Prime Time League Rosters

Good Discussion guys. I think we will be better next year. That is a assumption. Also teams do figure you out in the Big Ten by the end of the year. The league is full of good coaches. BUT we did fall apart last year after the waested trip to Indy. and Leadership will be mutch better next year in my opinion

I don't assume. Execution failed. Scoring droughts were the norm. Players and coaches looked lost.

All of that actually happened.

Right ...

But...

then you followed that right up with the assumption that last years team didn't "collapsed".

You went on to assume that opposing coaches figured them out and once that happened, they couldn't just run up and down the court anymore, the offense was lost. (they scored over 75 in 6 out of their final 8 losses, offense was ok)

Then you assumed it was similar to the way San Antonio figured out Miami.

How many times did you see Fran standing there in disbelief? again - assumption - who knows what he's thinking. Maybe he's like "these little ****ers are quitting on me"

The players certainly didn't quit, but they just couldn't execute anymore. Who really knows? Maybe they did quit, you're assuming again.

get my point now?

You see, I said you called someone out for assuming something and than followed it up with a TON of assumptions. Assumptions are ok with me, just think it's cute to use it as a way to tear down someone else's argument but you're ok to assume all you want to help your theories.

carry on

Last edited:
I don't think falling apart at the end was due to expectations.

The one thing it clearly was was terrible defense.

Once the offense became a struggle the effort on defense went in the tank. Thats bad leadership out of your seniors. I don't think you are going to see that out of the new leaders of this team.

Do you think the team felt pressure when they heard that they were a Final Four team.....

The possibility does exist.....

Do you think the other teams in the Big were rather motivated more than usual to defeat a potential Final Four team.....

The possibility does exist....

Just an opinion, nothing else.....

:rolleyes:

Which is fine, we were a top 25 team for the majority of the year last year, we just slumped at the worst possible team. We were in position to be a top 5 seed before the last three weeks. We were 4-8 in games in which Marble scored over 20 points, we weren't winning the games where we depended on him to score. That's not Marble's fault, other players (Uthoff and White mainly) were more than happy to not look to score, I think forcing them to step up more often is going to be a good thing for us.

Uthoff, White, Oglesby, Jok, and Gesell among others were reluctant to shoot when open for some reason....

Hopefully that situation will not occur next season. The offense certainly seemed to run through Marble, and in the half court he would dribble around a lot until the shot clock ran down....

I assume any of these possibilities for last season are plausible, I also assume many outcomes for next year are as well. Cause honestly, I don't know. I feel like despite the way last season ended, the program is still trending upwards and we have a lot that return and a lot to be excited about next season.

I am HOPING that the Hawks will be better than last year. I am HOPING that they have better team chemistry. I am HOPING that the remaining players all step up and improve, and a more balanced team approach like a Wisky with 4 players Avg. double figures.

All of these are HOPES of mine, because I don't really know how next year will play out, but I am certainly HOPING for the best.

If Trey goes, so does Iowa....that's what I'm going by....we needed a good guard, well, I think we've found one...I just have a good feeling about this kid even if he hasn't played a Big Ten game....If he's as good as advertised that just opens up a whole lot of possibilities where others can excel.....jmo

So I haven't read through all of this but is Drew Cook on team six our football Drew Cook? I would assume there is only one of them that goes to IC Regina. I'm curious what his basketball skills are. I know a lot of big time TEs in the NFL were amazing basketball players that had full rides at big time programs. Should be fun to watch.

Do you think the team felt pressure when they heard that they were a Final Four team.....

The possibility does exist.....

Do you think the other teams in the Big were rather motivated more than usual to defeat a potential Final Four team.....

The possibility does exist....

Just an opinion, nothing else.....

:rolleyes:
I hope this isn't the case, because were it true, it makes it seem like the players are astoundingly mentally weak, and the coach is feckless.

that's the beauty of these forums..... I learn new words everyday...thanks YW...feckless, that's gold....:D

Disappointing as I was looking forward to see this kid shoot the rock.....

Rob Howe @HawkeyeInsider

Brady Ellingson to miss at least 1st 2-3 weeks of PTL w/ right foot injury. Trey Dickerson debuts July 3 in Waterloo. Dom Uhl plays tonight.

I believe I was told elsewhere, in this very thread, that Iowa had the 5th most efficient offense in the country last year. So what was it, was the offense efficient, or was it inefficient?

Let's look at the things you say we'll have this year. A new PG who has better quickness? Maybe. We don't know if he's good enough to break guys down at the Big 10 level. I hope he can, but I am not going to assume he can. Last year, I assumed Gesell and Clemmons could.

At least three shooters on the floor? A few things. This assumes that we can break people down off the dribble, which I won't assume, and also, those three shooters all play the same position, so I doubt they'll be on the floor together all the time. I am also not ready to consider Jok and Ellingsworth decent enough shooters to mess with a defense. Heck, I have doubts as to whether Ellingsworth is a Big 10 caliber player who will see court time next year.

The 7'1" center? Again, like your other points, this is based on assumptions. Woodbury hasn't proven he can be a consistent post scoring threat. They guy misses more bunnies than a one armed man hunting on Oregon Trail.

While I am not saying what you are predicting can't happen, I doubt all of it will. As many have said, we're returning 7 of 10 players, and we return too many players for the offense to have a radical transformation. This offense still has more question marks than exclamation points.

Depends on which part of the season you look at. At the end of the season the efficiency rankings and ppg were bad.

Of course there will be 3 shooters on the court at all times...as long as White never plays the 3, which he won't. Any combination of the remaining players gives you 3 threats.

I've seen enough basketball to feel very good about Woodbury at this point as long as he has room.

Dickerson is an educated guess.

Iowas struggles were on the perimeter defensively not interior, again that gets better with more quickness and White gone from the 3.

Well see but I'm pretty sure I'm gona be right.

Again, based on assumptions. Assumptions that the data at hand do not support. What I see is the team taking a step back talent wise, but still burdened with the same issues they had last year, as I explained before.

Unlike many Iowa fans, I don't think the team "collapsed" last year. I think opposing coaches figured them out. Once that happened, and they couldn't just run up and down the court anymore, the offense was lost. It's very similar to the way San Antonio figured out Miami. How many times did you see Fran standing there in disbelief? The players certainly didn't quit, but they just couldn't execute anymore. Until I see, next season, that they can get past that, I can't assume they'll be a better team next year execution wise as well.

They quit on defense.

Last edited:
Half the league is starting wing players at 4 spot. Consider me not worried

Why do I get the feeling that YWinston is the embittered banned Ghost back with another alt. Sounds curiously like another ghost alt who embittered everyone on a thread about a new recruit.....

Either ghost or one of his cronies. They have several alts and are doing their best to irritate posters on here.....

Depends on which part of the season you look at. At the end of the season the efficiency rankings and ppg were bad.

Of course there will be 3 shooters on the court at all times...as long as White never plays the 3, which he won't. Any combination of the remaining players gives you 3 threats.

I've seen enough basketball to feel very good about Woodbury at this point as long as he has room.

Dickerson is an educated guess.

Iowas struggles were on the perimeter defensively not interior, again that gets better with more quickness and White gone from the 3.

Well see but I'm pretty sure I'm gona be right.
Who are the three shooters on the court? I can only assume you mean Gesell, Oglesby/Jok, and Uthoff. Is that really a big upgrade from a Gesell, Marble, Uthoff lineup we saw last season? Who is going to break down a defense?

I would again like to reiterate that I am not down on Iowa as a team, but merely claiming they will have the same issues on the half-court offense that plagued them last year.

Latest posts