PSU: NCAA poised to drop hammer hard

I wondered if the NCAA would take some wins away from JoePa. I don't think they like the idea of Paterno being the all-time winningest coach in NCAA history.

I don't claim to know what NCAA president Mark Emmert is thinking here, but from what we have heard so far he appears to want to punish Penn State football and the culture surrounding it. If I were in his position the punishment I would hand out would send the message that the game of football should never become so important that the mission and responsibilities of the university as a whole become compromised.

Realistically, what happened at Penn State could have happened elsewhere. Its unfair to say that Penn State is unique in that respect. Obviously I'm not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, but don't you guys think people would have be afraid to report somebody of a crime at Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Texas, or any one of the major programs if they thought the "Legacy" of a famous coach would be harmed. The culture of ascending the game of football to a level of importance greater than itself, is very dangerous and hopefully the punishment that the NCAA announces on Monday addresses this.

I don't claim to know what NCAA president Mark Emmert is thinking here, but from what we have heard so far he appears to want to punish Penn State football and the culture surrounding it. If I were in his position the punishment I would hand out would send the message that the game of football should never become so important that the mission and responsibilities of the university as a whole become compromised.

Realistically, what happened at Penn State could have happened elsewhere. Its unfair to say that Penn State is unique in that respect. Obviously I'm not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, but don't you guys think people would have be afraid to report somebody of a crime at Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Texas, or any one of the major programs if they thought the "Legacy" of a famous coach would be harmed. The culture of ascending the game of football to a level of importance greater than itself, is very dangerous and hopefully the punishment that the NCAA announces on Monday addresses this.

Great post. It gets to the larger question about how long is too long for coaches to stick around and how that can distort fan perspective. I love Ferentz, but I think when his contract ends in 2020 it would be a good time to step aside. 20-25 years at one school is more than plenty for any coach. The guys who have gone beyond that mark at one school end up becoming TOO big-- and even if they're good guys, it just tilts the balance too far towards one person. Bowden's last years at FSU were not good, on or off the field. If you know anything about Gagliardi up at St. John's, you know that situation isn't as bright and shiny as it is depicted.

Imagine what Iowa would be like if Hayden Fry were still here-- we would basically be Hayden U. I love Coach Fry, but it's hard to argue that the 20-year mark wasn't exactly the right time to end his career. And Hayden is three years younger than JoePa-- he started at Iowa 13 years after Paterno took the head job at PSU.

NCAA could fine Penn State as much as $60 million as part of Sandusky sanctions - CBSSports.com

"NCAA will fine Penn State at least $30 million and perhaps as much as $60 million for its involvement in the Jerry Sandusky scandal, industry sources told CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy.

The record fine will go toward an endowment for children's causes, sources said.

To put the fine in perspective, Penn State's athletic department had $116 million in revenue for the 2010-11 school year, the most recent data available according to figures from the U.S. Department of Education's Equity in Athletics."

Better put that fan base on suicide watch...after all this, and no football. I just don't think you can do that. Schollies and post season ban for 5 years is my guess.

If the enablers who post on message boards commited suicide, the world would be a much better place.

Whatever penalties make penn st. struggle to win games and not be competitive in the big ten again for 14 years, will make me happy. I also dont want to see iowa ever lose to this program ever again.

I don't claim to know what NCAA president Mark Emmert is thinking here, but from what we have heard so far he appears to want to punish Penn State football and the culture surrounding it. If I were in his position the punishment I would hand out would send the message that the game of f
ootball should never become so important that the mission and responsibilities of the university as a whole become compromised. Realistically, what happened at Penn State could have happened elsewhere. Its unfair to say that Penn State is unique in that respect. Obviously I'm not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, but don't you guys think people would have be afraid to report somebody of a
crime at Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Texas, or any one of the major programs if they thought the "Legacy" of a famous coach would be harmed. The culture of ascending the game of football to a level of importance greater than itself, is very dangerous and hopefully the punishment that the NCAA announces on Monday
addresses this.

Well said. This needs to send the message home. The same is true of the next post about ferentz and fry.

I'm confident that the message sent by the ncaa does address the masses while pinpointing PSU. The idea of a large penalty with monetary damages also would go along ways towards advocacy for abused and awareness of such is great, because they will be able to implement it. Especially since there will be cival penalties by the victims and the board of education hasn't even stepped up yet.

Either way it comes down, I would say PSU football is going to be put down for enough years for those that don't get it, eventually will.

I don't claim to know what NCAA president Mark Emmert is thinking here, but from what we have heard so far he appears to want to punish Penn State football and the culture surrounding it. If I were in his position the punishment I would hand out would send the message that the game of football should never become so important that the mission and responsibilities of the university as a whole become compromised. Realistically, what happened at Penn State could have happened elsewhere. Its unfair to say that Penn State is unique in that respect. Obviously I'm not accusing anyone of any wrongdoing, but don't you guys think people would have be afraid to report somebody of a crime at Alabama, LSU, Oregon, Texas, or any one of the major programs if they thought the "Legacy" of a famous coach would be harmed. The culture of ascending the game of football to a level of importance greater than itself, is very dangerous and hopefully the punishment that the NCAA announces on Monday addresses this.
Great post...exactly how I feel. NCAA has to make an example out of PSU.

Read in TOS that it kinda sounds like Emmert is breaking new ground, since the NCAA president does not actually have any legal authority to issue punishments like these, and that the PSU wrongdoing may not have actually broken any NCAA rules. PSU may just refuse to accept Emmert's decision, which will make for some pretty interesting viewing.

Whatever penalties make penn st. struggle to win games and not be competitive in the big ten again for 14 years, will make me happy. I also dont want to see iowa ever lose to this program ever again.
Sounds like you want PSU to become another Minnesota or Northwestern. Oh, wait.....

So I wandered over to the Audibles board and it's funny how many of them are already calling for a lawsuit against the NCAA despite the fact no one knows what the penalties are yet. And despite the likelihood that PSU has already agreed to the penalties anyway, otherwise the NCAA would have no reason to announce them without a proper investigation.

Latest posts