Poll: Steve Forbes should be hired as the next Iowa coach

Should Steve Forbes be hired as the next Iowa basketball coach

• Yes

Votes: 143 79.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 20.1%

• Total voters
he got players to Texas A&M with little known coach Billy Gillispie when they were bottom feeders...... He had 3 All Americans out of Barton JUCO....not a hotbed of talent......He recruited TWO nationally ranked classes to Louisiana Tech.... one of those was a top 10 NATIONALLY ranked class.

It has nothing to do with where he is right now....he's done it everywhere he's gone.

mm

point taken- if he can do that here then i will jump on that bandwagon too- i'm just a fan, i want to see wins or progress in rebuilding to get to the wins- if it can be done in football here then it certainly can be done in basketball

So why isn't he a head coach somewhere if he's this good? Why is he the #3 guy at Tennessee? I don't doubt what you've been saying in support of Forbes all over the message boards (free ones anyway), but if he's this good....shouldn't he be a head coach somewhere?

that is my hesitation too- well said tiger

You've never held out for the job that you really wanted THG?

It's not like the guy has taken a vow of poverty by being a top assistant in a power conference, he is still making 6 figures. He can afford to be choosy.

But to him, this is everything. He will never leave.

It is concerning that Barta hasn't even contacted him for an interview though. And he has been interviewing Boylen, Wright State's coach (don't know who he is and don't care) and Marshall instead. I guess I don't get how he can just ignore Forbes when the guy is the ONLY coach that clearly WANTS the job and has decent credentials except head coaching experiencing in a BCS conference school.

If Barta fails on this hire not only could he be gone along with this coach but Iowa basketball may remain career suicide and never recover its fanbase or relevancy.

Barta can't interview him now, he is preparing for Tenn. game tomorrow nite. Forbes is the guy I want; I hope we have the patience to wait for him.

he got players to Texas A&M with little known coach Billy Gillispie when they were bottom feeders...... He had 3 All Americans out of Barton JUCO....not a hotbed of talent......He recruited TWO nationally ranked classes to Louisiana Tech.... one of those was a top 10 NATIONALLY ranked class.

It has nothing to do with where he is right now....he's done it everywhere he's gone.

mm

Marc, welcome to the board. I have enjoyed your insight on Steve Forbes here and elsewhere. I hope you can help fan the flames and help us learn more about him.

So why isn't he a head coach somewhere if he's this good? Why is he the #3 guy at Tennessee? I don't doubt what you've been saying in support of Forbes all over the message boards (free ones anyway), but if he's this good....shouldn't he be a head coach somewhere?

He's not the #3 guy at Tenn.... he's as important to that program as any coach on that staff.

This line of thinking.... the "why isn't he a head coach somewhere" is not very insightful.

When you are a top assistant in the nation like Forbes is.... you don't just take any ole job. You wait to make your move when you get the situation that is perfect for you. The path a top assistant takes to the top is as important as his coaching/recruiting ability. Most basketball people understand which jobs are good and are a good fit...while most fans don't.

For example.... on the face of it, DePaul seems like an AMAZING opportunity for some coach connected with Chicago to come in and win BIG..... However, everyone in the basketball business will tell you that the AD at Depaul is WAY TOO INVOLVED in the basketball program and makes it very difficult to win. Additionally, their arena is 45 minutes to 1.5 hours away from campus depending on traffic, so student/fan support isn't what you'd think it should be.

Same with St. Johns.... their compliance department makes it HELL on a head coach to work with AAU programs. That one factor single handedly kills St. John's advantage that comes from being in NYC.

Houston is a great basketball city, but the facilities there are horrible and few coaches want to recruit against Texas and Baylor down the road with the amazing facilities they have.....

SO.... stuff like that matters. Top assistants aren't going to blow their chance by taking a job that isn't perfect FOR THEM.

For Forbes, Iowa is the perfect job for him..... he wouldn't leave UT for anything less.

mm

You've never held out for the job that you really wanted THG?

It's not like the guy has taken a vow of poverty by being a top assistant in a power conference, he is still making 6 figures. He can afford to be choosy.

But to him, this is everything. He will never leave.

Nobody sitting #3 on any bench of any DI school in America thinks they will be hired at any Big Ten school without DI head coaching experience. It doesn't make any sense. None. It's his dream job at my alma mater, a place I love and miss. I just have trouble wrapping my head around this one, and I love people with passion for The University of Iowa.

Your first sentence couldn't be more wrong...

ANY head coach will tell you that they don't want anyone on their bench that doesn't want to be a head coach at a major school

He's not the #3 guy at Tenn.... he's as important to that program as any coach on that staff.

This line of thinking.... the "why isn't he a head coach somewhere" is not very insightful.

mm

Please share another assistant coach at his level that waited for the "right fit" and was hired as a DI head coach in a BCS conference?

Nobody sitting #3 on any bench of any DI school in America thinks they will be hired at any Big Ten school without DI head coaching experience. It doesn't make any sense. None. It's his dream job at my alma mater, a place I love and miss. I just have trouble wrapping my head around this one, and I love people with passion for The University of Iowa.

No offense, but I don't think you have a handle on the reality of the situation..... Forbes isn't "sitting #3" at UT.

mm

Your first sentence couldn't be more wrong...

ANY head coach will tell you that they don't want anyone on their bench that doesn't want to be a head coach at a major school

Of course he wants to, but again.....can anyone name a current head coach, successful in his dread job, that made this kind of jump to a top conference from the position that Forbes currently holds? Please be more specific help me understand this.

Doesn't make sense to Barta. Barta wants the "Kirk Ferentz" of basketball. Problem is he fails to understand basketball and football are different sports!!
To me Forbes would be the KF hire for the BB program. Iowa ties, little to no HC experience at a BCS school, WANTS to be at Iowa, is going to recruit well and hopefully get the most out his players. If hired there is going to be a lot of people out there saying "WHO?"

Why, because I'm a girl? ;-) I've read that he isn't the lead assistant. Is that incorrect?

I had no idea that you were a girl.... but now it makes sense.....:D

You act as if every school has "lead assistants".... that is not true. In fact, many schools don't.

Forbes is just as well paid and important as Tony Jones (UT's associate head coach) and his resume is better.

mm

Tubby Smith
Roy Williams
Frank Martin
Billy Gillispie
Scott Drew

is that enough? That's just off the top of my head

mm

If these guys were not the lead assistants, and were hired to DI schools (I'm too tired to look it up myself so I trust you).......that bodes well for Coach Forbes. I'm not against his hire, it just seems awfully risky to me. The state of Iowa Basketball is very fragile. Thank you for your input.

If these guys were not the lead assistants, and were hired to DI schools (I'm too tired to look it up myself so I trust you).......that bodes well for Coach Forbes. I'm not against his hire, it just seems awfully risky to me. The state of Iowa Basketball is very fragile. Thank you for your input.

Again, the entire fallacy of your post is "lead assistant" as if there is some difference in Tony Jones and Steve Forbes at UT..... having worked with them for their entire time at UT, I can tell you with 100 percent certainty, that it's not accurate.

mm

Latest posts