Playing out of position

I absolutely DO want defense. The difference is that I understand Tyler Cook has been playing his man and every man that Bohannon, Moss and Baer allow to drive past them to the hoop. Our defensive problems start with the guards. It damn sure doesn't start in the post. Anyone that thinks otherwise, doesn't know what they are talking about. Replace Bohannon, Moss and Baer with legit BIG guards that know how to defend, then see how well Cook and Garza do defending the post. It's a guard's game. And the guards have to defend or your team won't go very far.
I think you are vastly overrating Cook as a defensive player. Are those guys in front of him bad? Absolutely, but Cook’s helpside defense borders on atrocious.

It’s not Cook’s fault that he is a 5 being asked to play the 4. He can guard true posts okay but he just couldn’t keep up with a majority of B1G 4s. You should rewatch the Nebraska game, he got abused on the defensive end by Copeland who could drive by him or hit a 3 if he didn’t come out. Cook had a good game on the other end with 24 points, but it took him 18 shots to get there, Copeland had 23 on 11 shots. See the difference?

Cook is our best overall player by a mile so if you don't think losing him would be a huge blow for next year you need to seek professional help.

I think you are vastly overrating Cook as a defensive player. Are those guys in front of him bad? Absolutely, but Cook’s helpside defense borders on atrocious.

It’s not Cook’s fault that he is a 5 being asked to play the 4. He can guard true posts okay but he just couldn’t keep up with a majority of B1G 4s. You should rewatch the Nebraska game, he got abused on the defensive end by Copeland who could drive by him or hit a 3 if he didn’t come out. Cook had a good game on the other end with 24 points, but it took him 18 shots to get there, Copeland had 23 on 11 shots. See the difference?
No. I'm not over rating it. I honestly have no idea how bad or good his post defense is. How could anyone get a real grip on it with the human turn styles that we have at the 1, 2 and the 3? We gave up 3X as many points at the 1 thru 3 spots as we did any other spot on the floor. Look it up.

No. I'm not over rating it. I honestly have no idea how bad or good his post defense is. How could anyone get a real grip on it with the human turn styles that we have at the 1, 2 and the 3? We gave up 3X as many points at the 1 thru 3 spots as we did any other spot on the floor. Look it up.
What I’m saying is most 4 men in the B1G and across the country in general aren’t true posts. They are perimeter players with some size. Again it’s not Cook’s fault that he and Garza are 5s and arguably our two best players. I’ve seen what happens when he tries to guard 4s on the perimeter and its not pretty, which is why he needs to play the 5 more. In regards to help defense though, he is very very bad.

It is a guard's game, therefore you actually have to play 3 guards which Baer nor Nunge is not. Baer played the 4 in two years prior when he had good years. He can get to the basket, and Nunge is definitely a more favorable matchup. He shoots better and with his length can get to the rim and post up defenders. He can get to the basket and he protects the rim. I would much rather Nunge and Baer guarding Vince Edwards than Cook. Why if Cook leaves do we automatically just need to come up with 15 ppg player? Garza could average 15 ppg as a SO next year, especially if cook leaves, because he would have more space. If we expect to just reload with 15 ppg players you're in the wrong fanbase. Players have to step up and make improvements. Defense is a team effort, you have to have all 5 players on the same page, ask UNI. You have to have big men that have good help side defense when guards get beat. I do agree that the guards can't get beat as much, but moving baer and nunge to the 4 will solve that a little already with Dailey and Wieskamp stepping into that 3 spot. I've seen Bohannon play winnable defense, not all defensive team, but he can suffice on the defensive side. We've seen Moss be good at defense (see Iowa State game against Monte Morris in 2017). A starting lineup of Bohannon/Moss/Dailey/Nunge/Garza would absolutely be a better defensive unit than the starting lineup this year. Nicholas Baer has shot 40% from 3 every year except this last year so to say he's a poor 3 pt shooter would not factual. Nunge shot 40+% in HS and shot 33% better than any other 4 man we put on the floor this year. Yes they are very much in "STRETCH" 4 man than we have had. Cook is a very good basketball player, but he's a 5 man's game trying to play the 4, unless he can stretch the defense ou to the 3 pt line.

Care to answer the question? When was the last PF at Iowa to avg 15 PPG as a SO. It's not a difficult question.
If you consider Settles a power forward, he's it. And that was a long time ago. He actually did it his freshman year, too. The question is, would he be considered a power forward today? Probably not, he'd be a three.

If our guards can't keep people in front of them, and they mostly can't, then why don't we use our one Trump card to our advantage? Even with Wagner departed, we have six or seven bodies we can rotate down in the paint and more fouls to use up than we could possibly administer. Use them. It would be better than uncontested layups and poster dunks. Like I've said in the past, if someone tried to get too cute in Eddie Horton's lane he would have blasted him into the popcorn stand.

What I’m saying is most 4 men in the B1G and across the country in general aren’t true posts. They are perimeter players with some size. Again it’s not Cook’s fault that he and Garza are 5s and arguably our two best players. I’ve seen what happens when he tries to guard 4s on the perimeter and its not pretty, which is why he needs to play the 5 more. In regards to help defense though, he is very very bad.
I can live with Cook guarding 4s on the perimeter. I can't live with Cook guarding his man and Bohannon's man and Moss's man and Baer's man, etc.

If you consider Settles a power forward, he's it. And that was a long time ago. He actually did it his freshman year, too. The question is, would he be considered a power forward today? Probably not, he'd be a three.
Who couldn't beat anyone off the dribble. Below avg 3pt shooter.

Who couldn't beat anyone off the dribble. Below avg 3pt shooter.
You're correct there. I was just providing a factual answer to your question, regardless of what he couldn't do. And I left it very open ended as to whether he was even a power forward in the first place.

The role of the big man and the three point shot was still evolving in the mid nineties when Settles played (and the late nineties, and seemingly every year in the decade but that's another story). I remember Iowa State having a big guy named Julius Michalik who could stroke it. Matt Bullard evolved into that guy in the NBA, but didn't shoot a lot of them at Iowa. I got a feeling he could have, but he came along even before Settles. Sorry, getting long winded and off topic here. Just got back from six days of drinking Rum and Coke and Pina Coladas at an all inclusive Cancun resort where it was eighty five degrees every day and the Caribbean Sea was about 200 yards from my hotel room.

Last edited:
To which the appropriate question is: Why are you giving minutes to players without the ability it takes to defend at the BIG level? If I'm on that team, I want to know why the coach is giving scholarships and starters minutes to players that don't have the "ability" it takes.
These are the situations that cause players to transfer (C Williams) without much notice. Players to question their teammates and coaches. General dissent. The kind of dissent that can take a team with expectations, crumble from the inside out.

"Ability" is a relative term. I assume you're talking Bohannon here. So let's say Dailey is questioning why Bohannon gets starter minutes without having the "ability" to play defense. Well that's dumb because Dailey doesn't have the "ability" to play offense (meaning not as well as Bohannon can). So if he's not putting in max effort on the one end he's better at, why should he play more?

I just used Dailey's name as an example. Point is, some players are better at one end of the court than the other. That's why they play. But not giving max effort shouldn't be acceptable. Which is a point I thought you were arguing too.

"Ability" is a relative term. I assume you're talking Bohannon here. So let's say Dailey is questioning why Bohannon gets starter minutes without having the "ability" to play defense. Well that's dumb because Dailey doesn't have the "ability" to play offense (meaning not as well as Bohannon can). So if he's not putting in max effort on the one end he's better at, why should he play more?

I just used Dailey's name as an example. Point is, some players are better at one end of the court than the other. That's why they play. But not giving max effort shouldn't be acceptable. Which is a point I thought you were arguing too.
I'm saying anyone on the team has the right to ask that question. Not just the players that play the same position. And Bohannon doesn't give maximum effort on defense. So, he doesn't have the want to play defense or the ability. And he plays the most minutes on the team. How do you think that sits with the rest of the players?

I'm saying anyone on the team has the right to ask that question. Not just the players that play the same position. And Bohannon doesn't give maximum effort on defense. So, he doesn't have the want to play defense or the ability. And he plays the most minutes on the team. How do you think that sits with the rest of the players?

Well it either sits really bad and Bohannon is the sole reason our team lacks effort, or it doesn't matter to any of them because they don't try either. No idea which one.

Well it either sits really bad and Bohannon is the sole reason our team lacks effort, or it doesn't matter to any of them because they don't try either. No idea which one.
Fran is the reason the team lacks effort. That's the beginning and the end of it.

Maybe. But his other teams showed effort fine .
It's really simple. You can't coach effort. You play it. You sit the guys that lack effort. That's the coach's creed. If his other teams showed effort, it's because those particular players chose to give it. Google "can't coach effort" and see how much info comes up.

Latest posts