Recruiting News, Notes for Homestretch

Dean,
Love the fight you put up. I just want to add that it's more than common that when guys we have committed, or in on, either commit elsewhere or get offers to said top schools amazingly they get another star added. It's that alone that makes this star crap dumb. Give me rankings after 4-5 years. Otherwise it's all subjective

Last edited:
Look at Nebraska's incoming class. They will get their defense turned around with Diacco there. Look out when they do because they have some talent coming in.
Stocking up on 5'7 receivers inflating the numbers. If you wanna tumble w the big boys you need meat. We will wear them down

Stocking up on 5'7 receivers inflating the numbers. If you wanna tumble w the big boys you need meat. We will wear them down
I thought you were joking about the height, but wow, 3 WR's under 6'. I know speed kills, but they're definitely not catching any jump balls.

It's not going to last long. It's only a matter of time before there recruiting pushes them above.

Truth is, they're starting to turn recruits heads and get them to commit to Lincoln.. while Iowa is struggling pretty badly even getting a recruit that's a mid-lower tier player to even visit.

Maybe, but nebby has out recruited Iowa since 'nam. However, in the last 5-6 years, they haven't been good developing the 2 position groups most important in B1G...O and D line. That could change, but them recruiting better at skill positions is not new, certainly at least not in the last 4 years, in which we are 3-1, and a crazy 17 point comeback win in OT, which still haunts me.

Last edited:
Since they joined the B1G they have beat us in seasonal wins every year but one, including this year. And as far as finishing behind us in conference wins, that has also happened once. 3-3 against them straight up.

But they are mighty Nebraska, a blood blood. They always by far out recruit Iowa, one would think we wouldn't be basically the same in success the last decade.

That said, in all honesty, the Diaco hire makes me nervous. He could change things.

Last edited:
Don't discount the Diaco hire, either. I'm not happy about that, at all. They'll be switching to a 3-4, which we seem to have trouble with.

It was, imo, a home run hire for them, and it both angers me and make me a touch nervous. The guy can recruit, develop, and coach Defense. Ugh, why nebby Bob. Damnit.

I'm not saying things are totally falling apart or anything, but it is odd how many people are acting like there's nothing wrong with Iowa's recruiting.

Oh, it could/should be better. Outside of ClintonIAfan, I don't think anyone would say otherwise, nor have I believe seen that sentiment.

Now, how much better recruiting should realistically be, that's where I think you'd see a difference of opinion. But it absolutely should be better.

They had, by quite a margin imo, the best overall wr Corp in the B1G last year, and one of the best the year before. They clearly can recruit wr.
Agreed. I just don't understand HOW they do it. They've had garbage QB's for the past 8 years now. If Riley finds a good QB, and Diaco the traitor fixes the D, well, lets just say I'm not liking it.

It was, imo, a home run hire for them, and it both angers me and make me a touch nervous. The guy can recruit, develop, and coach Defense. Ugh, why nebby Bob. Damnit.

I'm just not worried about Diaco at Nebby. Riley has another year or two and they will be making a move for Frost at that point. New guys usually like to bring in their own coaches.

Damn man take your Xanax or go root for Alabama. Crap division? No. Crap conference? No. We can't win 4 games out of conference since we only play 3. I don't think anyone is happy or satisfied with 12th place recruiting classes, but I think most are at least trying to find some positives.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say that the B1G West is a "crap" division but its the weakest in the Power 5 along with the ACC Coastal (and they have a sleeping giant in Miami and a far better recruiting base than the B1G West).

Wisconsin is a very good program but like most very good programs they can't consistently beat the elites when the elites aren't down. Even their great defense this year was exposed when they went against a talented offense.

Nebraska hasn't been nationally relevant in nearly 20 years and you can make a strong argument that they aren't even regionally relevant as their only B1G title game appearance ended in blowout at the hands of a team that finished 3rd in their own division and was only there because PSU and OSU weren't allowed.

The rest of the division are mid-level programs on their best day.

This division alignment is only 3 seasons in so KF has time to prove it but a good coach would have his program at the top of these middlings year in and year out. Just to show how easy this division is to win: Minnesota, a program Iowa fans mock regularly, has gone into their final game with a chance to win/tie the B1G West in 2 of the 3 seasons of its existence. If that isn't the definition of a weak division, I don't know what is.

I'm just not worried about Diaco at Nebby. Riley has another year or two and they will be making a move for Frost at that point. New guys usually like to bring in their own coaches.

Diacco will have that defense back to form in no time. Like someone already said.. He can recruit, which is most important, and develop and scheme. He was a home run hire for Nebby.

Latest posts