Redshirt Clemmons and Olaseni.

Ingram and/or Jok.

That still leaves 11 scholarship athletes to play. Shooting will improve, if it hasn't already. RDM/MG have shown good outside touches. Uthoff will be available. JO has got to improve.

It will all depend on the early season games. If there's an injury or someone just isn't performing, then pull the RS. Otherwise, there isn't going to be enough playing time to go around.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

No way Jok redshirts, he's way too talented. He will be the leading scorer of Iowa's bench mob and a major 3 point threat.

The only person that I could see redshirting would be Ingram. It all depends on how his off-season goes and what things are looking like lineup wise closer to the start of next year. The other plus to him redshirting is it breaks up this year's large freshman class some more. With Meyer redshirting this year and if Ingram were to redshirt next year, they would be moved into Jok's class.

No way Jok redshirts, he's way too talented. He will be the leading scorer of Iowa's bench mob and a major 3 point threat.

How can you be so sure? Minutes are going to be a premium next season with Uthoff eligible next season along with Meyer coming off a redshirt. Jok will see most of his minutes once Marble graduates.

You might be right, Iowa badly needs an outside threat but something has to give between Oglesby, Jok, Ingram, and possibly even Gesell all competing for minutes at the 2.

Nice problem to have though. Seems like only yesterday Iowa was just looking for warm bodies to suit up.

Next year could be "the year" we've all been waiting for, so we need all hands on deck.

I agree in not redshirting anyone, although it would be nice to have a little more balance to the classes...especially with that log jam with the current freshmen. Next year, we will have 3 seniors (marble, mccabe and basabe), 3 juniors (white, oglesby and olaseni), 5 sophomores (woody, gesell, clemmons, ingram and uthoff) and 2 freshmen (jok and meyer). Perhaps we can redshirt ingram and make the split 3, 3, 4, 3...but other than that , i say go with everyone...

McCaffrey knows he does not have top half of the conference talent, so he has to use a lot of guys knowing some will contribute and others won't. If Oglesby can't make shots, he is a liability and will lose his PT to someone. Unfortunately Ingram is a major project and appears a long way from being able to help out. It would surprise me if he returns, as he is not a scorer and does not have good handles, so where does he fit? I heard McCaffrey mention him as a defensive stopper similar to May, so maybe that is his role. The dude has a good first step and can get off the floor, but his lateral quickness isn't that great and he has no outside game at all. It will take major improvement for him to see the floor IMO.

Olaseni would be ok to redshirt. His upside with an extra year is just HUGE. He is in what, only his 5th or 6th year of organized basketball!? Lots to be learned, he would be a monster his junior & senior seasons. We have the size next year with Uthoff & Meyer coming in.

No way you redshirt Clemmons. But redshirting Ingram would be a good move. He will not get minutes until after MG & AC graduate. Then Ingram could finally get some good minutes...

Last edited:
The reason I say RS Jok is it will give him time to work with the trainers (if needed) to strengthen the knee. If he's healthy and ready to play, then let him compete for playing time. But if he's less than 100%, give him a year to build the muscle and get used to the speed (albeit practice) of D-I basketball.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

The Future Is Now!

100% agree. Year after next we lose a lot. The 13-14 year is our year to make a lot of noise. We'll need everyone for our 'team' as we (sans Marble) IMO won't have a real true world-beating stud on the floor. Team effort.

I don't think anybody who had minutes this year is going to redshirt. I do see Ingram leaving.

Ingram should have redshirted this year. Unfortunately, I suspect redshirting him now might lead to him leaving. I guess we shall see what happens.

Ingram should have redshirted this year. Unfortunately, I suspect redshirting him now might lead to him leaving. I guess we shall see what happens.

I would not rule out a couple of transfers after this season either. I don't think we will see a 13 man rotation so something has to give.

I would not rule out a couple of transfers after this season either. I don't think we will see a 13 man rotation so something has to give.
I agree, but here's who I think WON'T transfer:
  • RDM, Basabe, McCabe - Seniors-to-be and aren't going anywhere. If they do, they'd have to sit a year and I'm not sure any of them want to do that. Unless they go to a D-II/III school and I don't see that happening.
  • GO, JO, AWhite - Jrs-to-be. AW is a starter and won't leave. GO is starting to come around and probably knows he's going to be a significant part of the rotation. JO is an Iowa lad and probably won't even think about transfering.
  • AWood, MG, Uthoff - Sophs-to-be. Two starters and a transfer. Not going anywhere.
  • Jok - Frosh-to-be. Won't leave the program, but I believe the safe thing to do is redshirt him for reasons I've already mentioned.
That's 10 players, 9 of whom have good chance to see significant playing time next year.

That leaves Meyer, Ingram, and Clemmons:
  • Clemmons MAY transfer if he believes he's good enough to start elsewhere. But I don't see it. He probably will get significant playing time after next year, so I don't see him going anywhere.
  • Meyer is just coming off of a redshirt year. He MIGHT pull a Uthoff, but I haven't heard any grumblings to suggest that he will. This year was probably a good thing for him, so I don't see him leaving either.
  • Ingram is the wild card. He came in late, was out of shape, and didn't play much. To be honest, I think he should have redshirted this year to get acclimated to college life and the college game. He should probably redshirt next year. If not, he's wasted two years mostly riding the pine.

I just don't see 13 guys playing this year. So if I had to guess, I'd say 2 guys either redshirt or transfer.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Last edited:
I would not completely rule out an Oglesby transfer, he still has 3 years to play 2 and stands to lose the most minutes with Jok coming on board.

I would not completely rule out an Oglesby transfer, he still has 3 years to play 2 and stands to lose the most minutes with Jok coming on board.
I 100% agree sscelley!! Ive been thinking this for awhile but everyone on here has taken me to the cleaners over it. I just feel something has to give. With the season Oglesby had, I feel he's the last man out.

Oglesby aint goin anywhere.

And we all better hope and pray he doesnt, because if he were to transfer you know the team he ends up on would somehow meet up with Iowa in an important game and Oglesby would go off from 3 point land against the Hawks.

I sill stand by my statement that he aint goin anywhere.

Are you sure about that? Honest question. I thought he lost a year if he transfers to a D-I school.

GO HAWKS!!!