Poll: Steve Forbes should be hired as the next Iowa coach

Should Steve Forbes be hired as the next Iowa basketball coach

• Yes

Votes: 143 79.9%
  • No

Votes: 36 20.1%

• Total voters
Well, Ferentz was an assistant, then a head coach at a small school, then an assistant again. He coached for a total of 21 years before being named the head coach at Iowa. He came to Iowa at the age of 44, loves it, and wants to stay. Not a lot of people would say he was their number 1 choice for the job.

Forbes was an assistant, then a head coach at a small school, then an assistant again. He has coached for a total of 21 years. He is 44 years old and wants to be at Iowa. Not a lot of people would say he is their number 1 choice for the job.

Kind of eerie, probably just a coincidence, but still...
Good post. I like your thinking. I know Iowa fans will get behind someone who wants to be at Iowa.

Well, the people spoke when they wanted Lick fired. I think that their voice should be heard on who they want hired.

Well, the people spoke when they wanted Lick fired. I think that their voice should be heard on who they want hired.

I agree with this to a point. We are paying customers (or at least I am) and our collective voice should be taken into account. Especially since Barta wants to fill CHA again. But the fans voices can't dictate every move the AD makes, or you just have chaos. Having said that though I whole heartedly hope that he listens to the fan base and hires Forbes.

Interesting poll, especially since the sample size is fairly large, approx 150 votes, with 82+ % favor hiring Forbes. Just maybe this is a good indicator that he is the right guy to bring fans back to Carver Hawkeye and get this program turned around after all.

So why isn't he a head coach somewhere if he's this good? Why is he the #3 guy at Tennessee? I don't doubt what you've been saying in support of Forbes all over the message boards (free ones anyway), but if he's this good....shouldn't he be a head coach somewhere?

I had the same questions. A few quick answers:

1. He's not really #3, He and Tony Jones do different things. Forbes is a solid asst...not some lackey who runs drills at practice. He's the KEY to Tennessee's talent level and how the program has been built under Pearl.

2. Timing is everything...and the right job. Under the "if he's that good, shouldn't he already be a head coach" theory...no asst would ever become head coach. He'd be wise to secure a top asst who's strength is Xs and Os, but that should be no problem with his reputation.

I've been able to talk to some folks offline after Marc Maggard appeared here this morning. His opinions of Forbes have been echoed. He's well known and respected inside college bball. His strengths are exactly the things Iowa desperately needs...a charismatic guy who builds relationships and is one of the best recruiters (top 5 I've been told) in the country.

Maybe NOW is his time. I can't think of a better fit for him than Iowa...and vice versa. An AD with the vision to see this, could hit a homerun that lasts years...a hire much like Kirk Ferentz.

Last edited:
I had the same questions. A few quick answers:

1. He's not really #3, He and Tony Jones do different things. Forbes is a solid asst...not some lackey who runs drills at practice. He's the KEY to Tennessee's talent level and how the program has been built under Pearl.

2. Timing is everything...and the right job. Under the "if he's that good, shouldn't he already be a head coach" theory...no asst would ever become head coach.

I've been able to talk to some folks offline after Marc Maggard appeared here this morning. His opinions of Forbes have been echoed. He's well known and respected inside college bball. His strengths are exactly the things Iowa desperately needs...a charismatic guy who builds relationships and is one of the best recruiters (top 5 I've been told) in the country.

Maybe NOW is his time. I can't think of a better fit for him than Iowa...and vice versa. An AD with the vision to see this, could hit a homerun that lasts years...a hire much like Kirk Ferentz.

Hawkdrummer, do you mean you talked to folks within the administration or just other knowledgeable observers? I am sure Barta is well aware of his recruiting prowess, but it is hard to know how much emphasis he is putting on that

Hawkdrummer, do you mean you talked to folks within the administration or just other knowledgeable observers? I am sure Barta is well aware of his recruiting prowess, but it is hard to know how much emphasis he is putting on that
AND....Iowa is his dream job. Wouldn't take any coaxing or huge offers. Give fair wage full of incentives. Encourage him to bring in energetic staff. Better marketing and atmosphere at Carver. Immediate up-tick in talent and the fans would return quickly.

And I don't know if it would actually happen, but I don't think any coach could energize the fanbase as much as Josh Shelby possibly being in Iowa City. He would be a legit all big 10 player as soon as he steps on campus

Forbes is a great recruiter..

Who has this guy recruited.. please give me a list of names so i can change my opinion of him.. i read all of this talk that this should be our guy and that hes some Messiah on the recruiting trail but i have no idea who he has landed in his time!!!

if the names are solid then im sold

One sportswriter and guy involved w AAU/recruiting insider stuff in SEC/ACC territory. Both asked not to use their names on the chat forums.

Who has this guy recruited.. please give me a list of names so i can change my opinion of him.. i read all of this talk that this should be our guy and that hes some Messiah on the recruiting trail but i have no idea who he has landed in his time!!!

if the names are solid then im sold

Paul Millsap
Scotty Hopson
Josh Selby
Deandre Jordan
Emanuel Negedu
Bobby Maze
Tyler Smith (with Pearl)

Latest posts