• Yes

Votes: 143 79.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 20.1%

• Total voters

BSpringsteen

1. Yes
2. No

For me, this is an easy #1. Those who are saying we wouldn't lok at him if he weren't from iowa might be right, but the fact is that HE IS from Iowa. THIS IS his dream job. Those intangibles matter.

VIVA LE FORBES!

Last edited:
Yes, considering what names are coming up as being interviewed. Gazette's Scott Dochterman says Gregory didn't get interviewed and instead Wright State's Brad Brownell did. Wright State???

No because I don't think he would be the best Barta SHOULD settle for.

Absolutely!! Barta has a unique opportunity here to get a guy who can not only turn this program around but take it to the next level and stay here at Iowa after doing it! I hope Barta doesn't blow it. Because I'm gonna hate to see Forbes get another job and take another program to new heights while Iowa basketball continues to languish in the pits of hell leaving Iowa fans wondering what might have been.

You have to love his enthusiasm and down to earth attitude. I think he can relate to the fan base. I think he can bring players. Worst case, another George Raveling, but Steve is from Iowa and that is what George could not relate to.

It is concerning that Barta hasn't even contacted him for an interview though. And he has been interviewing Boylen, Wright State's coach (don't know who he is and don't care) and Marshall instead. I guess I don't get how he can just ignore Forbes when the guy is the ONLY coach that clearly WANTS the job and has decent credentials except head coaching experiencing in a BCS conference school.

If Barta fails on this hire not only could he be gone along with this coach but Iowa basketball may remain career suicide and never recover its fanbase or relevancy.

Also consider this...

Barbee was shopping himself.
Gregory is shopping himself.
This guy from Wright State is shopping himself according to Dochterman.

Forbes isn't shopping himself to anyone but Iowa.

These other guys just want better jobs.

Forbes wants the IOWA job.

It is concerning that Barta hasn't even contacted him for an interview though. And he has been interviewing Boylen, Wright State's coach (don't know who he is and don't care) and Marshall instead. I guess I don't get how he can just ignore Forbes when the guy is the ONLY coach that clearly WANTS the job and has decent credentials except head coaching experiencing in a BCS conference school.

If Barta fails on this hire not only could he be gone along with this coach but Iowa basketball may remain career suicide and never recover its fanbase or relevancy.

He will. I just emailed him and asked him nicely to chat with Steve soon. :)

You can, too: gary-barta@uiowa.edu

Barta will blow this hire big time. Steve Forbes just makes too much sense and Barta seems to have a hard time when it comes to grasping the obvious.

Barta is looking for a coach because of popular opinion and losing players. Fans want Forbes, Forbes wants Iowa, players want a coach they can relate to, Forbes is a great recruiter.

If Barta does not hire Forbes, his goal if generating interest is gone and so will be his job.

He is also right, money will not be an issue, because Forbes will be willing to wait and earn the big prize. He won't need it day one.

To me, this is too obvious.

Barta will blow this hire big time. Steve Forbes just makes too much sense and Barta seems to have a hard time when it comes to grasping the obvious.

It does make too much sense. Iowa ties, great recruiter, up-tempo basketball, low price, fan base wants him, and could potentially bring a 5* pg with him.

You put a 5* pg on this team, and they could be in the dance NEXT year.

It does make too much sense. Iowa ties, great recruiter, up-tempo basketball, low price, fan base wants him, and could potentially bring a 5* pg with him.

Doesn't make sense to Barta. Barta wants the "Kirk Ferentz" of basketball. Problem is he fails to understand basketball and football are different sports!!

Steve Forbes will be recruiting to IOWA, not to play for him.

He will be able to genuinely sell the history and tradition of the program to recruits because he was there to witness it first hand.

If Barta doesn't hire Forbes, it still might work out for Iowa BBall.... but the chances are a lot better with Forbes at the helm.

ya if he can do all that then great, but thats putting alot of faith into some1 who can get players to UT- there is no "Paul Rhoads guarantee"- just seems odd to me e1 is so convinced Forbes is the answer- Hope u all are right tho if he is the hire- cuz we all are sick and tired of Iowa BBall being irrelevant

Does Bobby Hansen have a dog in the fight ? He may be able to talk some common sense into Barta and steer him in the right direction. I'd rather see Bobby traveling with Barta instead if Mimms.

ya if he can do all that then great, but thats putting alot of faith into some1 who can get players to UT- there is no "Paul Rhoads guarantee"- just seems odd to me e1 is so convinced Forbes is the answer- Hope u all are right tho if he is the hire- cuz we all are sick and tired of Iowa BBall being irrelevant

he got players to Texas A&M with little known coach Billy Gillispie when they were bottom feeders...... He had 3 All Americans out of Barton JUCO....not a hotbed of talent......He recruited TWO nationally ranked classes to Louisiana Tech.... one of those was a top 10 NATIONALLY ranked class.

It has nothing to do with where he is right now....he's done it everywhere he's gone.

mm

It has nothing to do with where he is right now....he's done it everywhere he's gone.

mm

So why isn't he a head coach somewhere if he's this good? Why is he the #3 guy at Tennessee? I don't doubt what you've been saying in support of Forbes all over the message boards (free ones anyway), but if he's this good....shouldn't he be a head coach somewhere?

Latest posts