RIP Cubs...

I agree the cubs need to be sellers, but who is going to be a buyer of the product. The players that would be good for other teams are way way to expensive. Plus they all have no trade clauses. The only one worth anything is Silva. I think the Cubs need to designate Soriano for assignment. Someone will pick him up (not sure how that affects contracts, but once someone who is cut gets picked up, doesn't their original contract become null and void, eg. Howry's contract with the Dbacks)
I am no fan of Soriano, but he leads the team in HRs, slugging pct, and .OPS (.933). He is second in runs scored and actually has 18 walks (good for him, so far). I don't think he is the biggest issue and he may return some value in a deal if they go that way. Unfortunately, the contract is a problem.

Silva could win seven more straight in June and the Cubbies wouldn't come close to playing .600 ball; indeed, since they are six below .500 with Silva 7-0, and can't hold their own against the other two worst teams in the NL, Pirates & Astros, it is highly probable they will have a losing record at the traditional 4th of July mid-season mark.

As constituted, this Cub team does not hit with enough power, run well enough or play defense with the consistency AND RANGE necessary to play winning baseball in the major leagues.

Anyone who watch last night's game (yes, I know, hard to get more than glimpses in between periods of Blackhawks-Flyers) should understand why in an earlier string of post (what one trade should the Cubs make) I argued that the first, key step should be to bundle Zambrano, low minor league CF prospect Brett Jackson and a one of the second-level pitchers who are solid marginal prospects at Iowa (I suggested Jay Jackson as the most likely to be attractive to Astro GM Ed Wade, as closest to major league ready), with adjustments to the package if necessary, for Houston's CF and leadoff man, Michael Bourn--the top base stealer & best defensive OF in the league, and most of all, the guy at the top of the order who gets himself into scoring position more often than any other leadoff man in the majors.

Bourn was the key to the Astro's win, in the field as well as at the plate and on the bases. And while he was putting on an exhibition of the difference he could make for the Cubs, Zambrano was giving further depressing proof that for all his ability he is not going to be a successful pitcher again until he is wearing a different uniform.

You want to trade Zambrano, Brett Jackson and Jay Jackson for Michael Bourn? The guy that has an OBP 14 points higher than the Cubs current CF and NO power? Who else do you suggest the Astros send the Cubs, along with Bourn, to make that a fair trade, cause the Cubs would be getting raped in that deal. The ONLY good thing about that deal is that it would get Hendry fired and rightfully so.

If Bourn had a .450 OBP with his defense and speed, I could maybe see it, but he doesn't get on base much better than Byrd. The whole goal of the guy hitting first is to get on base, and he doesn't do that at a high level. Kosuke has an OBP .020 higher than Bourn, he's been leading off more for the Cubs than anyone else, other than Theriot (who sucks). I'd argue Kosuke would be much better for the Cubs leading off, all of the time, than Bourn. And banish the mini Cajun to the bench or 8th in the order.

I am no fan of Soriano, but he leads the team in HRs, slugging pct, and .OPS (.933). He is second in runs scored and actually has 18 walks (good for him, so far). I don't think he is the biggest issue and he may return some value in a deal if they go that way. Unfortunately, the contract is a problem.

It's not his performance I mind, it's the 4 years left on his contract that keeps the cubs from doing a lot, other than sign old expensive players. If they could get rid of him I think Colvin owuld step in and do a great job. Personally I'd like to see Big Z and Soriano gone. We only have to deal with Fukudome for one more season after this one, and Rammy is the same. D Lee is done after this year as is Lilly. Dempster is a keeper, good pitcher and clubhouse guy. All have no trade clauses as well

It's not his performance I mind, it's the 4 years left on his contract that keeps the cubs from doing a lot, other than sign old expensive players. If they could get rid of him I think Colvin owuld step in and do a great job. Personally I'd like to see Big Z and Soriano gone. We only have to deal with Fukudome for one more season after this one, and Rammy is the same. D Lee is done after this year as is Lilly. Dempster is a keeper, good pitcher and clubhouse guy. All have no trade clauses as well
I would agree. If someone would take Soriano's contract, then trade him!

I would agree. If someone would take Soriano's contract, then trade him!

Exactly the bang is not even close to being worth the buck. I hope the cubs can make some financial room to make a play at Adrian Gonzalez, but I think a few contracts will have to move for that to happen. And I really think the Cubs will try to sign Lilly again, even though I think Gorz could be our lefty in the rotation.

Wells
Dempster
Gorzellany
Cashner
Jackson, Silva (if they don't trade him, though is value is high) Marshall maybe or a free agent starter
would be a good rotation in my mind

I didn't get to watch the game on Friday, but when I found out that they scored 1 run, ONE, on a guy who was previously 0-7, I threw up in my mouth a little bit. They're awful. No offense whatsoever. Just down-right pathetic is what they are.

cubs in a situation right now...3 on no out

cubs doing pretty well today against a horrible pirates team lol

cubs in a situation right now...3 on no out

cubs doing pretty well today against a horrible pirates team lol

Key word is today. Today the pirates are horrible, everyother time the cubs play them they make the pirates look like the 2000 Yankees

Also, the cubs strength the last few weeks/month has been..........................THE BULLPEN. The young guys are stepping up and looking awesome.

Also, the cubs strength the last few weeks/month has been..........................THE BULLPEN. The young guys are stepping up and looking awesome.

This is exactly why you don't go out and spend boatloads of money on FA relievers or make stupid trades to acquire them. Relievers are just so up and down and you can use young, cheap up and coming pitchers and get basically what you would out of veterans. That's not really all that true anywhere else on a baseball team, but it is in the BP. Spend money on bats and starters, go cheap on the bench and BP.

This is exactly why you don't go out and spend boatloads of money on FA relievers or make stupid trades to acquire them. Relievers are just so up and down and you can use young, cheap up and coming pitchers and get basically what you would out of veterans. That's not really all that true anywhere else on a baseball team, but it is in the BP. Spend money on bats and starters, go cheap on the bench and BP.

I've been huge on the young BP all year. Don't understand the Grabow signing at all, never have. And bringing in Howry and sending down Berg (i think) was a waste.

Latest posts