POS Alabama Player In The Pokey Charged With Murder

Fun fact...

I'm 42, born in Iowa, and other than 9 years living in another state, I've always lived in Iowa.

I've never once been to Des Moines.

Been to the Quad Cities, Lames, Iowa City, Waterloo, CF, CR, Sioux City, Council Bluffs, Durty Dodge, etc. all many many times, but never Des Moines.

You ever been to Auburn? My dad took me to a bar in there back in June. There was a bachelorette party operating out of a 1999 Impala that had been turned into a limo with a NASCAR spoiler. You don't see cool shit like that in Neck Moines. You ain't missing anything.

My boss at my first real job out of college summed it up best. Dude said "you can drop someone off in any moderately sized town in this country and it's the same shit everywhere, the only distinctive feature is the weather and the nature surrounding the town." He was complaining about how Manhattan was becoming homogenized just like all the other towns. In the '90's and prior it mattered where you lived because you needed local access to a record store, clothes store, etc., but once the internet rolled around that shit didn't matter. Nothing is "edgy" anymore because everyone has a bigger music library than even the biggest Tower Records in their pocket.

It's just hard to believe. No Adventureland as a kid. No state fair.

Now, I'm am one of a few that has never been to the Iowa State Fair but I've been to Des Moines for a number of occasions for a number of reasons.

It really is weird.

Adventureland is in Altoona, shitlord.

It's just hard to believe. No Adventureland as a kid. No state fair.

Now, I'm am one of a few that has never been to the Iowa State Fair but I've been to Des Moines for a number of occasions for a number of reasons.

It really is weird.
Never had a reason to go. Played in the state baseball tournament but back then our site was Marshalltown.

I've flown into or out of the Sioux City, Omaha, CR, Kansas City, St Louis, Minneapolis, and Chicago airports but never even had a connection in Des Moines (and I fly Southwest 95 % of the time).

Been to most major cities on the coasts and Midwest (most multiple times), too. Worked in Newton and Indianola while I was a powerlineman but that's about as close as I got.

Never had a reason to go. Played in the state baseball tournament but back then our site was Marshalltown.

I've flown into or out of the Sioux City, Omaha, CR, Kansas City, St Louis, Minneapolis, and Chicago airports but never even had a connection in Des Moines (and I fly Southwest 95 % of the time).

Been to most major cities on the coasts and Midwest (most multiple times), too. Worked in Newton and Indianola while I was a powerlineman but that's about as close as I got.

It has to be damned near impossible to work in Indianola and Newton and never go to Des Moines, but I guess it is feasible if you were doing storm cleanup and working 20 hour days. I'm not sure how you could avoid Des Moines if you were driving to Indianola, but maybe you were living somewhere fancy, like Oskaloosa, at the time.

It has to be damned near impossible to work in Indianola and Newton and never go to Des Moines, but I guess it is feasible if you were doing storm cleanup and working 20 hour days. I'm not sure how you could avoid Des Moines if you were driving to Indianola, but maybe you were living somewhere fancy, like Oskaloosa, at the time.
Built transmission lines from Mt Ayr to Leon, and did insulator inspections from Leon to Indianola one summer.

In Newton we upgraded the lines running to Maytag's substation. My cousin lived in Marshalltown so I drove back and forth during the week because I could stay at his place for free. We were based out of CR.

Are you saying you have never stopped in Des Moines or are you saying that you have never even driven through Des Moines?

I had a business call with some people from Osky today. Nice gals.

Are you saying you have never stopped in Des Moines or are you saying that you have never even driven through Des Moines?

Hard to believe, isn't it? I thought anybody living in Iowa would be forced to go to Des Moines for some gawd damn reason in their lives, especially on the north side of 40.

I think he should just make a point to load the fam up for a two day stay in Dez Moinez this summer just to say he did it. Catch an Iowa Cubs game and nice restaurant.

Do it Fry.

That seems almost impossible. I grew up in SW Iowa and currently live in Iowa City. Trips across the state feel like they require driving through Des Moines.
Don't know what to tell ya. I live close to the SD and MN borders, for trips to Iowa City or CR we always took highway 18E to Charles City and down before 20 was four lane, once highway 20 was finished 4 lane we started going down to Correctionville and across that way.

I think a lot of people are unaware that DM is more than twice as close to the Missouri border as it is to the MN border.

So you're not far off of Euclid/Douglas then I take it? Yeah back when I lived around there it never really took more then 30 mins to get from one side to the other outside rush hour traffic. You catch that at the wrong time on say 235 or University and that can be some slow going. Getting to the airport isn't bad especially with that hwy 5 that wrapped around the south part of town helped that part a lot.

Yeah, Euclid/Douglas, we lived in Oak Park on Euclid when we moved from Philadelphia

I pay particular attention to traffic patterns, rush hour and all that

I also use streets that have almost no traffic, sometimes just a block or two of the main drags

I had a flower delivery business that required quick routes

One December the temperature didn't get above Zero, day or night, the entire month

Damn

:cool:

Yeah, Euclid/Douglas, we lived in Oak Park on Euclid when we moved from Philadelphia

I pay particular attention to traffic patterns, rush hour and all that

I also use streets that have almost no traffic, sometimes just a block or two of the main drags

I had a flower delivery business that required quick routes

One December the temperature didn't get above Zero, day or night, the entire month

Damn

I always found it tougher/longer to go from the NW part of town to go to the SE part like say Urbandale to South Ridge mall area then say Altoona to the Airport. I've never timed it out but I bet I'm right haha.

There's just no fast way to do it. You can either hop up on interstate and go the long way around or go through town. When I lived in WDM I lived just off of 50th st south of I235. And to get to Prairie Meadows I either took I235 or went to I35/I80 which was further. I did that for about a yr before I bought my place in Altoona and was able to ride my bike to work when it was nice out :)

For me and my family we went to every Drake Relays from 1968 till 1989 in Des Moines and we had awesome season seats. It was great as a spectator and as athletes from my dad to all of my siblings. Track and field was mandatory in our household for all 5 kids. We loved the olympic years back in the day.....epic hall of fame athletes in Des Moines.

I was going to mention Philly. There is a certain road that has many documentaries on Youtube where they interview people, often women. There is a certain drug that they are taking, like a horse sedative or something which is why they stand there leaned over and zombi-like. It does look like a war zone and all the specifics that you mentioned.

I went to San Fran years ago for a conference. It was disgusting out on the streets. Yea, warm climates are alwayg soing to have more homeless I looked out my luxury hotel window to see people peppered all along the sidewalks laying around. I ventured out and some guy sitting on his bike in a parking ramp entrance tried to forcefully sell me a cell phone. Not sure where he got it.

I went out and got approached and hit up by a transvestite asking if I wanted a date. I bit later I had a call pull up to the intersection I as at, on the opposite side of the road, full of about 4 crossdressers. They put the window down and asked my how I was doing. Not sure if they wanted to party or what.

Out during the day, to witness a young homeless gal pissing in the storefront opening of a business, right in the corner. The smell of urine just around town was nauseating. The smell of pot was nice, but just not mixed with urine.

The entire experience was just f'ing disgusting. I don't care to ever go back to "marvelous" San Francisco.

People smoke embalming fluid, horse tranquilizer, ketamine/angeldust

San Francisco used to be one of the most beautiful cities in the World

No longer, people are shooting up on the streets all over the city, folk overdose and die on the street
people just walk around them

People leave their cars unlocked so their windows will not be smashed, they leave notes on the windshield saying: There is nothing in my car worth value

Horrible place to live, can't imagine

Charles Barkley hates to go there for a broadcast

He tells Ernie, Shaq and Kenny: I hate San Francisco

I really like DM

Built transmission lines from Mt Ayr to Leon, and did insulator inspections from Leon to Indianola one summer.

In Newton we upgraded the lines running to Maytag's substation. My cousin lived in Marshalltown so I drove back and forth during the week because I could stay at his place for free. We were based out of CR.
It's all downhill from your place to Des Moines.

Don't know what to tell ya. I live close to the SD and MN borders, for trips to Iowa City or CR we always took highway 18E to Charles City and down before 20 was four lane, once highway 20 was finished 4 lane we started going down to Correctionville and across that way.

I think a lot of people are unaware that DM is more than twice as close to the Missouri border as it is to the MN border.
I guess the difference is I have spent most of my time in the southern half of Iowa and you have spent most of your time in the northern half of Iowa. Cedar Rapids is the northern most place I have spent much time in.