Redshirt Clemmons and Olaseni.

PEN15

I think this would be healthy for the future. Think about it. Its obvious marble needs to play point next year as much as possible. When he is not Gesell can be playing the point. It would be worth it to have a veteran in Clemmons for a year after Gesell is done. Even Ingram could play the point for a little bit if needed here and there. I dont think Ingram will ever have a major role so redshirt for him would be a waste. If we sign Ulis he will also need time to beef up to run the point. Clemmons then could have a monster senior season being the main man.

Regarding Olaseni redshirt. I think there is a chance woody could leave after his junior year. Having a veteran in Gabe would be great if that were to happen. He is also still pretty raw and needs as much time as possible. This would help our logjam of Mccabe, Basabe, Woody, White, and Uthoff and even Meyer. IMO Basabe brings more then Gabe so it isnt worth cutting his minutes for Gabe.

What do you guys think?

Yes I know maybe I should call up Fran.

Clemmons is one of only 2 players (Gesell being the other) true point guards on the team.

No way with Olaseni, he will have a big role on the team next season.

Olaseni has improved his game over the past 2 months to the point where his skills are needed on the floor now. He will have another Summer to improve with coaching and can be a significant contributor in the Iowa lineup next year. There is nothing preventing a lineup that includes both Olaseni and Woody on the floor at the same time if we wanted to go old school with the "twin towers".

Clemmons doesn't need a redshirt year to develop "skills". He has the athletic ability and tools necessary to be a good D1 point guard, he lacks the critical thinking or basketball IQ that is needed. Basketball IQ isn't going to be learned by redshirting. The kid is either going to get it or he won't.

A team like Iowa needs all players contributing to make a tournament run. We don't need to be worrying about a 1 yr stop gap should Woodbury leave after his Jr season. Recruiting will replace Woody.

Think both Clemmons and Olaseni will play crucial defensive rolls next yr and will be needed for extended minutes if foul problems arise. If they can even bring 1-2 additional wins by playign next yr i see no reason to redshirt. Part of playing at a big time program is having playing time issues and the possibility with being a role player your entire career. Hopefully we are a big time program for the extended future.

Next year is our chance to make a run. We'll need everybody we have including Clemmons and Olaseni.

It only takes 1 injury, just like in the case of Gessell that we had a need for Clemmons to play big minutes.

Next year is our chance to make a run. We'll need everybody we have including Clemmons and Olaseni.

It only takes 1 injury, just like in the case of Gessell that we had a need for Clemmons to play big minutes.

Yep we'll have a good chance to do some real damage next year, that is now the time to worry about the future.

I get what your saying. I just think those 1 or 2 wins could be like 4 or 5 wins in the future with a couple redshirts.

I think '14 recruiting will have an impact on redshirting decisions. If Franny can pick up a stud pg, maybe he'll think about redshirting Clemmons. I don't think Olaseni redshirts though. He has improved a lot. One more off-season might put him over the top!

Both of these players will be crucial to our team next year. Next season's team has the potential to make some noise in the B1G, and nationally. No way do you redshirt either of them.

Yep we'll have a good chance to do some real damage next year, that is now the time to worry about the future.

Come again?

I don't think anybody redshirts, possibly Ingram, but like somebody already pointed out, it may not even be worth it to redshirt him. Hopefully he can find a good shooting stroke or I think he'll be on the bench quite a bit for the rest of his career.

Come again?

I don't think anybody redshirts, possibly Ingram, but like somebody already pointed out, it may not even be worth it to redshirt him. Hopefully he can find a good shooting stroke or I think he'll be on the bench quite a bit for the rest of his career.

now=not

No way coach is redshirting any current kid. Coaches usually leave it up the kid after they've played their freshmen yr. What kid voluntarily wants to sit a yr after having a taste of contributing and getting better as the yr went on. (Everyone got better as the yr went on minus Oglesby of the kids who played alot) I changed my mind on this since the start of the year too. At the begining when Gabe wasn't playing much and wasn't doing so hot I thought so too. I don't now.

Fran is not a big fan of redshirting players unless it is absolutely necessary. In the case of Clemmons and Olaseni I think they are very much in the same mold as far as career progress meaning, both are solid defenders with obvious athletic ability. Both are kind of at a point where the light comes on so to speak. I just don't see how they won't play a huge factor next season. If this team wants to take that next step of contending for a league title they will need both of these guys to play a big role next year. Olaseni is much better defensively than Meyer, also an offseason of maturity and ball handling/shooting improvement from Clemmons and I think people will be surprised. These are 2 players I see getting a lot of minutes next year.

No way coach is redshirting any current kid. Coaches usually leave it up the kid after they've played their freshmen yr. What kid voluntarily wants to sit a yr after having a taste of contributing and getting better as the yr went on. (Everyone got better as the yr went on minus Oglesby of the kids who played alot) I changed my mind on this since the start of the year too. At the begining when Gabe wasn't playing much and wasn't doing so hot I thought so too. I don't now.

I was just kind of thinking maybe Clemmons would want to if he was looking long term. Playing something like 10-13 minutes per game next year being our third option at the point compared to starting his senior season with a redshirt and playing 30 minutes. Clemmons averaged like 15 minutes this year but its pretty obvious were better with marble at the point next year. Its not like Clemmons can play the 2, unlike Gesell.

All said and done yes we are better next year with both playing, however, were a heck of alot better in the future with both redshirting this year. Could be the difference between the dance and the NIT 2 or 3 years from now. I think we make the dance next year with or without Clemmons and Gabe.

Ingram and/or Jok.

That still leaves 11 scholarship athletes to play. Shooting will improve, if it hasn't already. RDM/MG have shown good outside touches. Uthoff will be available. JO has got to improve.

It will all depend on the early season games. If there's an injury or someone just isn't performing, then pull the RS. Otherwise, there isn't going to be enough playing time to go around.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Ingram and/or Jok.

That still leaves 11 scholarship athletes to play. Shooting will improve, if it hasn't already. RDM/MG have shown good outside touches. Uthoff will be available. JO has got to improve.

It will all depend on the early season games. If there's an injury or someone just isn't performing, then pull the RS. Otherwise, there isn't going to be enough playing time to go around.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

^ this

Although I am not sure on Ingram, I still have not figured out why he was not redshirted this year seeing how sparingly he was used. IMO, if anyone gets redshirted it would be Jok, I see most of his minutes coming once Marble graduates. Otherwise make Oglesby redshirt, perhaps he could get his head on straight with a year riding on the bench.

Latest posts