Should Beth Goetz Rescind Brian's Contract Stipulations?

For sure with the players. Well look at how many players were a part of that whole racial suit. Like 15ish all with agendas. How many guys has BF coached since he first came to Iowa? Hundreds I'm sure. You'll always have some disgruntled few upset about their PT or how they were used or whatever. Every program has that all the time.

Listen to the WUW podcast with Kluver, Drake and Ward. They've had all kinds of former Hawks on to interview them. Some teammates of theirs some guys that've came up after them and most all of them genuinely like BF. They have no dog in the race now to blow smoke about it.
Good to know. Thanks. I dont know why I assumed most players don't like him.

BF is not holding Iowa back, his dad is. Period.
Yes big picture it's on KF. That's moving the goal posts on what I'm referring to though. He handed the O to his kid. It's been BFs evaluating, recruiting, 'developing' and coaching or lack their of on all these QBs and the entire O the last 6 yrs right? I'm speaking towards . To have been stuck with Petras for 3 yrs with nobody being any better worthy of playing over him is a hell of an indictment to have on an OC. I mean they knew better then everyone how bad Petras was.

This has been an Oline and QB recruiting and developmental issue both of which BF is extremely responsible for. One could include WRs as well but it's so tough to evaluate that part of it with a crappy Oline and QB both.

They had to have wanted to replace Petras his last couple yrs they just couldn't due to the lack of options that they gave themselves. They used winning games as the excuse to not have to. Winning despite your qb is what they did. But BF painted them in that corner. By not recruiting/hitting the portal sooner coaching up the guys better any of those things but he didn't/couldn't. That's on him and his job evaluation. Offenses ranked in the 80s and lower shouldn't be acceptable even though they've won 8 or 9 games doing it. Strive to be better that's settling. Putting all that pressure on Parker to constantly be pulling not only his own weight but the Os isn't remotely fair.

And yes KF is who is responsible for the overall situation and if he'd just make the right call and let his kid go at least that part of the topic could be done. Nobody would suggest KF should do a 180 and go do what Wisconsin did. Maybe a few might but I don't think most would. There's certainly some middle ground to shaking up the O and improving upon what it's recently been. We haven't even gotten into the O itself and the situational play calling part of it all. That's another rabbit hole to go down.

If you like listening to podcasts I do highly recommend listening to the Washed up Walkons. Go back and listen to some of their interviews with guys going back to that time with the lawsuits and everything. They had lots of guys on. But yeah guys like Wirfs think the world of the guy.

Yes big picture it's on KF. That's moving the goal posts on what I'm referring to though. He handed the O to his kid. It's been BFs evaluating, recruiting, 'developing' and coaching or lack their of on all these QBs and the entire O the last 6 yrs right? I'm speaking towards . To have been stuck with Petras for 3 yrs with nobody being any better worthy of playing over him is a hell of an indictment to have on an OC. I mean they knew better then everyone how bad Petras was.

This has been an Oline and QB recruiting and developmental issue both of which BF is extremely responsible for. One could include WRs as well but it's so tough to evaluate that part of it with a crappy Oline and QB both.

They had to have wanted to replace Petras his last couple yrs they just couldn't due to the lack of options that they gave themselves. They used winning games as the excuse to not have to. Winning despite your qb is what they did. But BF painted them in that corner. By not recruiting/hitting the portal sooner coaching up the guys better any of those things but he didn't/couldn't. That's on him and his job evaluation. Offenses ranked in the 80s and lower shouldn't be acceptable even though they've won 8 or 9 games doing it. Strive to be better that's settling. Putting all that pressure on Parker to constantly be pulling not only his own weight but the Os isn't remotely fair.

And yes KF is who is responsible for the overall situation and if he'd just make the right call and let his kid go at least that part of the topic could be done. Nobody would suggest KF should do a 180 and go do what Wisconsin did. Maybe a few might but I don't think most would. There's certainly some middle ground to shaking up the O and improving upon what it's recently been. We haven't even gotten into the O itself and the situational play calling part of it all. That's another rabbit hole to go down.
I still put that all on Kirk. Kirk makes all the personale decisions at Iowa. He decides who plays, who gets recruited. Petras was QB because that's what Kirk wanted. I am pretty damn sure Brian didn't want that. But again, he wasn't calling the shots. If you've heard any IV's with Brian over the last 3 to 4 seasons, he's made it pretty clear to anyone that sometimes it's the players. I have 0 and I mean 0 thoughts that BF wanted Spencer to be the guy. Sometimes you do what the boss says, sometimes you're hamstrung by the ingredients you have. It's not like BF hasn't coached any offensive standouts while being the OC at Iowa.

It all falls on Kirk

Kirk wants to put all the pressure on Parker and wants Parker to constantly be pulling the weight and the O's weight. That's by design and has been Iowa football for 2 decades. It's been KF's basic recipe for success and it's made him the most successful coach to ever roam the sidelines in Iowa City. He's going to walk away likely the 2nd most winning coach in B1G history and he's done it with Defense and Special teams the whole way. Sometimes the offense was better than average, but you rarely saw much better than that, average. At this point, we have enough data points to realize that it comes from the top down. You act like Iowa has never had a decent offense with Brian. He coached a QB that threw 68 TD's and 8300 yards in 3 years. Iowa had the 2nd best offense in the B1G in 2020.

Brian Ferentz is Kirk's heel just like Greg Davis was, just like KOK was... see the pattern?

Let them make fun, none of it has any teeth. Unless they are Bama, GA or LSU supporter, they really don't have a voice that's worth taking note of. You said it yourself, in SEC country or nationally for that matter, Iowa doesn't matter so talking heads will take low hanging fruit like this and run with it. They have no idea about Iowa winning more than just about anyone besides 10 schools or so the last several years and they just jump on the BF train just to "have a take".... likely to get attention of our fan base, who help perpetuate it because that will get them likes, watches and clicks.

The national perception isn't that nepotism is causing Iowa football to be bad. Why do people think that? How do I feel confident that the national perception isn't that BF is making Iowa bad? Why do I know that?

Because Iowa football is not bad. Quite good actually, so anyone selling anything else doesn't have the ultimate stat behind them in this argument.

Iowa fans hate it though and that gets echo chambered by outsiders at our expense. Even if SEC fans don't want to admit it, a team that is routinely in the top 25 is nationally relevant. They aren't competing for a 4 spot playoff, but then again, only about 5 schools are regularly.

In addition, I don't think people are really aware of how much nepotism happens in college coaching. Happens more often than just Iowa, for krist sake.

In addition, I don't think people are really aware of how much nepotism happens in college coaching. Happens more often than just Iowa, for krist sake.
There are father son duo's fucking everywhere, brothers, cousins, nephews, in laws on every fucking staff in the country (NBA, NCAA, NFL and College) and a lot of them have never came close to touching Kirk's jock as far as success.

I just don't give AF who our OC is, but since it's BF, this is where we are. It's Kirk's bed, he could have made things a hell of a lot easier on himself and his kid...but they are not embarassments and laughing stocks of the country. Give me a break. Things aren't bad with Iowa football. It could get bad, then you will hear me sing a way different tune...but win 8+ games a year and I will keep my mouth shut. I don't care how you do it, just keep doing it, over and over and over.

There are father son duo's fucking everywhere, brothers, cousins, nephews, in laws on every fucking staff in the country (NBA, NCAA, NFL and College) and a lot of them have never came close to touching Kirk's jock as far as success.

I just don't give AF who our OC is, but since it's BF, this is where we are. It's Kirk's bed, he could have made things a hell of a lot easier on himself and his kid...but they are not embarassments and laughing stocks of the country. Give me a break. Things aren't bad with Iowa football. It could get bad, then you will hear me sing a way different tune...but win 8+ games a year and I will keep my mouth shut. I don't care how you do it, just keep doing it, over and over and over.

If it is mid-October and BF is in lame duck status mode, it is going to get super uncomfortable. As I stated before, I'm not the biggest BF fan, but I don't want this get ugly. With CM's health so fragile, it is leaning like it is going to get ugly.

Players seem to like Brian Ferentz? That's news to me. He was one of the coaches mentioned during the racial allegations that got the strength coach fired.

I am not sure if fans ever liked him. At first he came across as smug and arrogant who just babbled nonsense in interviews. Lately he is acting more humble but still does not come across as likable. More like a guy who knows he should have been fired but still can't resign out of principle.
Wrong principle for Brian it’s principal as in $900,000 a year. Where else would he make that kind of money? If he doesn’t get it figured out this year no one in college football would touch him at $900,000 a year. Maybe and I do mean maybe he could get an assistant coaching job at $250,000 a year and that’s a big MAYBE!

In just two years Brian will make more than most Iowa households do in a lifetime. It’s ridiculous money for a guy who is among the worst at his profession.

Still I am pulling for him and the team. He wore the Iowa Uniform and most of us likely cheered for him. However that is no excuse for his lack of performance. Ultimately he is responsible for the offense, offensive assistant coaches, offensive players at Iowa, offensive play calling, and future offensive player recruiting. One major injury to Cade and the offense is going to be among the worst in the country again.

I hope that doesn’t happen. I wish him nothing but the best. I love it when we win and hope we can get it rolling. I am just upset because if we don’t get things fixed soon loses will be coming and maybe as soon as this Saturday.

Last edited:
I still put that all on Kirk. Kirk makes all the personale decisions at Iowa. He decides who plays, who gets recruited. Petras was QB because that's what Kirk wanted. I am pretty damn sure Brian didn't want that. But again, he wasn't calling the shots. If you've heard any IV's with Brian over the last 3 to 4 seasons, he's made it pretty clear to anyone that sometimes it's the players. I have 0 and I mean 0 thoughts that BF wanted Spencer to be the guy. Sometimes you do what the boss says, sometimes you're hamstrung by the ingredients you have. It's not like BF hasn't coached any offensive standouts while being the OC at Iowa.

It all falls on Kirk

Kirk wants to put all the pressure on Parker and wants Parker to constantly be pulling the weight and the O's weight. That's by design and has been Iowa football for 2 decades. It's been KF's basic recipe for success and it's made him the most successful coach to ever roam the sidelines in Iowa City. He's going to walk away likely the 2nd most winning coach in B1G history and he's done it with Defense and Special teams the whole way. Sometimes the offense was better than average, but you rarely saw much better than that, average. At this point, we have enough data points to realize that it comes from the top down. You act like Iowa has never had a decent offense with Brian. He coached a QB that threw 68 TD's and 8300 yards in 3 years. Iowa had the 2nd best offense in the B1G in 2020.

Brian Ferentz is Kirk's heel just like Greg Davis was, just like KOK was... see the pattern?
I literally said big picture it's on Kirk... You sound as though Iowa doesn't even need an OC though. That KF micromanages the O. Sorry but he doesn't. Lots of players have debunked that over the yrs too. Does KF decide to go for it on 4th downs or not yeah most all HCs do that and make big decisions. But if you think it's all KF all the time I don't know what to tell ya.

Yeah Stanley wasn't terrible even though his completion % coulda been better. For every big game he had against an OSU he'd have the stinkers against Wisconsin. We all hoped that Petras woulda been a better version of what Stanley was when he came in. Highly recruited Cali kid with a big arm. But he stunk day 1 and literally never improved over his time at Iowa. But it's more then that. No other Qb that had been in the room was developed to replace him. Be it Padilla, Hogan who bailed, or Labas or QBs They had as low of a bar as it could be to be able to take that job from Petras but couldn't.

Here's an article that breaks down how the O has been under BF. https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/l...he-iowa-hawkeyes-offense-under-brian-ferentz/

If you're cool with all this and being well below average most of the time offensively just because we aren't having seasons like ISU most of the time then good for you I guess. I think even though Iowa's won a lot of games and put guys in the pros they can still strive to be better and improve the O. We set such high expectations for the D and special teams but not the O. That's ridiculous.

Also that 2020 covid yr was a weird ass season for lots of programs. I'd damn near throw that out.

Ya know who is a laughing stock of college football? Nebraska. Ya know what they keep doing? Changing OC's and HC's.

We've changed OCs three times in Kurt's tenure and the high-water mark on each just keeps going down. O'Keefe - 3 straight top ten finishes, stellar run of offense from 2008-2010, won a BCS game after the 2009 season. Davis - absolute trainwreck, had a decent team in 2015 that was really aided by a terrible schedule, got absolutely destroyed in a BCS game. The Brain - look, I want to like this guy. The 2017 game against Ohio was the best Iowa game I have ever attended in person. Just absolutely glorious. I have given the guy the benefit of the doubt for years based on that one game.

It's getting hard to watch. I just want to go retro, bring O'Keefe back and relegate the Brain to an offensive analyst who just works on the line and run game. The guy is just in way over his head. I don't have high expectations, but this guy is literally worse than Greg Davis, which I never thought I would say about anyone. And to even defend the Brain somewhat, maybe it ain't his fault, the o-line is clearly broken, but it has had glaring problems during his entire tenure that have persisted even when we have multiple NFL guys on the damned line. It's an absolute travesty.

I look at it this way:

When a new CEO is hired by a corporation, that CEO does not renegotiate all the standing contracts. I myself have been through 3 different CEO's and 5 (I think) CIO's (I worked in IT). My contracts were never renegotiated when the new person took over. Brian's contract should not be renegotiated until it expires or comes near to expiration. After all, with all the money coming in through the football program it truly is a business.

I literally said big picture it's on Kirk... You sound as though Iowa doesn't even need an OC though. That KF micromanages the O. Sorry but he doesn't. Lots of players have debunked that over the yrs too. Does KF decide to go for it on 4th downs or not yeah most all HCs do that and make big decisions. But if you think it's all KF all the time I don't know what to tell ya.

Yeah Stanley wasn't terrible even though his completion % coulda been better. For every big game he had against an OSU he'd have the stinkers against Wisconsin. We all hoped that Petras woulda been a better version of what Stanley was when he came in. Highly recruited Cali kid with a big arm. But he stunk day 1 and literally never improved over his time at Iowa. But it's more then that. No other Qb that had been in the room was developed to replace him. Be it Padilla, Hogan who bailed, or Labas or QBs They had as low of a bar as it could be to be able to take that job from Petras but couldn't.

Here's an article that breaks down how the O has been under BF. https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/l...he-iowa-hawkeyes-offense-under-brian-ferentz/

If you're cool with all this and being well below average most of the time offensively just because we aren't having seasons like ISU most of the time then good for you I guess. I think even though Iowa's won a lot of games and put guys in the pros they can still strive to be better and improve the O. We set such high expectations for the D and special teams but not the O. That's ridiculous.

Also that 2020 covid yr was a weird ass season for lots of programs. I'd damn near throw that out.
Ya can't just throw out things that go against your argument, people who do that never make any sense to me. He's not very good if you take out that one great time he was? That's not how stats work. How bout we just take out the year his offense was the worse? We can't do that.

I do get it though, it was a Covid season and things were indeed a little wonky.

So, you're saying it's on Brian for not developing the next QB and not the guy calling the shots on the entire thing? I think they wanted guys to come in and beat Petras, they couldn't. Can we put some of that on Brian, probably, but more on Kirk....he's the one making calls on personale 100%, he's the one deciding scheme and game plan, 100%. He was also making the call who was starting at QB, who we recruited at QB and who he wanted to get most of the downloads when it came to investment.

Again, I am not "ok" with the offense but I am ok with Iowa's results the last decade. It's literally never been better. How can I I possibly not be happy with winning 70% of our games since 2015. I love it. I love cheering for a winner man. Winning is great. It's way better than losing.

Teams constantly win with expectations from their O and not their D right? Look at the NFL? People win all the time with D and not their O? It's ridiculous to rely on one side of the ball to win football games.? That's how it's been done by most through out time. It would be ridiculous NOT to do that and not play to the strengths of your team

Iowa could finish in the bottom 10 of every offensive category every single season and I would NOT give a shit if they continue to win at the clip we've now become acustom to at Iowa. That's most important in my book personally. Don't let this gravy train end. Don't let the football factory close up. Don't let the good ole days end and hold onto it as long as you can - I have a lot of doubts where Iowa sits in the future of college athletics.

Again, I am not "ok" with the offense but I am ok with Iowa's results the last decade. It's literally never been better. How can I I possibly not be happy with winning 70% of our games since 2015. I love it. I love cheering for a winner man. Winning is great. It's way better than losing.

False. The decade of 2001 to 2010 was markedly better. Heisman runner up, number 2 overall pick, Orange Bowl berth, Orange Bowl win in 2009, Fat Cats, loss to Western Michigan, 4 top 10 finishes in the decade, lofty expectations (which fell way short) in 2005 and 2010, biggest win in modern era in the Big House, etc. I could go on, but you get the point, the decade when Ken O'Keefe was our offensive coordinator was the best decade of Iowa football. The next best decade was prolly the '80's. The run we are on now is fine, but it has been better. Been worse, too. But it's been better, particularly when O'Keefe was the playcaller.

I look at it this way:

When a new CEO is hired by a corporation, that CEO does not renegotiate all the standing contracts. I myself have been through 3 different CEO's and 5 (I think) CIO's (I worked in IT). My contracts were never renegotiated when the new person took over. Brian's contract should not be renegotiated until it expires or comes near to expiration. After all, with all the money coming in through the football program it truly is a business.

Under modern American capitalism, a new CIO usually means a new outsourcing contract with an outside provider loaded with H1Bs and the termination of all Americans save for a couple who know where the proverbial bodies are buried. So no renegotiation of contracts, just a slew of pink slips. I don't think most here would have any problem outsourcing playcalling to WatsonX or some other capable AI tool.

Does 24.5 Points per game get rounded to 25?

I don't think it's possible to rescind the agreement from the public's point of view. It was public pressure that forced the pay cut and the 25 point measure. The average of 25 points per game had to be agreed to by the parties involved unless Barta gave BF an ultimatum to resign or agree to the number.

Wrong principle for Brian it’s principal as in $900,000 a year. Where else would he make that kind of money? If he doesn’t get it figured out this year no one in college football would touch him at $900,000 a year. Maybe and I do mean maybe he could get an assistant coaching job at $250,000 a year and that’s a big MAYBE!

In just two years Brian will make more than most Iowa households do in a lifetime. It’s ridiculous money for a guy who is among the worst at his profession.

Still I am pulling for him and the team. He wore the Iowa Uniform and most of us likely cheered for him. However that is no excuse for his lack of performance. Ultimately he is responsible for the offense, offensive assistant coaches, offensive players at Iowa, offensive play calling, and future offensive player recruiting. One major injury to Cade and the offense is going to be among the worst in the country again.

I hope that doesn’t happen. I wish him nothing but the best. I love it when we win and hope we can get it rolling. I am just upset because if we don’t get things fixed soon loses will be coming and maybe as soon as this Saturday.
You are fucking high if you think Brian isn’t going to make way more than that at almost every potential next gig he’s going to see. What most Iowa fans don’t realize is how respected his family and pedigree is with people who know the game. That’s a lot money to me and you but he’s going to be gainfully employed for for a long while either at Iowa or somewhere else. He’s a good coach, this is his dads program and everyone knows it.

It's an internet myth. BF has some wicked quick smart-ass remarks. Probably rubs some people the wrong way, especially sensitive and easily offended personalities. That turns quickly into an "internet truth" and is repeated continuously no one remembers or cares about how it started.

So, you're saying it's on Brian for not developing the next QB and not the guy calling the shots on the entire thing? I think they wanted guys to come in and beat Petras, they couldn't. Can we put some of that on Brian, probably, but more on Kirk....he's the one making calls on personale 100%, he's the one deciding scheme and game plan, 100%. He was also making the call who was starting at QB, who we recruited at QB and who he wanted to get most of the downloads when it came to investment.
This was part of last season's big season changing mistake. I was BF's side in that argument.

Lot of division last season. Everyone liked Spencer and Alex had shown considerable inferiority during his 21 starts. Many of the players, especially the skill players wanted to give Joe Labas a shot, and the offensive coaches. KF overruled everyone. Anzio demonstrates you can be frozen by overcaution. Kirk was frozen into this torture chamber.

Ya can't just throw out things that go against your argument, people who do that never make any sense to me. He's not very good if you take out that one great time he was? That's not how stats work. How bout we just take out the year his offense was the worse? We can't do that.

I do get it though, it was a Covid season and things were indeed a little wonky.

Teams constantly win with expectations from their O and not their D right? Look at the NFL? People win all the time with D and not their O? It's ridiculous to rely on one side of the ball to win football games.? That's how it's been done by most through out time. It would be ridiculous NOT to do that and not play to the strengths of your team

Iowa could finish in the bottom 10 of every offensive category every single season and I would NOT give a shit if they continue to win at the clip we've now become acustom to at Iowa. That's most important in my book personally. Don't let this gravy train end. Don't let the football factory close up. Don't let the good ole days end and hold onto it as long as you can - I have a lot of doubts where Iowa sits in the future of college athletics.
Even if we include the 2020 yr the stats that are in that article it doesn't help your argument. In that yr you say was so great Iowa was 40th in points, 97th in passing yards, 58th in rushing and 95th in completion %. I mean the 40th in points isn't terrible but even that's not something to be striving for as an offense. But that's been our ceiling. Nothing about me wanting to toss that out goes against my argument at all.

You're bottom lining things saying winning is it. Ok. Well in the 7 yrs since 2015 when they went to the Rose Bowl Iowa's had 3 seasons with 5 losses including last yr. As a fan base settling for that and acting like that's great when the D and special teams are elite is just straight up lame. We set an artificial ceiling for ourselves by doing that. There's more to strive for if we'd just get an offense.

Granted I think they really have tried now personnel wise they really overhauled the O with the skill position guys. But the Oline continues to be troublesome. Do we have confidence in BF to develop game plans week to week and call plays that'll hide the Olines issues? He really hasn't yet as that is a tough thing to do. But no sympathy for him he's 7 yrs into his gig figure it out. Quit running the same plays that don't work over and over and wasting downs. I'd start with that.

Pretty bad when you see the Twins hang 20 on Cleveland the other day! Baseball, talking Baseball. I think BF golf's to much, to used to low scoring. ....yes folks, lot of sarcasm!

Latest posts