Shaka to Illini

Sorry if its been posted, but his contract with VCU is interesting.

Smart has an $800,000 buyout if he leaves VCU for another college head coaching job before April 30. If he leaves for another school, his contract says that school would have to play a home-and-home series with VCU or pay a $250,000 buyout.

I'm no attorney, but how can a school be held to a contract they didn't sign?

I'm no attorney, but how can a school be held to a contract they didn't sign?

Pretty simple. If you want Shaka after the deadline, you have to sign a contract to play a home and home. If you don't want that, then you don't get him.

If Smart turns them down, the next choice will be Buzz Williams of Marquette. Reportedly,he would consider their 3 million/yr,altho he is beloved to the tune of 2 million at Marquette. MU might match the Illini offer...the man has tremendous leverage at this moment.

Williams would be a great fit,and dangerous at Illinois,as he already recruits Chicago very well,with top 50 Simeon HS senior Steve Taylor headed to MU next year.

I hope the Illini gets turned down by both...and they have to move on to a 3rd choice. Stallings is a Purdue loyalist so he might not take Webers old job. He is not sexy but very solid. Illini fans would not be very excited,but we all know that they are usually wrong anyway.

If Smart turns them down, the next choice will be Buzz Williams of Marquette. Reportedly,he would consider their 3 million/yr,altho he is beloved to the tune of 2 million at Marquette. MU might match the Illini offer...the man has tremendous leverage at this moment.

Williams would be a great fit,and dangerous at Illinois,as he already recruits Chicago very well,with top 50 Simeon HS senior Steve Taylor headed to MU next year.

I hope the Illini gets turned down by both...and they have to move on to a 3rd choice. Stallings is a Purdue loyalist so he might not take Webers old job. He is not sexy but very solid. Illini fans would not be very excited,but we all know that they are usually wrong anyway.

Not sure I'd leave Marquette if I was Buzz. That's not a huge upgrade in salary (yeah it's a Mill...but he's allready making 2) and the expectations and level of competition is higher.
Not to mention the "silent" expectation that he play loose with recruiting rules. :)

Not sure I'd leave Marquette if I was Buzz. That's not a huge upgrade in salary (yeah it's a Mill...but he's allready making 2) and the expectations and level of competition is higher.
Not to mention the "silent" expectation that he play loose with recruiting rules. :)

Please teleport me to your fantasy world.

It took him awhile to live up to what Williams left behind. Made a couple Elite Eights, but then also lost to Bucknell and Bradley in the first round in his first three years. There was a lot of heat on him at that point. The decision to stick with him obviously has paid off, but there was quite a bit of unrest in his first 3 years.

Ok....Self's resume, which is pretty solid, has nothing to do with what I said to your earlier comment. This is just going in circles now.

Ok....Self's resume, which is pretty solid, has nothing to do with what I said to your earlier comment. This is just going in circles now.

My point is that Self was somewhat lucky to GET to the 07-08 season. I'm sure fans would have gladly taken stalling in the Final Four over getting bounced by Bucknell and Bradley in the first round. He was definitely not providing satisfactory results through his first 3 seasons.

And Roy has won two titles since leaving Kansas for a school that gets the same level of talent. He would have gotten at least one eventually at Kansas.

Stallings is a solid coach but seems like one of those guys that can't coach in March.. His Vandy teams are always pretty salty but the last few years they have two first-round losses and a 2nd round loss in the tournament (no, I'm not signing up for the 2nd & 3rd round lingo - it's just confusing). I'm not sure that would fly in Champaign, but Stallings would also have some pretty nice in-state talent at his disposal.

My point is that Self was somewhat lucky to GET to the 07-08 season. I'm sure fans would have gladly taken stalling in the Final Four over getting bounced by Bucknell and Bradley in the first round. He was definitely not providing satisfactory results through his first 3 seasons.

And Roy has won two titles since leaving Kansas for a school that gets the same level of talent. He would have gotten at least one eventually at Kansas.

I know what you are saying but that is not what we were arguing at first, this is just what it has turned into. Self going from Illinois to KU, immediately following Roy Williams, proves one of these two things:

1) It is possible for a big time coach to take the place of a legend

2) Illinois is not an elite job

You just changed the argument to be about Self's resume as soon as I brought this point up.

And there is now way you can sit here and definitively say that Roy Williams would eventually won a title at Kansas.

I know what you are saying but that is not what we were arguing at first, this is just what it has turned into. Self going from Illinois to KU, immediately following Roy Williams, proves one of these two things:

1) It is possible for a big time coach to take the place of a legend

2) Illinois is not an elite job

You just changed the argument to be about Self's resume as soon as I brought this point up.

And there is now way you can sit here and definitively say that Roy Williams would eventually won a title at Kansas.

Is there any way to actually know that for a fact? Of course not. But given what he's done since leaving, it's hardly a reach to assume he would have.

There are exceptions to every rule. But the majority of the time, a big time coach will not try to follow a legend.

And while Illinois isn't Duke/UNC/Kansas/UCLA/MSU, it is still one of the top 8-15 programs out there, historically. That doesn't mean it's an elite JOB (there is a difference), but it's certainly a very good one.

Is there any way to actually know that for a fact? Of course not. But given what he's done since leaving, it's hardly a reach to assume he would have.

There are exceptions to every rule. But the majority of the time, a big time coach will not try to follow a legend.

And while Illinois isn't Duke/UNC/Kansas/UCLA/MSU, it is still one of the top 8-15 programs out there, historically. That doesn't mean it's an elite JOB (there is a difference), but it's certainly a very good one.

Considering the collapses Roy had at Kansas, its not a reach to assume he would have never won one.

I would put the Illinois job anywhere from the 4th-6th best job in the B1G. Definitely behind OSU, MSU and Indiana and interchangeable with Michigan and Wisconsin. Nationally I have no idea where I would put the Illinois job but I know these programs off the top of my head are better jobs:

Duke
UNC
Syracuse
UCONN
Georgetown
Lousiville
Kansas
MSU
OSU
Indiana
UCLA
Kentucky
Florida

Stallings is a solid coach but seems like one of those guys that can't coach in March.. His Vandy teams are always pretty salty but the last few years they have two first-round losses and a 2nd round loss in the tournament (no, I'm not signing up for the 2nd & 3rd round lingo - it's just confusing). I'm not sure that would fly in Champaign, but Stallings would also have some pretty nice in-state talent at his disposal.

Northwestern fans would sell their souls to the devil to have just one-season like Vanderbilt has had under Stallings. Year in & year out Stallings does one of the better coaching jobs in the country.

Sure the Commodores NCAA performance has been a little disappointing, but it is still Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
Northwestern fans would sell their soles to the devil to have just one-season like Vanderbilt has had under Stallings. Year in & year out Stallings does one of the better coaching jobs in the country.

Sure the Commodores NCAA performance has been a little disappointing, but it is still Vanderbilt.

How many shoes could they sell?

Smart has accepted a TV analyst gig from CBS for the NCAA games starting tomorrow,thru the weekend.

This has to cast doubt on him taking the Illinois job,as it would mean he would have to accept it today,and do a bunch of stuff related to it..and also the TV gig?
And keeping VCU and Illinois hanging while on TV all weekend would be a disaster.

Next.

I heard a Marquette fan say that the MU program has the 2nd largest BB budget in college bb,so not sure that Williams would be willing to jump.

Anthony Grant has already said no.
Reportedly Leonard Hamilton,Frank Martin and maybe Lorenzo Romar could be on the list.
Somebody is going to get a boatload of money,that is for certain.

Smart has accepted a TV analyst gig from CBS for the NCAA games starting tomorrow,thru the weekend.

This has to cast doubt on him taking the Illinois job,as it would mean he would have to accept it today,and do a bunch of stuff related to it..and also the TV gig?
And keeping VCU and Illinois hanging while on TV all weekend would be a disaster.

Next.

I heard a Marquette fan say that the MU program has the 2nd largest BB budget in college bb,so not sure that Williams would be willing to jump.

Anthony Grant has already said no.
Reportedly Leonard Hamilton,Frank Martin and maybe Lorenzo Romar could be on the list.
Somebody is going to get a boatload of money,that is for certain.

Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.

Athletic Endowment - Marquette University Official Athletic Site

Northwestern fans would sell their souls to the devil to have just one-season like Vanderbilt has had under Stallings. Year in & year out Stallings does one of the better coaching jobs in the country.

You are talking about Northwestern - a school that has never been to the NCAA Tournament. I think to say that NW fans would be thrilled to have a team get to the tournament as a 5 seed is a gross understatement.

I can't disagree with you on Stallings doing a great job in the regular season. I just wonder what's stopping them from doing more in the NCAA's. But then again, nothing comes easy in that tournament, so I guess I shouldn't read too much into just a couple post-season games. As was mentioned earlier, Bill Self had some early-round woes earlier in his tenure at KU, too.

How many shoes could they sell?

clapping.gif

I have no way of knowing that what this MU fan says is true.
I have serious doubts that it is.
I do not know the economics of MU bb.
I do know that they pay Williams over 2 million,so they seem to spend money on BB.
When they say ''bb budget'' I presume that means total spent on men's bb....maybe they rent the Bradley Center for games?

No matter...I think Williams might jump for 3 million...if the illini are willing.

Latest posts