Real question for Rob Howe

Have you taken this up with Iowa's president and board of directors? You're not wrong, but they're the ones that hired Barta to manage the entire athletic department. Its not like KF hired Barta or keeps him employed. My guess is since Iowa didn't fire Barta after the Griesbaum thing they're most happy with Barta's performance....and they're the only ones who's opinion actually matters. Not mine, not yours.

The Alvarez/Wisconsin thing has been interesting to me. He obviously only cares about football. However, he did hire Bielema who then bolted for Arkansas, and then he hired Gary Anderson who proceeded to bolt for Oregon State. So does Alvarez really "clean house and demand results"? He hasn't fired anyone yet, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Instead they've all left Alvarez for what they viewed as better situations.

<<Instead they've all left Alvarez for what they viewed as better situations>>

Which makes the last ten or so years there all the more amazing. Especially amazing is how, from Bielema to Andersen to Chryst, there seems to be minimal disruption to their success.

Have you taken this up with Iowa's president and board of directors? You're not wrong, but they're the ones that hired Barta to manage the entire athletic department. Its not like KF hired Barta or keeps him employed. My guess is since Iowa didn't fire Barta after the Griesbaum thing they're most happy with Barta's performance....and they're the only ones who's opinion actually matters. Not mine, not yours.

The Alvarez/Wisconsin thing has been interesting to me. He obviously only cares about football. However, he did hire Bielema who then bolted for Arkansas, and then he hired Gary Anderson who proceeded to bolt for Oregon State. So does Alvarez really "clean house and demand results"? He hasn't fired anyone yet, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Instead they've all left Alvarez for what they viewed as better situations.
I have. It didn't even get me a response.

Just my two cents, but if you can't pick out the leader on a team there's a good chance there isn't one. We may have all followers with no leadership.

<<Instead they've all left Alvarez for what they viewed as better situations>>

Which makes the last ten or so years there all the more amazing. Especially amazing is how, from Bielema to Andersen to Chryst, there seems to be minimal disruption to their success.

Its true. I think primarily its because no coach has tried to change too much. They've all stuck with power running. Chryst is going to a 3-4 defense which is a pretty major shift, but he's been doing it gradually. Seems Alvarez only hires coaches who want to run his brand of football since he knows it works.

Just my two cents, but if you can't pick out the leader on a team there's a good chance there isn't one. We may have all followers with no leadership.

You used to always hear about how Aaron White was a workhorse in the gym. Shooting day and night every day. Then you heard the same thing about Peter Jok. Hours and hours in the gym. I haven't heard any of that from the current roster. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, but doesn't sound like anyone is leading by example at all. We for sure aren't seeing any of that on the court.

The team also doesn't seem to have a vocal leader at all. Say what you want about Woodbury but he was a vocal leader. Aaron White was a high energy leader who demanded the most out of his teammates. Could Garza eventually be that guy? Maybe. Could Cook? He should be already. Could Bohannon? Doesn't seem like he wants that responsibility. Baer is your upper classman who plays the most minutes and he is more of a role player and a disruptor than a leader.

It might sound crazy, but right now I'd take Gabe Olaseni over 90% of this roster. A hustle guy who is willing to work hard to improve and be his best rather than a guy who comes in used to being "the man".

I agree on waiting before passing judgement, but let’s play the if game for a minute. If Fran goes winless in the conference wouldn’t that change the complexion quite a bit? I don’t think that will happen however I reserve the right to change my mind if we lose to Illinois.
What's the cutoff between next year he's on the hot seat and he's GONE? Are you in the "zero conference wins and he's gone this year" camp? Because if yes, then are there a number of wins greater than zero where its the same discussion? 1 conference win? 2?

I agree zero wins is unlikely but if you're telling me 1 conference win saves Fran's job, I'm out. I'm done with Iowa sports until we make a change in the AD office.

At least you can say you tried which is more than 99% of the rest of the disgruntled fan base.
Give me an email address. I'll send one right now. I've said on this forum multiple times... I'm not a donor but I probably spend $5000 a year on Iowa athletics. That doesn't all go to the university, a lot of that is hotel and food and drinks in Iowa City but its usually 20-25 football/basketball tickets a year. I'm out for now. My kids said they don't want to go to another basketball game this year or next (we'll see about next year but we've played like crap in the last two games we went to). I similarly swore off football after the shit sandwich that was 2014 so you all are welcome.

Give me an email address. I'll send one right now. I've said on this forum multiple times... I'm not a donor but I probably spend $5000 a year on Iowa athletics. That doesn't all go to the university, a lot of that is hotel and food and drinks in Iowa City but its usually 20-25 football/basketball tickets a year. I'm out for now. My kids said they don't want to go to another basketball game this year or next (we'll see about next year but we've played like crap in the last two games we went to). I similarly swore off football after the shit sandwich that was 2014 so you all are welcome.

I had season tickets for a couple years, then decided to just buy single game tickets and get better seats a few times a year. Now I just don't go. We seriously lose every tike I step foot in Carver and all I do is feel awkward the whole time because I might be blocking someone's view. It sucks there and really needs to change or we will never be a top 20 program again.

Funny, I also dropped my season tickets after the 2014 season. I still go to around 4 games a year though, but I started going to a lot more away games. Checking out other stadiums is a lot of fun for a change of pace.

Yeah I just think that the Iowa president and board is completely fine with the results they're getting. Wisconsin wanted an AD who was football first and foremost. Iowa wanted an AD who would treat athletics like a business and keep athletics profitable.

Both schools got exactly what they hired.

Unfortunately your statement is likely
What's the cutoff between next year he's on the hot seat and he's GONE? Are you in the "zero conference wins and he's gone this year" camp? Because if yes, then are there a number of wins greater than zero where its the same discussion? 1 conference win? 2?

I agree zero wins is unlikely but if you're telling me 1 conference win saves Fran's job, I'm out. I'm done with Iowa sports until we make a change in the AD office.

Wow that’s a really hard issue to address. I’ll go with five wins gives him another year, and that would depend on if the rest of the team looks like it is improving. Zero wins puts Barta in a very tough spot because there is other things to consider.

For example all the early exits during the BTT’s. It’s crazy to get knocked out every year during the first round. His inability to recruit point guards as the point guard is the captain of the team and key to moving the offense and also defending at the top of the key and out on the perimeter. It’s been killing us as our defense has been getting gutted.

He seems to also lack in the management of time outs. Most successful coaches will call time outs after a run of eight points or close to that. Fran just lets them try to play through it and the next thing you know it’s twelve points or more that have been scored.

His offense seems to look like street ball or YMCA ball. Other teams find great success at moving the ball around and breaking down our offense for easy baskets. Why can’t we do that? All they need to do is double team Cook and that seems to take away the paint from our offense. Maybe after our Freshmen Bigs get more experience they can help solve some of that. I think Garza has showed promise offensively but his defense and presence around the rim has a long ways to go.

Personally I think Rob is right that he will get at least one more year just because that how Barta is. A JC transfer point guard who can play at a B1G level can help like crazy, but that I believe would mean some one leaving the program.

This is such a bullshit hot take. Or you're a shit fan that just rolls over and presents because that's what being a fan means to you.

I don't want Barta making any more hires. Barta's expectations are too low in my opinion. I'd rather an AD that swings an misses than another "po-boy we just need to be nice and gradutate players" hire.

Initially it was meant to be sarcasm. But I can see where people took it the other way.

I'm still not a big fan of changing coaches every 2 or 3 years.

Its a good point. We use him, he uses us. Sounds like a win/win.

I'm extremely confident Fran won't get fired this year, and I would assume Crean takes a job this offseason. So its not very likely to happen. I like where your heads at though.

Yes I know it will not happen, but it is the clearest path to an immediate turn around. If Barta was aggressive towards winning this is the move, but he is to methodical and values character over championships. Now if Fran throws another water bottle we might actually see a move happen.

Has any Big Ten coach ever finished without a win in conference and not been fired? If so, perhaps Iowa can set a record that will never be beaten this season...if you can't win the conference or make the big dance or get to a final four...why not make history?

Bill Foster was 0-18 at Northwestern in '90-91, his fifth season with the program, and came back for two more years.

Bill Carmody was 1-17 in '07-08, his 8th season and a year after going 2-14, and remained in his position five more years.

Bill Foster was 0-18 at Northwestern in '90-91, his fifth season with the program, and came back for two more years.

Bill Carmody was 1-17 in '07-08, his 8th season and a year after going 2-14, and remained in his position five more years.

True. But NW basketball at that time was quite atrocious, and for awhile. From 1984 to 1997 NW averaged 2 Big Ten wins per season. Totally different landscape than Iowa imo. Iowa has averaged 9 Big Ten wins under McCaffery, but this year will be special it seems.

The expectation at Iowa should be and needs to be higher than that of a NW program from the 80/'s and 90's. The explanation of P. Jok missing does not explain what we are seeing imo, no matter how many state it.

Fran has a lot of passion and he got people excited about Iowa basketball again. I'm truly thankful for that. But over the years, I've never been impressed with his in-game coaching and his side line temperament is flat out embarrassing. I think the excitement in the program got us some, I guess you could say "acceptable" results for a few years. But he appears to be on the downward slide. Each year getting worse than the previous. I don't see how next year will be much different. I think he is a good guy with a temper who is an average to below average coach. If that's good enough for some people, I get it. I want more. And yes I understand there is a risk and Lick and Alford and all that. But if you want to be a strong basketball program, you have to take risks.

There is no history of any coach winning 0 to 3 games and ever having a good team after that. The PSU guy had "OK" teams if you count basically .500 and then there is Crean. Other than that, it was really bad or the highway.

That said, I'd be shocked if Iowa doesn't win 4.

You used to always hear about how Aaron White was a workhorse in the gym. Shooting day and night every day. Then you heard the same thing about Peter Jok. Hours and hours in the gym. I haven't heard any of that from the current roster. Doesn't mean it isn't happening, but doesn't sound like anyone is leading by example at all. We for sure aren't seeing any of that on the court.

The team also doesn't seem to have a vocal leader at all. Say what you want about Woodbury but he was a vocal leader. Aaron White was a high energy leader who demanded the most out of his teammates. Could Garza eventually be that guy? Maybe. Could Cook? He should be already. Could Bohannon? Doesn't seem like he wants that responsibility. Baer is your upper classman who plays the most minutes and he is more of a role player and a disruptor than a leader.

It might sound crazy, but right now I'd take Gabe Olaseni over 90% of this roster. A hustle guy who is willing to work hard to improve and be his best rather than a guy who comes in used to being "the man".

Did read M. Dailey works maybe as hard as White and Jok at his game. But then that makes your point even better. Of all the players, it seems that the one player who has upped his game is Dailey.

Latest posts