Poll: Who Regrets Buying Season Tickets?

Do You Regret Buying Season Tickets?

• Yes

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Blah

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I'm Selling Them

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
I hate to say this, but I feel like Iowa lost the game last weekend because of the weather..... I know that won't be popular, but again, Iowa had a chance to tie the game and send it to overtime but they made their own bed by being horrible at offense and when they needed perfect conditions to make a kick that wasn't on their side. It shouldn't have come to that though, we should have been better on offense and Iowa should have won that game.... I just however think the conditions played a big part of why they didn't. Not to mention ISU's 99 yard march was aided by a couple of calls as well. Oh well, that is football and both teams had to play through it, ISU got the best of us. Ya live with it.... I am not in the camp that we should give up on this season.

Nah, no regrets. Game day for me is about much more than just the game. Driving down to Iowa City and back while spending quality time with a friend or family member, tossing the pigskin on Golfview Ave, enjoying the pregame energy -- participating in the "Save the Penis" anti-circumcision protest outside Kinnick last year was fun, for example -- the band, the folks I sit near who I now consider friends...you get the idea.

I only paid about $1000 for 3 season tickets with chair backs and parking pass. I sold the Clown game for $600, so I'm only out $400 and get to watch all the other games in person and tailgate with my 2 boys. That's cheap so zero regrets.

I'm not a religious scholar or anything, but I think somewhere in the compiled writings of Jan Hus it says something to the effect of "let he hath not caught some shut eye in Kinnick cast thy first stone." Everyone who has had season tickets for a prolonged period has caught a wink or two in there.
I guess it could be worse....see Todd Lackluster on a cold winter night at Carver.

I've wondered this week how much bitching there would be if they wouldn't have ruled it a fumble on the goal line, we'd have scored the TD and won the game. There obviously would be bitching, most likely more bitching than normal due to the obvious deficiency, but we'd be 2-0 and would've beaten ISU for the 7th straight year.
Agreed.....Iowa should be 2-0.....major, major, F up by the officials.

Wondering if you are OK. Not sure if you're being hyperbolic, but in the event you aren't, I'll gladly take you up on a 70 point spread (betting against it) for those games.

InGoodCo was pretty clear that he's mad and feels KF and others should be held accountable. I feel the same way. Having said that, one different call and that game is won 14-3, which is as good or better a margin against ISU than we usually have.

Yes, our offense sucks ballz, and we're all upset or numb at this point. Changes must happen, and I'm not sure why our O line is this bad.

I have season tickets and live in California. My regret is selecting the Michigan and Wisconsin games (not that it matters) for attendance. We'll see I guess. I still keep my tickets because I'm a Hawkeye who has gone to games since I was 6yo, and I have some friends I tailgate with there and greatly enjoy that experience.

Other hawk games this year? Might be out hiking or mtn biking. So, don't get me wrong, Iowa is dreadful to watch this year, but they have been at times in the past as well. It's just, somehow, even worse right now.

Will I break my season ticket string of purchasing them my whole adult life going forward? Maybe.
I'm OK. Good gives it to people and I was just giving it to him.
About the 70 point spread...that isn't happening unless he loses this team on D. That is entirely possible.
About the fans, the booing = anger. Anger is an emotion. Emotions are better than apathy, so we aren't there yet. But it could be coming.

My biggest beef about KF isn't about the lack of scoring and losses (coming losses). The situation isn't a matter of just trying harder or making a few changes. It's a huge issue and one I expected after losing (rightfully) Doyle and of course the unmentionable issues.

I'll put it this way. I go back to ARob... being thrown into angry lines and then under the bus.
I think of CJ getting pummeled like a gunfighter who is mortally wounded against overwhelming odds and he kept standing and trying behind a completely inept line and play calling.

I also know more about the JC situation as per his abilities than most. He was pretty decent at EIU. Something happened. Now we have Petras. The guy seems to be in a shell. Absolutely no support. in HS he could look off. Can't now. What the heck?

Frankly I've come to the conclusion KF and his persona is an abuser. In my mind it's that simple. Fans keep making excuses for him. It's a worn out story. Repeatedly we see QBs degenerate. Why? It's just not normal. Iowa is the ONLY school close to being near the bottom 2 years in a row. OK the Hawks played only defensive Titans so far and the cupcake schedule is coming up (sarcasm).

It's just time for KF to go regardless of the risks. The days of narcissistic coaches is just plain in the past.

Iowa lost one game to an in state rival and the fall out is ridiculous. Did some imagine they were going undefeated? That's only happened once in school history. This could end up being a throw away season and I think fans have every right to be upset but since when did we become a fan base that doesn't tolerate a loss? I agree that there should be heat on this staff and they should be held accountable by the media and fans. That's happening and I'm glad it is but everything that Iowa wants to do is still out there for them to do at this point. I'm upset with Kirk and his unwillingness to change and I would like to see another QB but I also preface that knowing that despite my anger, Kirk's earned my respect and trust. I trust him knowing a shit ton more than me about the sport. I also trust that he's good at winning football games.
I agree and I posted that, everything is still out there for Iowa to achieve. Iowa lost to Iowa state before and still had a good season. I was just thinking how distracting this whole thing is to the players who are playing well. The defense and Taylor should be what everyone is talking about, not the dismal offense. Man I hate booing players too. Nobody should be doing that, period. Maybe if they took a dump on the flag or spray painted Nike Kinnick's statue but not for playing as hard as you can. I've sat through bad seasons before and will again I'm sure. This defense is just too good to not cheer for.

And you are the ones that keep KF and BF around,
That's Gary Barta actually and Kirk's performance year in and year out that keeps him firmly in place at Iowa. Ya don't fire guys who win a lot of games. Ya don't fire the guy who won the division the year before. He's a proven winner. I'm not keeping Kirk Ferentz around..... you can blame 78k+ people selling out our stadium. I don't own season tickets. Weak take.

That said, let's look at the most hated assistant coaches during the KF era. Who are they? Who are the coaches that continue to be the brunt of everything that is wrong with Iowa football.

let's see... there's Ken OKeefe
let's see..... there's Greg Davis
and hmmm... last but not least, Brian Ferentz.

weird all OC's and all who coached for one dude.... the dude who's won more games here then anyone else. The dude who's had the schools only undefeated season.

That's the real conundrum, is Kirk past his expiration date? Still to be seen but he's been winning more the last 5 years then ever.

Iowa lost one game to an in state rival and the fall out is ridiculous. Did some imagine they were going undefeated? That's only happened once in school history. This could end up being a throw away season and I think fans have every right to be upset but since when did we become a fan base that doesn't tolerate a loss? I agree that there should be heat on this staff and they should be held accountable by the media and fans. That's happening and I'm glad it is but everything that Iowa wants to do is still out there for them to do at this point. I'm upset with Kirk and his unwillingness to change and I would like to see another QB but I also preface that knowing that despite my anger, Kirk's earned my respect and trust. I trust him knowing a shit ton more than me about the sport. I also trust that he's good at winning football games.

It's not the loss, it's how they lost and how they played. It's the deficiencies and depth at some positions. How did we get to this point? That is the disconcerting part.

But, to your point, we have seen bad questionable losses in the past, and KF sometimes can get it turned around or figure it out. I don't know about this time because of the number of areas and the bad O-line play is a systemic situation for a team affecting so much.

That's Gary Barta actually and Kirk's performance year in and year out that keeps him firmly in place at Iowa. Ya don't fire guys who win a lot of games. Ya don't fire the guy who won the division the year before. He's a proven winner. I'm not keeping Kirk Ferentz around..... you can blame 78k+ people selling out our stadium. I don't own season tickets. Weak take.

That said, let's look at the most hated assistant coaches during the KF era. Who are they? Who are the coaches that continue to be the brunt of everything that is wrong with Iowa football.

weird all OC's and all who coached for one dude.... the dude who's won more games here then anyone else. The dude who's had the schools only undefeated season.

That's the real conundrum, is Kirk past his expiration date? Still to be seen but he's been winning more the last 5 years then ever.
There is no conundrum here. He has managed to sidestep a lot of things over the years. This one is not fixable nor does he deserve a long leash. Much of his side stepping was on the backs of people named Parker and as much as I don't like to say it......Doyle.

I'm not a religious scholar or anything, but I think somewhere in the compiled writings of Jan Hus it says something to the effect of "let he hath not caught some shut eye in Kinnick cast thy first stone." Everyone who has had season tickets for a prolonged period has caught a wink or two in there.
Comes thru again.

I agree and I posted that, everything is still out there for Iowa to achieve. Iowa lost to Iowa state before and still had a good season. I was just thinking how distracting this whole thing is to the players who are playing well. The defense and Taylor should be what everyone is talking about, not the dismal offense. Man I hate booing players too. Nobody should be doing that, period. Maybe if they took a dump on the flag or spray painted Nike Kinnick's statue but not for playing as hard as you can. I've sat through bad seasons before and will again I'm sure. This defense is just too good to not cheer for.
But again, it's not about the loss. That is so far from my mind. It's about the state of where the team is. How is Iowa's O-line so inept? The backbone of Kirk's coaching and Brian's. This is where they cut their teeth.

The O-line is the most absolute concern for me, as it plays into ripping off running yards, moving the chains, TOS, giving the QB time to look off reads, and WR routes with inexperienced receivers.

But, again, it's how they looked. If Iowa wins the game against IA. State and only has 160 yds of offense and less than 400 in two games. Yea, I'm concerned with that 2-0 record, and 130 ranking in total offense coming off last years 121, or whatever it was.

I tend to agree. Nobody is going to be fired just coming off a 10 win regular season, unless your Nebraska.

Fans are in the stands and his entire body of work keeps him around. Michigan has shit show years with Harbaugh to and Nebby can't seem to get it straight ever now. These things happen. KF will figure something out. There still is the question about his philosophy and style of the offense in today's game. Why can't Iowa have a decent offense to compliment the defense. Why is it always one or the other with Iowa. We've seen it in basketball for years to, just the opposite with Fran.

There is no conundrum here. He has managed to sidestep a lot of things over the years. This one is not fixable nor does he deserve a long leash. Much of his side stepping was on the backs of people named Parker and as much as I don't like to say it......Doyle.

This has opened up my eyes this week when this point was mentioned. The defense and ST over the years certainly have made the team successful. Without that and those coaches you mention, Iowa would have been mediocre, at best.

It's not the loss, it's how they lost and how they played. It's the deficiencies and depth at some positions. How did we get to this point? That is the disconcerting part.

But, to your point, we have seen bad questionable losses in the past, and KF sometimes can get it turned around or figure it out. I don't know about this time because of the number of areas and the bad O-line play is a systemic situation for a team affecting so much.
I agree, Iowa should not be in the position it is at this point in KF's career. I guess I am just saying that I am willing to let the guy try and figure it out. You'd expect that he would have figured it out all off season but instead he dug his feet in further and doubled down on what he has and didn't make any real changes. It pisses me off terribly..... just not ready to bury him or the team just yet.

His leash is pretty long though, and you need to know that. His body of work should have been what he was toting in his presser, not Spencer's. Because he's absolutely earned the right to get this figured out. What coach doesn't build things on the backs of his assistants? That's not a reason to indict Kirk, that's a reason to commend him.

Frankly I've come to the conclusion KF and his persona is an abuser. In my mind it's that simple. Fans keep making excuses for him. It's a worn out story. Repeatedly we see QBs degenerate. Why? It's just not normal. Iowa is the ONLY school close to being near the bottom 2 years in a row. OK the Hawks played only defensive Titans so far and the cupcake schedule is coming up (sarcasm).

It's just time for KF to go regardless of the risks. The days of narcissistic coaches is just plain in the past.

I'm not trying to be a Kirk apologist here. I think hiring your son/daughter is a bad idea. REALLY bad idea. Unless he/she has pretty serious plans to move on in a year or three.

As bad as this season is going to be, (and don't get me wrong, I have distinct concern about the next few), I firmly believe Ferentz has earned some grace here.

I mean, who's record/results/relevance would you choose over the last 20 years over Iowa's? Probably not more than 15-20 or so teams on that list?

I found a list of the top records for NCAA football for 2000-2010
Iowa is 24. A couple of them are teams like Boise St/Utah. who made some noise and racked up a lot of wins because of their conference. For perspective, Alabama clocks in at #48 on that list. Only 3 Big Ten teams are ahead of Iowa. OSU near the top. Wisconsin at 18 and Michigan at 22. I don't count Nebraska here, they weren't Big 10. And, we'll note this includes Ferentz' first few years.

Same list for 2010-2020
Iowa clocks in at 34. A few more Boise St. situations are added like Northern Illinois/San Diego St.
Yes, Penn St. climbed ahead of Iowa. Michigan St. too. Wisconsin is probably a bit further from us. On the expected note, Nebraska falls to around 50th.

A few move ahead of Iowa in the later years. Clemson and Alabama. A few fall out like West Virginia.
Since 2000, There isn't one Pac 12 or ACC team I would switch with. Except maybe USC because they can still be pretty good and they have hot cheerleaders. Old Big 8/12......sure. Maybe Oklahoma. SEC? Not Alabama if we count the first 10 years. LSU for sure. Maybe Georgia? A few making their case lately like Clemson and Auburn. Certainly OSU, Wisconsin, probably Michigan (except, we've beaten them a lot in this period). Michigan St. was just a 'tough opponent who could sometimes beat us" for the first half.

Over 20 years, it's not a big list who've at least made their fanbase hopeful year after year. With only brief stretches of dismal-ness (is that even a word?)

Again, no doubt I have concerns about the next few years. Not sure the o-line is something you can change overnight. Not sure Brian Ferentz can become good, ever. And now you mix in the transfer portal and all the conference chaos? It would be a good time for Kirk to start a graceful handoff. Maybe a little more coordinated than when his predecessor left, in terms of personnel.

Latest posts