Ross P to Alabama - For Real

First of all, NFL is a different ball game brother. That doesn't mean he isn't the best college coach around.

MSU....so, because he was mediocre at MSU....15 years ago....he isn't he best now? I'll use 116-19 since MSU, as well as 3 of last 4 titles as my proof. Say what you want about him. I'm not a fan, he rubs me the wrong way all too often. But the results speak for themselves. And use the 'code' all you want. That is the reality of college football. RECRUITING. If you are in the south, you have the advantage. If you are in the SEC, you have another advantage. If you are at Alabama, you have even more of an advantage. Has Saban benefited from all that. Absolutely. But he has maximized every situation. Nobody else has done that. He is a machine. Listen to him. Watch him. He is detailed, a tactician. He is light years ahead of most coaches running a program.

Oh yeah... but Kirk's a nice guy.

What, in any of what you just said, contradicts the assertion that Saban is lightyears ahead of most coaches in running a program? Maybe he cheats like crazy, but he's way better at getting away with it. In what way does that NOT put him ahead of most coaches (I'm not talking about morals, I'm talking about coaching and running a program)?
If the only way you can run your program effectively is through illegal and immoral means, that kind of makes you a sociopath. If he's willing to lie, cheat, and steal to get you, he'll do the same to get rid of you. I feel sorry for Ross. I'll bet anything that Iowa wins more games over the next four years than Alabama does, since most of Alabama's wins will be vacated I'm sure.

If the only way you can run your program effectively is through illegal and immoral means, that kind of makes you a sociopath. If he's willing to lie, cheat, and steal to get you, he'll do the same to get rid of you. I feel sorry for Ross. I'll bet anything that Iowa wins more games over the next four years than Alabama does, since most of Alabama's wins will be vacated I'm sure.
I agree plus he will make less in the nfl from being drafted as a guard vs being drafted as a left tackle. As he would from Iowa.

This boy has a fool for a father.

If you're offered a full ride to Stanford, you take the full ride to Stanford and start packing for California.

Period, full stop.

As it stands, he might get playing time at Alabama, he might not. He might make the NFL, but probably won't. So at the end of the day, his most likely scenario is a mediocre college career and a degree from BumFk Alabama.

When he could have had a degree from Stanford and a better shot at playing time and the NFL.

Bad fathering.

Why does everyone think that HS kids changing their minds is something new. I know guys that coached D1 football in the 70s and they have stories about camping out in a kids driveway on signing day because he verb'd to them but another coach came in that day and they signed with them. Only thing different is now you hear about every one that happens. Not the first time it will happen. Not the last.

Yup.

And as sleazy as the OSU and Miami and Auburn and USC and Oregon incidents have been, they pale in comparison to what went on at SMU and Oklahoma in the 70's, to name a few.

Well guess what? That's the name of college athletics today. Never has the phrase "If you're not cheating, you're not trying," been more true. Don't hate the player, hate the game. The whole system is slimy now; Saban is just the best at operating within it as it stands currently.

Also, who cares about vacated wins? That's literally the most toothless "punishment" ever created.

That is one change I would make. It should be forfeits for Alabama, Ohio State, Pedo state and all the others rather than vacated wins.

This boy has a fool for a father.

If you're offered a full ride to Stanford, you take the full ride to Stanford and start packing for California.

Period, full stop.

As it stands, he might get playing time at Alabama, he might not. He might make the NFL, but probably won't. So at the end of the day, his most likely scenario is a mediocre college career and a degree from BumFk Alabama.

When he could have had a degree from Stanford and a better shot at playing time and the NFL.

Bad fathering.

The guy raised his kid in Cedar Falls, so you've already got a prima facie case of bad fathering. But you're right, you send your kid to Stanford in that scenario. No doubt. Less competition for playing time, still get plenty of exposure to scouts, don't have to get punked by dudes like Clowney, your degree has some utility aside from kindling or toilet paper, better campus, etc. Around where I live, people would sell kidneys to get their kids into a top 10 or 20 school and this guy is just walking away from one. I don't get it. I guess it takes being out of Iowa for awhile to appreciate the real world value of going to a prestigious school in terms of future earning potential.

Well guess what? That's the name of college athletics today. Never has the phrase "If you're not cheating, you're not trying," been more true. Don't hate the player, hate the game. The whole system is slimy now; Saban is just the best at operating within it as it stands currently.

Also, who cares about vacated wins? That's literally the most toothless "punishment" ever created.
Oh, I'm sorry Godfather. Obviously we should all respect Saban as much as you do for all of his clever cheating and slimy tactics. I am so glad I have some kid here to tell me to be happy with a dirty system.

I kind of feel sorry for you.

That is one change I would make. It should be forfeits for Alabama, Ohio State, Pedo state and all the others rather than vacated wins.

Forfeits mean nothing, guy. Monetary sanctions are what matter. In addition, if the NFL and NBA are going to by fiat treat the NCAA as their minor leagues, they need a deal whereby they put some bar on a tainted coach from just moving to the pros after he steamrolls a college program. And the NCAA bans for coaches need to be substantially stronger AND they need to be accompanied with a clawback of some portion of comp. These guys speak one language. Money. That's it. You cheat, you lose some of it.

Oh, I'm sorry Godfather. Obviously we should all respect Saban as much as you do for all of his clever cheating and slimy tactics. I am so glad I have some kid here to tell me to be happy with a dirty system.

College sports are about 80% recruiting, 20% coaching. Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's more often than not (save for when Kurt is playing Northwestern or a directional Michigan school).

I don't reach the same conclusion as some here. ..bla bla bla if he was a real hawk fan he would have selected Iowa and stuck wiht Iowa.

I don't buy it.

Being a fan is not the issue here. The issue for the young man and not for fans to decide is what school gives him the best chance to achieve his goals and have the most fun doing it. How can you fault a young man for following his dream? Easy ! You fault him because you feel some how belittled, rejected, unaffirmed in his choice. Somehow you feel less than or actually you somehow feel that your favorite team is viewed as less than which is tantamount to you feeling less than. A bit too much attachment in my opion by some of you.

That is for the opponents. They are the ones that got cheated on and the forfeit is the restitution. In the case of 2009 the OSU cheating not only influenced games but a big 10 championship. I agree too that Alabama should not be limited to forfeiting games, but all the other punishments including sanctions should be employed.

Hate the system all you want; you'll get no disagreement from me on how bad the system currently is. Saban just does what he has to in order to win within it, and has placed himself well out in front of the rest of the nation's coaches because of it. To say he's not ahead of most coaches because he cheats would be to eliminate most of the coaching pool. Most of them cheat to varying degrees. But doing things the right way doesn't put you ahead in college sports anymore. Kirk and Iowa are nowhere near the level of success of Saban and Bama, and they probably never will be.

Agreed, but it's much tougher to be a star there than at Iowa. I don't think I understand why he'd do this.

is it that hard to understand that someone who is one of the top players in the country might want to play for a team that can be a potential national champion in any of the years they are there? Alabama has won more national championships in the last four years than Iowa has won Big Ten titles in the entire KF era.

if someone is able to take emotion out of the equation it isn't really difficult to see the rationale. You can play for a team you grew up as a huge fan of and MAYBE win a conference title while you are there or you can go to Alabama and have a better chance, arguably, of winning a NATIONAL title.

I never said I believed Ferentz blew it. But I don't care for people ripping a kid to shreds for no other reason than he decided to back out and not play for Iowa. We certainly welcomed Barkley Hill into the fold with open arms. We can't have our cake and eat it too. Why is RP's situation any different?

Oh yeah, because he's not going to play for Iowa so a bunch of people are nursing a serious case of but hurt about it.

Barkley Hil was in-state switching to in-state. Big difference. But you're the one who mentioned KF blowing it.

This thread is soooo full of butthurt. On the butthurt rating scale of 1 to 10 with 10 having the most pain in your butt, this is an eleven. Jeebus bob. Step away from the keyboard! Seriously! A kid sucks because he didn't pick your college to go to? Get a grip.

Butthurt isn't the issue. It's an in-state kid going out-of-state who said he wouldn't comment. Then we read how KF tried twice (successfully) to keep him, and in the end, couldn't. Who would have revealed that? The kid who wouldn't comment, obviously.

bob is teh most butthurt butthole on this board.

I remember on the old Scout Board when the Hawks were in the Final 2 for John Clay and there was a poster there who said, in jest, he was going to go to Clay's house and sit outside threatening to slit his wrists while sobbing and singing the Iowa Fight Song until Clay verballed.

bob is coming off a lot like that dude, but is not acting in jest at all. Creepy how obsessed he is with a 17 year old kid changing his mind 6 months before Signing Day.

So creepy. Yet you talk about me in third person. Lack of stone-age, perhaps?

Face it, the kid ranked on his home state and the team for which he claimed lifelong "fan" status.

Latest posts