Sally Mason is CEO

I have never met Kirk Ferentz, and I want him fired. Is one OK, and the other isn't?

You do realize, don't you, that one really has little to do with the other? Or perhaps you don't. One's work is on full display 12 Saturdays each fall (well actually 11 Saturdays and then the Friday Nebby game) plus -- if he is successful -- a 13th game in someplace warm(er). The other one has overall executive responsibility for a major B1G university 24/7/365. Her efforts may not always be in full view, and yet her hand is on a lot of it.

Many of us want a change at the top of the football program because we feel it has not met expectations for many years, and we are concerned that little is being done to remain competitive in a changing football conference.

You want Sally Mason fired because as university president she addressed a mess around the university's facilities on game days and in the process ruined your tailgating.

Do you have a clue how small and narcissistic that comes across?

Tweeter tell us about your last game day experience. I'll hang up and listen.

In person? It has been a while. But I have read accounts of Hokk fans from as far away as Minnesota and Chicago coming to Iowa City on game Saturdays and getting so wasted they couldn't remember where they were, fell down in the stands, even urinated down their jeans. The online ICPD arrest blotter makes interesting reading the next day.

OTOH I have met Sally Mason and sat across the table from her at private fundraising dinners in New York City. She strikes me as a good person, one looking out for the welfare and growth of the university she loves and leads. Not always an easy task with the dim bulbs in the Legislature or the Regents.

Good call. Hope to hear from you again soon.

In person? It has been a while. But I have read accounts of Hokk fans from as far away as Minnesota and Chicago coming to Iowa City on game Saturdays and getting so wasted they couldn't remember where they were, fell down in the stands, even urinated down their jeans. The online ICPD arrest blotter makes interesting reading the next day.

OTOH I have met Sally Mason and sat across the table from her at private fundraising dinners in New York City. She strikes me as a good person, one looking out for the welfare and growth of the university she loves and leads. Not always an easy task with the dim bulbs in the Legislature or the Regents.

I will say she is consistent. Iowa ranks near the bottom on both the athletic and academic front in relation to other Big 10 schools.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by tweeterhawk

Just curious, dean -- have you ever met Sally Mason?
I have never met Kirk Ferentz, and I want him fired. Is one OK, and the other isn't?

Not sure I follow why you have to meet a public figure to have an opinion about their actions. I've never met Hitler, but I'm pretty sure I don't like him.

I would tend to agree that southern moonshiners need to be banned.

You take that back, Tweeter has met her, she's da bomb

The point is, deano, if you knew a little more about the situation you'd understand why it's not in your best interests, the university's and the city's to let you and others similarly situated to get hammered in teh vicinity of Kinnick. It's rather stunning you think she should be fired for that.

Kiplinger's - February / 2015 issue.........ranking the Top 100 Public Colleges

#6 Michigan
#8 Wisconsin
#9 Maryland
#15 Ohio State
#27 Purdue
#32 Minnesota
#36 Illinois
#40 Indiana
#43 Rutgers
#50 Michigan State
#56 Penn State
#68 Nebraska

Many elements factored (grad rates, academic support, cost & financial aid, student indebtedness, etc.)......basically rating the best value overall. Article lists which schools were not included in the rankings due to incomplete data and Iowa was not one of them. By my count that leaves Iowa as the only Big 10 school to not make the cut as Northwestern is a private college and was ranked #20 among the Top 50 Private Colleges.

Another example of leadership in IC?

For what it is worth, US News has Iowa ranked as the #27 public University, and the #71 overall National University (link).

The point is, deano, if you knew a little more about the situation you'd understand why it's not in your best interests, the university's and the city's to let you and others similarly situated to get hammered in teh vicinity of Kinnick. It's rather stunning you think she should be fired for that.

Also, everyone still gets hammered on game days anyway. Nothing's really changed.

For what it is worth, US News has Iowa ranked as the #27 public University, and the #71 overall National University (link).

There is a concerted effort in Iowa City to bring those numbers up while shedding the rank of No. 1 party school.

Sorry, deano.

I know you started this just to troll me, but pull your head out of your azz Tweeter. This isn't about getting drunk, but that is all you got, cause you don't even know what Kinnick is like any longer......you just "read" about it. I drive down every morning on game day, and I stay sober cause I drove home after every game. I have no interest in seeing more drunks around Kinnick on game day. This isn't about "getting hammered". It's about the University offering a fun and inviting environment for it's paying customers. You don't just tell your SUPPORTERS who are actually paying thousands of $$$$ a year to just show up, shut up, and GTFO when the game is done.

The problem is the university has driven away far too many of the good people with it's go f yourself attitude. The give me your check, now GTFO policies. Maybe you would understand this if you had actually set foot in Kinnick over the last 10 years. Instead you sit in your ivory tower (Ivory tower = couch in your case) with Sally, and try to explain to others what is and isn't good for them. Man I think you have been hanging with those libs too long in da Wasteland, and you are starting to think like them....next you'll tell me Sally Mason should be dictator and supreme commander so those mean BOR types don't spoil her master plans......cause lack of oversight has never led to anything bad at all....

Go back to Da Wasteland and ask OK4P how welcoming the athletic dept. and the university are......maybe he can splan it to ya.

You take that back, Tweeter has met her, she's da bomb
She has good intentions. That's all that matters. The Legislature and Regents won't let her succeed.

Kirk has good intentions. That's all that matters. ISU and the B1G teams won't let him succeed.

/i'm not even sure whether to turn sarcasm off/on

Purdue #27 ranking in academics in one poll.
Iowa #27 in academics in another poll.

No wonder they're our inter-division rival in football.

US News .... meh .... it has US in it so that's something

Latest posts