Rumors Swirling: BF is done.

My one concern with LeVar being the OC, is it possible for an OC of KF's to have enough success to be promoted to HC?
It's a catch 22 unfortunately. I don't see him going from ST coach to head coach.

If he were to take on the interim OC role now, even if it doesn't go well it can easily be chalked up to inheriting a dumpster fire on 3 days' notice.

A lot of people, here and elsewhere, are saying that Woods couldn't and shouldn't be OC because he didn't play it. Being a position coach on offense means he's in the meetings helping with the game planning. As TE coach, he has to know the ins and outs of the offense and game plan. It's obvious he did that very well because the results speak for themselves. He can learn on the job this year. He's already shown that he can take over as a coordinator, learn, and become the best. He's also shown that he's very innovative and very detail-oriented. Is there anyone that is more the opposite of BF than him? Isn't that what everyone's been bitching about wanting for the last several years? Well, here's your guy.

The offense would be even worse without Brian this year. I don't think the average fan realizes just how bad the line is and how deficient we are at every offensive position outside of tailback right now.
But who recruited the players and developed the players?

A lot of people, here and elsewhere, are saying that Woods couldn't and shouldn't be OC because he didn't play it. Being a position coach on offense means he's in the meetings helping with the game planning. As TE coach, he has to know the ins and outs of the offense and game plan. It's obvious he did that very well because the results speak for themselves. He can learn on the job this year. He's already shown that he can take over as a coordinator, learn, and become the best. He's also shown that he's very innovative and very detail-oriented. Is there anyone that is more the opposite of BF than him? Isn't that what everyone's been bitching about wanting for the last several years? Well, here's your guy.
This.

For coaches to even sniff a job at a big P5 school they have to know the ins and outs, top to bottom. The amount of film any of those guys have analyzed and torn apart is mind-boggling. A lot of folks think positional coaches live in a bubble of that position which couldn't be farther from the truth. Do you really think LeVar just sits back and plays Angry Birds on his phone until there's a punt or FG attempt?

Watch all the coaches next time you're at a D1 game. EVERY single one of them has a job, every single play...no matter what it is and no matter who has the ball. All of those guys are coaching and involved, 100% of the time.

He knows every single play and formation, and he's on the exact same headset frequency as KF, BF, and Phil, and has been for a whole lot of years. He knows the system and the game.

She's gonna get hired by Texas or Michigan or someone who can pay her 3x what Iowa does in about 6 months after the ink is dry so don't get too attached.
Um, we get the exact same share of the revenue pie as Michigan, and the SEC revenue numbers are similar to the Big 10. There is no reason we cannot keep a talented AD.

I would like to see her do more than one good (and pretty obvious) thing before I get into a bidding war, however.

This.

For coaches to even sniff a job at a big P5 school they have to know the ins and outs, top to bottom. The amount of film any of those guys have analyzed and torn apart is mind-boggling. A lot of folks think positional coaches live in a bubble of that position which couldn't be farther from the truth. Do you really think LeVar just sits back and plays Angry Birds on his phone until there's a punt or FG attempt?

Watch all the coaches next time you're at a D1 game. EVERY single one of them has a job, every single play...no matter what it is and no matter who has the ball. All of those guys are coaching and involved, 100% of the time.

He knows every single play and formation, and he's on the exact same headset frequency as KF, BF, and Phil, and has been for a whole lot of years. He knows the system and the game.
Hiring a guy who has exactly two years of offensive position coaching, and who has never called an offensive play in his entire career, to be your new P5 OC is less bright than hiring your son to do it. BF had a natural and reasonable progression. His entire career as player and coach was on offense, and before he was elevated he was the run game coordinator for the offense. He was in every offensive meeting and helped create the offensive game plan each week before he was asked to call plays.

The notion that because Woods is not playing Angry Birds during the offensive sets and therefore he has learned how to coach offense and call plays through some sort of football osmosis is a just a bit of a leap of faith, don't ya think?

The main reason I don't want this to happen is I don't want the next man up trying to just build the same mousetrap better. So, we move Woods to OC and keep the rest of the clown car in place running the same offense????? Even if he is better than BF, does that just mean I have KOK again (eventually, after he learns how to call plays)? Nope. I want KF to hire a new offensive staff, let them do their jobs, and do things differently. That is the only way we are going to compete in the New Big 10!!!

Woods is the assistant/associate head coach. Not the OC. For me.

I think Woods is a perfect candidate for head coach....as I've come to see that head coaching success has far less to do with Xs and Os, experience, or some magical ability. And has far more to do with who you are, who you know, and most importantly, where you are.

Is he a candidate for offensive coordinator? No clue. Does the HC job have to audition through the OC position? I wouldn't think so. I'm sure he could do it reasonably well, at the very least. And, as we've said...it's not like Kirk doesn't have at least a 'general' way he wants it done. It's not like he would have to immediately build a philosophy and general scheme from scratch. Seems like that wouldn't be welcomed anyway. Would it make sense to give him a crack at it? I have no idea. I'd let everyone else argue that. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Yeah, maybe a steady hand seems like a good idea for another year or two or three. But then again, whoever it is.....is going to have to operate within the parameters of Kirkball. Assuming Kirk doesn't want to takes his marbles and go home. If that happens, no point in wondering about an OC until there's an HC.

It's like buying a used car. Unless you're willing to shell out for a late model, low mileage.....you're just going by gut and gambling you get lucky.

Last edited:
Kirk can’t really say shit as he doesn’t want to crack the lie that Brian was a Barta hire so there wasn’t a nepotism violation.

Whomever the new OC is, sure has a hell of a lot catching up to do with what's in the cupboard on offense. As a leader it will be him to make the players look good by scheming to their talent and abilities and putting them in position to win with what they have. Once he can get some talent recruited he will have to do it all over again. Regardless this is not a light switch that gets flipped from off to on. I wouldn't expect alot next season but I would expect with Phil on the other side of the ball he will have it a little easier time than some. CRIPES, Phil gave Brian a hell of a lot chances to succeed.
My hope is Beth is honest with Kirk and with some expectations. I fear though it isn't really going to matter what last name is the OC. I truly believe Kirk has a system. It's outdated and he's going to handcuff whomever is in that system. I'm not a Brian fan nor a Brian apologist. Just can't believe he was that bad without some help. Hope I'm wrong!

Whomever the new OC is, sure has a hell of a lot catching up to do with what's in the cupboard on offense. As a leader it will be him to make the players look good by scheming to their talent and abilities and putting them in position to win with what they have. Once he can get some talent recruited he will have to do it all over again. Regardless this is not a light switch that gets flipped from off to on. I wouldn't expect alot next season but I would expect with Phil on the other side of the ball he will have it a little easier time than some. CRIPES, Phil gave Brian a hell of a lot chances to succeed.
My hope is Beth is honest with Kirk and with some expectations. I fear though it isn't really going to matter what last name is the OC. I truly believe Kirk has a system. It's outdated and he's going to handcuff whomever is in that system. I'm not a Brian fan nor a Brian apologist. Just can't believe he was that bad without some help. Hope I'm wrong!
Maybe pops was helping him. Would it really surprise anyone.

What absolutely blows me away is the fact that Goetz went as far to say that "this is his last season with the program". I like so many just assumed that he'd be demoted to a position coach again but never thought he'd be leaving the program entirely. Blown away.
Yup. I was certainly shocked by that announcement. Could it have been planned in advance in that BF told her he wanted to move on? Speculation only.

An experienced, successful coach is a legit candidate for the next step. These guys know X’s & O’s forward and backward. Football is not rocket science. The biggest adjustment to more responsibility is creativity in personnel.

Latest posts