Serious question.. How can you support Ferentz?

I'm going to continue to upset many of the fair weather fans on here, because that's what many of you are. I CHEER for the Hawks. I'm disappointed quite a bit. I maintain perspective in my life. Its called tempered expectations. I'd love to dunk a basketball. I never will. I still like to shoot the ball at times. I might even try to jump as high as I can and touch the lowest hanging part of a backboard on a layup attempt. But I like playing still. I'll keep supporting the Hawks. Maybe this is where the real disagreement lies. I choose to celebrate the opportunity to cheer on the Hawks. Show me the coach who will take us to the next level and then show me he is interested. I think that's fair to ask. I don't think it's fair to run a guy out of town who has a competitive program and try the flavor of the month like ISU.

I think many of you miss this point. I'm not psyched about 7-5..8-5 this year. I'd like to win a national championship. Its never happened here. So where is this coach that we can get that will be better than Fry or Ferentz? I'm just waiting for one of you to deliver that guy with a proven track record with a long term interest in building a program in Iowa City, Ia. I share your grief a lot of Saturdays. I also enjoyed the heck out of last year/2015 whereas many of you I'm guessing did not. Its your perogative. But instead of calling me a lesser fan because i get it..100+ years of historical data to prove my poiint...we aren't going to get better. When you HAVE better in tow, let me know and I'll reconsider my position. Until then I'm not going to bash a guy who has done as good as the LEGEND that preceeded him and who many experts outside of the borders commend for his program. You mad because he makes bank? He gives a lot back to the university. Bring me Stoops and a bottle of Advil and a potential stay on the probation list and I'll listen. Feel free to keep bagging on Kf. Its your right. But it's just whining til You show what's better or why it isn't good enough. Facts. He has an identical record to Fry. Was Fry a bad coach? Oh ok I get it. Easier schedules..don't truck Isu...built a program..yea..I'll give him the edge on program building. Its at a higher level now than during Fry's era.

Iowa has won a championship. Just not in a long time.

I'm going to continue to upset many of the fair weather fans on here, because that's what many of you are. I CHEER for the Hawks. I'm disappointed quite a bit. I maintain perspective in my life. Its called tempered expectations. I'd love to dunk a basketball. I never will. I still like to shoot the ball at times. I might even try to jump as high as I can and touch the lowest hanging part of a backboard on a layup attempt. But I like playing still. I'll keep supporting the Hawks. Maybe this is where the real disagreement lies. I choose to celebrate the opportunity to cheer on the Hawks. Show me the coach who will take us to the next level and then show me he is interested. I think that's fair to ask. I don't think it's fair to run a guy out of town who has a competitive program and try the flavor of the month like ISU.

I think many of you miss this point. I'm not psyched about 7-5..8-5 this year. I'd like to win a national championship. Its never happened here. So where is this coach that we can get that will be better than Fry or Ferentz? I'm just waiting for one of you to deliver that guy with a proven track record with a long term interest in building a program in Iowa City, Ia. I share your grief a lot of Saturdays. I also enjoyed the heck out of last year/2015 whereas many of you I'm guessing did not. Its your perogative. But instead of calling me a lesser fan because i get it..100+ years of historical data to prove my poiint...we aren't going to get better. When you HAVE better in tow, let me know and I'll reconsider my position. Until then I'm not going to bash a guy who has done as good as the LEGEND that preceeded him and who many experts outside of the borders commend for his program. You mad because he makes bank? He gives a lot back to the university. Bring me Stoops and a bottle of Advil and a potential stay on the probation list and I'll listen. Feel free to keep bagging on Kf. Its your right. But it's just whining til You show what's better or why it isn't good enough. Facts. He has an identical record to Fry. Was Fry a bad coach? Oh ok I get it. Easier schedules..don't truck Isu...built a program..yea..I'll give him the edge on program building. Its at a higher level now than during Fry's era.

Ferentz wasn't a proven commodity when we hired him, nor was he a sure thing. Iowa took a risk on someone and I think it payed off well (Obviously you do too). Same goes for Fry before him. So why are you 100% sure that another coach can't take the wonderful work that ferentz has done and expand it?

I've enjoyed ferentz (for the most part) his entire tenure but don't you think he's taken this program about as far as it can go?

--------OK Einsteins, fire him. Seriously, who will you then hire? That is the only relevant question. Otherwise, you just sound like whining children.

There are probably 200 High School Coaches here in Texas that run 10x of a more complex offense than the one YOUR Head Coach supports and signs off on.....you have a LOSER mentality!!!

Last edited:
Ferentz wasn't a proven commodity when we hired him, nor was he a sure thing. Iowa took a risk on someone and I think it payed off well (Obviously you do too). Same goes for Fry before him. So why are you 100% sure that another coach can't take the wonderful work that ferentz has done and expand it?

I've enjoyed ferentz (for the most part) his entire tenure but don't you think he's taken this program about as far as it can go?
Yes I think he quite possibly has. ..although I'd like to see the next 3 yrs after 2015 success. Mortgage winning football that we've had the past 18 yrs for a VERY long shot at knocking an Alabama or OSU etc off its perch? Is what ISU has worth a terrible long shot?

--------OK Einsteins, fire him. Seriously, who will you then hire? That is the only relevant question. Otherwise, you just sound like whining children.

There are probably 200 High School Coaches here in Texas that run more 10x more complex offenses than the one YOUR Head Coach supports and signs off on.....you have a LOSER mentality!!!
And they all coach hs football. Why are they coaching hs then? Winning attitude? Accept their lot in life?

Yes I think he quite possibly has. ..although I'd like to see the next 3 yrs after 2015 success. Mortgage winning football that we've had the past 18 yrs for a VERY long shot at knocking an Alabama or OSU etc off its perch? Is what ISU has worth a terrible long shot?

I don't think there is a coach out there that can get us to Bama/OSU level. However Wisconsin, And Michigan state (even given their horrendous year) level is easily Obtainable. And I'm sorry, but at least Iowa State is trying to improve, we are just trying not to get worse.

---------And they all coach hs football. Why are they coaching hs then? Winning attitude? Accept their lot in life?

Not everybody in life gets offered a plumb job after being a lousy coach at Maine, just because they coached under a legend....not everybody in life gets to arrive at said job two (2) full months after being hired because they do not want to burn their NFL bridges.....not everyone gets 20 years of extensions for beating a so-so ACC team in the Orange Bowl, and then going 12-0 against the easiest D1 schedule ever seen....whilst TOTALLY sucking during the years in between..

Very solid post. And very realistic. My counter to this would be, how many other coaches out there could get Iowa to the 7/8 wins a season that Kirk expects of himself and we as fans are expected to be happy with?

I'm not saying its easy to win at Iowa. Its not. Recruiting base and location will always make it hard to win big at Iowa. But with the OOC schedule full of tomato cans and the West with only 1 really good program it doesn't take a Lombardi to get this team to scratch out a winning record.
Maybe some other coaches can. Do we start just hoping and trying? How far could it set us back of its the wrong hire?

---------And they all coach hs football. Why are they coaching hs then? Winning attitude? Accept their lot in life?

Not everybody in life gets offered a plumb job after being a lousy coach at Maine, just because they coached under a legend....not everybody in life gets to arrive at said job two (2) full months after being hired because they do not want to burn their NFL bridges.....not everyone gets 20 years of extensions for beating a so-so ACC team in the Orange Bowl, and then going 12-0 against the easiest D1 schedule ever seen....whilst TOTALLY sucking during the years in between..
Wow. No positives in what he does huh?

This is a coherent opinion.
However, of the two, I would take Hayden any day over Ferentz. The difference for me is the excitement level. Yes, they have similar records, but Hayden's teams could play with anyone AND were fun and exciting to watch. Not so with Ferentz. Iowa games are truly painful to watch.
Hayden was realistic, noting if the opponent played them to run, he would pass. And vice versa.
Not Ferentz. He is of the Woody Hayes / Bob Commings school, which is that we must establish the run game - no matter what. Down 35? Keep running off tackle. 10 in the box? Keep running off tackle.
Give me Hayden and a wide open offense any day.

Maybe some other coaches can. Do we start just hoping and trying? How far could it set us back of its the wrong hire?
Total defeatist attitude. No wonder you're a KF fan.

Why would you even watch football if you don't care if your team wins?

To see the blue hairs on TV talk about what a fine upstanding nice man that football coach is?

Last edited:
I don't think there is a coach out there that can get us to Bama/OSU level. However Wisconsin, And Michigan state (even given their horrendous year) level is easily Obtainable. And I'm sorry, but at least Iowa State is trying to improve, we are just trying not to get worse.
If a Wisconsin or Michigan St level of success is easily obtainable, why aren't more programs doing it?

How do you use an argument about loser attitude accepting mediocrity and then your example uses people who are so good at what they do but are sitting in hs. Oh they weren't handed it on a platter? I'm quite certain NONE of the 95 Browns staff was handed a job. Bellicheck didntbhirr
Total defeatist attitude. No wonder you're a KF fan.

Why would you even watch football if you don't care if your team wins?

To see the blue hairs on TV talk about what a fine upstanding nice man that football coach is?
Why are you so bitter? Do you hate Fran too? Brands? You never read what I actually type. Try it sometime. Hope without vision is just dreaming. You sir are a dreamer. Your schtick never has substance. Fire him. Replace him. Leaders have a plan. You have a thought.

I have nothing to add.

th

Point of the game is to win and vie for conference championships. Other "positives" don't mean squat.

Wouldn't you be happier as a Purdue fan? We would be.
Who? You and the other cry babies. You just come across as a baby. Picking on people for cheering for the Hawks. Were you up in Canada during Vietnam rooting for the Viet Cong when the war wasn't going so good for the U.S.? Get on board. Or cry for the next few years. That's the forecast. Mostly cloudy with a 100% chance of Ferentz. Oh sorry.

Latest posts