Point Guard

Player B is a 2G.
Player A, leads a team with the 67th toughest schedule in D-1. His team is 11-13
Player B, leads a team with the 68th toughest schedule in D-1. His team is 12-12
Stats are........cute.
Player B plays PG for his team and is doing twice the job of it as player A. Time to admit defeat and move on.

Well considering our offense is pretty good and he's one of the main reasons why, I'd say he's doing the point guard duties pretty well. His problem, along with the rest of the team, is defense? Is Cook not a true 4 becasue he sucks at defense?

Whelp, can't argue that logic.

Non JB homers can see that when you cannot defend the opposing teams point guard it breaks down everything you try to do defensively.

But I'm done with this, you JB homers believe what you want.

Non JB homers can see that when you cannot defend the opposing teams point guard it breaks down everything you try to do defensively.

It is not about being a homer. Speaking for myself I believe JBO at the point is the least of their problems. JBO shouldn’t be the scapegoat for this dreadful season .

You're both correct. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game. JBo is an above avg to very good offensive threat, good passer, and elite shooter. He's a very good niche point/2 guard hybrid that is a avg to below avg on-man defender that need to have good team defensive support(which he does not).

If he had a 2 and 3 that were aggressive scoring threats, Jbo would be just fine at the point(on the offensive side), and likely would be a killer for the kick out 3(which we almost never do).

As it is, we have 2s and 3s that are not aggressive and seem scared to take shots.

Jbo is not elite, but he's far from the issue.

You're both correct. It doesn't have to be a zero sum game. JBo is an above avg to very good offensive threat, good passer, and elite shooter. He's a very good niche point/2 guard hybrid that is a avg to below avg on-man defender that need to have good team defensive support(which he does not).

If he had a 2 and 3 that were aggressive scoring threats, Jbo would be just fine at the point(on the offensive side), and likely would be a killer for the kick out 3(which we almost never do).

As it is, we have 2s and 3s that are not aggressive and seem scared to take shots.

Everyone is acting as if putting CM at the point and sliding JBO to the 2 guard solves everything. The only way it works is if the offense becomes so good and so efficient that they just simply outscore people. Think Iowa State under Hoiberg, they didn’t put much emphasis on defense because they knew they could score with anybody. If CM at the point becomes like that then sign me up. Otherwise the issues you have now will remain no matter if JBo is the point or not.

Everyone is acting as if putting CM at the point and sliding JBO to the 2 guard solves everything. The only way it works is if the offense becomes so good and so efficient that they just simply outscore people. Think Iowa State under Hoiberg, they didn’t put much emphasis on defense because they knew they could score with anybody. If CM at the point becomes like that then sign me up. Otherwise the issues you have now will remain no matter if JBo is the point or not.

I'm not sure anyone has seen enough of CM to feel one way or another. I simply think Jbo is being asked to be more than what's reasonable, and outside of Cook on the offensive side, he's not getting consistent help. JBo struggles offensively , for whatever reason, and last night happens. That proves he's a huge piece for this team.

Reactions: trj
I think it's dumb to say someone isn't a true point guard becasue they can't guard point guards very well. He can't guard 2 guards very well either so how is he a 2? Also Jok sucked at guarding 2s so he wasn't a shooting guard I guess.
I’ve heard Coach Cal at Kentucky say if you can’t guard a position you can’t play that position .

I'm not sure anyone has seen enough of CM to feel one way or another. I simply think Jbo is being asked to be more than what's reasonable, and outside of Cook on the offensive side, he's not getting consistent help. JBo struggles offensively , for whatever reason, and last night happens. That proves he's a huge piece for this team.

Agreed. As others have pointed out, there is simply too much on his plate right now.

Well a pessimist could point out that Moss has had more opportunities to shine in his Sophomore year than Jok or Marble had. Jok was buried behind a ton of guys so not much was asked of him or expected of him.

But yeah....Moss will never be "the man" that some of us thought. He's already overshadowed by Bohannon, and next year he might lose minutes to Wieskamp. At this point he just needs to embrace his role. Score 10+ a game and shoot 40% from 3 point land.
Might lose minutes??? If JW doesn’t beat out Moss for the 2 spot next year from day one this board will melt down. Deservingly so

He spends most of the time dribbling the ball up court, passing it off and then playing off the ball. That's not really what a PG usually does.

I'm telling you guys the same thing I've been telling you since Connor first committed to play at Iowa. Connor is going to play PG next year. He's going to start and be responsible for setting up the offense at the top of the key. Bohannon is going to play 2G in this offense, next year.

I’ve heard Coach Cal at Kentucky say if you can’t guard a position you can’t play that position .

But Bohannon can't guard any position. Just like Cook can't. But you don't hear people say Cook isn't a true 4. He's a true 4 that can't guard other 4s, or 5s, or 3s.

Latest posts