POS Alabama Player In The Pokey Charged With Murder

PSA to all city-folk and suburbanites looking to leave drug and crime-infested shitholes for greener pastures...

DO NOT MOVE TO NW IOWA. You would hate it here. It's cold as shit in the winter, hot as hell in the summer, there's no IKEA, no Trader Joe's, and you smell manure at least three times a day. WARNING...do not move here for a better life. Your life will only get worse...DO NOT MOVE HERE.
There still as much drug use in NW Iowa. You all just handle it normally without the crime and violence.

There still as much drug use in NW Iowa. You all just handle it normally without the crime and violence.
I don't even know where my house key is and my front door hasn't been locked in over a decade. When I was little I ran around town and even outside of town from sun up to sun down and only came home when I was hungry. 20 years later my own young son did the same. It costs essentially nothing to live here compared to the rest of the world, and the education system here is great. You can be a kid instead of growing up worrying about a bunch of bullshit going on. It has its downfalls like anything else, but I've lived in a city of 2,000,000 for 9 years and I'd rather hit myself in the jewels with a sledgehammer 50 times a day than even go back and visit that shithole. On either coast you're either ultra-wealthy and can afford a pleasant experience, or you're crammed in 6 inches from everyone else paying ten times more money for food, housing, recreation, etc., every part of your life regulated, and worried about your house getting robbed or your car getting broken into. No thanks. I'll keep blowing snow 4 or 5 times a year and smelling hogs. It ain't too bad.

I don't even know where my house key is and my front door hasn't been locked in over a decade. When I was little I ran around town and even outside of town from sun up to sun down and only came home when I was hungry. 20 years later my own young son did the same. It costs essentially nothing to live here compared to the rest of the world, and the education system here is great. You can be a kid instead of growing up worrying about a bunch of bullshit going on. It has its downfalls like anything else, but I've lived in a city of 2,000,000 for 9 years and I'd rather hit myself in the jewels with a sledgehammer 50 times a day than even go back and visit that shithole. On either coast you're either ultra-wealthy and can afford a pleasant experience, or you're crammed in 6 inches from everyone else paying ten times more money for food, housing, recreation, etc., every part of your life regulated, and worried about your house getting robbed or your car getting broken into. No thanks. I'll keep blowing snow 4 or 5 times a year and smelling hogs. It ain't too bad.

Explains the homelessness problem that is happening. It's a mess.

Explains the homelessness problem that is happening. It's a mess.
Couple years ago right after baseball season I went to Oakland for 3 days. My best friend's nephew flew back out here as an unaccompanied minor for the summer, but his return flight from Omaha got canceled and there were no direct flights (Southwest you can't have a connection as an unaccompanied minor).

I had nothing going on so I told his mom and dad (also friends of mine from way back) that I'd go along with him because there were some $100 ish round trip flights. They're loaded so they actually paid for it themselves.

Stayed 2 days, and you could not get me out of that friggin place soon enough. It literally looks like a warzone. It's like Mad Max all along the freeway and interstate. Imagine one of those shanty towns you see on tv where its a bunch of plywood, corrugated metal, and plastic tarps where everyone is shitting and pissing in the street and walking around like zombies from all the fentanyl going around. There were even tons of old run down campers set up with no windows or doors, just tarps and bedsheets. Cops don't stop anyone for drugs because they've gotten pressured not to bust homeless people, and they basically just leave the entire downtown as a free for all wild west. It was absolutely unbelievable what that place was like, and Portland, SF, parts of Philly and Pittsburgh...all the same.

I know there's a whole lot wrong with society that needs to change; I'm not here to debate that fact or what to do about it...but my ass isn't living in one of those towns. You can call me a hypocrite all day long and you may be right, but I'm not gonna jump in that cesspool and raise a kid there.

I'm happy where I'm at. I have a small house on a double lot that's paid off, and my property taxes are only $1,300 a year. There are just enough shitty things for people to not want to move here and change the vibe like the crappy weather, lack of huge metros, and farmers owning every inch of land (no big developments). I'm an hour ish from Sioux Falls and Sioux City if I need to shop or whatever, and I figure I can visit any place that seems cool.

My issue with being out west is that even though there aren't a lot of people in some areas right now, there's definitely going to be soon. People are leaving both coasts in absolute droves, and even if they don't come physically close, they're going to make everything more expensive and drive stuff through the roof eventually. My town has been the same population for about the past 70 years and I'm good with it. I remind myself every time I'm blowing snow that it's the "tax" I pay for other people not wanting to move here :)
Nice. And yup now that I've been down here 12 yrs I've softened right up. It snows about once-three times a winter here for about 4-8 inches tops sometimes less. I just have no desire to go through months of that cold ice and snow at a time again.

I'm not too worried about the flow of population to Wyoming too much. Their whole state has under 600k. Largest city has like 64k. It's as spread out as it gets. If I could find a place within an hour or so of Casper I think that'd be perfect. It's even smaller then Cheyenne but it does have an airport. Their weather during the summer is perfect. Rarely ever gets to 90 degrees for a high and hardly rains either. May-Sept is perfect.
We'll see I'm not financially ready to start pulling the trigger on anything but it's a realistic goal

The biggest problem that Utah and other Western states have now is ensuring a sustainable water supply for all of the growth. Huge problem, I hope it gets fixed.
No doubt AZ is in the news today over it.. I'm not about the SW at all no thanks.

Yeah, been looking at houses in a metro area moving once wife retires in 3 months

the more i look, the further out in the suburbs i am thinking

I lived in and around Des Moines from 98-2009... Largest town I've lived in and if I'm inside the city limits of another town again it'll be a nursing home that I don't want to go to. I'm on 12 acres in TN now shared with my boss and his family.

We have our separate houses and have all the room a guy needs. I'm looking to design and build a house I'd like to have and hence why I'm getting 9 acres of my own about 20 mins from here. I love being able to go outside with my dog with no traffic no neighbors no nothing to worry about but the crying coyotes at night.

I lived in and around Des Moines from 98-2009... Largest town I've lived in and if I'm inside the city limits of another town again it'll be a nursing home that I don't want to go to. I'm on 12 acres in TN now shared with my boss and his family.

We have our separate houses and have all the room a guy needs. I'm looking to design and build a house I'd like to have and hence why I'm getting 9 acres of my own about 20 mins from here. I love being able to go outside with my dog with no traffic no neighbors no nothing to worry about but the crying coyotes at night.

You far enough from the mountains that there aren't any black bears? Those things are nightmare fuel. You piss one of those guys off and you're gonna have a bad night.

DSM has added 100k people since '09 at least

Couple years ago right after baseball season I went to Oakland for 3 days. My best friend's nephew flew back out here as an unaccompanied minor for the summer, but his return flight from Omaha got canceled and there were no direct flights (Southwest you can't have a connection as an unaccompanied minor).

I had nothing going on so I told his mom and dad (also friends of mine from way back) that I'd go along with him because there were some $100 ish round trip flights. They're loaded so they actually paid for it themselves.

Stayed 2 days, and you could not get me out of that friggin place soon enough. It literally looks like a warzone. It's like Mad Max all along the freeway and interstate. Imagine one of those shanty towns you see on tv where its a bunch of plywood, corrugated metal, and plastic tarps where everyone is shitting and pissing in the street and walking around like zombies from all the fentanyl going around. There were even tons of old run down campers set up with no windows or doors, just tarps and bedsheets. Cops don't stop anyone for drugs because they've gotten pressured not to bust homeless people, and they basically just leave the entire downtown as a free for all wild west. It was absolutely unbelievable what that place was like, and Portland, SF, parts of Philly and Pittsburgh...all the same.

I know there's a whole lot wrong with society that needs to change; I'm not here to debate that fact or what to do about it...but my ass isn't living in one of those towns. You can call me a hypocrite all day long and you may be right, but I'm not gonna jump in that cesspool and raise a kid there.

The winter is what keeps Chicago from getting as bad as Oakland or Portland. If Chicago didn't have such horrific weather in December, January and February the population would probably be about twice as large and it would have an immense homeless population.

I've been to the Bay Area once. Never going again. Hell, my wife grew up in Tokyo and she loved the city, but after living in Iowa and Cackalack she's basically of the opinion that if she never sets foot in a huge city again she won't complain. It just ain't natural for people to live like that. I did a long stint between New York, Tokyo and Chicago and I would go live in a trailer park in Coalville again before I'd live in a city. F that nonsense.

DSM has added 100k people since '09 at least
I believe it. The suburbs around it have exploded. Wdm Waukee all out that way is nuts. I lived in Altoona about a mile straight east of Prairie Meadows for awhile and it's exploded since then too. I sold my townhouse there about 2 yrs too early damn it...

Stayed those couple days, and you could not get me out of that friggin place soon enough. It literally looks like a warzone. It's like Mad Max all along the freeway and interstate. Imagine one of those shanty towns you see on tv where its a bunch of plywood, corrugated metal, and plastic tarps where everyone is shitting and pissing in the street and walking around like zombies from all the fentanyl going around. There were even tons of old run down campers set up with no windows or doors, just tarps and bedsheets. Cops don't stop anyone for drugs because they've gotten pressured not to bust homeless people, and they basically just leave the entire downtown as a free for all wild west. It was absolutely unbelievable what that place was like, and Portland, SF, parts of Philly and Pittsburgh...all the same.

My daughter lives in Oakland and I went on a visit two years ago. Everything Fryowa says is true. Weather is nice but man the traffic, homeless people, the poverty. No Thanks! And those people living in campers have Jobs! They just can't afford rent or to buy anything. We were walking past a credit union and the price for a one bedroom one story condo was 750,000. Who can afford that! The Start-Up millionaires buy everything and drive up the price of real estate, which leaves a lot of displaced locales very angry. I hope she moves back to the midwest soon. She will never afford to buy a house there and I worry all the time for her safety. Hopefully she decides she wants something in life besides just getting by. I would rather pay for her ticket to visit me than go back there again.

My daughter lives in Oakland and I went on a visit two years ago. Everything Fryowa says is true. Weather is nice but man the traffic, homeless people, the poverty. No Thanks! And those people living in campers have Jobs! They just can't afford rent or to buy anything. We were walking past a credit union and the price for a one bedroom one story condo was 750,000. Who can afford that! The Start-Up millionaires buy everything and drive up the price of real estate, which leaves a lot of displaced locales very angry. I hope she moves back to the midwest soon. She will never afford to buy a house there and I worry all the time for her safety. Hopefully she decides she wants something in life besides just getting by. I would rather pay for her ticket to visit me than go back there again.
Sorry didn’t mean to make you worry more about your daughter. But holy shit I couldn’t handle the place.

YARN | The Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow. | A Clockwork Orange  (1971) | Video gifs by quotes | 1f0d443d | 紗

Clockwork Orange

Inside the city limits of DM is still alright. I live just inside the city on an acre of land filled with Walnut
trees, and love it

Picking up fallen branches every day keeps me in shape

10/15 minutes away from Altoona/Ankeny and major shops/ Target/Home Depot/ Lowes/Menards adn
even Walmart sometimes. Five minutes away from Hy-Vee and Walgreens

Grew up in Philadelphia and have lived in Chicago and San Francisco and would Never live in a large city
ever again. San Francisco in the last Sixties was wonderful though, lotta friends from Iowa lived there at the
time, and we had a time, indeed

:cool:

To really discuss this it likely belongs in Athen
The winter is what keeps Chicago from getting as bad as Oakland or Portland. If Chicago didn't have such horrific weather in December, January and February the population would probably be about twice as large and it would have an immense homeless population.

I've been to the Bay Area once. Never going again. Hell, my wife grew up in Tokyo and she loved the city, but after living in Iowa and Cackalack she's basically of the opinion that if she never sets foot in a huge city again she won't complain. It just ain't natural for people to live like that. I did a long stint between New York, Tokyo and Chicago and I would go live in a trailer park in Coalville again before I'd live in a city. F that nonsense.

My wife was born in the Bay area. Beautiful area. And low crime where that is.

Latest posts