PSU: NCAA poised to drop hammer hard

ESPN is reporting they may lose bowl games and scholarships, but no death penalty. That is getting off light IMO

Maybe just loss of scholarships and bowl appearance ban. Better be pretty drastic if that's all they are getting. 5 or more year ban + 15 scholarships should be about right for me. I would like it if it was even harsher.

USC lost 30 scholarships over 3 years for the Reggie Bush fiasco.
If PSU loses 15, that it pathetic. Its basically spitting in the face of the victims.

I'd say at a MINIMUM of 45 scholarships lost for each of the next 3 seasons.
Not 45 total. 45 each season. Roughly half of their 85.
One for each of Sandusky's guilty verdicts.

THAT would be a penalty.

If it is just a couple schollies and no bowls for a couple years then this is a joke. I really hope there is a little more to it than that. I understand the DP is off the table, and I guess I don't know what else they can do, but this seems like it needs more than the Reggie Bush treatment. This wasn't a rogue player, this was an institution covering up a serial kid rapist to protect the FB program. Vent over.

It sounds like they get to keep the program going but the loss of scholarships and bowl games are going to be on a level we haven't ever seen.

One report is even saying the penalties are so much that it may actually be worse than what happened to SMU.

I think the unprecedented part will come to mean that they didn't go through their normal procedure and time before handing down their judgements.

This might mean that Penn State submitted their own punishments and the NCAA agreed, which means a hearing is avoided.

I suspect at least a three year bowl ban and perhaps a loss of 40 scholarships over 4 years. I suspect that all current players will be able to transfer immediately, without sitting out a year. Their recruiting class will evaporate. The program will crater and the Chernobyl effect like Deace and I talked about back in November will begin.

Change the name of the divisions from Legends and Leaders. It was pretentious at the time and is now downright foolish

Lets not forget this isn't about the us, but a punishment for PSU. Who cares if a night game is sacrificed as a result of them getting what they rightfully deserve.

Yes and no. If PSU had to forfeit games now you are punishing other teams and their fans as well. Not that it's probably going to happen but let's pretend the PSU game was cancelled. Do season ticket holders like myself get a one game refund? There's a lot to think about if dealing out a harsh punishment like that.

Let them avoid the death penalty. But hit them with loss of future scholarships and bowl bans as well as forcing the pathetic university to donate every single dollar (not just revenue) generated by the football program to the victims and the victims family and other advocacy groups.

I think the unprecedented part will come to mean that they didn't go through their normal procedure and time before handing down their judgements.

This might mean that Penn State submitted their own punishments and the NCAA agreed, which means a hearing is avoided.

I suspect at least a three year bowl ban and perhaps a loss of 40 scholarships over 4 years. I suspect that all current players will be able to transfer immediately, without sitting out a year. Their recruiting class will evaporate. The program will crater and the Chernobyl effect like Deace and I talked about back in November will begin.

Change the name of the divisions from Legends and Leaders. It was pretentious at the time and is now downright foolish

LOL, Jon
40 scholarships?
10 per season?
That's less than USC got for Reggie Bush.
Couldn't disagree more with your thinking here.

40 a SEASON for 4 years makes sense, not 40 total.
lol

Some dude on Audibles is reporiting:

5 Year Bowl Ban
Reduction of 8-20 schollies per year for 5 years
Limited TV appearance.

My guess is that the B1G will be re-allocating BTN network revenue.

The program is done. This was the correct thing to do. You don't tell them they can't play football, you tell them that they won't be competitive enough again to ever have football matter more than common decency for a long long time.

The B1G is going to HAVE to re-allign the conferences now.

A huge embarrassment for the conference two, to have 33% of one division ineligible for a bowl game this year.

Yes and no. If PSU had to forfeit games now you are punishing other teams and their fans as well. Not that it's probably going to happen but let's pretend the PSU game was cancelled. Do season ticket holders like myself get a one game refund? There's a lot to think about if dealing out a harsh punishment like that.

I'm not talking about the cancellation of the game not necessarily being fair to the programs that would be affected if they were suspended. I was basically commenting more on the comment regarding the loss of our only night game. In my honest opinion though (also as an owner of 4 season tickets) I would be more than willing to "sacrifice" a game if it meant that the NCAA and college football as a whole were going to see to it that things like this never happen again. The sport as a whole has gotten a bit out of control (not comparing what PSU has done to anyother school) and it's time to get things under control at whatever cost necessary.

i actually dont care about scholarship loss or bowl bans as the players had nothing to do with it and the coaches are gone. the players and coaches shouldnt get punished. this is the difference between smu and psu...in one the players were part of the problem. though they will be allowed to transfer without penalty (most likely) psu getting a virtual death penalty will hurt b1g and college football.

i would like at least half the proceeds of ticket sales to go to child abuse charities. i think this should facilitate better progress in self regulating conduct on a moral basis. such as mandatory reporting for colleges (some states force have this some dont). with how much college coaches work with camps with hs and younger players.

i actually dont care about scholarship loss or bowl bans as the players had nothing to do with it and the coaches are gone. the players and coaches shouldnt get punished. this is the difference between smu and psu...in one the players were part of the problem. though they will be allowed to transfer without penalty (most likely) psu getting a virtual death penalty will hurt b1g and college football.

i would like at least half the proceeds of ticket sales to go to child abuse charities. i think this should facilitate better progress in self regulating conduct on a moral basis. such as mandatory reporting for colleges (some states force have this some dont). with how much college coaches work with camps with hs and younger players.

Its an institution thing...... they have to be punished. If it hurts college football so be it.

a 5 year bowl ban means that no player on the roster will have an opportunity to play in a bowl, and next years recruits would have to redshirt a yer and HOPE that they were good enough in year 5 to play in one.

That is a recruiting disaster for them.

USC lost 10 a year for 3 years.

So this should be the same 10 for one additional yr?

Sorry, I disagree as much as humanly possible on this Jon.
30 or 40 a SEASON I can get behind.

You speak that this 10 scholly reduction would hurt PSU.
How did it hurt preseason #1 USC?

LOL

i actually dont care about scholarship loss or bowl bans as the players had nothing to do with it and the coaches are gone. the players and coaches shouldnt get punished. this is the difference between smu and psu...in one the players were part of the problem. though they will be allowed to transfer without penalty (most likely) psu getting a virtual death penalty will hurt b1g and college football.i would like at least half the proceeds of ticket sales to go to child abuse charities. i think this should facilitate better progress in self regulating conduct on a moral basis. such as mandatory reporting for colleges (some states force have this some dont). with how much college coaches work with camps with hs and younger players.
Its an institution thing...... they have to be punished. If it hurts college football so be it.

i understand that it was an institution problem. but who that made that mistake is still there? this should facilitate change...not be a situation of punishing those that had nothing to do with it. losing half their football proceeds (at least) and the bad publicity will punish them. and the money can be used to facilitate help and change. those scholarships lost wont help the problem. a bowl ban wont help the problem. did the smu death penalty stop boosters from paying players? this is a different situation and should be looked at as such. take their money and use it to educate and help and facilitate the change that could prevent this from happening again.

Latest posts