Playing out of position

I don't think Fran could get good point guards to come to Iowa with Connor committed. That's my honest opinion and it's not really Fran's fault. It's not like his kids are scrubs. I know if I was recruiting a PG against Fran, I'd absolutely use it as a tool to convince the recruit that Fran will play his son over said recruit. And I'd have a valid argument. According to sources in the program, Christian Williams was getting 3rd team practice reps at PG, with Connor getting 2nd steam reps. CW had put 2 years into the program and was bumped by the coach's kid. And rightly so, IMO, because I believe Connor is the better player. But every coach will use that against Fran for the next 4 years, when recruiting for players in Connor's or Patrick's positions.

CW had far more upside.

You dont understand speed.
Speed doesn't mean jack shit if you have no basketball IQ. Basketball is a skills game. I can name 100 great college basketball players that didn't have real speed. I coached a kid that ran a 10.9 split in the 4x100 as a soph in high school. Best pure athlete I have ever coached. Absolute turnover machine on the basketball court. Couldn't use his off hand but quick enough to beat almost anyone off the dribble. Which was nice until he took the ball past the perimeter defender and drove it into the 2 big defenders in the paint for a turnover. Liked to shoot from about 2 ft beyond his effective range too. Not coachable. Not a good basketball player. Great athlete.
CW wasn't all that great an athlete and his basketball skill set was not D-1 material.

Speed doesn't mean jack shit if you have no basketball IQ. Basketball is a skills game. I can name 100 great college basketball players that didn't have real speed. I coached a kid that ran a 10.9 split in the 4x100 as a soph in high school. Best pure athlete I have ever coached. Absolute turnover machine on the basketball court. Couldn't use his off hand but quick enough to beat almost anyone off the dribble. Which was nice until he took the ball past the perimeter defender and drove it into the 2 big defenders in the paint for a turnover. Liked to shoot from about 2 ft beyond his effective range too. Not coachable. Not a good basketball player. Great athlete.
CW wasn't all that great an athlete and his basketball skill set was not D-1 material.

By your admission CW is not a great athlete. How can you win the Big without a great athlete? CM is less athletic. Basketball iq doesnt mean anything if you cant do much with it. The Hawks cant play D already without a pg that can. The are terrible in half court. CW at least could play D and create some O with speed.

Never once said CW was Big material. CM is not Big pg material and maybe not 2 or 3.

Arguing who is worse is a waste. If CM is pg we are in serious trouble. If CM is a starter wo major upgrades in other positions we are in serious trouble. If you understand speed that should be obvious.

We won 4 games against bottom teams and got blown out by the last place team and had no good wins. None.

FM didnt keep of the few who at least had Big speed. What we do have is 2 partially very good players. They need real support.

CW came from such a small school that he was the game. CM does have more advatage there. FM was never going to develop CW. At least CW gave a view of speed in practice.

A lot miss that Iowas main advatage was transition but to do that with turtles means you are giving up some deep 3s or the perimeter pass to the inside and closing on the perimeter.

Last edited:
By your admission CW is not a great athlete. How can you win the Big without a great athlete? CM is less athletic. Basketball iq doesnt mean anything if you cant do much with it. The Hawks cant play D already without a pg that can. The are terrible in half court. CW at least could play D and create some O with speed.

Never once said CW was Big material. CM is not Big pg material and maybe not 2 or 3.

Arguing who is worse is a waste. If CM is pg we are in serious trouble. If CM is a starter wo major upgrades in other positions we are in serious trouble. If you understand speed that should be obvious.

We won 4 games against bottom teams and got blown out by the last place team and had no good wins. None.

FM didnt keep of the few who at least had Big speed. What we do have is 2 partially very good players. They need real support.
If that's what you got from my post.....we're done here.

200.gif

Latest posts