Point Guard

Many people including myself thought Moss was the key to the season. I will admit I automatically assumed growth and development from Moss. It has made me apprehensive on Nunge. I can’t say he will just get better. I hope he does, but I just can’t assume it the way I did with Moss.
Bingo. Had Moss developed into a legit second option, we would have been a solid team with JBo and Garza as the next options. Unfortunately he hasn’t and it’s put too much on the plate of Bohannon.

I expected more as well from Moss this year, but I'd also argue that he HAS grown and developed. If you compare last year to this year, his minutes have gone up by 6, his points have gone up by 5, his assists have gone up by 1, his rebounds have gone up .5, his 3 point shooting is up, and his free throw shooting is up.

He hasn't regressed by any measure...he actually has improved from last year. Just maybe not as much as we wanted.
A lot of he numbers you site are due to his non conference slate. His B1G stats are also up, but not quite what we’d hoped for.

its true that spacing, screens, and ball movement can open up an offense, but when your Point Guard is the main ball handler and teams are in his face 30 feet from the basket because they don't fear his dribble penetration, it really slows things down, clogs things up, and leads to a whole bunch of turnovers.
This is the problem^.

Mopkins ya beautiful beast, you basically just reinforced what I've been saying on here til I was blue in the face. 10,000 likes.

Well a pessimist could point out that Moss has had more opportunities to shine in his Sophomore year than Jok or Marble had. Jok was buried behind a ton of guys so not much was asked of him or expected of him.

But yeah....Moss will never be "the man" that some of us thought. He's already overshadowed by Bohannon, and next year he might lose minutes to Wieskamp. At this point he just needs to embrace his role. Score 10+ a game and shoot 40% from 3 point land.

A lot of he numbers you site are due to his non conference slate. His B1G stats are also up, but not quite what we’d hoped for.

True, but there are 7 games left in the season, so its a pretty safe assumption that he's going to finish around where he is now...give or take a point

Maybe it is unfair and I hope I am wrong. This season has made me realize what Moss is. He is a role player on a decent team he is coming off the bench, playing 12 to15 minutes a game. I want to be wrong..... If he is a late bloomer you can be the first one to call me out on it.:)

If Moss starts getting less minutes in the coming years it will mean that Wieskamp is an absolute stud. I'd be fine with that.

Reactions: trj
Then you didn't read anything I posted. Literally. I said, Stockton is a true PG. Everyone wants a true PG and not Jordan cause it's en vogue to say and they heard there buddy say it on twitter. If Iowa had a Stockton people would be railing on him because he can't score and isn't a threat to score and would be saying "Imagine if Iowa had a guy who could keep defenses honest and could shoot from the outside". Ya can't win.

oh and I dunno where you're getting your stats, I get em from sports reference.

Stockton's sophomore year - 39 minutes per game, 5 assists, 3.1 turnovers and 11.2 pts per game in WCAC.
Jordan's sophomore year - 31.5 minutes per game, 5.4 assist, 2.2 turnovers and 14.0 pts per game in B1G.

You are cherry picking stats, those numbers are not deserving of this statement "Stockton didn't have even close to Jordan's #'s". Especially when you consider how much more Jordan shoots it than Stockton and the fact they didn't have a 3 point line back then. Also the difference in minutes per game pretty much voids the turnover margin.

But my gripe with Jordan at the point has nothing to do with his stats, his numbers are fine. It's what I see watching the game, he can't defend a quick point guard and he can't drive to the hoop and finish.

True, but there are 7 games left in the season, so its a pretty safe assumption that he's going to finish around where he is now...give or take a point
I guess the broader point was, when compared to Marble and Jok, those guys both increased or maintained their performance when the competition got tougher in the B1G conference. Moss started from the get go this year and his numbers have somewhat significantly dropped in conference play compared to non conference.

Simply put, Marble and Jok were coming on at this point in their young careers, where Moss appears to be fading a little bit against stronger competition.

You are cherry picking stats, those numbers are not deserving of this statement "Stockton didn't have even close to Jordan's #'s". Especially when you consider how much more Jordan shoots it than Stockton and the fact they didn't have a 3 point line back then. Also the difference in minutes per game pretty much voids the turnover margin.

But my gripe with Jordan at the point has nothing to do with his stats, his numbers are fine. It's what I see watching the game, he can't defend a quick point guard and he can't drive to the hoop and finish.

ok - I get that - i didn't cherry pick anything tho - it's #'s vs #'s. Times were different. Rules different, game was different. And I in fact, wasn't comparing the two to begin with although it's ended up that way. I just said, Stockton is a true PG there aren't many "true PG's" in the game - it's an over used word. Jordan is PG - he's playing PG in the B1G. His weakness is defense, but his strength is assists and scoring. I think basically what everyone is saying is "Iowa needs an All American PG" ...and to that, I agree.

ok - I get that - i didn't cherry pick anything tho - it's #'s vs #'s. Times were different. Rules different, game was different. And I in fact, wasn't comparing the two to begin with although it's ended up that way. I just said, Stockton is a true PG there aren't many "true PG's" in the game - it's an over used word. Jordan is PG - he's playing PG in the B1G. His weakness is defense, but his strength is assists and scoring. I think basically what everyone is saying is "Iowa needs an All American PG" ...and to that, I agree.

I'm not looking for an "All American PG", just give me one that is quick, can bring the ball down, and can stop the opposing point off the dribble. JB's can score and, you are right, he does make good passes that result in assists but he can just as easily do all of those things from the SG position.

I'm not looking for an "All American PG", just give me one that is quick, can bring the ball down, and can stop the opposing point off the dribble. JB's can score and, you are right, he does make good passes that result in assists but he can just as easily do all of those things from the SG position.

He can also defend just as poorly from the SG position. If you had the point guard you just suggested, that wouldn't necessarily make the team better because you would

A lose the things Bohannon is good at

Or

B Have the All American point guard you say you don't need.

Just read the Leistikow article about Bohannon. Sounds like his foot has been a pretty major deal this year. He was the one guy we couldn't have get hurt this year and now we see why.

Don't back peddle. Stick with Bohannon > Stockton. It's a good look on you.

Just read the Leistikow article about Bohannon. Sounds like his foot has been a pretty major deal this year. He was the one guy we couldn't have get hurt this year and now we see why.
Foot injuries suck in endurance sports. He seems to be moving better the last 2 or 3 games. Maybe it's getting better.

He can also defend just as poorly from the SG position. If you had the point guard you just suggested, that wouldn't necessarily make the team better because you would

A lose the things Bohannon is good at

Or

B Have the All American point guard you say you don't need.

I didn't say we didn't NEED one.

Wow, after the season we are having and the CLEAR evidence to what the problems are I can't believe some of you STILL defend JB as a point guard.

He was and he is.
Hahahahaha!

Player A plays in Missouri valley:

16/17: 3.7 PPG / 1.5 Ast / 1.2 TOs / 28.9 % FG / 18.8% 3p%

17/18: 7.0 PPG / 2.6 Ast / 1.7 TOs / 35.0% FG / 25.4% 3p%

Player B plays in the B1G:

16/17: 10.9 PPG / 5.1 Ast / 2.2 TOs / 38.8% FG / 41.6% 3p%

17/18: 14.0 PPG / 5.4 Ast / 2.1 TOs / 43.2% FG / 43.7% 3p%

According to the all wise Lighting1, player A is the better PG.

Hahahahaha!

Player A plays in Missouri valley:

16/17: 3.7 PPG / 1.5 Ast / 1.2 TOs / 28.9 % FG / 18.8% 3p%

17/18: 7.0 PPG / 2.6 Ast / 1.7 TOs / 35.0% FG / 25.4% 3p%

Player B plays in the B1G:

16/17: 10.9 PPG / 5.1 Ast / 2.2 TOs / 38.8% FG / 41.6% 3p%

17/18: 14.0 PPG / 5.4 Ast / 2.1 TOs / 43.2% FG / 43.7% 3p%

According to the all wise Lighting1, player A is the better PG.
Player B is a 2G.
Player A, leads a team with the 67th toughest schedule in D-1. His team is 11-13
Player B, leads a team with the 68th toughest schedule in D-1. His team is 12-12
Stats are........cute.

Last edited:
I didn't say we didn't NEED one.

Wow, after the season we are having and the CLEAR evidence to what the problems are I can't believe some of you STILL defend JB as a point guard.

Well considering our offense is pretty good and he's one of the main reasons why, I'd say he's doing the point guard duties pretty well. His problem, along with the rest of the team, is defense? Is Cook not a true 4 becasue he sucks at defense?

Latest posts