Sash Suspended

Okay this is such a deep rooted argument I have to say something. After watching that stupid movie with Bradley Cooper (great hair), all you can say is that "I want to take a drug like that!" ...seriously? Did you watch the movie?

Yes, I watched the movie. Probably 3 times. I don’t remember Bradley’s hair as much as his eyes….they were so blue..so confident (when he was on the drug). Anyway…yes I watched the movie. You know what was bad about that movie? Did you notice…he didn’t share his drug. Maybe you missed my comment “I would take that drug in a heartbeat...well...the one at the end...that didn't have the bad side affectsâ€

And I get your story 100%. Everyone has an experience like that, everything from 5 hr energy to cocaine, there is a level of intensity for everyone.

My drug of choice is caffeinated coffee- French roast. When I was younger, I experimented with various recreational drugs. Not my thing really and I quickly grew out of that. So other than occasional alcohol use, my drug is caffeine. Without it, I barely have a blood pressure

The debate isnt over the effectiveness, or the question: does it work? All my friends get on addy for finals every time and from what I can tell, it works. The question is, is it right to drug our kids? This cultural occurrence is brand new: giving youth medication to make then focus, perform and behave better. And you have to realize old-fashioned peoples' skepticism over the process.

Its more a matter of grandpa saying: I wasn't drugged as a kid, I turned out fine. We didn't drug our kids, they turned out okay, but now my grand kids are in drug regiments, why?

I understand the question regarding medication and drugging kids/adults. It’s a valid question. Probably should be in the Off topic or Politics forum for a good discussion. People shouldn’t take medications they don’t need. However, it’s the same argument used for people with depression that take meds, right? Can’t they just get over it? That's what "grandpa" says now.

Ten years ago, when the subject of ADD came up, I was skeptical and figured I would never put my kids on a drug like that. Had to be something the parents were doing wrong. I’m the mother of 4, with two already raised to adulthood, and two more to go. Starting in 2nd grade, I started hearing concerns from teachers about my third daughters inability to focus on the task at hand; a ten minute homework sheet would take her well over an hour to complete. We constantly had to redirect her. I started to wonder if she really had ADD.

The start of 5th grade second semester, her teacher once again brought up her lack of focus. I always heard…â€we know she’s smart but she can’t stay on task long enoughâ€. She was getting behind in grade level in all subjects. After discussing with her doctor, and having her teachers (and her parents) fill out questionnaires about behavior it was decided she should be medicated. She was put on the lowest dose. The first full day of being on this medication, without any prompting, she came home and did her homework and was done, just like that. Two weeks later I emailed her teacher and asked if she noticed any difference in behavior. She responded back very positively about how well she was doing in school. I felt bad that I had resisted having her evaluated before because of my resistance to the idea that meds could help.

Grandpa wasn’t drugged because there were no drugs then. Maybe he turned out fine because he didn’t have ADHD. I bet you can find a few middle age and older people on this board, that if asked, they either remember the kid, or were the kid, in class that had difficulties all the time…the dumb kid…the class clown.( In Catholic grade school, those were usually the ones that got hit a lot.:()

The science of brain chemistry is fairly new and evolving. I recently listened to a program on NPR and the subject was about people that don’t have ADHD or ADD using these medications. In one study they confirmed not only what they already knew… that kids/teeens/young adults…with ADHD were helped by these medications, but that “NORMAL†people were helped even more! I take vitamins to help me be healthier...if I could take a pill to make my brain work to it's full potential, I think I would, if the side affects were limited.

But…back on topic. Tyler Sash was an idiot for using a drug that he could get in trouble for.

I understand the question regarding medication and drugging kids/adults. It’s a valid question. Probably should be in the Off topic or Politics forum for a good discussion. People shouldn’t take medications they don’t need. However, it’s the same argument used for people with depression that take meds, right? Can’t they just get over it? That's what "grandpa" says now.

Ten years ago, when the subject of ADD came up, I was skeptical and figured I would never put my kids on a drug like that. Had to be something the parents were doing wrong. I’m the mother of 4, with two already raised to adulthood, and two more to go. Starting in 2nd grade, I started hearing concerns from teachers about my third daughters inability to focus on the task at hand; a ten minute homework sheet would take her well over an hour to complete. We constantly had to redirect her. I started to wonder if she really had ADD.

The start of 5th grade second semester, her teacher once again brought up her lack of focus. I always heard…â€we know she’s smart but she can’t stay on task long enoughâ€. She was getting behind in grade level in all subjects. After discussing with her doctor, and having her teachers (and her parents) fill out questionnaires about behavior it was decided she should be medicated. She was put on the lowest dose. The first full day of being on this medication, without any prompting, she came home and did her homework and was done, just like that. Two weeks later I emailed her teacher and asked if she noticed any difference in behavior. She responded back very positively about how well she was doing in school. I felt bad that I had resisted having her evaluated before because of my resistance to the idea that meds could help.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that the stuff is over prescribed on the whole. Practically every Title XIX kid is on some sort of Adderall, Concerta, etc. Far and away the reason is because the kid is an a$$hole at school because his parents are $hitty parents. At any rate, it is the easy way out.

MNHawkeyeFreak - i hope you didnt take my "normal" comment the wrong way. Some kids desperately need it. I am an adult, and i am prescribed amphetamine salts. it works for me. others abuse it. i applaud you for actually paying attention to your daughter.

MNHawkeyeFreak - i hope you didnt take my "normal" comment the wrong way. Some kids desperately need it. I am an adult, and i am prescribed amphetamine salts. it works for me. others abuse it. i applaud you for actually paying attention to your daughter.

No...I didn't take it that way...just pointing out that there are legitimate uses for it.

That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that the stuff is over prescribed on the whole. Practically every Title XIX kid is on some sort of Adderall, Concerta, etc. Far and away the reason is because the kid is an a$$hole at school because his parents are $hitty parents. At any rate, it is the easy way out.

You're probably correct about the overprescribing. Some doctors hand out prescriptions for various meds like they were candy. At the large medical system located where I live, my child had to have input from teachers, her dance instructors, and parents, as well as have a physical and an ECG before being put on these meds. She's evaluated frequently for their effacacy.

The kids could be acting up at school because they have ****** homes, or possibly, it's genetic. Maybe their parents had the same disorder which lead to difficulties in school and learning. Maybe they dropped out of school because of it. Because they were stunted in learning, they are not able to be productive citizens. I don't know.

The kids could be acting up at school because they have ****** homes, or possibly, it's genetic. Maybe their parents had the same disorder which lead to difficulties in school and learning. Maybe they dropped out of school because of it. Because they were stunted in learning, they are not able to be productive citizens. I don't know.

Well, sort of genetic. Trash raises more trash, which raises more trash. I think you get the point. These kids don't really have much of a chance from the onset. Let it be known I deal with these people on a daily basis and am VERY cynical because of it.

Well, sort of genetic. Trash raises more trash, which raises more trash. I think you get the point. These kids don't really have much of a chance from the onset. Let it be known I deal with these people on a daily basis and am VERY cynical because of it.

Yes...I was trying to be more politically correct. ;) But, if you could take that trash and give them a pill that would cure the trashiness...would you?

Lotsa political posturing by DUG up in here. And wanton use of the word "they".

Well it is good to see that even what Tyler did he isn't as stupid as some of the people here posting. Way be classy message board.

Lotsa political posturing by DUG up in here. And wanton use of the word "they".

eso_es_racista.gif

Latest posts