Sally Mason Retiring

Wow,there is so much to LIKE....Please hire a president that values athletics and understands how a successful AD sells the U.

I would be very worried about who the village idiots, aka the Iowa Board of Regents, hire to replace her.

As am I.

What I want to see is a president who will actively "sell" and promote the university...not only for academics, but athletics as well. Someone who understands success in athletics is good for the university as a whole.

It seems to me the U. of Iowa has grown "stodgy" and complacent. Hopefully the new president will help UI to become more vibrant and appealing.

And yet, I have a feeling this is not the route the Regents will take. I so much hope I'm wrong.

I love the delusional people thinking this is going to make huge changes to the athletic department.

The only hope for Iowa athletics to dramatically improve is to get an aggressive AD. Step one just happened. With the right hire, the new president COULD set the hurricane in motion.

A little hope for brighter Hawkeye days is desperately needed right now if you haven't noticed.

There ya go. Step 1

Hint- where is IA at in its $1.5 billion campaign? Yep at the end, goal will be hit, a season of celebration, culmination of a career. Search will be public and long.

Contrary to the belief of the HN crowd, it wasn't pressure due to unrest for 1 sports program thT motivated this.

That said, expect a new Pres in place for their first FULL academic year being 2016-17. Direct reports will be evaluated. For those wanting change in football, and thinking the sequential leadership changes are needed... We're a ways off from the end game.

tweeter - you are ignorant if you think Jon doesn't know things that he doesn't feel good/comfortable about sharing on here for God and country to see.

I hope like hell this means good things for athletics but as an alumnus and current employee of this great institution, this is almost better than anything that could have happened at the PC yesterday.

You really think you are going to get a more athletics-friendly president in 2015? Seriously? The village idiots will be selecting from among a pool of applicants who all grew up in a politically-correct, gender-neutral, no winners-no losers-everyone-gets-a-trophy education system.

Now who's the delusional one?

Sally is the one that’s kept Barta around, you know that right? And Barta has kept KF around, still following?

So now, who can assume Gary doesn’t have much job security, and neither does KF. As Adam Rittenberg said yesterday, there NEEDS to be pressure within athletic dept to be successful, and right now there is none.

The only hope for Iowa athletics to dramatically improve is to get an aggressive AD. Step one just happened. With the right hire, the new president COULD set the hurricane in motion.

A little hope for brighter Hawkeye days is desperately needed right now if you haven't noticed.

Yeah, that's just it. It's all about hope.

There's no guarantee the new prez is going to be much better, obviously, but hopefully the replacement starts looking at the athletic department (the AD and everyone underneath - KF, etc.) and wants "their guy(s)" in there, and we get changes for the better. Again, hope vs. the status quo.

Guess we'll see. I'm not sure if this is something that was on the horizon anyway and could be total coincidence (I wouldn't really know), but the timing of this strikes me as interesting, given the hoopla surrounding the football program right now.

As am I.

What I want to see is a president who will actively "sell" and promote the university...not only for academics, but athletics as well. Someone who understands success in athletics is good for the university as a whole.

It seems to me the U. of Iowa has grown "stodgy" and complacent. Hopefully the new president will help UI to become more vibrant and appealing.

And yet, I have a feeling this is not the route the Regents will take. I so much hope I'm wrong.

There is so much money associated with the athletics, in particular football at many schools, that a university president at a top 5 conference really needs to have some insight to athletics. It's almost to the point, a university can't afford not to.

Ferentz spent 1000's of hours traversing the state of Iowa, meeting personally with donors and fundraising in the last three years to ensure Iowa got the facilities built it needed to be on par with the rest of the top football programs. This was critical to the future of Iowa football regardless of who the coach is. These efforts were extremely time consuming and didn't allow him to focus on his coaching duties as much as he felt he needed to. Iowa has a Top 15 in the USA loaded with money athletic department. Loaded because of the revenue generated by Ferentz's Hawkeye football teams over the last 16 years. Iowa had the money to build these facilities without making Ferentz lead a campaign to raise funds privately. Sally Mason was the policy leader that diverted funds to many various other departments thereby hurting the football program. She was also personally behind the restrictions placed on parking/tailgating/post game parties and eveything else fun on gamedays. I know it's hard to see when you have your head rammed up inside of your a** but.

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    index.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
Thank god she's gone. Definitely would like to see a President hired with some enthusiasm. The status quo is stale. Change starts at the top.

Ferentz spent 1000's of hours traversing the state of Iowa, meeting personally with donors and fundraising in the last three years to ensure Iowa got the facilities built it needed to be on par with the rest of the top football programs. This was critical to the future of Iowa football regardless of who the coach is. These efforts were extremely time consuming and didn't allow him to focus on his coaching duties as much as he felt he needed to. Iowa has a Top 15 in the USA loaded with money athletic department. Loaded because of the revenue generated by Ferentz's Hawkeye football teams over the last 16 years. Iowa had the money to build these facilities without making Ferentz lead a campaign to raise funds privately. Sally Mason was the policy leader that diverted funds to many various other departments thereby hurting the football program. She was also personally behind the restrictions placed on parking/tailgating/post game parties and eveything else fun on gamedays. I know it's hard to see when you have your head rammed up inside of your a** but.

Sally Mason came to Iowa from Purdue. See any irony there. Purdue not know for their tailgating atmosphere, IMO.

tweeter - you are ignorant if you think Jon doesn't know things that he doesn't feel good/comfortable about sharing on here for God and country to see.

No, it has nothing to do with Jon and more that Tweeter is ignorant to the fact that a college president has a hell of a lot to do with the success of the University and the Athletic's Department as a whole.

That said there are far bigger problems with the University than Athletics that the next president needs to tackle, a lot of those issues if fixed correctly will not only help the University but will also help the Athletic Department.

Latest posts