Shouldn't We make the tournament?

That doesn't make any sense. You're basically saying that if you can run 40, ninety foot sprints @ 5 seconds each, you should be able to run 10, 20 or 30 more at the same speed. More possessions means you are getting up and down the court faster and more frequently. If your body gets fatigued,
you can't perform with the same precision. The first thing that goes is your ability to react quickly. The second thing that shows up is laziness on your help defense. Players start picking and choosing what they have the energy for. The next thing that happens is they stop moving without the ball, making hard cuts, etc. Your players/team become easier to defend. That's when the turnovers start to become more frequent. The shots start hitting the front of the rim because the legs are gone. Does any of this sound familiar from watching Fran's teams?

Your whole premise of this post is based on the assumption that only one team gets tired. If only one team got tired, why would it be the team that goes 11 deep? I don't think you thought that one over too well.

Really? Care to wager on whether those 4 seasons coincide with Fran's worst seasons from a Win/Loss standpoint? I'll wager on 2010-11, 2011-12, 2016-17 and 2017-18. You can have the other 4 seasons. How much do you want to bet?
2010-11. 2nd to last (record = 11-20)
2011-12. Last (18-17)
2016-17. Last (19-15)
2017-18. Last (14-19)
Those are Fran's worst seasons by record. Not a coincidence. You keep telling yourself PPG allowed is a worthless stat. I hope it makes you sleep better at night.

ISU was 9th in a 10 team league in 2013 and made the NCAA's.
ISU was 9th in a 10 team league in 2014 and finished #9 in the AP poll.
ISU was 10th in a 10 team league in 2015 and finished #9 in the AP poll.
ISU was 10th in a 10 team league in 2016 and finished #22 in the AP poll.
ISU was 9th in a 10 team league in 2017 and finished #16 in the AP poll.

I can sleep just fine thinking it's a worthless stat.

Then it never ends.
Hold on, hold on. Let's continue this... :D
What if Cook gets injured a 1/4 or 1/2 way thru the season and can't return? Will folks use that as an excuse to give Fran another year?
What if both Cook & JBo suffer this same fate?

What if Cook gets injured a 1/4 or 1/2 way thru the season and can't return? Will folks use that as an excuse to give Fran another year?

If the 2 best players get hurt on any team, any year, it should be considered a throw away year as far as judging the coach goes.

Realistically, Fran's buyout is just way too prohibitive. Fran just isn't getting canned after this season regardless of the results. This is 100% on Barta, and that clown deserves to get run out of town

Realistically, Fran's buyout is just way too prohibitive. Fran just isn't getting canned after this season regardless of the results. This is 100% on Barta, and that clown deserves to get run out of town
Nobody touches the Bionic Man!!

photostudio_1527008919666.jpg

Nobody touches the Bionic Man!!

photostudio_1527008919666.jpg

Whats even scarier is if you look at the following year...assuming he has 2 more terrible seasons. Fran will have a $7.6M buyout, which is still ridiculous, plus 2 of his own kids in the program, and he'll be recruiting a massive class to replace Bohannon, Moss, Kriener, Pemsl and Dailey (barring transfers and assuming Cook leaves early).

So you're looking at either:

A) Firing Fran, paying him $7.6M, watching his two kids leave the program, and needing to replace at least 7 players (2 McCaffery's and 5 seniors). A brand new coach wouldn't have enough time to recruit 7 decent kids so he (or she lol) would probably bring in transfers and throwaway kids. It would be a scorched earth scenario.

or

B) Keeping Fran around even though his last 3 teams with his "best recruits" have not performed, and letting him recruit the future of your program.

Both options would be completely awful. So IMO the "best" scenario is to just hope Fran turns this shitbox around in a hurry.

Again, thanks Gary

Whats even scarier is if you look at the following year...assuming he has 2 more terrible seasons. Fran will have a $7.6M buyout, which is still ridiculous, plus 2 of his own kids in the program, and he'll be recruiting a massive class to replace Bohannon, Moss, Kriener, Pemsl and Dailey (barring transfers and assuming Cook leaves early).

So you're looking at either:

A) Firing Fran, paying him $7.6M, watching his two kids leave the program, and needing to replace at least 7 players (2 McCaffery's and 5 seniors). A brand new coach wouldn't have enough time to recruit 7 decent kids so he (or she lol) would probably bring in transfers and throwaway kids. It would be a scorched earth scenario.

or

B) Keeping Fran around even though his last 3 teams with his "best recruits" have not performed, and letting him recruit the future of your program.

Both options would be completely awful. So IMO the "best" scenario is to just hope Fran turns this shitbox around in a hurry.

Again, thanks Gary
Gary needs a raise.

Jeremy-_Kyle-teeth-_MAIN.jpg

154614390.jpg.0.jpg

Your whole premise of this post is based on the assumption that only one team gets tired. If only one team got tired, why would it be the team that goes 11 deep? I don't think you thought that one over too well.
Not at all. You're under the assumption that both teams on the floor are choosing to expend their energy equally, on the same ends of the floor. I'll take my team and expend my energy on the defensive end of the floor against Fran, and slow the game down when I'm on offense. By virtue of Fran's teams playing up tempo on offense, I may have a lot more offensive possessions than usual. That doesn't mean I am coaching my team to play fast on the offensive end. The problem with Fran's teams and the "11 deep" game plan, is that his top 5 can't compete in the BIG. What does that say about his 6-11 players? This is why I've never liked the player platoons/ shorter rotations of the Tom Davis/Fran McCaffery type teams. I'd rather defend Michael Jordan for 25 minutes and his back up for 15, than guard him for 35 minutes and his back up for 5.
And I haven't even touched on the difference in the caliber of athlete. Tell me who you think is working harder on defense, guarding each other: Jordan Bohannon or ...well, pick any PG from a Sweet 16 team. Who do you think is going to wear out faster?

ISU was 9th in a 10 team league in 2013 and made the NCAA's.
ISU was 9th in a 10 team league in 2014 and finished #9 in the AP poll.
ISU was 10th in a 10 team league in 2015 and finished #9 in the AP poll.
ISU was 10th in a 10 team league in 2016 and finished #22 in the AP poll.
ISU was 9th in a 10 team league in 2017 and finished #16 in the AP poll.

I can sleep just fine thinking it's a worthless stat.
How did your team do when it went up against teams that actually played defense? Not very good. Actually managed to score 13 more against UConn but still couldn't stop them on the defensive end, got bounced. Managed a whopping 59 points against Alabama Birmingham, who was a really bad defensive team and got bounced in the second round. Not sure how you finished that season ranked 9th in the AP. Virginia busted your ass and held you 10 points below your per game average and dropped 10 more points on your defense, the next year. Scored 4 less and gave up 8 more, the year after that, against Purdue. There's a consistent theme among the years you chose. Which is precisely what I'm getting at. At some point in the season, you have to be able to stop the other team from scoring or you get your ass busted. But hey....you did get those coveted AP rankings at the end of those seasons. Are there banners hanging for them at Hilton?

Last edited:
How did your team do when it went up against teams that actually played defense? Not very good. Actually managed to score 13 more against UConn but still couldn't stop them on the defensive end, got bounced. Managed a whopping 59 points against Alabama Birmingham, who was a really bad defensive team and got bounced in the second round. Not sure how you finished that season ranked 9th in the AP. Virginia busted your ass and held you 10 points below your per game average and dropped 10 more points on your defense, the next year. Scored 4 less and gave up 8 more, the year after that, against Purdue. There's a consistent theme among the years you chose. Which is precisely what I'm getting at. At some point in the season, you have to be able to stop the other team from scoring or you get your ass busted. But hey....you did get those coveted AP rankings at the end of those seasons. Are there banners hanging for them at Hilton?
Not sure about banners but there is a statue for a coach who won barely half his games for the school and was chosen after a coach named Kryzyzewski turned the job down.

All we can do is hope last year was just an outlier and Fran bounces back and the team has a great year.

If that doesn’t happen and we again stink up the year and finish in last place or second to last place this program will dumpster fire. Comparable the Lickliter level but much, much, worse. At least we had the option to fire Lickliter.

Also if that happened I see there being no way Barta could avoid stepping down by resigning. We would be stuck with Fran for at least two more years.

On the bright side I saved 10% on my car insurance................ LMAO!!!!! All joking aside I think that WeisKamp is going to be a big enough of a impact player and bring enough to the team to get us in the upper half of the conference and get us into the NCAA tournament.......................... DEFENSE BE DAMNED!!!