Player Predictions

McCabe was in at the end of games a lot over Uthoff. He was also in before him a lot. At least at the beginning of the year.

Debatable.

There were some injuries & suspensions in there but as far as PGs in the Big 10 I got:
1. Yogi
2. Melo
3. Koenig
4. Walton
5. Mason
6. Garner / MG / Maybe Lyle in terms of talent.

On top of that I believe the all conference does not require a PG and is really broken down as just guards and forwards. Some would argue that MG was the 3rd best guard on his team. Anyways take the aforementioned PGs plus:

Jok, Forbes, Sulaimon, Valentine, Nunn and others. (This doesn't include a few wing players that I would rank above MG).

By no way was MG a shoe in all conference player this year, I have to imagine Fran politicked pretty hard for MG, as he was a four year senior starter.

In regards to your stats argument. Here are a couple ways CW can outplay MG in a non statistical (sort of) way.

1. Show the willingness and ability to knock down threes. He doesn't have to shoot 40%, but if he can make defenders respect his shot, it will open up the floor for other players to operate.

2. Make the tough clutch plays down the stretch to help his team win games. Quite frankly, MG was one of the most unclutch basketball players I've ever seen.

3. I think his size and length will put pressure on opposing teams, in ways MG could not. I'm not sure if we will see him post up smaller guards, but it's probably worth a shot.
This is spot on with my opinion so it must be right.

You also think CW could be a 12 ppg player because Gesell and Sapp raved about his abilities when they said the same thing about Fleming before the season started.

Yes. That along with the amount of PT I expect him to get and what I've seen from his game time last year, I think 12 is possible. I think I've made that pretty clear.

You estimated that he would average 8 PPG, but find 12 PPG wildly unimaginable.

Yes. That along with the amount of PT I expect him to get and what I've seen from his game time last year, I think 12 is possible. I think I've made that pretty clear.

You estimated that he would average 8 PPG, but find 12 PPG wildly unimaginable.

I never estimated he would average 8ppg. I think he'll be around 5-6ppg

I never estimated he would average 8ppg. I think he'll be around 5-6ppg
Who the heck do you think is going to score points next year? Fran runs an up tempo team so if our starting point guard who has a true freshman backup can only score 5-6 per game, we might be back to Lick scores. Watching an up tempo team score 40 is going to be interesting.

You have to understand, Mike couldn't shoot for crap or finish at the rim so he quit trying and still scored 8. He is probably a better player on the parts of the game that stats don't show, but matching his stats won't be a big feat. Other than assists of course.

Who the heck do you think is going to score points next year? Fran runs an up tempo team so if our starting point guard who has a true freshman backup can only score 5-6 per game, we might be back to Lick scores. Watching an up tempo team score 40 is going to be interesting.

You have to understand, Mike couldn't shoot for crap or finish at the rim so he quit trying and still scored 8. He is probably a better player on the parts of the game that stats don't show, but matching his stats won't be a big feat. Other than assists of course.

5-6 ppg out of Williams, 4-5 ppg out of Bohannon. The 2/3 spot will do most of the back court scoring with Jok and company. Gesell is a better shooter than Williams but I would think Williams could finish better at the rim.

5-6 ppg out of Williams, 4-5 ppg out of Bohannon. The 2/3 spot will do most of the back court scoring with Jok and company. Gesell is a better shooter than Williams but I would think Williams could finish better at the rim.

Which 2/3's tho? They are all unproven next year. At least we know Williams will play a lot. We can't say that about many other guards. And Mike "should have" been a better shooter than Williams. For whatever reason it didn't happen for him.

I was always a firm believer that Mike would break out and become a first team type player. After his freshman year I thought he would be one of the best ever at iowa. After his sophomore year I thought he would turn it on as an upperclassmen. Even halfway through his senior year I thought he would finish strong. Now he's out of eligibility and it's time to quit looking at him as the player he could have been.

Which 2/3's tho? They are all unproven next year. At least we know Williams will play a lot. We can't say that about many other guards. And Mike "should have" been a better shooter than Williams. For whatever reason it didn't happen for him.

I was always a firm believer that Mike would break out and become a first team type player. After his freshman year I thought he would be one of the best ever at iowa. After his sophomore year I thought he would turn it on as an upperclassmen. Even halfway through his senior year I thought he would finish strong. Now he's out of eligibility and it's time to quit looking at him as the player he could have been.

Moss and Jok. Williams is just as unproven as Moss. At least Moss wasn't behind Ellingson most of the season. Williams is playing out of position, at least Moss and Jok are in their natural spots. For all we know Bohannon could get more minutes than Williams next year

Moss and Jok. Williams is just as unproven as Moss. At least Moss wasn't behind Ellingson most of the season. Williams is playing out of position, at least Moss and Jok are in their natural spots. For all we know Bohannon could get more minutes than Williams next year

Maybe it's just me but I think Williams not playing in front of Ellingson says more about Brady than it does Christian. Brady got every opportunity to prove his value and keep the minutes. He just didn't do anything with the opportunity.

I think Fran was thinking with Mike & AC, we had 2 seasoned PGs and we had that position covered so we were looking for somebody to step up and play the 2. Turns out it was a better move to have CW play the 1 and keep AC at the 2 or play CW next to Jok and some of the bench than it was to play Ellingson.

I just think it's one of those things you don't know until you try different lineups to see what works as opposed to Williams not being able to beat out Brady.

Williams is going to score a lot of points next year. His first year he played multiple positions. If Bohannon is good enough to take minutes away from him at the point guard position, he will play some at the small forward and off guard, especially if Jok doesn't come back for his senior year. If Williams doesn't score in double digits, I think Iowa is going to be in a downward spiral next year. Uthoff was a guy that had to work on being aggressive, but Williams seem to be naturally aggressive on the basketball court.

Williams is going to score a lot of points next year. His first year he played multiple positions. If Bohannon is good enough to take minutes away from him at the point guard position, he will play some at the small forward and off guard, especially if Jok doesn't come back for his senior year. If Williams doesn't score in double digits, I think Iowa is going to be in a downward spiral next year. Uthoff was a guy that had to work on being aggressive, but Williams seem to be naturally aggressive on the basketball court.

I think that's pretty drastic because the odds Williams averages double digit points are extremely low and I still think we'll be at least an NIT team

Everybody has their opinion. I guess we will have to find out how it all turns out. I think its a pretty sure thing that Williams will average double digits.

Everybody has their opinion. I guess we will have to find out how it all turns out. I think its a pretty sure thing that Williams will average double digits.

You do realize how long it's been since we have had a PG average double digits right? Now you think it's a pretty sure thing a totally unproven one will do it with no experience?

You do realize how long it's been since we have had a PG average double digits right? Now you think it's a pretty sure thing a totally unproven one will do it with no experience?
We've had the same point guard for 4 years. Marble played a lot of point and he averaged double figures tho. As bad at scoring as Gesell was, if Uthoff wasn't on the team, he would have averaged double figures.

It's possible that a guy like Jones, Moss, or Cook will average 12 or more points and we'll still be alright if Williams doesn't score. I'm with you tho, everything points to him being a main piece on a fast paced team, which means he will more than likely be in double figures or close.

We've had the same point guard for 4 years. Marble played a lot of point and he averaged double figures tho. As bad at scoring as Gesell was, if Uthoff wasn't on the team, he would have averaged double figures.

Gesell is bad at scoring and we're just assuming CW will be better at it.

I'll go with 14 to 20 points a game average. If Iowa has a stronger offensive inside game it should be easier to give out assists next year. Iowa is losing Uthoff, but hopefully they will have three or four guys, including Ellingson and Bohannon, that will be more of an offensive threat than last years team had. He should average higher than Gesell in rebounds.

I'll go with 14 to 20 points a game average. If Iowa has a stronger offensive inside game it should be easier to give out assists next year. Iowa is losing Uthoff, but hopefully they will have three or four guys, including Ellingson and Bohannon, that will be more of an offensive threat than last years team had. He should average higher than Gesell in rebounds.

You think Williams will average 14-20 ppg?

When talking about the iowa point guard, I decided to look up Ronnie Lester. Its hard to believe he is 57 years old. I hope Williams enjoys his time at Iowa; because, time goes by fast.