Redshirt Clemmons and Olaseni.

Are you sure about that? Honest question. I thought he lost a year if he transfers to a D-I school.

GO HAWKS!!!

He never used his redshirt, so he could transfer to say a UNI sit out a year without losing a year of eligibility. Uthoff lost a year because he already used his redshirt at Wisconsin.

I think this would be healthy for the future. Think about it. Its obvious marble needs to play point next year as much as possible. When he is not Gesell can be playing the point. It would be worth it to have a veteran in Clemmons for a year after Gesell is done. Even Ingram could play the point for a little bit if needed here and there. I dont think Ingram will ever have a major role so redshirt for him would be a waste. If we sign Ulis he will also need time to beef up to run the point. Clemmons then could have a monster senior season being the main man.

Regarding Olaseni redshirt. I think there is a chance woody could leave after his junior year. Having a veteran in Gabe would be great if that were to happen. He is also still pretty raw and needs as much time as possible. This would help our logjam of Mccabe, Basabe, Woody, White, and Uthoff and even Meyer. IMO Basabe brings more then Gabe so it isnt worth cutting his minutes for Gabe.

What do you guys think?

Yes I know maybe I should call up Fran.

I hope that Woodbury improves enough for that to even be a possibility.
IMO, he will be a 4 year player for Iowa.

And we all better hope and pray he doesnt, because if he were to transfer you know the team he ends up on would somehow meet up with Iowa in an important game and Oglesby would go off from 3 point land against the Hawks.

Haha, I thought the EXACT same thing.

Oglesby aint goin anywhere.

And we all better hope and pray he doesnt, because if he were to transfer you know the team he ends up on would somehow meet up with Iowa in an important game and Oglesby would go off from 3 point land against the Hawks.

I sill stand by my statement that he aint goin anywhere.

I stayed on the Oglesby bandwagon for a long time thinking that he would break out of his season long slump he was in, if after 37 games he has not broken out of it he never will as a Hawk. I highly doubt Fran uses a 13 man rotation next season so a couple of players will either transfer or redshirt, something has to give. Uthoff will probably earn most of Mays minutes and might even steal a couple from White, Meyer will probably mix in with Olaseni and Woodbury for minutes, but Jok is the wild card. If he is as good as everyone thinks/says he is and can knock down the perimeter shot then Oglesby is going to be the odd man out. I still have no clue what Fran does with Ingram, he just does not seem to fit in anywhere.

I dont think Meyer gets many meaningful minutes, if any at all. Same with Ingram.

No clue on how the minutes will be divided up in the back court. That is a cluster.

I didn't read the original post or a single post in this thread...Red shirt Clemmons and Olaseni was enough. Absolutely, positively, 100% No Way!

Last edited:
I agree, but here's who I think WON'T transfer:
  • RDM, Basabe, McCabe - Seniors-to-be and aren't going anywhere. If they do, they lose their last year of eligibility, unless they go to a D-II/III school and I don't see that happening.
  • GO, JO, AWhite - Jrs-to-be. AW is a starter and won't leave. GO is starting to come around and probably knows he's going to be a significant part of the rotation. JO is an Iowa lad and probably won't even think about transfering.
  • AWood, MG, Uthoff - Sophs-to-be. Two starters and a transfer. Not going anywhere.
  • Jok - Frosh-to-be. Won't leave the program, but I believe the safe thing to do is redshirt him for reasons I've already mentioned.
That's 10 players, 9 of whom have good chance to see significant playing time next year.

That leaves Meyer, Ingram, and Clemmons:
  • Clemmons MAY transfer if he believes he's good enough to start elsewhere. But I don't see it. He probably will get significant playing time after next year, so I don't see him going anywhere.
  • Meyer is just coming off of a redshirt year. He MIGHT pull a Uthoff, but I haven't heard any grumblings to suggest that he will. This year was probably a good thing for him, so I don't see him leaving either.
  • Ingram is the wild card. He came in late, was out of shape, and didn't play much. To be honest, I think he should have redshirted this year to get acclimated to college life and the college game. He should probably redshirt next year. If not, he's wasted two years mostly riding the pine.

I just don't see 13 guys playing this year. So if I had to guess, I'd say 2 guys either redshirt or transfer.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

While I don't disagree with most of what you said, the 3 soon to be seniors would not lose their last year of eligibility if they were to transfer. Yes they would have to sit a year at any other D1 school, but none have used their redshirt yet so they would still have 1 year to play after they sit. I also don't see Jok redshirting next year, but that's an entirely different conversation.

While I don't disagree with most of what you said, the 3 soon to be seniors would not lose their last year of eligibility if they were to transfer. Yes they would have to sit a year at any other D1 school, but none have used their redshirt yet so they would still have 1 year to play after they sit. I also don't see Jok redshirting next year, but that's an entirely different conversation.
Yup .. I was corrected in another post. I just didn't edit the post. I have now. Thanx!! :)

GO HAWKS!!!

it would probley be good for Olaseni. But I cant see it happing with the way he has come on. If he can hep I think Fran will play him.

First off- none of them will be redshirting.
2nd off- Olaseni should redshirt, his game is not ready for big ten level right now. he looks very lost at times.
3rd off- Clemmons has shown at times in the nit tourney he's ready for a huge step up next year, redshirting would be detrimental to his growth.
Letter D- clemmons, giselle, and marble all play the 1 and 2. Giselle is obviously a natural point. Clemmons has played the two at times this year, and him and marble are both good at playing either. time for the three of them is something fran is pretty good at.

I would not rule out a couple of transfers after this season either. I don't think we will see a 13 man rotation so something has to give.

Here's a stab at the minutes.

Marble = 30
White = 25
Gesell = 25
Woodbury = 20
Basabe = 20

Olaseni = 17
Uthoff = 17
McCabe = 15
Clemmons = 15
Jok = 8
Oglesby = 8
Meyer = 0 (has to wait his turn...after Basabe and McCabe leave his RS sophomore year)

Ingram - Red shirt

Minutes will float around depending on foul trouble, who's hot, injuries, etc. I know everyone is going to pick a player and say this guy will get more or another player will get less. I'm just giving an example of how it could break down. Eleven guys are getting meaningful minutes. We are deep. We are pressing. We are running. We are always fresh on defense. That's some scary good depth.

The above scenario has the seniors playing 65 minutes a game...now available to other guys the following year. I see no reason for anyone to transfer unless they think they're in over their heads and need to go mid major.

I think this would be healthy for the future. Think about it. Its obvious marble needs to play point next year as much as possible. When he is not Gesell can be playing the point. It would be worth it to have a veteran in Clemmons for a year after Gesell is done. Even Ingram could play the point for a little bit if needed here and there. I dont think Ingram will ever have a major role so redshirt for him would be a waste. If we sign Ulis he will also need time to beef up to run the point. Clemmons then could have a monster senior season being the main man.

Regarding Olaseni redshirt. I think there is a chance woody could leave after his junior year. Having a veteran in Gabe would be great if that were to happen. He is also still pretty raw and needs as much time as possible. This would help our logjam of Mccabe, Basabe, Woody, White, and Uthoff and even Meyer. IMO Basabe brings more then Gabe so it isnt worth cutting his minutes for Gabe.

What do you guys think?

Unless Woody gets a hand transplant, he ain't going anywhere.

Here's a stab at the minutes.

Marble = 30
White = 25
Gesell = 25
Woodbury = 20
Basabe = 20

Olaseni = 17
Uthoff = 17
McCabe = 15
Clemmons = 15
Jok = 8
Oglesby = 8
Meyer = 0 (has to wait his turn...after Basabe and McCabe leave his RS sophomore year)

Ingram - Red shirt

Minutes will float around depending on foul trouble, who's hot, injuries, etc. I know everyone is going to pick a player and say this guy will get more or another player will get less. I'm just giving an example of how it could break down. Eleven guys are getting meaningful minutes. We are deep. We are pressing. We are running. We are always fresh on defense. That's some scary good depth.

The above scenario has the seniors playing 65 minutes a game...now available to other guys the following year. I see no reason for anyone to transfer unless they think they're in over their heads and need to go mid major.

Question, unless you see Ingram with the potential to be something special why would you redshirt him? In this day and age other than big guys that need time to grow you don't see many redshirts, guys are either ready to play from the start or they are "recruited over". If you redshirt a guy who might be a decent contributor in 2 years you are burning a scholarship for someone else who can contribute immediately. Every program brings in guys who they think can contribute, the question is if you're wrong and they aren't ready quite yet do you lock up a scholly for another year or find another guy who can???

Question, unless you see Ingram with the potential to be something special why would you redshirt him? In this day and age other than big guys that need time to grow you don't see many redshirts, guys are either ready to play from the start or they are "recruited over". If you redshirt a guy who might be a decent contributor in 2 years you are burning a scholarship for someone else who can contribute immediately. Every program brings in guys who they think can contribute, the question is if you're wrong and they aren't ready quite yet do you lock up a scholly for another year or find another guy who can???

Fair Qestion - I don't think we saw enough of Ingram to know if he can be something special. A RS gives Ingram a year in practice to play the 1 on the scout team, etc. and develop. He was recruited as a 2. IF Fran wanted to start Clemmons and Gesell together as juniors he now has a guy with 2 years in the program to come off the bench at the 1...am assuming Oglesby/Jok will back up the 2.

Ingram's role could then increase as a RS junior and he's now ready to run the show as a 5th year senior with 2 years of experience at the 1 when Clemmons and Gesell both leave. This is the kind of depth and forward thinking which prevents down years...a younger player now backs up Ingram and gets experience for the following year, etc. The RS also balances the classes nicely.

Seniors - Basabe - McCabe - Marble
Juniors - Oglesby - White - Olaseni
Sophomores - Uthoff - Gessell - Woodbury - Clemmons
Freshmen - Meyer - Jok - Ingram (in this class after the red shirt year)

Fair Qestion - I don't think we saw enough of Ingram to know if he can be something special. A RS gives Ingram a year in practice to play the 1 on the scout team, etc. and develop. He was recruited as a 2. IF Fran wanted to start Clemmons and Gesell together as juniors he now has a guy with 2 years in the program to come off the bench at the 1...am assuming Oglesby/Jok will back up the 2.

Ingram's role could then increase as a RS junior and he's now ready to run the show as a 5th year senior with 2 years of experience at the 1 when Clemmons and Gesell both leave. This is the kind of depth and forward thinking which prevents down years...a younger player now backs up Ingram and gets experience for the following year, etc. The RS also balances the classes nicely.

Seniors - Basabe - McCabe - Marble
Juniors - Oglesby - White - Olaseni
Sophomores - Uthoff - Gessell - Woodbury - Clemmons
Freshmen - Meyer - Jok - Ingram (in this class after the red shirt year)

One other potential problem...A kid good enough to play right away will likely go elsewhere. It's pretty clear Gesell and Clemmons will be the guys the next 3 years. Can we even get an immediate contributor knowing they won't play much until those 2 are gone? Keep in mind we also have Jok and Oglesby.

One other potential problem...A kid good enough to play right away will likely go elsewhere. It's pretty clear Gesell and Clemmons will be the guys the next 3 years. Can we even get an immediate contributor knowing they won't play much until those 2 are gone? Keep in mind we also have Jok and Oglesby.

Agree we haven't seen a lot of him, I just don't see Ingram ever playing the 1 (FM's biggest deal was that he had to tighten his handles to play the 2). I guess I'd rather go out and get a guy like Ulis in the '14 class who is a true 1 that can spend a year developing while MG/AC are seniors. I'm banking on Fran being able to bring in talent that is ready to contribute (not saying start) right away. I guess we'll see, I think the '14 class will be a key indicator as it's not built around in state kids.

What do you guys think?

I think you're a d!ck.

Heh. Hehheh.

Beavis_and_Butthead_by_simpsonsguy14.jpg

Agree we haven't seen a lot of him, I just don't see Ingram ever playing the 1 (FM's biggest deal was that he had to tighten his handles to play the 2). I guess I'd rather go out and get a guy like Ulis in the '14 class who is a true 1 that can spend a year developing while MG/AC are seniors. I'm banking on Fran being able to bring in talent that is ready to contribute (not saying start) right away. I guess we'll see, I think the '14 class will be a key indicator as it's not built around in state kids.

We aren't short on scholarships. I'm fine with having both Ulis and Ingram on the roster?

We aren't short on scholarships. I'm fine with having both Ulis and Ingram on the roster?

I wasn't at all suggesting that we push Ingram out, we'll leave that for the SEC and Tom Crean. I was just saying I'm not sure I would tie up a scholarship for an extra year to try and make Ingram something he's not (a PG) and would rather recruit a true pg..

Regardless, it's good discussion and actually being able to talk about redshirt options as compared to having to throw 1st year guys into the fire every time because we don't have 8 kids with D1 talent on the roster is a good problem to have!!

Regardless, it's good discussion and actually being able to talk about redshirt options as compared to having to throw 1st year guys into the fire every time because we don't have 8 kids with D1 talent on the roster is a good problem to have!!

Totally agree.

Latest posts