Schwartz Sunday Notes: How Did Men’s Hoops Nearly Knock Off A Final Four Team?

JFC, good teams lose to teams they are better than all the time. Even if Iowa did beat Michigan it would have meant nothing, as overall they were awful this year with or without beating Michigan.
Might have dropped Michigan a notch or two in seeds. Then who knows?

What a ridiculous article.
So Iowa almost upset a team, but not quite.
So since Iowa didn't get crushed EVERY game this year, let's look at this as a positive?
Wow this is what Iowa bball has become?

And for everyone who thinks I'm only negative,
I actually am totally excited for and looking forward to Fran's replacement, whenever that happens.

all that was missing was the survey at the end.

Please rank the following in order of priority:

a. win
b. graduate
c. do it the right way

This is one of the most silly articles written about Iowa athletics ever.

Let's dig a little deeper.

M had a close game against a lower division Central Michigan team.
M lost to a below SEC average LSU team.
M was buried by the 3rd place (you can also call them the 6th place) ACC team
M lost to the 8th place Big team
M was buried by Nebby
M was beaten by MN
M barely beat Houston which lost to the 5,7,10 finishers in their conference. Btw, the 5th place team fired their coach.
M plays Loyola which lost by 7 to Evansville which lost by 60 to Duke. So Duke will beat the winner of the M/Loyola game by at least 67 points in the Championship unless Villanova wins then it will be by more.

How about articles about an Iowa team with athleticism issues, lack of player development, poor fundamentals and nepotism.

Now about M

I actually do know the family of the coach. I know for certain he had a close relationship with his uncle. His uncle was a Hall of Fame Coach and came back from WW2 with a severe arm injury and still played college basketball. The uncle and nephew were very close. They lost a lot in WW2 being the family that Saving Private Ryan was based on (not the Sullivan's). The uncle taught JB the 2 guard set. The mentor put together a regimental team for the Glider Infantry of the 101st Airborne that won the Divisional title with a player from a very small Iowa farm boy who couldn't even start for his own HS. He chose this kid over taller and better players because he could pass and be a team player. That's the way the team was set up. Unselfish team play.

This mentor as an officer took the young Iowan private while glidermen were getting mowed down by machine gun fire towards the mg under fire to silence it. The young Iowan was hit. Later, during the siege of Bastogne, this mentor led a squad that refused to give up a cross roads at a small village outside the city with enemy tanks attacking against light airborne infantry. These tanks had already decimated his battalion and had tanks operating to the rear. The Germans without that intersection would have waltzed into Bastogne. While many of you have heard of the Band of Brothers and Lt. Spiers famous run in Foy, the mentor was leading countless men just a few hundred yards away in an open field run against tanks and overwhelmed the enemy, but he suffered a severe wound which ended his war experience.

Later in life, this mentor took down Switzer and also the Pony Express.

This is the man that JB modeled himself after. Compare this to Iowa's coach and leadership.

JB is using this to get his "men" to do something bigger than themselves. M is not a team of terrific players. They are a terrific team.

They didn't deserve the 3 seed. They don't like like they have a chance against Duke/Villanova. Not sure I'd bet against them though. However, I don't see it.

The article is lame.

Please. Hey, we almost upset a really good team. Losing is not an accomplishment.

i took his point as not really being that far away from being at that level. we are foot speed and quickness at the guard position away from contending. that was our issue this season. if we can bring in a juco guard or two that have speed and quickness, then we'll be able to keep opponents out of the lane. and, in basketball, if you can't defend your lane, you can't defend. caveat is that Cook would also need to come back next season.

Is Fran using all that extra $$ to pay for fluff pieces?
Wouldn't surprise me if Gutless Gary wasn't reaching out to certain media members and bartering for fluff pieces. Watching all of these good defensive teams going deep into the NCAA tournament, can't make Iowa fans feel any better about the future of the program. It's got to have the opposite effect, actually. Makes it that much more obvious how far away Fran is from making an NCAA tourney run.

i took his point as not really being that far away from being at that level. we are foot speed and quickness at the guard position away from contending. that was our issue this season. if we can bring in a juco guard or two that have speed and quickness, then we'll be able to keep opponents out of the lane. and, in basketball, if you can't defend your lane, you can't defend. caveat is that Cook would also need to come back next season.

For 4 years we wont be havng a quick pt guard getting most minutes. No discussion

Iowa almost beating Michigan is like saying:
cb80219c8648ff0483648f63b2dcd2ba.jpg

or better yet:

dudei-almost-had-you-facebook-you-never-had-me-you-475452.png

What a ridiculous article.
So Iowa almost upset a team, but not quite.
So since Iowa didn't get crushed EVERY game this year, let's look at this as a positive?
Wow this is what Iowa bball has become?

And for everyone who thinks I'm only negative,
I actually am totally excited for and looking forward to Fran's replacement, whenever that happens.
Why is it ridiculous? He never said “almost”.
He never said the loss was a “positive”.

That game caused him to ask a series of questions. Questions that all of us have asked.
No problem asking questions is there?

Some of you need to read the article as it is actually written and not as you want it to be.

For 4 years we wont be havng a quick pt guard getting most minutes. No discussion

conner will be effective on offense. JBo's issue on offense is he isn't a great ball handler and doesn't have lateral quickness. Conner has more lateral quickness and is a better ball handler, and conner is 6'5" and that length can make up some speed/quickness on defense. but, i agree conner isn't the answer on defense. but juco guards, who are speedy and quick, played in rotation, can be the answer.

The funny thing is we always say speed at the guard position, which is true, but it’s speed across the board. I haven’t seen a successful team this year that plays three slow footed bigs like we do with Pemsl, Kriener, and Garza.

Michigan is going to the final four and they basically start a 6’7 guard at the 4 spot. Meanwhile Fran is playing 4 men at the 3 position.