Real question for Rob Howe

It’s going to have to be Cook.
He has the offense and BA attitude.
Potential for defense. But he’ll have to clean up his handles and stay on the floor.

JBo can’t be because of his defensive limitation and Baer just disappears offensively. Baer could be Cook’s co-pilot.

Chew on this stat for a bit....

In Lich's three awful years at Iowa, there's one thing he never did...ever...

Finish last in the B1G.

In fact, if my research is accurate, which I think it is, Iowa has never finished dead last in Big 10 BB.

We could be looking at 'new ground' come March.

Last edited:

Finish last in the B1G.

In fact, if my research is accurate, which I think it is, Iowa has never finished dead last in Big 10 BB.

Ouch dude. That is insult to injury. You are a major drag. That said I am still confident that we will win a couple games in the B1G.

Finish last in the B1G.

We tied NW for last place in the 93/94 season with a B1G record of 5-13. Before that you'll have to go back to the 38/39 season with a B1G record of 3-9.

Fair enough point for last season, but when combined with this season thus far it feels like last season was the start of the collapse.

i think you're searching, for something there. last season was a good season with so many FR playing. I think a lot of us under estimated Jok's value to the team last season to this. example: with Jok on the court, last season, JBo wasn't getting as much pressure dribbling the ball because defenses were focusing on Jok. now, JBo IS Jok (from a shooting perspective) and teams can now focus on cutting off the head of the snake (pg) who doesn't have pg handles and it forces the ball out of JBo's hands and causes us to spend a lot of shot clock just initiating our offense. Also, i think Pemsl played a lot better last season on both ends. on defense, well, that's mostly want to.

I am unaware of any fan base that would be happy with the performance of our team.

Washington Generals? :)

Washinton-Generals.jpg

It's a difficult task for a football or men's basketball coach to maintain the favor of Hawkeye fans.
I know, right?
We're complaining about defense when all we wanted after Lick was an exciting run-the-floor offense. The differences between this year and the last 5-6 is there's no exciting offense and the defense is just plain bad.

That being said, while Fran pulled the program out of the Lick of Fire to respectability, he hasn't pushed the program into staking ground in March Madness.

If Xavier can earn the tourney 14 of 17 years, then something like that should be doable at Iowa.

We tied NW for last place in the 93/94 season with a B1G record of 5-13. Before that you'll have to go back to the 38/39 season with a B1G record of 3-9.
Tied yes, but sat at the bottom by our lonesome, in the modern era at least, never.

I know, right?
We're complaining about defense when all we wanted after Lick was an exciting run-the-floor offense. The differences between this year and the last 5-6 is there's no exciting offense and the defense is just plain bad.

That being said, while Fran pulled the program out of the Lick of Fire to respectability, he hasn't pushed the program into staking ground in March Madness.

If Xavier can earn the tourney 14 of 17 years, then something like that should be doable at Iowa.

Yes it should. But keep in mind Mr. Davis had Iowa in the NCAA tourney 9 times out of his 13 years at Iowa. 2 sweet sixteens 1 elite eight and the the NIT twice. NIT and a sweet sixteen his last 2 years. Not bad, right?

Iowa fans wanted more. Unreasonable IMHO.

Tied yes, but sat at the bottom by our lonesome, in the modern era at least, never.
I imagine the headline might be something like "Iowa finishes last in the Big Ten for the fourth time in the last 100 years or since the Big Ten conference's existence." Prior to the 1917/18 season, it was the Western Conference.

1993/94: tied with NW for last place
1938/39: sole last place
1930/31: sole last place

Yes it should. But keep in mind Mr. Davis had Iowa in the NCAA tourney 9 times out of his 13 years at Iowa. 2 sweet sixteens 1 elite eight and the the NIT twice. NIT and a sweet sixteen his last 2 years. Not bad, right?

Iowa fans wanted more. Unreasonable IMHO.
1 of 4 years into Sweet 16 or better is a legit level of D1 MBB. Iowa fans wanted to be a blue blood and believed Alford could do it and Lick could do it the Butler way in the Big10.

They were wrong and we see what happens when a fickle fan base/money is wrong.

But the facts are this too: his two 16s and elite 8 were in his first two years and his last year. A decade of six knockouts the first weekend is a long time. But the drought has been longer since he got canned.

I don’t count NITs for any props. That just means you had a winning record.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what the other coaches think about Fran spending more time berating the officials than coaching his fricken team.

I'm thinking guaranteed win for sure if I'm the opposition. Fran needs to get animated in the right way, get on his players if they're doggin it, or constantly out of position, not berating the ref's. I get sick and tired of him sitting there and not doing his job

I'm thinking guaranteed win for sure if I'm the opposition. Fran needs to get animated in the right way, get on his players if they're doggin it, or constantly out of position, not berating the ref's. I get sick and tired of him sitting there and not doing his job

What makes you think he doesn't yell at his players? Fran yells at his players as much as the refs. Personally, I love Fran yelling at the refs. The refs need to be held accountable when they aren't doing their job. I love Frans passion. Go Hawks!

What makes you think he doesn't yell at his players? Fran yells at his players as much as the refs. Personally, I love Fran yelling at the refs. The refs need to be held accountable when they aren't doing their job. I love Frans passion. Go Hawks!

Yeah, I used to love his passion, now it's the same old shtick. I'm afraid he has lost a little of his passion. Iowa can still win games if Fran coaches his team. As far as yelling at the refs, I yell too, nothing new out of any fan

Latest posts