Shaka to Illini

Until the University of Illinois develops a true fanbase in the chicago area, no other Big 10 team has anything to worry about in football or basketball. They aren't even close to the most popular team in the Chicago metro area - and yes, I do believe even JNU is more popular.

noter dumb sure is; always has been

Yep, sounds like Shaka is the top target for Illinois. I would think he would have to consider it. He is from Wisconsin and his wife went to Northwestern. They may be looking for a reason to get back to the midwest, or they may not want to come back, who knows.
I do know this, Shaka would be a very good coach for Illinois and bad for the rest of us in the B1G. I for one, do not want Illinois to hire him. His team plays an intense style of basketball that will get him wins in the B1G. I think he would also be able to recruit very well at Illinois, especially the Chicago and Milwaukee areas. This would also be bad for the rest of the B1G. He is a big up and coming name who plays an exciting brand of basketball and has great recent showings in the Big Dance. Top flight talent would likely flock to him at Illinois.
I absolutely do NOT want him to coach at Illinois.

Weak thinking. We absolutely DO want Illinois to hire him so that it looks that much better when we're kicking them up and down the court every year. Fran > Shaka.

Agree one-hundred percent.

Only Iowa fans underestimate Illinois. Sure Illinois has problems with location & perception. However, like Ohio State in football, an Illini basketball coach can win the national title without ever leaving the state.

There's a huge difference. Chicago kids don't grow up Illini fans, they don't dream of playing for Illinois. As far as most Chicago kids are concerned Champaign may as well be in another state. Illinois does not have some god given right to all the Chicago kids as some people think. They haven't been able to recruit Chicago under many different, and successful, coaches yet every time they make a coaching change we have to hear how "they are a sleeping giant, once they lock down Chi, it's over". Well it's not going to happen, once again.

Why is that, exactly? They had lon krueger and bill self, and they never won sh!t. One freak year with webber kettle was a total outlier, as evidenced by his overall record and their lack of success.
Shaka Smart could easily be the second coming of Alfraud: mid-major success, lotsa hype, no real substance on his record.
If the illwhinei really think hiring this guy equals instant elite status and multiple championships, they're still living in their delusional cocoon.
F illannoy.

Illinois has won six Big Ten titles since Iowa's last championship season in '79. Since Iowa's last Final Four appearance, the Illini have gone twice including a loss in the championship game. Iowa doesn't even have one freakin' year like this in over thirty years. Talk about a program that hasn't done manure.

Illinois has won six Big Ten titles since Iowa's last championship season in '79. Since Iowa's last Final Four appearance, the Illini have gone twice including a loss in the championship game. Iowa doesn't even have one freakin' year like this in over thirty years. Talk about a program that hasn't done manure.

Agreed. It was a good call to get rid of Davis, he wasn't getting it done.

If Shaka goes to Illinois Fran can continue the slow rEvolution of BIG basketball back into the modern era...away from football on the hardwood.

god I hate watching some of the teams here in the Big Ten...Basketball is a game of quick change and pace...and the coaches in this conference try to slllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllow it down.

There's a huge difference. Chicago kids don't grow up Illini fans, they don't dream of playing for Illinois. As far as most Chicago kids are concerned Champaign may as well be in another state. Illinois does not have some god given right to all the Chicago kids as some people think. They haven't been able to recruit Chicago under many different, and successful, coaches yet every time they make a coaching change we have to hear how "they are a sleeping giant, once they lock down Chi, it's over". Well it's not going to happen, once again.

I agree. I acknowledged the Illini's location & perception problems.

My Dad graduated from Lane Tech back in '38. The perception of Illinois among Chicago kids goes back at least that far. Of course, back then, Lane Tech had more students than Illinois.

However, you can't deny the talent available in the state. Henson is about the best coach the Illini have had that tapped into that talent.

Dick Butkus came out of Lane Tech and went to Illinois and was an All American.

The Illini have been recruiting Chicagoland better in recent years,with 4 top 100 recruits last year in Egwu,Henry,Shaw and the pg. But, of course, they missed on the big fish,#1 rated Anthony Davis. So,some people consider a season when they get 4 of the top six Chicagoland recruits,all top 100,to be a failure? Blackshear went to Louisville,and Davis to Kentucky....see the commonality there? Money talks in the bluegrass state.

So, it does come back to whether the Illini can recruit the very elite guys like #1 rated junior Jabbari Parker. It is similar to Iowa's dilemma,really...when UNC comes calling ,Harrison Barnes and Marcus Paige are goners.

I think if Smart takes the job,he will immediately transform them next year into a dangerous program,taking those athletes and playing his uptempo style.
Not good for an Iowa team needing to finish ahead of them.
Long term, another uptempo team in the league will help drag the Big Ten image out of the gutter,maybe. With Fran,Smart and Crean...running could be part of the new image of the league,and help with recruiting overall.

Illinois may not be a top 5 program, historically, but it is top 10. According to Sagarin, Illinois is the #6 program all time. That's a sleeping giant.

Thats great and all but Im going to guess coaches dont decide to go to a program based solely on historical rankings. The Illinois job is not one of the elite jobs in the country...their fans think it is.

In the next few years there is a good to very good chance that Duke, UNC, UCONN and Syracuse could be looking for new basketball coaches. All of those jobs are much better than the Illini job.

The Illini have been recruiting Chicagoland better in recent years,with 4 top 100 recruits last year in Egwu,Henry,Shaw and the pg.

And Jerrance Howard gets much, if not all of the credit for the Chicago area recruiting. I think retaining Howard on the staff is almost as important to the Illini as the head coaching hire.

Hell, for Illinois, they don't even have to lock down Chicago. Even just tapping into it would be enough. Bill Self didn't lock it down, but even getting just one star (Dee Brown) was enough, albeit he left just before the benefits came to fruition. Weber couldn't get a Dee Brown.

He is one of the hot names right now. Every year a coach from a smaller school experiences success in the tourney and the next thing you know everyone wants him to be their next coach. Shaka was a hot name last year and chose to return.

Perfect example of a "hot coach" flaming out: Keno Davis. One year at Drake and then everyone wants him. Going to a big time program is a major jump. You are competing night in and night out against the best (i.e. see Steve Alford; who now has a much easier schedule -- but looks like a coaching guru to those in Lobo territory) ...

From what I have seen, heard, and read, Smart is the candidate Ilinois wants most. However, he has stated "I'm an east coast guy."

I'll believe Shaka to Illinois when I see it.

Thats great and all but Im going to guess coaches dont decide to go to a program based solely on historical rankings. The Illinois job is not one of the elite jobs in the country...their fans think it is.

In the next few years there is a good to very good chance that Duke, UNC, UCONN and Syracuse could be looking for new basketball coaches. All of those jobs are much better than the Illini job.

Their is a rule in coaching. You do not want to be the coach that follows a legend. You want to be the coach that follows the coach that follows the legend.

Hell, for Illinois, they don't even have to lock down Chicago. Even just tapping into it would be enough. Bill Self didn't lock it down, but even getting just one star (Dee Brown) was enough, albeit he left just before the benefits came to fruition. Weber couldn't get a Dee Brown.

Uhh, I would say that getting Deron Williams out of Texas was more insturmental in the Illini's success a few years back than getting Dee Brown out of Chicago.

Their is a rule in coaching. You do not want to be the coach that follows a legend. You want to be the coach that follows the coach that follows the legend.

So we should expect the programs I named to have a tough time filling their coaching vacancies when that day comes then?

So we should expect the programs I named to have a tough time filling their coaching vacancies when that day comes then?

In a way, yes. They won't get a big name coach from another Power 6 school. They'll have to either take a Power 6 guy with not as much fanfare, or the hot mid-major coach. You don't bring in a Roy Williams to follow Dean Smith.

They won't have trouble getting someone to take their offer. But we can reasonably expect them to get less than satisfactory results with who they do hire.

Latest posts