Recruiting News, Notes for Homestretch

Agreed. I re-read my post and it inadvertently came off sounding somewhat snarky. Wasn't my intention....was just trying to say that I don't think this homestretch will have much in the way of "star power", so it will most likely drag down the avg. But to be right around 3 is a pretty good class....

We still have a chance to close out somewhat strong. If we could land Johnston, Martin and ISM + one of the two RB of Lovett/Bryan that would be a very good finish to a already very strong class. Then I'm not as concerned about the last few we sign. They would probably be a DB and DL + yet another WR maybe?

K Ferentz did end up meeting with Nate Wieland yesterday. Wieland said it went well. KF told him the same thing RM did on Friday - be patient. He officially visits this weekend. The coaches are indicating that the offer might not come until closer to signing day.

Was just able to confirm that Kirk Ferentz conducted his in-home visit with Oliver Martin last night. OM is at the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii this weekend and then has a official scheduled to BYU next weekend.

Was just able to confirm that Kirk Ferentz conducted his in-home visit with Oliver Martin last night. OM is at the Polynesian Bowl in Hawaii this weekend and then has a official scheduled to BYU next weekend.

I understand that Oliver wants to take all his visits....but damn....when the head honcho does an in-home, you'd like to be able to close the deal and get that commitment....

I understand that Oliver wants to take all his visits....but damn....when the head honcho does an in-home, you'd like to be able to close the deal and get that commitment....

The kid has been deliberate with the process since his stock rose in June. No reason to think that would change now.

The kid has been deliberate with the process since his stock rose in June. No reason to think that would change now.

Trust me, I wasn't necessarily expecting it to change, but a guy can certainly hope. Hopefully KF isn't having coffee this morning because coffee's for closers!! :)

I thought it was reported that he wasn't going to the Polynesian Bowl and that the visit to BYU isn't happening either. Maybe I read it wrong but I thought that is what I saw.

I thought it was reported that he wasn't going to the Polynesian Bowl and that the visit to BYU isn't happening either. Maybe I read it wrong but I thought that is what I saw.

It's hard to say because the family doesn't say much.

I just read a 247 report that indicated that you might be right on those two things. The report also said that Jim Mora did an in-home last night and Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer and a Michigan OC Pep Hamilton are due in on Thursday.

I bet KF left with more then a gut feeling of where he was leaning. He had to be putting him as on the spot as he could.

Rob I'd just had a chance to listen to Jon & Deaces latest podcast last night. When Jon broke down the whole Eno deal with him I didn't realize that Eno was shopping his 'story' around to everyone but without naming names. Then of course Scout network took him up on it and here we are. The thing I don't get is why wouldn't Eno name names? KF and the Iowa staff would have known who it had to have been without even knowing the specifics. It's not like 7 coaches on Iowas staff were texting him were there? Just that innuendo did the damage he was trying to avoid. I don't get why those 2 coaches would have done that at all.. They'd been around plenty long enough to know you don't go behind the boss geez... I get Eno was a big fish of a recruit but come on... They should have known.. Along with Eno he too. But the adults obviously need to be held to the higher of standards and I'm glad they were.

We still have a chance to close out somewhat strong. If we could land Johnston, Martin and ISM + one of the two RB of Lovett/Bryan that would be a very good finish to a already very strong class. Then I'm not as concerned about the last few we sign. They would probably be a DB and DL + yet another WR maybe?

I respectfully disagree dean. This is in no way a very strong class. We are freaking 12th in our conference in recruiting rankings. That is a far cry from very strong. We have no one above a 3 star other than Eppy.

If we miss on both Trey Creamer and Raheem Layne, an interesting option would be Jalen Cole from Southern California. I know Iowa never recruits CALI kids, but he goes to the same high school as Ryan Stonehouse (the punter we are looking to offer potentially). They go to Mater Dei high school which is a powerhouse football school both in California and Nationally. Their team is ranked #3 nationally, so the level of competition is high. Not saying this has any chance of actually happening, but could be an interesting story, if Iowa misses on those two other CB prospects who are both committed to Minnesota. Scout has him ranked as the #77 best Cornerback in this class.

http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Cole-77018

http://www.scout.com/player/187678-jalen-cole

It's hard to say because the family doesn't say much.

I just read a 247 report that indicated that you might be right on those two things. The report also said that Jim Mora did an in-home last night and Brian Kelly, Urban Meyer and a Michigan OC Pep Hamilton are due in on Thursday.

Sounds like he might visit Florida now too.

Does anyone know what Oliver wants to Major in or what his life goals are? I guess I don't see why everyone is so upset he hasn't committed yet. He has plans to visit other schools and is doing his due diligence. Put yourself in his situation and you have the opportunity to go to a variety of different places that could make a huge impact on the rest of your life, why not do the research. KF can only do so much especially with a hometown kid, ultimately it is OM's decision where he feels most comfortable not only as an athlete but with the other aspects of his life.

There are kids out there that decide to branch out and not live in one place for their entire youth and young adult age. He knows Iowa City, the history of Iowa football and has been to several games. The kid hasn't even played one down of college football and people are already calling the class a bust if he doesn't come here. If I were him and read some of the comments on these boards I would go somewhere else just to piss everyone off.