Playing out of position

Back on topic - I agree that we need to get players in the right positions and having a 3 who's actually a 3 in JW is going to be a huge upgrade and even if he's an average defender, he will be able to guard most 3's instead of having 4's guard 3's. Having Connor play back up PG is a huge upgrade over forcing BE to do it, or having Dailey do it, who's more of a 2/3. Wagner leaving, also makes it so there is more playing time for 4's and 5's who deserve it and they will also be playing "more in position"... So far for people wanting Iowa to make a big jump next season, everything's coming up Milhouse IMO.

29-times-everything-was-coming-up-milhouse-2-22695-1417182938-15_dblbig.jpg

Back on topic - I agree that we need to get players in the right positions and having a 3 who's actually a 3 in JW is going to be a huge upgrade and even if he's an average defender, he will be able to guard most 3's instead of having 4's guard 3's. Having Connor play back up PG is a huge upgrade over forcing BE to do it, or having Dailey do it, who's more of a 2/3. Wagner leaving, also makes it so there is more playing time for 4's and 5's who deserve it and they will also be playing "more in position"... So far for people wanting Iowa to make a big jump next season, everything's coming up Milhouse IMO.

There is no way of saying this without coming off bashing some players. I hate doing that, those kids worked hard, and tried to do what the team asked them to do. Yet I think the bottom line is this team is going to be better with Ellingson and Wagner moving on. It will only get better though if Fran can actually bring in players who are better than Ellingson and Wagner, so hopefully Fran can do that.

I think one more roster spot needs to open up and this roster construction can get back on track. I think we need one of either Pemsl or Kriener to move on. We simply don't need both of them, and need more guards/wings on this roster. Of course this is assuming that Cook stays, because if he does, this roster construction already looks 100% better if it were like this:

PG/Combo G: JBo, Conner, + Grad Transfer
Wings: Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, CJ
PF: Cook, Nunge, Baer
C: Garza, (Pemsl or Kriener)

Give Conner a scholarship, we don't need 14 kids (plus then Fran can't keep playing players who probably don't deserve the minutes). The 13th scholarship could go to another PF/C type if needed, or even another wing.

I’m really excited for Joe. I think he will be a huge upgrade for this team. To play devils advocate though, what if Fran views him as a 2 and wants to keep Nunge at the 3?

Calling Connor a huge upgrade is a stretch. Would he help us some offensively at PG? Probably some. But offense really wasn’t our issue anyway, so can he help us with defense? I’m not sure. I’ve maintained since day one he’s a mid major player, I know that’s not a popular opinion, but that’s how I see him until I see otherwise.

Wagner I’m not sure. He didn’t play much but I think he spent just as much time at the 3 as he did the 4. Hopefully Fran will move Nunge back down to the 4, and then he will have to make a decision between Pemsl and Kriener, but I’m not sure the Wagner departure does much there.

I’m really excited for Joe. I think he will be a huge upgrade for this team. To play devils advocate though, what if Fran views him as a 2 and wants to keep Nunge at the 3?

Calling Connor a huge upgrade is a stretch. Would he help us some offensively at PG? Probably some. But offense really wasn’t our issue anyway, so can he help us with defense? I’m not sure. I’ve maintained since day one he’s a mid major player, I know that’s not a popular opinion, but that’s how I see him until I see otherwise.

Wagner I’m not sure. He didn’t play much but I think he spent just as much time at the 3 as he did the 4. Hopefully Fran will move Nunge back down to the 4, and then he will have to make a decision between Pemsl and Kriener, but I’m not sure the Wagner departure does much there.

How is Connor not a huge upgrade from our back up PG from last season?

Interesting. Who were you fighting with that you thought was me? Do you think @lightning1 is an alt of mine now?

No, I never thought that. At times, it is true as you do have a multiplicity of identities. Not this one. I'd hardly call if a fight.

I hated to see CW slip away as he was the fastest/quickest Hawk. He would be my choice over CM any day and we disagreed. I didn't think he was ever a fit, but compared to some that we have/had, he had potential based on speed. Coaching up isn't something Fran is consistent about doing.

Iowa's ability to transition well with slow players comes at a cost on the D end.

I would be perfectly fine with CM being on the team if we had a legit Pt Guard. The fact that we don't is pretty indicative of the plan. This isn't going to end well.

There is no way of saying this without coming off bashing some players. I hate doing that, those kids worked hard, and tried to do what the team asked them to do. Yet I think the bottom line is this team is going to be better with Ellingson and Wagner moving on. It will only get better though if Fran can actually bring in players who are better than Ellingson and Wagner, so hopefully Fran can do that.

I think one more roster spot needs to open up and this roster construction can get back on track. I think we need one of either Pemsl or Kriener to move on. We simply don't need both of them, and need more guards/wings on this roster. Of course this is assuming that Cook stays, because if he does, this roster construction already looks 100% better if it were like this:

PG/Combo G: JBo, Conner, + Grad Transfer
Wings: Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, CJ
PF: Cook, Nunge, Baer
C: Garza, (Pemsl or Kriener)

Give Conner a scholarship, we don't need 14 kids (plus then Fran can't keep playing players who probably don't deserve the minutes). The 13th scholarship could go to another PF/C type if needed, or even another wing.
I agree with the majority of this. In a perfect world I wish either Kriener or Pemsl would have been the one to leave over Wagner, but I’m happy for Ahmad.

I think the hope is that we go get some guard help. I think it’s possible but I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as some think. There is a lot of demand at this time of the year and maybe not enough supply. But in any event I don’t see us bringing on two new guys that are going to be instant impact guys, so I’m fine giving Cmac a scholly as you said.

How is Connor not a huge upgrade from our back up PG from last season?
After getting his feet wet, Dailey did an okay job. Assist to turn of about 1.9. Shoots the 3 I think at a much better clip than Cmac will and is quicker. Again offense wasn’t really an issue, it will come down to defense and I’m not sure Cmac is the answer.

You guys feel more strongly about Cmac than I do. I think he’s considered a PG because he’s not a good enough shooter or scorer to play the wing spots. I hope I’m wrong.

I’m any event JBo has played big minutes at the 1 the last two years, so at best Cmac would play what 15 minutes or so, I’m not sure that’s a Huge upgrade, even if Dailey isn’t a natural PG.

After getting his feet wet, Dailey did an okay job. Assist to turn of about 1.9. Shoots the 3 I think at a much better clip than Cmac will and is quicker. Again offense wasn’t really an issue, it will come down to defense and I’m not sure Cmac is the answer.

You guys feel more strongly about Cmac than I do. I think he’s considered a PG because he’s not a good enough shooter or scorer to play the wing spots. I hope I’m wrong.

I’m any event JBo has played big minutes at the 1 the last two years, so at best Cmac would play what 15 minutes or so, I’m not sure that’s a Huge upgrade, even if Dailey isn’t a natural PG.

Dailey struggled all season ball handling, command of the offense, getting the offense set and spacing needed to play PG. He had extreme difficulty feeding the post, or making anything other then a basic pass. He got the ball up better as the season progressed, but his only option at the top of the key was to get rid of the ball as quickly as he could. I don't fault him for that, he was thrust into the situation. Connor, may be as limited as you are making him out to be, but I am confident that he can run Fran's offense more efficiently then Dailey learning on the fly or Brady Ellingson. Those were our back up PG's this season. Connor is an immediate upgrade from that regardless of his limitations.

No, I never thought that. At times, it is true as you do have a multiplicity of identities. Not this one. I'd hardly call if a fight.

I hated to see CW slip away as he was the fastest/quickest Hawk. He would be my choice over CM any day and we disagreed. I didn't think he was ever a fit, but compared to some that we have/had, he had potential based on speed. Coaching up isn't something Fran is consistent about doing.

Iowa's ability to transition well with slow players comes at a cost on the D end.

I would be perfectly fine with CM being on the team if we had a legit Pt Guard. The fact that we don't is pretty indicative of the plan. This isn't going to end well.

I have never had an Alt here, and never will. The question is, who were you previously?

CW had far more upside.

You do know where CW transferred to right?
Dailey struggled all season ball handling, command of the offense, getting the offense set and spacing needed to play PG. He had extreme difficulty feeding the post, or making anything other then a basic pass. He got the ball up better as the season progressed, but his only option at the top of the key was to get rid of the ball as quickly as he could. I don't fault him for that, he was thrust into the situation. Connor, may be as limited as you are making him out to be, but I am confident that he can run Fran's offense more efficiently then Dailey learning on the fly or Brady Ellingson. Those were our back up PG's this season. Connor is an immediate upgrade from that regardless of his limitations.

Dailey had the 5th lowest turnover percentage on the team barely behind Jordan. Connor had the worst turnover percentage on the team by far but that isn't really fair due to his sample size.

Again those are all offensive things which wasn’t really our issue. Is it possible/likely that Connor is a worse perimeter defender than Dailey?

Here’s how I view it. Dailey better shooter and more athletic. Connor better passer and BB IQ, likely slightly worse defender. Round it all up and maybe a slight lean for Connor at PG. Certainly not a huge upgrade.

Again those are all offensive things which wasn’t really our issue. Is it possible/likely that Connor is a worse perimeter defender than Dailey?

Here’s how I view it. Dailey better shooter and more athletic. Connor better passer and BB IQ, likely slightly worse defender. Round it all up and maybe a slight lean for Connor at PG. Certainly not a huge upgrade.

It allows Jordan to rest and another capable ball handler - so he could play the 2. One of Iowa's biggest issues this season was turnovers. Live ball turnovers. A lot by Jordan because it was ALL on him. Every game. Wear him out, pressure the ball all the way up - create panic in the flow of our offense the minute the ball came in bounds. We didn't have confident ball handlers. You can't tell me Conner's D in spot minutes would be worse then Jordans? We'll just have to disagree. It's a huge upgrade at the 1 from a back up stand point and allows Jordan, Dailey and Moss to all play the 2 more minutes which is their better suited positions. It literally helps every where

I have never had an Alt here, and never will. The question is, who were you previously?

Right Dean, you have several. Me? I have nothing to hide. I came here wanting to discuss the Hawks with a penchant toward HF an LO. I was on what ever the Press Citizen was for awhile, but not a lot.Can't remember what that was, but remember the person pretending to be Kevin Kunnert. He had a few going for awhile.

We've been this route before. You eventually get nasty and insult people and you get nastier for awhile when people push back.

If you are paying attention, most of my arguments when they happen are when:

Posters build up KF by tearing down HF

Tearing up players especially when they leave or aren't doing well.

Tearing up other posters for no good reason other than having a different opinion (seems like it's you a lot).

I'm not a KF fan and never will be. I think he's a bully at times (like you) except he's passive aggressive. I will acknowledge he can be a darn good coach when he doesn't get in the way of himself with being stubborn.

I'm not a Fran fan and think he's out right abusive. I in no way shape or form think very much of his coaching ability and think this will end very badly.

You actually have some pretty good things to say until you go on tantrums when someone disagrees.

When you posted about giving up a conference title for a sweet 16 or something like that I was simply giving you a little nudge. You nudged back a bit and I laughed and thought it was funny. Then you brought out the insults after a relative small push back. That's pretty much it.

I admit, I did poke you with a stick a bit. Was wanting to see if you'd changed. Frankly, yes you have. Nice job.

I wouldn't give up a big Championship for a Sweet 16. VA losing the 6th man on a team that has a short bench probably should have kept them out of a traditional 1 Seed.

You do know where CW transferred to right?

Dailey had the 5th lowest turnover percentage on the team barely behind Jordan. Connor had the worst turnover percentage on the team by far but that isn't really fair due to his sample size.

And those #'s are right, but why you can't just use stats. Watch the game. Dailey was flustered every time at the top of the key with the ball, even when not pressured. With no clue where to get it to a scorer or how to do go about it- he did improve as the season went on, but he also never played over 30 minutes in 1 game this season and only over 20 in like 10. If he is such the ball handler you make him out to be, he would have been on the floor more because Iowa needed those. We all realize that Iowa was like 221st in TO per game this season and I think maybe the worst of any P5 teams right?

or to word my response like you would word it to anyone who said what you just said. "Daily had the 5th lowest turnover percentage on a team that ranked 221 in turnover's per game haha"

It allows Jordan to rest and another capable ball handler - so he could play the 2. One of Iowa's biggest issues this season was turnovers. Live ball turnovers. A lot by Jordan because it was ALL on him. Every game. Wear him out, pressure the ball all the way up - create panic in the flow of our offense the minute the ball came in bounds. We didn't have confident ball handlers. You can't tell me Conner's D in spot minutes would be worse then Jordans? We'll just have to disagree. It's a huge upgrade at the 1 from a back up stand point and allows Jordan, Dailey and Moss to all play the 2 more minutes which is their better suited positions. It literally helps every where
I like what you said about taking pressure off Jordan, that will definitely be helpful, and Fran didn’t have a ton of faith in Dailey to do it. Maybe Connor can be that guy, I just don’t see it.

FWIW, in Connor’s only game against a P5 opponent (Colorado) he had 3 turnovers in 12 minutes.

I like what you said about taking pressure off Jordan, that will definitely be helpful, and Fran didn’t have a ton of faith in Dailey to do it. Maybe Connor can be that guy, I just don’t see it.

FWIW, in Connor’s only game against a P5 opponent (Colorado) he had 3 turnovers in 12 minutes.

Oh his 4th game of his freshman season coming off injury and being sick. I think we can clearly all cast that he's obviously better suited for Valley.

Oh and FWIW, kind of like that pointless stat about his 4th game of his career. That was probably one of Iowa's best wins of the year and Jordan scored 14, played less minutes and only hit 1 3 pointer.

Latest posts