Should Beth Goetz Rescind Brian's Contract Stipulations?

Your facts are correct but it does not tell the whole story.

You're not well acquianted with the national perception. listen to podcasts, watch twitter, read articles. Its obvious and its over the top and its gone beyond reasonable. But its all there if you have ears to hear it.
here is one example of many Link

And I think Beth should tear up that contract provision.
Also, I am very well acquianted with national perception. I listen to national football podcasts, I live in the Omaha area so I get a complete outsider look at Iowa football from our biggest rival daily. They talk a lot of shit about BF and the Iowa offense. Iowa's offense is bad and that's the perception, nationally, every where.....I don't argue that at all, but don't let that cloud your perception of Iowa football. NU makes fun of BF, but they don't make fun of the Iowa program. It's a stance of envy. It's a stance of jealousy. Iowa football is admired nationally and our HC is going for 200 wins this weekend. A guy that's going for 200 wins gets to pick his staff. He could hire his grandma to coach the Linebackers, who gives a shit? He just gets to call the shots and as long as the bottom line is winning 70% of your games, the national perception is wrong.

Beth Goetz inherited this mess. She should let it play out this season and then assert her leadership. My opinion is that Brian has not yet shown the maturity to be a head coach nor has he performed at all well in his position at OC. Cade for OC!

I don't think either of us can truely quantify that it's "true", but most of this is perpetuated by our own fan base and then amplified by our rivals. It's like we're trolling ourselves. Remind your folks in TN that they've had 3 losing seasons since 2015, that's bad. That's somethig to be upset about. That's a reason to make a coaching change. They likely are qualified to address Iowa football woes because they truely know all about things being "bad".

It's not bad at Iowa. It's far from bad. The offense is bad, but IMO, football is a bottom line business. Winning should be all that matters, when it gets bad ....like 3 losing seasons in the last 6 or 7 seasons, I will want things to change....otherwise, keep winning, keep being one of the top 25 programs in the country and keep that churning as long as we can have it because it won't last.
You said the 'only people that have a bad perception of Iowa is Iowa fans' in regards to this whole BF thing pretty much. I can confidently say that's just not true at all. So what perception of Iowa/BF do other fans have then if not that? Trust me I gave TN fans all kinds of shit over the their previous coaching fiascos. Some really wanted Schiano around here bad... They kinda got things going now though so their memories are short.

I live on the western side of the state there's damn near as many Bama fans around here as TN with some Ole Miss ones sprinkled in. They think Iowa is just a program that isn't nationally relevant. They don't threaten to be in the playoffs very much and are just there. Some have the racist stuff thought about with Doyle and that whole thing still but mostly they bring up BF. They don't bring up us being TEU or how many dudes they have in the NFL. It's mostly negative stuff...

They root for us to beat the OSUs Michigans and PSUs but they don't care beyond that. This BF thing is just something to make fun of cause it is...

Yes it shoulda been her first order of business next to all the Swarm NIL promoting she's been doing which is fantastic. It's her call now she doesn't have to honor what Barta did. It's a joke of a contract. My whole thing with Barta even thinking about putting that in front of BF to begin with is ridiculous. If you think that's necessary then you don't think he's good enough. So that alone should've resulted in him letting Brian go. It's like yr 6 or 7 for Brian not 1 or 2. He's way past any learning curve.

No other OC or DC has any special job stipulations attached to their contracts that I know of. For good reason. It inevitably was going to bring on this sort of unnecessary publicity. It's the first and last thing that'll be talked about every game. Players/ Recruits going forward are going to be asked about it other coaches will negatively recruit us due to it. The snowball effect is real.

It's really easy to make a subjective decision on keeping a coordinator or not. The main reason I think Barta did it was because he knew there is literally no performance based reason that KF would ever fire Brian. And that's the problem....
Yea, it just needs to be hacked. But I thought about it and with Beth just as the current interim, does she think the has the authority to do it now or I wonder if she thinks it should be done by the permanent AD who is hired. It looks to be her anyway. Maybe she is just waiting. I dunno.

I live in TN and this is certainly not true.... Not even close. Fans here know all about the nepotism that is going on and how bad BF has been lately. I think the media has done a pretty good job at making sure that college football fans know all about the laughing stock our O was last yr and this silly ass contract that has BF on a short leash.

This is like yr 7 for BF now. It's nothing personal against the guy. Players do seem to really like him. Past guys don't have a bad word to say about him either many have great things to say about him. It's not about landing some great guys in the portal which is absolutely fantastic with how the game is nowadays. He'll have to keep that going. But this is all about production on the field. Iowa is too good, too proud to be at the bottom of the barrel production wise like they were last yr. They hadn't been great before that either. But after last yr there's literally no OC that woulda survived that and kept his job but he did and everyone knows why. So he's on the clock with the new AD.

Here's my guess as to why Goetz is keeping the contract and not tearing it up. Because she knows how all this looks. She knows how bad everything has been so now she can let this season play out and if he doesn't meet the 25 pts/game it's an easy out for her to let him go. It's just how it'd have to be and it's not her playing the 'bad guy' to KF either so much.

If say Iowa has a really bad O again without such a contract in place would she stand up to KF and say he's gotta go? That'd be tough to do I bet... Keeping the contract let's her avoid that.
Players seem to like Brian Ferentz? That's news to me. He was one of the coaches mentioned during the racial allegations that got the strength coach fired.

I am not sure if fans ever liked him. At first he came across as smug and arrogant who just babbled nonsense in interviews. Lately he is acting more humble but still does not come across as likable. More like a guy who knows he should have been fired but still can't resign out of principle.

You said the 'only people that have a bad perception of Iowa is Iowa fans' in regards to this whole BF thing pretty much. I can confidently say that's just not true at all. So what perception of Iowa/BF do other fans have then if not that? Trust me I gave TN fans all kinds of shit over the their previous coaching fiascos. Some really wanted Schiano around here bad... They kinda got things going now though so their memories are short.

I live on the western side of the state there's damn near as many Bama fans around here as TN with some Ole Miss ones sprinkled in. They think Iowa is just a program that isn't nationally relevant. They don't threaten to be in the playoffs very much and are just there. Some have the racist stuff thought about with Doyle and that whole thing still but mostly they bring up BF. They don't bring up us being TEU or how many dudes they have in the NFL. It's mostly negative stuff...

They root for us to beat the OSUs Michigans and PSUs but they don't care beyond that. This BF thing is just something to make fun of cause it is...
Let them make fun, none of it has any teeth. Unless they are Bama, GA or LSU supporter, they really don't have a voice that's worth taking note of. You said it yourself, in SEC country or nationally for that matter, Iowa doesn't matter so talking heads will take low hanging fruit like this and run with it. They have no idea about Iowa winning more than just about anyone besides 10 schools or so the last several years and they just jump on the BF train just to "have a take".... likely to get attention of our fan base, who help perpetuate it because that will get them likes, watches and clicks.

The national perception isn't that nepotism is causing Iowa football to be bad. Why do people think that? How do I feel confident that the national perception isn't that BF is making Iowa bad? Why do I know that?

Because Iowa football is not bad. Quite good actually, so anyone selling anything else doesn't have the ultimate stat behind them in this argument.

Iowa fans hate it though and that gets echo chambered by outsiders at our expense. Even if SEC fans don't want to admit it, a team that is routinely in the top 25 is nationally relevant. They aren't competing for a 4 spot playoff, but then again, only about 5 schools are regularly.

Aren't all assistant coach contracts 1 or 2 years in length. So in a sense, every coach is fired and then re-hired after the season is over.

Could Brian be fired as the OC and then rehired again? Probably depends on if Kirk sticks around. If Beth insists on firing Brian and not re-hiring him, I could see Kirk calling it quits at that point.

I thinks its safe to say Brian will never get the head coaching job at Iowa. That ship has sailed. Once Kirk retires, we will never see Brian again.

Players seem to like Brian Ferentz? That's news to me. He was one of the coaches mentioned during the racial allegations that got the strength coach fired.

I am not sure if fans ever liked him. At first he came across as smug and arrogant who just babbled nonsense in interviews. Lately he is acting more humble but still does not come across as likable. More like a guy who knows he should have been fired but still can't resign out of principle.
For sure with the players. Well look at how many players were a part of that whole racial suit. Like 15ish all with agendas. How many guys has BF coached since he first came to Iowa? Hundreds I'm sure. You'll always have some disgruntled few upset about their PT or how they were used or whatever. Every program has that all the time.

Listen to the WUW podcast with Kluver, Drake and Ward. They've had all kinds of former Hawks on to interview them. Some teammates of theirs some guys that've came up after them and most all of them genuinely like BF. They have no dog in the race now to blow smoke about it.

Let them make fun, none of it has any teeth. Unless they are Bama, GA or LSU supporter, they really don't have a voice that's worth taking note of. You said it yourself, in SEC country or nationally for that matter, Iowa doesn't matter so talking heads will take low hanging fruit like this and run with it. They have no idea about Iowa winning more than just about anyone besides 10 schools or so the last several years and they just jump on the BF train just to "have a take".... likely to get attention of our fan base, who help perpetuate it because that will get them likes, watches and clicks.

The national perception isn't that nepotism is causing Iowa football to be bad. Why do people think that? How do I feel confident that the national perception isn't that BF is making Iowa bad? Why do I know that?

Because Iowa football is not bad. Quite good actually, so anyone selling anything else doesn't have the ultimate stat behind them in this argument.

Iowa fans hate it though and that gets echo chambered by outsiders at our expense. Even if SEC fans don't want to admit it, a team that is routinely in the top 25 is nationally relevant. They aren't competing for a 4 spot playoff, but then again, only about 5 schools are regularly.
It's not that the nepotism is causing Iowa to be bad. But it is indeed holding them back from being better. That's a real legit thing. The O the last couple yrs has been terrible. That pod that NCHawker linked to that OSU guy spoke directly to that actually.

And sure how one defines being relevant is what it is. I think Iowa's been relevant many years nationally. Knocking on the playoffs door isn't my only criteria for that either. But to some it is. With the playoffs being what they'll be going forward and divisions going away with conference expanding I suspect we'll have some new ways of looking at what being nationally relevant is then before too.

I don't think either of us can truely quantify that it's "true", but most of this is perpetuated by our own fan base and then amplified by our rivals. It's like we're trolling ourselves. Remind your folks in TN that they've had 3 losing seasons since 2015, that's bad. That's somethig to be upset about. That's a reason to make a coaching change. They likely are qualified to address Iowa football woes because they truely know all about things being "bad".

It's not bad at Iowa. It's far from bad. The offense is bad, but IMO, football is a bottom line business. Winning should be all that matters, when it gets bad ....like 3 losing seasons in the last 6 or 7 seasons, I will want things to change....otherwise, keep winning, keep being one of the top 25 programs in the country and keep that churning as long as we can have it because it won't last.

They lost 3 games last year they had no business losing if they had a competent offense (ISU, Ill, Neb). Hell, they would have been in the OSU game if the offense had just kneeled 3 times and punted each possession, as opposed to actively aiding the Buckeyes. This is affecting the bottom line, and how bad do you let it get before you address it?

It's not that the nepotism is causing Iowa to be bad. But it is indeed holding them back from being better. That's a real legit thing. The O the last couple yrs has been terrible. That pod that NCHawker linked to that OSU guy spoke directly to that actually.

And sure how one defines being relevant is what it is. I think Iowa's been relevant many years nationally. Knocking on the playoffs door isn't my only criteria for that either. But to some it is. With the playoffs being what they'll be going forward and divisions going away with conference expanding I suspect we'll have some new ways of looking at what being nationally relevant is then before too.
BF is not holding Iowa back, his dad is. Period.

They lost 3 games last year they had no business losing if they had a competent offense (ISU, Ill, Neb). Hell, they would have been in the OSU game if the offense had just kneeled 3 times and punted each possession, as opposed to actively aiding the Buckeyes. This is affecting the bottom line, and how bad do you let it get before you address it?
It's going to take losing more games then we win. Things are bad then. Change is needed then. When you aren't winning.

You just named 3 of the top 20 defenses in all of college football last season. No one did well on offense vs IL, ISU or TOSU. That wasn't exclusive to Iowa.

Iowa lost to NU because our starting corner left the game in the 1st quarter and Iowa got torched by a guy who's starting for the Tampa Bay Bucs now. Not to mention we had a back up QB for most of the game as well. Should have been able to beat little Debbie, but I don't put too much of that on BF, as he didn't get torched through the air by Trey Palmer.

I just got back from dinner and because the restaurant was packed me and my buddy had to sit at the bar. Some Georgia fans from Atlanta got seated next to us. They barged into our football convo to tell us they were Georgia fans, as if we couldn't tell from the hat and shirts. They asked who I cheered for. When I told them Iowa they said, and I quote, "Sorry about your offense." That's a direct quote from fans of the back to back defending national champions. We're worse than irrelevant. We're a damned laughingstock.

I also will throw this out there. Our defense is likely to take a step back this year. Is it any coincidence that our team put more focus on Offensive recruiting this off season? I am sure the gambling thing is hurting our depth short term him and that plays into it....but everyone who wants Iowa to be better on offense has to understand that doing that takes focus from other things we are good at like special teams and defense. It does, because they have to recruit different, they have to allocate NIL funds to focus on that side of the ball. I want Iowa's offense to be better and I want to watch a high flying offense as much as the next guy... just again, as long as it doesn't hurt the bottom line. I personally think the better Iowa's offense gets these next few years, we will see a noticeable drop somewhere else. That's just my opinion.

I think the contract thing is dumb, BF isn't going anywhere unless we have a season where the bottom falls out...and when and if that happens, his head won't be the only one on the chopping block.

I just got back from dinner and because the restaurant was packed me and my buddy had to sit at the bar. Some Georgia fans from Atlanta got seated next to us. They barged into our football convo to tell us they were Georgia fans, as if we couldn't tell from the hat and shirts. They asked who I cheered for. When I told them Iowa they said, and I quote, "Sorry about your offense." That's a direct quote from fans of the back to back defending national champions. We're worse than irrelevant. We're a damned laughingstock.
Get a grip man

Ya know who is a laughing stock of college football? Nebraska. Ya know what they keep doing? Changing OC's and HC's.

You guys crack me up

we had the #1 QB in the portal transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had argueably the best TE in the country transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had the former Big South Freshman of the year and Flipper Anderson's kid who is WR - transfer into Iowa
we had a former 4 star WR from TOSU transfer into Iowa.
we have 1 of 5 players selected by Powerade to NIL their brand this up coming season and he's a RB

must not be such a bad place to play on offense? If BF is this monster you guys make him out to be, I don't think we'd be in the spot we are

The only people who have a bad perception of Iowa is ....well, Iowa fans. I get it as well. The offense has sucked, no other way to put it, but don't get it twisted, the only people who have a poor perception of Iowa are Iowa fans and their rivals that love to get a charge out of them.

we're 72-30 since 2015 - Iowa's perception nationally is that they are one of the better programs in the country.

I agree....and disagree.
I agree about 80% and disagree 20%.

Brian must be a heckuva a guy. And I mean that sincerely. There's no way these guys transfer if he isn't.
And I don't mean because of his record. Or the jokes, memes, perceptions about his offenses. I do feel like he left Petras out to dry last season for a few weeks before he stepped in. But that's my perception. I may be wrong.

I never played football in my life. Not in high school. Certainly not college. I didn't understand how it works, even though Hard Knocks gives you the insight. I didn't really ever come across any of the football players. I was a Burge guy as a freshman, (West Side is the Best Side)...so I never was in a dorm with any of the athletes like my son was last year. He had 2 kids on his floor on the football team. And then through them, associated with others.

About 10 years ago, I saw a Hawk flag flying in the next subdivision over while out for a walk. The guy was outside sweeping is walk. So I said "Go Hawks". Unusual to get Hawk fans here in the Lou, so conversation ensues. Turns out, he's a former defensive player I remember from the tail end of my school era. Let my kids put on his helmet and gave them some his "Rose Bowl" cards (I guess they get player/trading cards as some swag). So I had lots of questions. And about Hayden and Kirk. And I sorta joked about McCarney taking over as the Clones coach. And he was excited for him. He loved Dan. Dan was his COACH. I got the impression he didn't even bother to have an opinion of Kirk and what little he did was marginally negative. Which could have just been kind of friendly negative due to the natural "rivalry" between offense and defense. Fry wasn't much more than a figurehead. Kaiser Sozey. A myth, a legend.

I mean, the head coach is the C suite CEO. He rides a different elevator to his office. And only takes meetings with top level execs. And/or to give Aaron Rodgers a little man-to-man love if you've been watching Hard Knocks.

The coordinators and position coaches (and strength and conditioning) are the people the players connect to. If Brian doesn't present genuinely as a guy who loves his players and who love him.....
The offense would have completely emptied out last year to the portal. And nothing would have come in.

However,
My 20% says the contract was a bad idea. And if they lose Saturday, and fail to run the ball more than 100 yards, you gotta pull the band-aid off. And make it happen. For his own mental health and career future. Either the school does it. Or he does it. As someone said here yesterday...Kirk should have made it happen for the health and best interest of their family. As a fan base, we'll get past Brian's tenure rather quickly. They, as a family, won't.

Let's hope this is all moot when they both run and throw the ball on Saturday and score 34 points.
Which, if they can find a way to run the ball, I think they can do easily.

If not, I'm not giving them the rope I gave it last year. I will immediately go into the mode where I don't put off leaf raking until Sunday. Or skip out of wedding receptions to watch on my phone. I'll just periodically check scores and see if it's even worth watching the Big10 in 60 later that week.

Let's hope this is all moot when they both run and throw the ball on Saturday and score 34 points.
Which, if they can find a way to run the ball, I think they can do easily.

If not, I'm not giving them the rope I gave it last year. I will immediately go into the mode where I don't put off leaf raking until Sunday. Or skip out of wedding receptions to watch on my phone. I'll just periodically check scores and see if it's even worth watching the Big10 in 60 later that week.
ISU has a decent defense so I don't expect this week to be an offensive outpour..

Does anyone know who statistically has the worse offense heading into Saturday's game? It's not baby Ferentz and he didn't play an FCS school last week.

You guys crack me up

we had the #1 QB in the portal transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had argueably the best TE in the country transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had the former Big South Freshman of the year and Flipper Anderson's kid who is WR - transfer into Iowa
we had a former 4 star WR from TOSU transfer into Iowa.
we have 1 of 5 players selected by Powerade to NIL their brand this up coming season and he's a RB

must not be such a bad place to play on offense? If BF is this monster you guys make him out to be, I don't think we'd be in the spot we are

The only people who have a bad perception of Iowa is ....well, Iowa fans. I get it as well. The offense has sucked, no other way to put it, but don't get it twisted, the only people who have a poor perception of Iowa are Iowa fans and their rivals that love to get a charge out of them.

we're 72-30 since 2015 - Iowa's perception nationally is that they are one of the better programs in the country.

You need to get out more.
I can assure that the present Iowa program is the subject of ridicule outside of Iowa and a national embarrassment.

Last edited:

Latest posts