Prime Time League Rosters

If this team continues to progress and players continue to develop as they have since Fran arrived in IC, they will continue to have a chance to be in the field of 64 next season. They've been right there the last 2 seasons for a bid and even with last years collapse, they still made the field. The year before, they just missed and it was obvious after the fact that they did indeed belong. This is Fran's core class and they will be Juniors and we return 7 out of 10 top scorers. The only reason to state something like "no NCAA this season" has to be hangover from puffing your chest out too far last season and being gun shy. I don't expect this team to take any sort of step back... a step sideways and being a bubble team, could be possible, but not a step backwards... they will be right there for a bid in February

Rather than puffing our chests out, I think it was a case of unrealistic expectations from the experts at ESPN and others, labeling us a Final Four team. Too much publicity to overcome and too much ammunition for our opponents......

I have a gut feeling that we will have learned from the collapse, and regain our chemistry, teamwork and solid D to make it a very interesting season.....

:rolleyes:

If this team continues to progress and players continue to develop as they have since Fran arrived in IC, they will continue to have a chance to be in the field of 64 next season. They've been right there the last 2 seasons for a bid and even with last years collapse, they still made the field. The year before, they just missed and it was obvious after the fact that they did indeed belong. This is Fran's core class and they will be Juniors and we return 7 out of 10 top scorers. The only reason to state something like "no NCAA this season" has to be hangover from puffing your chest out too far last season and being gun shy. I don't expect this team to take any sort of step back... a step sideways and being a bubble team, could be possible, but not a step backwards... they will be right there for a bid in February
The returning 7 of 10 top scorers doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Towards the end of the season, opposing coaches clearly figured out the Iowa offense, and we couldn't adapt. You can blame it on McCabe's girlfriend, or Basabe's mystery illness, but the fact of the matter is that when Iowa was forced into a half court game, they couldn't score regularly. 5 minute scoring droughts were the norm in the last 10 games.

In order to be a tournament team, I feel three things have to happen; Jok has to develop into a legit double digit scoring threat, Olesani or Woodbury need to develop a reliable back to the basket game, and Gesell or Dickerson have to be able to break down opposing guards in the half court offense.

I have my doubts all three things can happen.

I didn't think we'd lose 6 of 7 last year either, but we did.

I have to ask, if the opponent forces us into a half court set, how are we going to score consistently? We could barely do it last year, and that was with the best Iowa basketball player in 8 years.
It was also with 3 guys on the court at the same time who couldn't shoot outside the lane which left the floor horribly condensed. It was also with no one, including Marble, who could consistently break people down off the dribble.

Iowas half court offense last year was Marble taking tough jump shots and backing his man down into a crowded lane. Very inefficient way to play.

This year will have better quickness on the perimeter with a new PG, at least 3 shooters on the court to space the floor at all times and 7'1 center who, if given proper spacing, can score in the post or kick for jumpers. The teams best player will also be in a position to thrive rather than handicap the team.

This group will be much better in the half court next year.

Last edited:
Rather than puffing our chests out, I think it was a case of unrealistic expectations from the experts at ESPN and others, labeling us a Final Four team. Too much publicity to overcome and too much ammunition for our opponents......

I have a gut feeling that we will have learned from the collapse, and regain our chemistry, teamwork and solid D to make it a very interesting season.....

:rolleyes:

I don't think falling apart at the end was due to expectations.

The one thing it clearly was was terrible defense.

Once the offense became a struggle the effort on defense went in the tank. Thats bad leadership out of your seniors. I don't think you are going to see that out of the new leaders of this team.

I think fran steps up his coaching next season. Iowa started out tough last year, but beyond whatever else happened, Frans sons issue definitely couldn't have helped iowas struggles.

If Jok can be consistent at getting good iso shots we may not have a huge of a drop off as we should. But also we have a lot of potential in others in team that may step up during tough schedule.

I think less reliance on one player could be a good thing for us, hopefully Uthoff is more aggressive this year, I expect Woody and Gabe to continue their improvement on the offensive end, with Oglesby, Ellingson and Jok we have more shooters than we've ever had under Fran, Dickerson will hopefully be able to penetrate better than Mike. We're returning 7 of the top 10 guys from the 5th most efficient offense in the country, I'm more concerned about our ability to get stops when we need to.
Most of this is the "potential" I was talking about offensively HawkeyeMike. The defensive quickness will get better just by having White at the 4 instead of the 3 and someone quicker than him at the 3. Dickerson will also add to the overall defensive quickness. This team poses some of the questions offensively that a lot of teams pose when their leading scorer graduates or leaves. The good news is that there are many potential answers. The bad news is that it's potential.

It was also with 3 guys on the court at the same time who couldn't shoot outside the lane which left the floor horribly condensed. It was also with no one, including Marble, who could consistently break people down off the dribble.

Iowas half court offense last year was Marble taking tough jump shots and backing his man down into a crowded lane. Very inefficient way to play.

This year will have better quickness on the perimeter with a new PG, at least 3 shooters on the court to space the floor at all times and 7'1 center who, if given proper spacing, can score in the post or kick for jumpers. The teams best player will also be in a position to thrive rather than handicap the team.

This group will be much better in the half court next year.

I believe I was told elsewhere, in this very thread, that Iowa had the 5th most efficient offense in the country last year. So what was it, was the offense efficient, or was it inefficient?

Let's look at the things you say we'll have this year. A new PG who has better quickness? Maybe. We don't know if he's good enough to break guys down at the Big 10 level. I hope he can, but I am not going to assume he can. Last year, I assumed Gesell and Clemmons could.

At least three shooters on the floor? A few things. This assumes that we can break people down off the dribble, which I won't assume, and also, those three shooters all play the same position, so I doubt they'll be on the floor together all the time. I am also not ready to consider Jok and Ellingsworth decent enough shooters to mess with a defense. Heck, I have doubts as to whether Ellingsworth is a Big 10 caliber player who will see court time next year.

The 7'1" center? Again, like your other points, this is based on assumptions. Woodbury hasn't proven he can be a consistent post scoring threat. They guy misses more bunnies than a one armed man hunting on Oregon Trail.

While I am not saying what you are predicting can't happen, I doubt all of it will. As many have said, we're returning 7 of 10 players, and we return too many players for the offense to have a radical transformation. This offense still has more question marks than exclamation points.

I believe I was told elsewhere, in this very thread, that Iowa had the 5th most efficient offense in the country last year. So what was it, was the offense efficient, or was it inefficient?

Let's look at the things you say we'll have this year. A new PG who has better quickness? Maybe. We don't know if he's good enough to break guys down at the Big 10 level. I hope he can, but I am not going to assume he can. Last year, I assumed Gesell and Clemmons could.

At least three shooters on the floor? A few things. This assumes that we can break people down off the dribble, which I won't assume, and also, those three shooters all play the same position, so I doubt they'll be on the floor together all the time. I am also not ready to consider Jok and Ellingsworth decent enough shooters to mess with a defense. Heck, I have doubts as to whether Ellingsworth is a Big 10 caliber player who will see court time next year.

The 7'1" center? Again, like your other points, this is based on assumptions. Woodbury hasn't proven he can be a consistent post scoring threat. They guy misses more bunnies than a one armed man hunting on Oregon Trail.

While I am not saying what you are predicting can't happen, I doubt all of it will. As many have said, we're returning 7 of 10 players, and we return too many players for the offense to have a radical transformation. This offense still has more question marks than exclamation points.

Which is fine, we were a top 25 team for the majority of the year last year, we just slumped at the worst possible team. We were in position to be a top 5 seed before the last three weeks. We were 4-8 in games in which Marble scored over 20 points, we weren't winning the games where we depended on him to score. That's not Marble's fault, other players (Uthoff and White mainly) were more than happy to not look to score, I think forcing them to step up more often is going to be a good thing for us.

Which is fine, we were a top 25 team for the majority of the year last year, we just slumped at the worst possible team. We were in position to be a top 5 seed before the last three weeks. We were 4-8 in games in which Marble scored over 20 points, we weren't winning the games where we depended on him to score. That's not Marble's fault, other players (Uthoff and White mainly) were more than happy to not look to score, I think forcing them to step up more often is going to be a good thing for us.
Again, based on assumptions. Assumptions that the data at hand do not support. What I see is the team taking a step back talent wise, but still burdened with the same issues they had last year, as I explained before.

Unlike many Iowa fans, I don't think the team "collapsed" last year. I think opposing coaches figured them out. Once that happened, and they couldn't just run up and down the court anymore, the offense was lost. It's very similar to the way San Antonio figured out Miami. How many times did you see Fran standing there in disbelief? The players certainly didn't quit, but they just couldn't execute anymore. Until I see, next season, that they can get past that, I can't assume they'll be a better team next year execution wise as well.

Again, based on assumptions. Assumptions that the data at hand do not support. What I see is the team taking a step back talent wise, but still burdened with the same issues they had last year, as I explained before.

Unlike many Iowa fans, I don't think the team "collapsed" last year. I think opposing coaches figured them out. Once that happened, and they couldn't just run up and down the court anymore, the offense was lost. It's very similar to the way San Antonio figured out Miami. How many times did you see Fran standing there in disbelief? The players certainly didn't quit, but they just couldn't execute anymore. Until I see, next season, that they can get past that, I can't assume they'll be a better team next year execution wise as well.

Well obviously. If you're not making assumptions about how players increase their scoring each year, you would never make up for the lost production. Those points don't just disappear when players graduate. Someone from Michigan St will score the points that Appling, Harris and Payne scored. They aren't going to average 40 points less per game because those guys are gone. That's a dumb way to look at things.

When you beat a team by 20+ home and away and then lose convincingly on a neutral site, that's not just a team "figuring you out".

Well obviously. If you're not making assumptions about how players increase their scoring each year, you would never make up for the lost production. Those points don't just disappear when players graduate. Someone from Michigan St will score the points that Appling, Harris and Payne scored. They aren't going to average 40 points less per game because those guys are gone. That's a dumb way to look at things.

When you beat a team by 20+ home and away and then lose convincingly on a neutral site, that's not just a team "figuring you out".
Mike, we're having a good discussion here, so there is no need to try and explain how replacement scoring works like I'm a child. I am not talking about points on the board, I am talking about roles in an offense that stop working correctly. The question is not will they score points, because they will, but the question is will they do it consistently, which is a HUGE question mark.

As to the second point, while that is an extreme example, I believe it was a bi-product of the team completely losing confidence in themselves, and their coach. No one had any idea what to do, and it showed. Again, for an analogy, look at the NBA finals. Miami played SA close on the road for two games (both decided late in the 4th quarter), then they got completely destroyed the next three. Why? Their entire system was demolished and they had no idea what to do next, and those games were decided in the first half.

Mike, we're having a good discussion here, so there is no need to try and explain how replacement scoring works like I'm a child. I am not talking about points on the board, I am talking about roles in an offense that stop working correctly. The question is not will they score points, because they will, but the question is will they do it consistently, which is a HUGE question mark.

As to the second point, while that is an extreme example, I believe it was a bi-product of the team completely losing confidence in themselves, and their coach. No one had any idea what to do, and it showed. Again, for an analogy, look at the NBA finals. Miami played SA close on the road for two games (both decided late in the 4th quarter), then they got completely destroyed the next three. Why? Their entire system was demolished and they had no idea what to do next, and those games were decided in the first half.
It is a HUGE question mark who will take up the scoring of RDM. But, as has been discussed on a number of threads, there are a lot of candidates as consistent and go-to scorers. Question them individually if you want to continue to question the 2014 offense. Most likely replacing RDM's scoring will be done by committee, as it often is when a leading scorer leaves ANY team. But look at the stats. Iowa was the best-scoring team in the B1G and one of the best in the nation. There is a cushion offensively.

Defensive improvement is the bigger question BY FAR. That is what fell apart at the end of the year. The quickness will improve with White moving to the 4 and the addition of Dickerson. So we're going in the right direction from a quickness standpoint. The team physical tools for positional defense will be better. Also, the bigs aren't going to get any worse with experience and physical maturity. We'll see how that translates into overall defense.

Hawkeyes get ready to play together in Prime Time:
http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/06/19/Sports/38081.html
The Saunders team has nice balance with GO, JO, and Price at PG. They have a a chance if GO really did earn his #1 pick in the try-outs.
The Ahrens team should be explosive offensively. JU will score, Ellingson and Morgan from the wings, Alexander supposedly wowed in try-outs. I'm thinking Malcolm Moore will be the center. This could be a league winner.
The Nove team could do some damage in July, once everyone gets there. White and TD ought to form a dangerous duo and Mitchell will add to that.
The Swetalla team will showcase Uhl for us with MG passing to him. But they're not likely to challenge in the league.
The Lehman team could be really dangerous with Tuttle in the post, Jok on the wing and Washpun running the show. This could be a league challenger.
The Larson team will be good for Woody and Clemmons. Woody will get plenty of chances to score in the post. Clemmons will get plenty of chances to pass into the post. Bohannon will take some pressure off. If Sapp can control the tempo, this could be a top half team.

Defensive improvement is the bigger question BY FAR. That is what fell apart at the end of the year. The quickness will improve with White moving to the 4 and the addition of Dickerson. So we're going in the right direction from a quickness standpoint. The team physical tools for positional defense will be better. Also, the bigs aren't going to get any worse with experience and physical maturity. We'll see how that translates into overall defense.
I have my doubts that White over Basabe at the 4, and Jok over Marble at the 2 will improve things defensively. I like Gesell, Oglesby and Uthoff (out of the paint) defensively, but without Basabe, Olesani is the only guy who can protect the rim, which will put even more pressure on those perimeter defenders. Add in Uthoff and Uhl being forced into minutes at power forward, both very thin in the post, and those concerns only grow .

The Saunders team has nice balance with GO, JO, and Price at PG. They have a a chance if GO really did earn his #1 pick in the try-outs.
The Ahrens team should be explosive offensively. JU will score, Ellingson and Morgan from the wings, Alexander supposedly wowed in try-outs. I'm thinking Malcolm Moore will be the center. This could be a league winner.
The Nove team could do some damage in July, once everyone gets there. White and TD ought to form a dangerous duo and Mitchell will add to that.
The Swetalla team will showcase Uhl for us with MG passing to him. But they're not likely to challenge in the league.
The Lehman team could be really dangerous with Tuttle in the post, Jok on the wing and Washpun running the show. This could be a league challenger.
The Larson team will be good for Woody and Clemmons. Woody will get plenty of chances to score in the post. Clemmons will get plenty of chances to pass into the post. Bohannon will take some pressure off. If Sapp can control the tempo, this could be a top half team.
Ahren's squad is going to be tough to beat.

It sounded like we're gonna see Ajay Lawton, starting PG from Kirkwood, start with Uthoff, Morgan, Alexander, and you're right; Malcolm Moore. Jerel Moore coming off the bench should be sort of exciting, and some of the coaches thought that him getting Brady Ellingson when he did was the steal of the draft.

After that I agree that Lehman's team is probably the next challenger, at least until Dickerson and Aaron White get a chance to play together. Dickerson really sounds like he's going to make an impact, and bring some of the wow factor that I don't think we've had in a while. He's going to put a lot of pressure on Gesell come regular season time.

I like how we call people out for assumptions and follow them up with ..... assumptions.

Latest posts