Shaka to Illini

Piqued my curiosity and I found an analysis done in January that had all the top 20 college bb programs P & L...Revenue,expenses ,gross profit.

In terms of expenses the top 4 were:

Duke,Louisville,UNC and Marquette.

Marquette spent almost 11 million on BB expenses last year.
MSU was in the second ten with about 7 million.
Wisky was at around 6 million..
Illinois was around 5.5 million.

Louisville and Duke spent over 15 million,but Louisvilles revenues were off the charts....over 40 million, vs Duke around 25 million.
Wisconsin is very profitable...made over 10 million...16 million in revenues.
Marquette had revenues of over 15 million,and net profit of 4.5 million.

Iowa did not make the top 20. I suspect Iowa may have made 3-4 million in profit tho. In SA's best years, Iowa cleared over 6.5 million.

Listening to the SCORE this am.......... Shaka doensn't have the guts to come to ILL...........doesn't have the guts to recruit Chicago......good stuff - these guys should get on the bus and leave Chicago once and a while.

Listening to the SCORE this am.......... Shaka doensn't have the guts to come to ILL...........doesn't have the guts to recruit Chicago......good stuff - these guys should get on the bus and leave Chicago once and a while.

Mully and Hanley are idiots and have no clue what they are talking about.

Not sure I'd leave Marquette if I was Buzz. That's not a huge upgrade in salary (yeah it's a Mill...but he's allready making 2) and the expectations and level of competition is higher.
Not to mention the "silent" expectation that he play loose with recruiting rules. :)
Well, in all seriousness, that's the opposite of the reality. One of the reasons Bill Self left was he no longer had the backing of the A.D. to the extent he once did. The compliance people were working overtime because Self works in the gray area of recruiting. The old AD, name escapes me now, was there as a fundraiser when the Deon Thomas scandal went down and he points to that time as one that shaped his thinking as an administrator. He was hired with a mandate about squeaky clean compliance. That is one of the reasons why Weber was hired, for his clean reputation. What's interesting now is that Shaka Smart was concerned about the cesspool that is recruiting the Chicago public league. The mere fact that Chicago recruiting has such a bad reputation hurt the Illinois cause in hiring Smart. Ironic.

Latest posts