Schwartz Sunday Notes: How Did Men’s Hoops Nearly Knock Off A Final Four Team?

The one thing I took from the Michigan game was how we were kinda unlucky with how much every other team this year lit us up from 3. Michigan is a good team that had wide open shots all night and kept missing them. Games like that normally happen all the time in college. It happened one tike against Iowa. I know people love to say "if a college player is open, they're going to make it". But that just isn't true. We played terrible defense and deserved what we got. But it was still ridiculous that it took until the very last game of the year for a team to miss.
Yeah, we were just unlucky. o_O

I know Wisconsin missed a lot of open 3's against us. If I remember right I think Colorado and Minnesota at Carver did too.

I know we dominated Wisconsin so bad that they couldn't do anything on offense. On nights like that, it's hard to make open shots when you do finally get them. I definitely wouldn't say they missed a lot of open shots tho. Minnesota we played pretty decent defense (for us). Colorado I don't remember much because I got bombed during that game. Michigan was our normal bad defense, they just missed.

I know we dominated Wisconsin so bad that they couldn't do anything on offense. On nights like that, it's hard to make open shots when you do finally get them. I definitely wouldn't say they missed a lot of open shots tho. Minnesota we played pretty decent defense (for us). Colorado I don't remember much because I got bombed during that game. Michigan was our normal bad defense, they just missed.

Wisconsin was a wounded team at that point.

The implication that is hoped for here is that Iowa is *ALMOST* a final 4 team since we *ALMOST* beat them. However, there are two fundamental truths when comparing teams:
1. The transitive property doesn't apply in sports.
2. Better teams find ways to win.
You are far too generous.

There is a Grand Canyon-wide gap between the talent and athleticism of Fran’s teams and probably two-thirds of the NCAA field.

Watching much of this year’s tournament thanks to a broken leg that required me to rest with it propped up, I was repeatedly shocked by the physicality and speed exhibited by most of the teams. We are light years from being able to match that.

There is a Grand Canyon-wide gap between the talent and athleticism of Fran’s teams and probably two-thirds of the NCAA field.

Watching much of this year’s tournament thanks to a broken leg that required me to rest with it propped up, I was repeatedly shocked by the physicality and speed exhibited by most of the teams. We are light years from being able to match that.
There is a large gap. It's not hard to see if you watch this tournament. If we played all 64 teams in the field, we'd lose 55 to 60 of those games.

Response to this: I know we dominated Wisconsin so bad that they couldn't do anything on offense.

Your quote.

Correct. That is my quote. The last quote in a conversation that was a few posts long. Your response makes no sense in the context of the conversation.

Correct. That is my quote. The last quote in a conversation that was a few posts long. Your response makes no sense in the context of the conversation.

This is kind of like another poster who was confused over what he understood.
1e0ebec77b0c4f4bcbf3683c8d6e2e0e.gif

I thought the very same thing. Watched some of almost all the games. Some of the better teams had difficulty getting the ball inbounds against teams like West Virginia. We might not have made it across half court some games.....

long way to go before we are respectable.....

Alas

Now I'm really confused?
You’re not confused.

Whenever the Wisconsin is brought up hg disallows any positive points for Iowa because they had a couple of injuries.

Of course, no bagging on Texas Tech for making it to the Elite8 by beating a Haas-less Purdue.

You’re not confused.

Whenever the Wisconsin is brought up hg disallows any positive points for Iowa because they had a couple of injuries.

Of course, no bagging on Texas Tech for making it to the Elite8 by beating a Haas-less Purdue.

He would have made sense is if the conversation was about how we played against Wisconsin. But since it was about how teams shot the 3 against us, his comment made no sense.

He would have made sense is if the conversation was about how we played against Wisconsin. But since it was about how teams shot the 3 against us, his comment made no sense.
Some space should be given him. The life of a contrarian is easily the hardest.

But he’ll probably disagree.

Some space should be given him. The life of a contrarian is easily the hardest.

But he’ll probably disagree.

You missed my call on OSU/football.

I'm a realist, not a contrarian. Back to the subject, any conversation about the Wisky game has to be measured against the fact that Iowa played them when they were at the low spot. So any analysis isn't worth much on that game. That comment was right there. I know we dominated Wisconsin so bad that they couldn't do anything on offense.

You cannot separate O and D in basketball as well as you can with football, but still in that sport one impacts the other.

The fact that Iowa "dominated Wisky" is irrelevant to the discussion as it was being discussed. There were probably D2 teams at that point better than Wisky.

The rest of the quote: On nights like that, it's hard to make open shots when you do finally get them.