Really need to win next two

Well if you're so confident then post the poll. Seems like you have nothing to lose so why not?

Are you this dense on purpose? There are no play in games. That is an indisputable FACT. You can post all the polls you want, it won't change reality. Why don't you post a poll on the color of Iowa's home white jerseys? It will be just as valid.

Another fail on your part. You really need to quit while you are behind....you are embarrassing yourself.

If RPI is still such a huge factor, than Iowa seriously needs to consider ditching those non-conference games against teams that are 300+.

I thought someone posted the other day that if you simply dropped the UMBC & Alcorn State games, and made Iowa 14-10 rather than 16-10, that their RPI would be in the 30's instead. Some 20-25 spots higher. That's insane! Not that I agree with it, but if that's the way things work, then you have to play the game.

Hampton & Longwood also are 300+ as of this morning.

Seriously Fran - you don't have to play murderers row, but getting fat on these cupcakes is killing our RPI.

I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but I believe that if you play a team outside of D1 that it isn't calculated in the RPI formula. I do wish Iowa would up their ooc with teams projected to do well in the respective conferences. No guarantee they will be great, but who knows. The SEC was able to drastically up their conference RPI with some consultant. Need the B1G to do similar if they don't already; some of those SEC teams are junk, but have good RPI.

I'm not sure if this is still a thing, but I believe that if you play a team outside of D1 that it isn't calculated in the RPI formula. I do wish Iowa would up their ooc with teams projected to do well in the respective conferences. No guarantee they will be great, but who knows. The SEC was able to drastically up their conference RPI with some consultant. Need the B1G to do similar if they don't already; some of those SEC teams are junk, but have good RPI.

Yeah, not sure if the "outside of D1" thing is still used. I know a couple of years ago mid-majors were using it to "game" the system. They would play some DII, etc. teams, and schedule a bunch of teams that were not good, but were still within the top 200 (or whatever). They would have ridiculously high RPI's even though they played almost nobody.

We could just start this "we really need to win the next 2" thread all over again for this week.

Obviously, Iowa is going to be a bubble team the rest of the season.

I would take the First Round in the NCAA right now (some ignorant Iowa State trolls on this board call it the "play in" game; every game is a play in game until the final game is finished)

A team making the First Round of the NCAA tournament can make the Sweet 16, or the Elite 8, or even the Final Four. You are in the tournament! Is it a low seed? Of course it is....but you are in the tournament!

I'm sure every member of the Iowa team, and Fran, would take it right now....

I would take the First Round in the NCAA right now (some ignorant Iowa State trolls on this board call it the "play in" game; every game is a play in game until the final game is finished)

A team making the First Round of the NCAA tournament can make the Sweet 16, or the Elite 8, or even the Final Four. You are in the tournament! Is it a low seed? Of course it is....but you are in the tournament!

Actually Iowa was never assigned a seed in the tournament last year. Seeds were given to the winners of the first round. Yes the Hawks did make the tournament last year but playing in that first round does take some sparkle away. I'm hoping Iowa is one of the 60 teams that gets a first round bye.

Last edited:
Actually Iowa was never assigned a seed in the tournament last year. Seeds were given to the winners of the first round. Yes the Hawks did make the tournament last year but playing in that first round does take some sparkle away. I'm hoping Iowa is one of the 60 teams that gets a first round bye.

Link to the bracket:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

The first four games are shown at the bottom, and it shows IA/TN as 11 vs. 11. Not sure if that's "official", but they do appear to have had seeds.

Mostly it was ignoring the RPI as a major selection factor, denying that last 10 could be used against Iowa in selection. Claiming that the team was firmly in as they continued to bomb down the stretch (just like this year) and then barely scraping through to the PLAY-IN GAME, which is not making the tournament. Then from there it was mostly talk about VCU and other teams that have gone on from the play in game to actually make the tournament and actually make runs and how Iowa would imitate that. Then they lost again; didn't get to play in the actual tournament; and generally failed in hilarious fashion after being in the Top 10 at one point. The similarities to what Windsor is trying to convince people of right now is really similar to last year. He thinks Iowa is solidly in, everything is pointing to that not being the case at all. Check out today's ESPN Bubble Watch if you need a reality check.

Please quit saying this. You are only showing us your ignorance and/or hate.

Look at any site. All of them say Iowa, Tennessee, NC State, Xavier, Albany, Mt. St. Mary's, Cal Poly and Texas Southern (all 8 of the teams in the First Four games) made the tournament last year. If the NCAA says 68 teams qualify for the tournament, then all 68 teams qualify for the tournament.... not 67, not 66, but 68.

Was I happy they got a First Four game? No. Not at all. Did they make the tournament? Yes. Absolutely.

You mean the MLB wild card game? Similar to the NFL's wild card round. Like I said, I laugh any time I hear any Lions fans claiming they made the playoffs this year. They made the wild card round, not the playoffs.

So a wild card team has absolutely zero chance of winning the Super Bowl? Realistically, yes; but in theory they can win the Super Bowl. By your own admission here, the Packers should return their 2010 Super Bowl Championship because they started as a wild card team. In fact, there have been six teams in NFL history who started as a wild card team and won the Super Bowl. (1980 Raiders, 1997 Broncos, 2000 Ravens, 2005 Steelers, 2007 Giants and 2010 Packers) I guess, according to you, they should all return the trophies and rings.

If RPI is still such a huge factor, than Iowa seriously needs to consider ditching those non-conference games against teams that are 300+.

I thought someone posted the other day that if you simply dropped the UMBC & Alcorn State games, and made Iowa 14-10 rather than 16-10, that their RPI would be in the 30's instead. Some 20-25 spots higher. That's insane! Not that I agree with it, but if that's the way things work, then you have to play the game.

Hampton & Longwood also are 300+ as of this morning.

Seriously Fran - you don't have to play murderers row, but getting fat on these cupcakes is killing our RPI.

LOL. Like the basketball coach schedules the games.

Link to the bracket:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

The first four games are shown at the bottom, and it shows IA/TN as 11 vs. 11. Not sure if that's "official", but they do appear to have had seeds.

I'm not going to go as far as saying the Hawks didn't make the tourney. They were involved. but I'm also not going to say two different teams held the same seed. Iowa played Tennessee for the right to be the 11 seed. Tennessee won and moved on as an 11 seed.

It's getting extra bubbly now:

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html

You have to scroll down a ways.

What I don't get about RPI is that tOSU is higher than Iowa. Iowa has a SOS of 30, compared to tOSU's 82. OOC SOS is very much in Iowa's favor. tOSU is 19-8, Iowa is 17-10. The difference is two more non-conference losses for Iowa. Plus, head-to-head we've beaten them twice. And yet Iowa's RPI is 56 and tOSU's is 42. I just don't get that.

RPI = (WP * 0.25) + (OWP * 0.50) + (OOWP * 0.25)
where WP is Winning Percentage, OWP is Opponents' Winning Percentage and OOWP is Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage.

Mostly it was ignoring the RPI as a major selection factor, denying that last 10 could be used against Iowa in selection. Claiming that the team was firmly in as they continued to bomb down the stretch (just like this year) and then barely scraping through to the PLAY-IN GAME, which is not making the tournament. Then from there it was mostly talk about VCU and other teams that have gone on from the play in game to actually make the tournament and actually make runs and how Iowa would imitate that. Then they lost again; didn't get to play in the actual tournament; and generally failed in hilarious fashion after being in the Top 10 at one point. The similarities to what Windsor is trying to convince people of right now is really similar to last year. He thinks Iowa is solidly in, everything is pointing to that not being the case at all. Check out today's ESPN Bubble Watch if you need a reality check.

The last 10 games has nothing to do with the selection process. Iowa has always been soldily in the tournament the whole time....They improved their seeding per Jerry Palm from a 10 to an 8 over the last week. Quit babbling about something you know nothing about. The ESPN bubble watch has several teams on the bubble that are pretty much locks to get in...I can't decide if you really are that clueless or just a terrible bottom feeding troll.

I'm not going to go as far as saying the Hawks didn't make the tourney. They were involved. but I'm also not going to say two different teams held the same seed. Iowa played Tennessee for the right to be the 11 seed. Tennessee won and moved on as an 11 seed.

The First Round is the lowest seeding you can get and still be in the tournament. That is what I was trying to say. If they had won the First Round game, they would have been a number 11 seed in the second round, playing the number 6 seed.

I don't want them in the First Round either, but I'm sure they would take it over not being in the tournament.

Tennessee last year, I believe, made it to the Sweet 16 after beating Iowa in overtime. That could have been Iowa!

There is nothing round with the First Round. 68 teams make the tourney; about 300 teams in Division One do not

Didn't Tennessee, our opponent in the First Four, do just that? Make the Sweet 16?

The First Round is the lowest seeding you can get and still be in the tournament. That is what I was trying to say. If they had won the First Round game, they would have been a number 11 seed in the second round, playing the number 6 seed.

I don't want them in the First Round either, but I'm sure they would take it over not being in the tournament.

Tennessee last year, I believe, made it to the Sweet 16 after beating Iowa in overtime. That could have been Iowa!

There is nothing round with the First Round. 68 teams make the tourney; about 300 teams in Division One do not

VCU made the final 4 after they won their opening round game. I guess they will have to take the banner down from the raptors to appease clichetroll.

Latest posts