Should Beth Goetz Rescind Brian's Contract Stipulations?

MelroseHawkins

I mean this thing has just turned into a national joke and cluster F. You now have Ohio St. podcasters who are gunna allocate 15 minutes each week updating everyone on the progress to 325. You have other teams fan bases from other conferences creating spoof coach press conferences making fun of the agreement. Seriously, come out and announce that a decision has been made to rescind the stipulations and that a thorough evaluation will be done after the end of this season. If not, all attention and distraction will be on the team and offense all season long. The team does not need that.

As much as it is entertaining, please Mrs. Goetz, come out and do what needs to be done and rescind the contract stipulations. An eval can be done at the end of the year.

Last edited:
I mean this thing has just turned into a national joke and cluster F. You now have Ohio St. podcasters who are gunna allocate 15 minutes each week updating everyone on the progress to 325. You have other teams fan bases from other conferences creating spoof coach press conferences making fun of the agreement. Seriously, come out and announce that a decision has been made to rescind the stipulations and that a thorough evaluation will be done after the end of this season. If not, all attention and distraction will be on the team an offense all season long. The team does not need that.

As much as it is entertaining, please Mrs. Goetz, come out and do what needs to be done and rescind the contract stipulations. An eval can be done at the end of the year.

I agree that it is kind of entertaining for Iowa fans (if you can't enjoy points, might as well have a good laugh), and I also agree that the best course of action is to ditch this clause.

Sadistically, I kind of hope they keep it, I want to see how it plays out. It is like a dumpster fire inside of a train wreck that is tumbling over a cliff; you just can't look away.

I say too bad.

Everyone in the country can see nepotism. What about that embarrassment. Makes the University look really bad that this type of favoritism even happened. Major sports program falls to near worst offense in the sport. Most University’s would have fired him last year. Why wasn’t he then? Everyone gets that. So Barta had to come out and counter that with expectations too avoid the embarrassment to the Univericity. Yes it’s lame! What else was Barta going to do to show impartiality? Then he retires. You can’t make this shit up. The reputation of the University should never be compromised for any person or people…………. Well in most other places. Look at Paterno a tremendous career and reputation destroyed. I am not comparing the seriousness of the two circumstances as one is so much more severe than the other. Not even on the same scale. The point is that the reputation of the University has to be protected over one persons reputation.

I have said this many times before and I mean it. I would love to see things turn around and have Brian become a very successful offensive coordinator and then a successful head coach. What a story that would be and what a long tradition of decades of coaching covered in just three Iowa coaches.

I still hope that happens beginning this week against Iowa State. Not too many are going to be happy if we lose to Iowa State and likely there will be some calling for immediate termination. No Hawkeye fan likes losing to them.

Let’s hope for dramatic improvement and a big win for Iowa and Brian. Let’s get well over the twenty-five points threshold. Thirty-five or more would be welcomed.

It is what it is.

The Iowa football team has become more about the assistant coach than the program. Nobody should be bigger than the program and it’s time for them all to move on. By all I mean the entire Ferentz clan.

The story line for Kirk - he’s the longest tenured coach in D1 football. He’s survived numerous major issues. He’s been one of the highest paid coaches in the country since he’s arrived and yet we have never sniffed the BCS playoffs.

The story line for Brian - contract language that was put in place because his dad is the coach and had a stranglehold on the now former AD. The fact that the Iowa offense has been one of the worst in the country is just a footnote.

The reality is we played a non-power 5 program at home for our season opener and couldn’t score enough points to put the game away in the first half like most other major power programs.

Last edited:
It was a stupid idea, if anything it should have been an unofficial suggestion with heavy emphasis it would affect continued employment prospects.

We’ve been the worst offense in football for years, the absolute worst, and this just shines more of a light on it.

It was a stupid idea, if anything it should have been an unofficial suggestion with heavy emphasis it would affect continued employment prospects.

We’ve been the worst offense in football for years, the absolute worst, and this just shines more of a light on it.

New Mexico State had the worst offense last year. Stop being hyperbolic, we were materially ahead of them.

Unfortunately that’s an AI fake. Which sucks because they’re so good now, how are we even going to be able to tell the difference I’ll less it’s something completely off the wall?
Last spring on our last teacher work day, I put together a message that I played over the intercom using our outgoing principal's voice giving very sarcastic backhanded compliments to our staff. Unfortunately I still have a job.

You guys crack me up

we had the #1 QB in the portal transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had argueably the best TE in the country transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had the former Big South Freshman of the year and Flipper Anderson's kid who is WR - transfer into Iowa
we had a former 4 star WR from TOSU transfer into Iowa.
we have 1 of 5 players selected by Powerade to NIL their brand this up coming season and he's a RB

must not be such a bad place to play on offense? If BF is this monster you guys make him out to be, I don't think we'd be in the spot we are

The only people who have a bad perception of Iowa is ....well, Iowa fans. I get it as well. The offense has sucked, no other way to put it, but don't get it twisted, the only people who have a poor perception of Iowa are Iowa fans and their rivals that love to get a charge out of them.

we're 72-30 since 2015 - Iowa's perception nationally is that they are one of the better programs in the country.

I like it. It's been time for a new direction for Iowa football for a couple of years now. Ferentz's will leave on their own.

And to the OP's question - yes, we should get rid of it because it's ridiculous. Just win ball games, if the offense sucks but they win 9+ games, no one gives a shit, and if you are upset with 9+ wins at Iowa maybe pick a different sport.

Yes it shoulda been her first order of business next to all the Swarm NIL promoting she's been doing which is fantastic. It's her call now she doesn't have to honor what Barta did. It's a joke of a contract. My whole thing with Barta even thinking about putting that in front of BF to begin with is ridiculous. If you think that's necessary then you don't think he's good enough. So that alone should've resulted in him letting Brian go. It's like yr 6 or 7 for Brian not 1 or 2. He's way past any learning curve.

No other OC or DC has any special job stipulations attached to their contracts that I know of. For good reason. It inevitably was going to bring on this sort of unnecessary publicity. It's the first and last thing that'll be talked about every game. Players/ Recruits going forward are going to be asked about it other coaches will negatively recruit us due to it. The snowball effect is real.

It's really easy to make a subjective decision on keeping a coordinator or not. The main reason I think Barta did it was because he knew there is literally no performance based reason that KF would ever fire Brian. And that's the problem....

You guys crack me up

we had argueably the best TE in the country transfer to Iowa - a former 4 star player
we had the former Big South Freshman of the year and Flipper Anderson's kid who is WR - transfer into Iowa
we have 1 of 5 players selected by Powerade to NIL their brand this up coming season and he's a RB

must not be such a bad place to play on offense? If BF is this monster you guys make him out to be, I don't think we'd be in the spot we are

The only people who have a bad perception of Iowa is ....well, Iowa fans. I get it as well. The offense has sucked, no other way to put it, but don't get it twisted, the only people who have a poor perception of Iowa are Iowa fans and their rivals that love to get a charge out of them.

we're 72-30 since 2015 - Iowa's perception nationally is that they are one of the better programs in the country.
I live in TN and this is certainly not true.... Not even close. Fans here know all about the nepotism that is going on and how bad BF has been lately. I think the media has done a pretty good job at making sure that college football fans know all about the laughing stock our O was last yr and this silly ass contract that has BF on a short leash.

This is like yr 7 for BF now. It's nothing personal against the guy. Players do seem to really like him. Past guys don't have a bad word to say about him either many have great things to say about him. It's not about landing some great guys in the portal which is absolutely fantastic with how the game is nowadays. He'll have to keep that going. But this is all about production on the field. Iowa is too good, too proud to be at the bottom of the barrel production wise like they were last yr. They hadn't been great before that either. But after last yr there's literally no OC that woulda survived that and kept his job but he did and everyone knows why. So he's on the clock with the new AD.

Here's my guess as to why Goetz is keeping the contract and not tearing it up. Because she knows how all this looks. She knows how bad everything has been so now she can let this season play out and if he doesn't meet the 25 pts/game it's an easy out for her to let him go. It's just how it'd have to be and it's not her playing the 'bad guy' to KF either so much.

If say Iowa has a really bad O again without such a contract in place would she stand up to KF and say he's gotta go? That'd be tough to do I bet... Keeping the contract let's her avoid that.

You guys crack me up

Your facts are correct but it does not tell the whole story.

You're not well acquianted with the national perception. listen to podcasts, watch twitter, read articles. Its obvious and its over the top and its gone beyond reasonable. But its all there if you have ears to hear it.
here is one example of many Link

And I think Beth should tear up that contract provision.

I live in TN and this is certainly not true.... Not even close. Fans here know all about the nepotism that is going on and how bad BF has been lately. I think the media has done a pretty good job at making sure that college football fans know all about the laughing stock our O was last yr and this silly ass contract that has BF on a short leash.

This is like yr 7 for BF now. It's nothing personal against the guy. Players do seem to really like him. Past guys don't have a bad word to say about him either many have great things to say about him. It's not about landing some great guys in the portal which is absolutely fantastic with how the game is nowadays. He'll have to keep that going. But this is all about production on the field. Iowa is too good, too proud to be at the bottom of the barrel production wise like they were last yr. They hadn't been great before that either. But after last yr there's literally no OC that woulda survived that and kept his job but he did and everyone knows why. So he's on the clock with the new AD.

Here's my guess as to why Goetz is keeping the contract and not tearing it up. Because she knows how all this looks. She knows how bad everything has been so now she can let this season play out and if he doesn't meet the 25 pts/game it's an easy out for her to let him go. It's just how it'd have to be and it's not her playing the 'bad guy' to KF either so much.

If say Iowa has a really bad O again without such a contract in place would she stand up to KF and say he's gotta go? That'd be tough to do I bet... Keeping the contract let's her avoid that.
I don't think either of us can truely quantify that it's "true", but most of this is perpetuated by our own fan base and then amplified by our rivals. It's like we're trolling ourselves. Remind your folks in TN that they've had 3 losing seasons since 2015, that's bad. That's somethig to be upset about. That's a reason to make a coaching change. They likely are qualified to address Iowa football woes because they truely know all about things being "bad".

It's not bad at Iowa. It's far from bad. The offense is bad, but IMO, football is a bottom line business. Winning should be all that matters, when it gets bad ....like 3 losing seasons in the last 6 or 7 seasons, I will want things to change....otherwise, keep winning, keep being one of the top 25 programs in the country and keep that churning as long as we can have it because it won't last.

Your facts are correct but it does not tell the whole story.

You're not well acquianted with the national perception. listen to podcasts, watch twitter, read articles. Its obvious and its over the top and its gone beyond reasonable. But its all there if you have ears to hear it.
here is one example of many Link

And I think Beth should tear up that contract provision.

Ya know what, Ohio State fans can give Iowa shit for not being good on offense.... fine with me. I'll take shit from any fanbase that's been better than Iowa the last decade...but other than that, STFU and win some football games and then come talk to me about how bad Brian Ferentz is.

Latest posts