So are we excited about basketball?

I'm not racist, the NFL was.

Many African American college quarterbacks went to Canada or switched positions when they left school. Freddie Solomon was another example.

But since you rang, many white college quarterbacks switched positions in the NFL as well. Does the name Eddie Podolak ring a bell?

The NFL WAS racist? Aren't they still racist since there are so many black players compared to white?

Well FWIW our 1980 team photo looked similar.

We only made the final four that year.

Ethnic makeup means little to me as long as the players in the uniforms can play.

Just my opinion, but I'm consistently sticking to it. Lickilter's first two teams were about 50/50 in ethnic mix, or maybe had slightly more African Americans. That didnt work out too well.

Not that I would complain about a mix similar to Kevin Mackey era Cleveland State, but those Mouse McFadden teams could ball!

I agree in principle.

If we had a team full of black guys, they would almost certainly be more athletic than a team full of white guys. I don't think that's really debatable, and it sure isn't racist. It's not so much a stereotype as it is fact. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

BUT.. As you pointed out, having a lot of minorities on the team doesn't automatically equate to winning. "Athletic" and "talented" can be mutually exclusive. Iowa has blown out some cupcakes in the non-con that are full of black guys. Why? I think one can assume that the talent level of those opponents wasn't too high regardless of race.

Our 2005-06 team that won 25 games and got a 3 seed was pretty white (Horner, Brunner, Haluska were our top players). Larry Bird and Kevin McHale were great players for the Celtics, yes? John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Steve Nash, etc.

Sure, I like the notion of our teams being more athletic and would definitely like to see it.. It sure couldn't hurt. That said, what we need is GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYERS. Race doesn't always have much to do with that. Give me a Joe Wieskamp over, say, an Ahmad Wagner any day. No offense intended to Ahmad, or whatever player I choose as an example, but JW has basketball skills. That's my choice.

Last edited:
I agree in principle.

If we had a team full of black guys, they would almost certainly be more athletic than a team full of white guys. I don't think that's really debatable, and it sure isn't racist. It's not so much a stereotype as it is fact. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

BUT.. As you pointed out, having a lot of minorities on the team doesn't automatically equate to winning. "Athletic" and "talented" can be mutually exclusive. Iowa has blown out some cupcakes in the non-con that are full of black guys. Why? I think one can assume that the talent level of those opponents wasn't too high regardless of race.

Our 2005-06 team that won 25 games and got a 3 seed was pretty white (Horner, Brunner, Haluska were our top players). Larry Bird and Kevin McHale were great players for the Celtics, yes? John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Steve Nash, etc.

Sure, I like the notion of our teams being more athletic and would definitely like to see it.. It sure couldn't hurt. That said, what we need is GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYERS. Race doesn't always have much to do with that. Give me a Joe Wieskamp over, say, an Ahmad Wagner any day. No offense intended to Ahmad, or whatever player I choose as an example, but JW has basketball skills. That's my choice.

So pretty much, we all would rather have 5 good white guys than 5 crappy black guys (yikes does that sound bad). But if you had to pick from 5 white guys you know nothing about and 5 black guys you know nothing about, you're better off picking the black guys.

So pretty much, we all would rather have 5 good white guys than 5 crappy black guys (yikes does that sound bad). But if you had to pick from 5 white guys you know nothing about and 5 black guys you know nothing about, you're better off picking the black guys.

Yeah, I suppose that about sums it up LOL. Putting it simply, I'll take skill over athleticism if I had to choose one over the other.

The NFL WAS racist? Aren't they still racist since there are so many black players compared to white?
I wonder how many African American NFL players today would have been playing baseball 40-50 years ago?

Racist, in terms of the old NFL, is of course a little extreme a word that I probably shouldn't have used to describe it. Confused and uninformed may have been better terms. But there was a time when it was difficult for an African American to make it at the QB position in the NFL. When Doug Williams had to answer questions like "Have you been a black quarterback all your life"?

To this day you have the unofficial "Rooney Rule" in the NFL when annual coaching vacancies come up. And how about when a Tony Dungy coached Indianapolis team knocked Herm Edwards and Kansas City out of the postseason years ago. Herm met Tony at the game's conclusion and told him to win this (the Super Bowl) for "all of us". Dungy did.

They were racist in the ideal widely hailed by coaches and management that African-American players couldn't handle the complexities of playing the QB position. Today's players are smashing that stereotype and players like Moon and Williams would have done it earlier given the chance.

Just you wait. Moss will be the first white stud corner in the NFL cementing P Parkers place as a defensive back mastermind. (A guy can hope can't we?)
Pat Fischer, Bobby Bryant and Steve Foley were all pretty good white CB's in the 1970's.

Fischer was probably closest to an actual stud. Not quite hall of fame material, but in the next tier of players. In his prime he made life miserable for Harold Carmichael and Drew Pearson.

Pat Fischer, Bobby Bryant and Steve Foley were all pretty good white CB's in the 1970's.

Fischer was probably closest to an actual stud. Not quite hall of fame material, but in the next tier of players. In his prime he made life miserable for Harold Carmichael and Drew Pearson.
And those are names I'm just not familiar with. A tad before my time and they must be as you describe just a tad below popular/famous enough for me to have really heard much about

And those are names I'm just not familiar with. A tad before my time and they must be as you describe just a tad below popular/famous enough for me to have really heard much about
Fischer was the best of that bunch, but yeah not too many elite Caucasian shut down corners.

Tennessee had that guy Finnegan. A few years ago who was physical and always starting fights with Andre Johnson but I think even he was a step short of elite.

Nolan Cromwell was pretty good I'm the late 70's, early 80's with the Rams but they moved him to safety pretty quick.

PS - i just looked and only the exhibition game and the Oral Roberts game are on BTN+ this year. So thats cool
Both in the same month as well which is nice. Only need to pay for a one month subscription. That is of course unless you use a different streaming option people post links to.

Cant get excited about Bball yet, still a lot of football and a bowl game. If the hawks can even get to 9 wins with a chance to get a 10th win in a bowl game that would be really good. It would mean beating three of the last 4 which would mean beating a ranked Wisky or a probably ranked Minny.

We shall see.

Bball anymore with me starts with the Big 10 season and maybe a couple early games like the ACC

Both in the same month as well which is nice. Only need to pay for a one month subscription. That is of course unless you use a different streaming option people post links to.

I am going to hold out until people post the links....hopefully I can just skate by and stream it off those for the 2 games....but I will pay if it comes right down to it.

I am going to hold out until people post the links....hopefully I can just skate by and stream it off those for the 2 games....but I will pay if it comes right down to it.

I've done both skating by and subscribing in the past. Not sure which I'll go with. Honestly leaning towards just trying to skate by since it's only 2 games. Like you said, if needed I'll pay.

How about Jason Sehorn? 1994-2003. :)

46481700508f25d96fce0cf425c61383.jpg

OK so i'm not a Fran Fan. Looking at the 2 Ball State/Bradley level guards we now have in the fold while a difference maker from Bettendorf Iowa takes the floor at Ohio State this year doesn't feel great. In talking to a person Close to Foster several weeks ago he said no way he was coming to Iowa. Maybe he has changed his mind since then but one has to ask why?
McCaffrey isn't going to have a championship level team at Iowa, Isn't going to make noise in the tournament and isn't going to send a bunch of players tot the NBA. Hasn't done it so far and this doesn't look like the answer
Wow that was about as negative as I get

This is such bullshit. If this was the case, why wouldn't he just commit then? He just recently stated it was down to Iowa and Iowa State.

Latest posts