Real question for Rob Howe

We tied NW for last place in the 93/94 season with a B1G record of 5-13. Before that you'll have to go back to the 38/39 season with a B1G record of 3-9.

That was the start of the "get rid of Tom Davis" movement. That may be his only underachieving team and it haunted him with fans calling for his head no matter how good the team did.

Sorry. Just saw this.

The short answer is that I'm not sure how long is the leash.

Here are some things to keep in mind:

-Gary Barta hired Fran so that automatically gives him more leash. Barta firing Fran means that he is admitting he hired the wrong guy, or, at least, the guy that can't take the program to the desired level. Barta also already fired a mistake in Lickliter, which resulted in a buyout.

-As bad as things look now, the season is not over. We have to see how it plays out. You can't evaluate a season before it's completed. The season can't be saved but at least this group can show some promise and gain some momentum heading into next year.

-I absolutely think Fran is back for at least next year. He has time to fix things. Perhaps guys transfer, opening up the opportunity to address the backcourt deficiencies.

-I don't see Fran's seat being hot right now. If he misses the NCAA Tournament next year, then it will be. That would be a three-year drought.

It's a difficult task for a football or men's basketball coach to maintain the favor of Hawkeye fans.
This is such a bullshit hot take. Or you're a shit fan that just rolls over and presents because that's what being a fan means to you.

I don't want Barta making any more hires. Barta's expectations are too low in my opinion. I'd rather an AD that swings an misses than another "po-boy we just need to be nice and gradutate players" hire.

The Hawkeyes will flounder as long as there’s an AD in place who doesn’t know anything about sports and coaching. Look at Eichorst. A lawyer who didn’t know football (because that’s the only thing Nebraska has on a national scale) from his ass and you can see what he did to the program.

Then look at what Barry Alvarez did. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that until Iowa gets rid of KF’s court jester/errand runner, and hires someone who will clean house and demand results, we’re going to be sitting in dirty diapers like we do now.

Unfortunately Baby Rentz is going to be the “next coach in” and my kid will be watching the same shit sammich in Kinnick when I’m in the nursing home.

The Hawkeyes will flounder as long as there’s an AD in place who doesn’t know anything about sports and coaching. Look at Eichorst. A lawyer who didn’t know football (because that’s the only thing Nebraska has on a national scale) from his ass and you can see what he did to the program.

Then look at what Barry Alvarez did. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that until Iowa gets rid of KF’s court jester/errand runner, and hires someone who will clean house and demand results, we’re going to be sitting in dirty diapers like we do now.

Unfortunately Baby Rentz is going to be the “next coach in” and my kid will be watching the same shit sammich in Kinnick when I’m in the nursing home.

Have you taken this up with Iowa's president and board of directors? You're not wrong, but they're the ones that hired Barta to manage the entire athletic department. Its not like KF hired Barta or keeps him employed. My guess is since Iowa didn't fire Barta after the Griesbaum thing they're most happy with Barta's performance....and they're the only ones who's opinion actually matters. Not mine, not yours.

The Alvarez/Wisconsin thing has been interesting to me. He obviously only cares about football. However, he did hire Bielema who then bolted for Arkansas, and then he hired Gary Anderson who proceeded to bolt for Oregon State. So does Alvarez really "clean house and demand results"? He hasn't fired anyone yet, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Instead they've all left Alvarez for what they viewed as better situations.

I like it when people cut to the chase so I am laughing at and agreeing with both CJHawkeye and Fryowa. Good to see a little fire in some fans belly. Barta shouldn’t be the AD anywhere. I would be ok with him being hired to maintain a position as a facility director since he is good at fund raising for new sports facilities. I really think the problem at Iowa goes much deeper than Barta. It appears a bunch of sports turds opps I mean sports nerds are pulling the strings. The BTN is partly to blame by giving sixty million dollars a year to each school thus taking off some of the pressure to win at a high enough level to raise funds.

Have you taken this up with Iowa's president and board of directors? You're not wrong, but they're the ones that hired Barta to manage the entire athletic department. Its not like KF hired Barta or keeps him employed. My guess is since Iowa didn't fire Barta after the Griesbaum thing they're most happy with Barta's performance....and they're the only ones who's opinion actually matters. Not mine, not yours.

The Alvarez/Wisconsin thing has been interesting to me. He obviously only cares about football. However, he did hire Bielema who then bolted for Arkansas, and then he hired Gary Anderson who proceeded to bolt for Oregon State. So does Alvarez really "clean house and demand results"? He hasn't fired anyone yet, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Instead they've all left Alvarez for what they viewed as better situations.

You posted right before I did and I see we both agree that this goes deeper than just Barta.

Sorry. Just saw this.

-Gary Barta hired Fran so that automatically gives him more leash. Barta firing Fran means that he is admitting he hired the wrong guy, or, at least, the guy that can't take the program to the desired level. Barta also already fired a mistake in Lickliter, which resulted in a buyout.

-As bad as things look now, the season is not over. We have to see how it plays out. You can't evaluate a season before it's completed. The season can't be saved but at least this group can show some promise and gain some momentum heading into next year.

-I absolutely think Fran is back for at least next year. He has time to fix things. Perhaps guys transfer, opening up the opportunity to address the backcourt deficiencies.

-I don't see Fran's seat being hot right now. If he misses the NCAA Tournament next year, then it will be. That would be a three-year drought.

I agree on waiting before passing judgement, but let’s play the if game for a minute. If Fran goes winless in the conference wouldn’t that change the complexion quite a bit? I don’t think that will happen however I reserve the right to change my mind if we lose to Illinois.

You posted right before I did and I see we both agree that this goes deeper than just Barta.

Yeah I just think that the Iowa president and board is completely fine with the results they're getting. Wisconsin wanted an AD who was football first and foremost. Iowa wanted an AD who would treat athletics like a business and keep athletics profitable.

Both schools got exactly what they hired.

Sorry. Just saw this.

Fran has to go after a grad transfer PG this offseason. He simply can't go into next season with things the way they are right now and no PG coming in. If he does then I don't see what optimism anyone is supposed to have and his seat needs to get red hot. That Cowan kid from Maryland last night showed me everything Iowa is missing from the PG spot.

I still believe in Fran for the most part, but his sideline meltdowns are a lot more tolerable when his teams are actually good

I wasn't referencing Alvarez cleaning house at Wisconsin. Whoever would be the next AD at Iowa would need to though, in my opinion.

Regarding demanding results, I have a hard time believing that Alvarez doesn't set expectations for his coaches that they either meet within a reasonable period of time, or they're out. And so far they've met more expectations that any one even dreams of at Iowa with similar resources, and the lowest recruiting budget in the B1G of all the schools that report (NW doesn't).

I wasn't referencing Alvarez cleaning house at Wisconsin. Whoever would be the next AD at Iowa would need to though, in my opinion.

Regarding demanding results, I have a hard time believing that Alvarez doesn't set expectations for his coaches that they either meet within a reasonable period of time, or they're out. And so far they've met more expectations that any one even dreams of at Iowa with similar resources, and the lowest recruiting budget in the B1G of all the schools that report (NW doesn't).

Yeah my guess is Alvarez might be a little too close to the football program and Bielema/Anderson didn't like it. Wisconsin will struggle eventually...This stuff is all cyclical. Then we'll see what kind of AD Alvarez really is. For now though, he looks like a genius with what the bball and football teams have done recently.

I still believe in Fran for the most part, but his sideline meltdowns are a lot more tolerable when his teams are actually good
I'd hate to see Fran leave even if the Hawks didn't win a game next year.

He has more passion for the game and his team in his pinky than KF has in his entire body. Watching Fran's presser about cheating after Paterno got busted also shows you he has tremendous respect for rules and fair competition, and that he's got way more integrity than most people let alone coaches. I honestly believe if the guy could recruit (whether it's situations out of his control or not), he'd be capable of taking a basketball team a long ways.

But, I think he's gone if it doesn't turn around next year. I'll always root for the guy which is the opposite of what I can say for Alfraud and Slickliter.

I'd hate to see Fran leave even if the Hawks didn't win a game next year.

He has more passion for the game and his team in his pinky than KF has in his entire body. Watching Fran's presser about cheating after Paterno got busted also shows you he has tremendous respect for rules and fair competition, and that he's got way more integrity than most people let alone coaches. I honestly believe if the guy could recruit (whether it's situations out of his control or not), he'd be capable of taking a basketball team a long ways.

But, I think he's gone if it doesn't turn around next year. I'll always root for the guy which is the opposite of what I can say for Alfraud and Slickliter.

I agree completely. I love me some Fran but this year has been trying to say the least. I had to force myself to watch the games vs maryland and Ohio State...something I haven't felt since the Lickliter days. I'm guarded and expect them to lose every game they play. It must be what Cleveland Browns fans feel like.

I still think Fran gets 2 more years after this one, regardless of the results. There are way too many signs pointing to it. His contract lasts 2 more years and Cook/Bohannon/Moss/Kriener/Dailey/Pemsl have 2 more years of eligibility. Plus it gives Fran at least one year to coach both of his sons. It makes the most sense

Sorry. Just saw this.

Thank you for weighing in. Of course Barta is a methodical and conservative man. I believe your response is probably the mindset it which he will proceed.

The only part that seems rubbish to me is Barta should not have to admit failure by letting go of Fran. His job at the time he hired Fran was to find someone to rebuild the program. That goal was accomplished. How could Barta have known that a man capable to build a program up would not be able to sustain success? His only point of failure now will be letting the Fran era get too out of control and make it another rebuild project.

I say move at season's end. Hire Crean. A man with an axe to grind and a motivation to prove himself. Creen is also a fantastic developer of guards. His work with Olidepo, Yogi Ferall and Jordan Hulls is testament enough. Not to mention his work with D Wade. We have the depth and talent right now to withstand Crean's curse of several season ending injuries each year. Crean could be successful immediately and take fire to the recruiting trail for 2020. All he has to do is keep Wieskamp which I believe is a program commit. Not someone attached unequivocally to Fran.

Everyone should take a moment to ponder how far Crean could take this team right now. He made an Elite 8 with arguably similar talent.

Last edited:
Thank you for weighing in. Of course Barta is a methodical and conservative man. I believe your response is probably the mindset it which he will proceed.

The only part that seems rubbish to me is Barta should not have to admit failure by letting go of Fran. His job at the time he hired Fran was to find someone to rebuild the program. That goal was accomplished. How could Barta have known that a man capable to build a program up would not be able to sustain success? His only point of failure now will be letting the Fran era get too out of control and make it another rebuild project.

I say move at season's end. Hire Creen. A man with an axe to grind and a motivation to prove himself. Creen is also a fantastic developer of guards. His work with Olidepo, Yogi Ferall and Jordan Hulls is testament enough. Not to mention his work with D Wade. We have the depth and talent right now to withstand Creen's curse of several season ending injuries each year. Creen could be successful immediately and take fire to the recruiting trail for 2020. All he has to do is keep Wieskamp which I believe is a program commit. Not someone attached unequivocally to Fran.

Everyone should take a moment to ponder how far Creen could take this team right now. He made an Elite 8 with arguably similar talent.

Crean is certainly an....interesting name to throw out there. He did build Marquette from the ground up and rebuilt Indiana. He also goes out of his way to maintain great relationships with the fan base and school. He would certainly do everything in his power to make Carver an electric atmosphere.

His negatives though.... After rebuilding Indiana he went on a roller coaster ride of players departing, players getting arrested, etc. He won the Big ten, then had 2 bad years, then won the Big Ten again and then finished 10th the following year. He had a very inconsistent run at Indiana....to put it mildly.

I'm also not sure he'd ever consider Iowa a destination as opposed to a stepping stone to another blue blood

Also, he needs a better tailor. His suits are like 3 sizes too big.

Crean is certainly an....interesting name to throw out there. He did build Marquette from the ground up and rebuilt Indiana. He also goes out of his way to maintain great relationships with the fan base and school. He would certainly do everything in his power to make Carver an electric atmosphere.

His negatives though.... After rebuilding Indiana he went on a roller coaster ride of players departing, players getting arrested, etc. He won the Big ten, then had 2 bad years, then won the Big Ten again and then finished 10th the following year. He had a very inconsistent run at Indiana....to put it mildly.

I'm also not sure he'd ever consider Iowa a destination as opposed to a stepping stone to another blue blood

Also, he needs a better tailor. His suits are like 3 sizes too big.

Lol it would be better if he used us as a stepping stone. It's not like we really want him forever. We just need him to come in and win big right away and get us some rep that we can bankroll into getting a Coach that can maintain the success for longevity.

This morning the question if he has lost this team came to me. They seem to be just going thru the motion on the court with little passion. Who is the team leader of this team anyway. Someone needs to really step up and be a vocal leader.
That is a great point. When they huddle up before free throws or there is some down time during the game they just seem to stand around staring into space like they are stunned. Some player needs to take the reigns. Not saying it would equate into a bunch of wins but even average teams usually have leaders and some sort of identity.

Lol it would be better if he used us as a stepping stone. It's not like we really want him forever. We just need him to come in and win big right away and get us some rep that we can bankroll into getting a Coach that can maintain the success for longevity.

Its a good point. We use him, he uses us. Sounds like a win/win.

I'm extremely confident Fran won't get fired this year, and I would assume Crean takes a job this offseason. So its not very likely to happen. I like where your heads at though.

Latest posts