Serious question.. How can you support Ferentz?

Those are not power 5 football programs.

That's the point, to be successful at Iowa you have recruit out of state. You cannot convince me Iowa has a similar recruiting footprint as Wisconsin and Michigan State. On average I think Iowa produces maybe 10-15 D1 players per year and they have to compete against Iowa State for them. Those other cities you mentioned are being recruited heavily by many other schools. KF won't be out recruiting Nebraska for athletes in Omaha anytime soon.

Oregon:

1 conf title in the 50s
None in the 60s - 70s - 80s
1 conf title in the 90s

Starting in the year 2000:

10-2
11-1
7-6
8-5
5-6
10-2
7-6
9-4
10-3
10-3
12-1
12-2
12-1
11-2
13-2
9-4
4-8

Playing in two national title games along with 6 conference titles. That's the same number of titles they had for the entire 20th century. Like Iowa they have a rival in-state school to contend with in a state not loaded with talent. So how does Oregon do it? They don't make excuses like Kirk; Barta and too many of our fans. Which is why they fire coaches after a 4-8 season while we give them lifetime contracts.

Playing in two national title games along with 6 conference titles. That's the same number of titles they had for the entire 20th century. Like Iowa they have a rival in-state school to contend with in a state not loaded with talent. So how does Oregon do it? They don't make excuses like Kirk; Barta and too many of our fans. Which is why they fire coaches after a 4-8 season while we give them lifetime contracts.

Looks like they recruit heavily in California.

---------The only reason I don't want KF to retire is because I don't want him to go out like this.

"Like this"??? What do you mean, sounds like things are just great listening to some of you.

He is not only one of the most accomplished coaches in Iowa history, but in Big 10 history.

He is now 8 wins from Hayden Fry's all time win record at Iowa of 143. He has 83 more wins than Evy did. He has one national coach of the year.

He is one of only 2 coaches that have won Big 10 coach of the year 4 times. The other one being Bo Schembechler. i would like to see him get a 5th and break that record.

I am greatly appreciative of what he does for this program, and what Coach Fry did for this program in leading Iowa to it's most consistent success in program history. Both coaches have always had my full support.
Careful...that kind of support for the Hawks isn't well accepted on this Iowa fan board

It would have been nice to have beat Florida and ended on a very positive trend. I however am not surprised or even angry we got drilled. In fact I don't know how anyone can be upset at this point. It is what it is.

To be fair though, last season we were one freak play in the end zone against MSU from being in the National title championship playoffs. Not too many fans can say that. Did we beat any good teams that year? No, but only lost by one score to the best team we had played all year in the conference in MSU. We won't mention what the other good team we played against did to us in the Rose Bowl or what what Bama did to MSU.

It's kinda of funny what the Michigan win did to most Iowa fans. They got to feel what the the Iowa State fans feel when the beat us. A trend I hope we don't fall into.

Next season the Iowa fans will once again pack Kinnick. Why? It's Iowa and there is nothing better for people to do. If there were professional sports in Iowa KF and the Iowa HAWKEYE football program would just be an after thought at most people's dinner table. "Is Iowa going 6-6 or 7-5 this year? I hear they have a pretty QB that was waiting for CJ to move on and some think they are going to go 8-4 and if every bounce goes their way they might have an outside shot at 9-3." "Oh that would be nice year before we get slaughtered in the bowl game."

Sad and pathetic.

Last edited:
OK Einsteins, fire him. Seriously, who will you then hire? That is the only relevant question. Otherwise, you just sound like whining children.

Honestly ANYONE could probably pull the results KF produces. Look at the last 6 out of 7 years not including last year's anomaly. 8-5 is the best we've done, thrice, 2 7-6 finishes and a 4-8. Yay, that's exciting (sarcasm), especially considering the 3 almost gimme non-con wins every year.

Hire fricking ANYONE!!! Get Lane Kiffin out of FLA Atlantic, lure Chip Kelly in. Get anyone with a pulse and the ability to get an erection that is interested in $4M a year to coach college football in Iowa City.

If the attitude and philosophy at the top doesn't change the same mediocrity will continue.

Look around us. Iowa state, minnesota, Nebraska, northwestern, Illinois. Would you rather be a fan of one of those schools over the last 10 years or Iowa?

Success in college football is extremely relative. Set your expectations accordingly. If you expect Iowa to compete for a national title every year you're following the wrong team.

If you're upset about bowl success look at the opponent's. Iowa isn't getting to face the Washington states or the western kentuckys of the world they're getting the high end SEC schools and oklahoma and Stanford. Iowas last bowl win came against a weak big 12 school and then an ACC school.

Losing to Stanford or LSU or Florida or Oklahoma is nothing to get embarrassed about. Almost all schools lose to those teams. It's a credit to iowas regular season success that they get matched up with such high caliber opponent's

Honestly ANYONE could probably pull the results KF produces. Look at the last 6 out of 7 years not including last year's anomaly. 8-5 is the best we've done, thrice, 2 7-6 finishes and a 4-8. Yay, that's exciting (sarcasm), especially considering the 3 almost gimme non-con wins every year.

Hire fricking ANYONE!!! Get Lane Kiffin out of FLA Atlantic, lure Chip Kelly in. Get anyone with a pulse and the ability to get an erection that is interested in $4M a year to coach college football in Iowa City.

If the attitude and philosophy at the top doesn't change the same mediocrity will continue.

Honestly I would be thrilled with a coach that believes in offense and recruits to meet that need. That coach would be to KF what Fran was to Lickliter.

Oregon:

1 conf title in the 50s
1 conf title in the 90s

10-2
11-1
7-6
8-5
5-6
10-2
7-6
9-4
10-3
10-3
12-1
12-2
12-1
11-2
13-2
9-4
4-8

Oregon caught lightning in a bottle. They also had a billionaire booster and owner of Nike to rebrand them and create crazy ugly ass uniforms that appealed to kids. It was ground breaking for the era. They also had chip Kelly and a unique brand of football that doesn't fit with the big ten or the recruits Iowa can get.

Look around us. Iowa state, minnesota, Nebraska, northwestern, Illinois. Would you rather be a fan of one of those schools over the last 10 years or Iowa?

Success in college football is extremely relative. Set your expectations accordingly. If you expect Iowa to compete for a national title every year you're following the wrong team.

If you're upset about bowl success look at the opponent's. Iowa isn't getting to face the Washington states or the western kentuckys of the world they're getting the high end SEC schools and oklahoma and Stanford. Iowas last bowl win came against a weak big 12 school and then an ACC school.

Losing to Stanford or LSU or Florida or Oklahoma is nothing to get embarrassed about. Almost all schools lose to those teams. It's a credit to iowas regular season success that they get matched up with such high caliber opponent's

It's also a HUGE credit to the Iowa fans who bring their wallets down to the bowl games. I wouldn't be pointing any fingers at Iowa State because their new coach could end up being the best thing since Earl Bruce. They are showing signs of life in just his first season. Will they be able to hold onto him if he brings Iowa State up? That's the million dollar que$tion.

What is really being said by many in this thread? Basically what many of you are saying is Iowa is a middle tier program in the Big Ten and we should be happy with that. If we bring in a coach who can't recruit any better that KF but lacks the ability to improve those two and a half star recruits then we could end up in the bottom quarter of the conference. If you really think about it so what? So we don't go to a bowl game and get gutted on National television. The reason for competing is to strive to be the best each and every year. Not always getting there (only Alabama does that) but striving for it. The football world is even trying to help KF out buy letting him have a chance by finishing in the top four and then your included in the playoffs.

No one who wants more from their favorite sports team NEVER needs to apologize for it. It's not like he has only been here five years. It been eighteen years now and it obvious at this point that he likely will never sniff the top four. So fans who would just like to experience the top four have a right to be a little hungry and there's nothing wrong with that.

When you stop being hungry then you have a problem.

Oregon:

1 conf title in the 50s
1 conf title in the 90s

10-2
11-1
7-6
8-5
5-6
10-2
7-6
9-4
10-3
10-3
12-1
12-2
12-1
11-2
13-2
9-4
4-8

They had a heck of a run. Chip Kelly and Uncle Phil helped a lot. It is impressive what they did though, and without ever having top 10 recruiting classes. It'll be interesting to see how they fair in next couple years. My sis in law is an alumni and decent donor, she felt they were too quick with the firing...but we'll see.

Why do I have to support the HC to not be a fair weather fan? using that logic, Fry would never have been hired. We would have had Bob Cumming s for another decade or so.
He was a good dude. Ran a clean program.

I grew up in Coralville. Graduated from Iowa. I am not a fair weather fan.
The name calling is ridiculous. Just stop.

We have been compared to Wisconsin for a long time. developmental programs. Power football programs. But now that they have become more successful, that doesnt apply.

All I hear is excuses.

KF has run his course. Just like Fry did in the late 90s. It happens. Programs get stale. Fans get restless. Coaches get fat and lazy.

Unfortunately, we have a clueless or maybe too loyal of an AD.

And who could we hire? There will be a line at our door when that time comes. Why wouldnt there be. Ive outlined the positives before. But I never added an AD that will toss money and years at you for a mediocre performance.

We will have our choice of coaches.

Lots of tangents in here. Sorry for the ramblings.

---------I can remember 1, and it still haunts me to this day......Damn you fake punt!!!!

Nothing will EVER haunt me more than taking a knee at OSU in 2009...EVER!!!

You not only missed the boat...you dove into a sand bank. NO ONE like that wants to coach here. WHO was interested after Fry left. Stoops and he was an unproven commodity as a head coach. You don't want Lame Kiffin OR Chip Kelley and they don't want you either. Just saying.

Why do I have to support the HC to not be a fair weather fan? using that logic, Fry would never have been hired. We would have had Bob Cumming s for another decade or so.
He was a good dude. Ran a clean program.

I grew up in Coralville. Graduated from Iowa. I am not a fair weather fan.
The name calling is ridiculous. Just stop.

We have been compared to Wisconsin for a long time. developmental programs. Power football programs. But now that they have become more successful, that doesnt apply.

All I hear is excuses.

KF has run his course. Just like Fry did in the late 90s. It happens. Programs get stale. Fans get restless. Coaches get fat and lazy.

Unfortunately, we have a clueless or maybe too loyal of an AD.

And who could we hire? There will be a line at our door when that time comes. Why wouldnt there be. Ive outlined the positives before. But I never added an AD that will toss money and years at you for a mediocre performance.

We will have our choice of coaches.

Lots of tangents in here. Sorry for the ramblings.
I don't call 20 wins in two years stale. Did Fry ever post a two year win total like that? Nope.

It is AMAZING that a fan base goes from 12-0...a legit game so close to being 13-0 and in the FINAL FOUR...and things don't go right the next year and you lose your mind and the sky is falling. 8 wins is the terrible fall from glory that you just had to "endure." lol Haha In a way youd call that being spoiled as much as you call it demanding better quality football. 12-0 is not easy regardless of schedule. There has NEVER been a D1 football coach at 12-0 and ranked #4 that was terrible. That was LAST YEAR. Call it an easy schedule. Ok. Still had to beat everyone. It's so cool that all of the experts within our borders and on these sites know so much more about football than those who vote for national coach of the year or who call KF one of the better coaches around. PERHAPS Iowa held KF back. His discipline with 4* and 5* gifts at OSU or Penn State or Michigan..maybe he has a national title. He took lowly Iowa to 12-0 and a defensive stop from the national playoff...with 2 and 3* kids. Maybe his loyalty to Iowa is his real flaw?

You not only missed the boat...you dove into a sand bank. NO ONE like that wants to coach here. WHO was interested after Fry left. Stoops and he was an unproven commodity as a head coach. You don't want Lame Kiffin OR Chip Kelley and they don't want you either. Just saying.
You have one of the biggest defeatist attitudes I've ever seen. Sad.

Last edited:

Latest posts