RIP Cubs...

I think that says a lot more about the quality of teams in the division than it does the Cubs.
Totally agree on that. Amazingly (and I know this is not 100 % scientific) but there are only 5 NL teams below .500 currently, and 4 are in the NL Central.

Right, and if the team were built that way, I would share in the concern that they're not capable of doing those things. But they're not - they're a team built around hitting the home run and driving the ball into the gap. This edition of the Cubs is not designed to be a station-to-station team.

It doesn't help that everyone in the lineup is pressing right now, either.

Apparently this edition of the Cubs is not designed to be a power team either...if you're only going to be one dimensional, you're screwed when that dimension isn't there...and let's face it...you don't have to be built to play small ball, to play situational baseball...even the Cubs pitchers botch sac bunts and they're not going up there to go yard...except for Zambrano.

Most people don't realize that in 2007 the Cubs had the 6th best record....in the NL. If there was ever a team that got what was coming to them in the playoffs, it was that team.

A similar Cardinals team (not much better than .500) won the world series a few years ago...so anything can happen...but you're right, it's definitely easier to make the playoffs now days with more spots available and smaller divisions, but it's harder for the less deserving teams to get through more rounds...add in the Cub factor and it's "beat down time".

Apparently this edition of the Cubs is not designed to be a power team either...if you're only going to be one dimensional, you're screwed when that dimension isn't there...and let's face it...you don't have to be built to play small ball, to play situational baseball...even the Cubs pitchers botch sac bunts and they're not going up there to go yard...except for Zambrano.

I think something got lost in the interpretation. Guys like Soriano, Lee, and Ramirez, etc...are not in the lineup to be singles hitters, or to sac bunt, or to move guys into scoring position with ground outs. They're there to hit the ******* ball, and right now, they're not (Soriano excepted) not doing it.

When - if - Lee and Ramirez start to hit, the team will start to win. Without those two guys, the offense is dead in the water, and that's been a constant up to this point.

A similar Cardinals team (not much better than .500) won the world series a few years ago...so anything can happen...but you're right, it's definitely easier to make the playoffs now days with more spots available and smaller divisions, but it's harder for the less deserving teams to get through more rounds...add in the Cub factor and it's "beat down time".

I was under the impression that the 2005 and 2006 World Series were both cancelled due to lack of interest. Now you're telling me that the 2006 edition was indeed played?

I'd like to see Ramirez take a stint on the DL and try and right things. A nice stay in Des Moines would do him well.

I'd like to see Ramirez take a stint on the DL and try and right things. A nice stay in Des Moines would do him well.

Brenly mentioned that during the broadcast on Friday against St. Louis, and I happen to agree with him. If they're not going to call bring Chad Tracy back up, at least give him the respect a guy with his much time in the league deserves and trade him.

Tracy is hitting something like .450 for Iowa while Ramirez has played twice since the Rangers series.

I think something got lost in the interpretation. Guys like Soriano, Lee, and Ramirez, etc...are not in the lineup to be singles hitters, or to sac bunt, or to move guys into scoring position with ground outs. They're there to hit the ******* ball, and right now, they're not (Soriano excepted) not doing it.

When - if - Lee and Ramirez start to hit, the team will start to win. Without those two guys, the offense is dead in the water, and that's been a constant up to this point.

True dat...I'm more or less talking about how the table setters aren't even setting the table like they should be (getting on and getting into scoring position) and of course, even when they do, the power guys aren't driving them home right now.

True dat...I'm more or less talking about how the table setters aren't even setting the table like they should be (getting on and getting into scoring position) and of course, even when they do, the power guys aren't driving them home right now.

Which gets back to my statement about the entire lineup pressing. The Cubs need a game like this.

Atlanta Braves vs. Chicago Cubs - Recap - June 03, 2007 - ESPN

If you go back and look at what the Cubs did before and after that game, it's pretty clear it was a turning point.

Lou is as lost as his team. He should've pulled Lilly and didn't and it cost him. Of course if the team could score more than 2 runs, one mistake wouldn't cost Teddy the ballgame. Of course if the Cubs could score runs, they would actually WIN games.

Lou is as lost as his team. He should've pulled Lilly and didn't and it cost him. Of course if the team could score more than 2 runs, one mistake wouldn't cost Teddy the ballgame. Of course if the Cubs could score runs, they would actually WIN games.

These are good points. Can you imagine how frusterating it must be to be a starting pitcher for the Cubs? The margin for error is next to none, the only chance you have to get a W is to either shut your opponent out or maybe limit them to 1 run. I was really hoping adding a good hitting coach would right the ship before the season started, but my mind is boggled trying to figure out how Lee and Ramirez can continue to struggle so bad?

to many damn stranded runners

i got sick of doing previews to the games i need a good winning streak to get me back on track or once the blackhawks are done i'll go back to doing previews for hnation fans

Don't be so pessimistic Shane, you always have next year to look forward to.

I've been saying that since '84...I can only imagine how hard it is on the old timers who have been saying it for over 10 decades now...ok, so there probably aren't many of THOSE types around, but still...

Why should Lou have pulled him? The guy at the plate was playing in his 25th career game and had around 80 career at bats. I can't blame Lou for leaving him in there, but I'll blame Ted for worrying about the guy at 1st base instead of the guy at the plate.

Latest posts