Play in game?

Thursday/Friday is the 1st round of the tournament. Not the 2nd. The first four is to get yourself into the 1st round. They are play in games.

Not to be rude, but had you read my words closer you would have felt no need to quote my post to weigh in on the topic. I made no statements about about whether the first four were play in games or not.

I was simply crediting the quoted poster for what I assumed was satire.

For me it's part of the NCAA tournament, if the loser was to be allowed to play in the NIT then I would call it a play in game.

It’s always exciting to get into the NCAA tournament. Would love to see at least two more wins before getting there. That would build a little hope. If we’re carried into the tournament on a gurney that’s not going to be a good thing.

Maybe this is a brilliant plan by Fran and team. Get a lower seed on purpose and upset the second team we play setting up the pathway to the elite eight. :p:p:p:D

Last edited:
From everything I have seen even if Iowa loses out, they be safe. Bracket matrix has us as an 8 at the moment. Can only lose two more games if that’s the case. I don’t see us falling past 10 in that scenario.

No it’s not.

You can’t play your way in to a tournament you are already in.

You're not in the tournament until you win the play in game. That's the nature of a play in game...

First round starts Thursday/Friday. FIRST round.

But, we can all go in circles about this all day long. It's semantics. Either way, you don't want to be playing in Dayton on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Game. Set. Match.
From the NCAA website:

“The Division I men's basketball tournament is one of the premier events in all of sports.

The 68-team single-elimination tournament holds 67 games over a period of 19 days, a jam-packed end to the season that aptly earned the nickname March Madness.

RELATED: What is March Madness: The NCAA tournament explained

The NCAA tournament begins with Selection Sunday, when the selection committee announces all 68 tournament teams, and ends with the Final Four and championship game three weeks later.”

Note where it says 68 tournament teams. Game, set, match indeed.

You're not in the tournament until you win the play in game. That's the nature of a play in game...

First round starts Thursday/Friday. FIRST round.

But, we can all go in circles about this all day long. It's semantics. Either way, you don't want to be playing in Dayton on Tuesday/Wednesday.
This is completely false according to the NCAA website. See my post above. Yes, it may be semantics, but calling them play in games is simply incorrect. Saying they are play in games doesn’t make it so.

But I agree.....you don’t want to be playing in Dayton.

Which is literally the only place where anyone counts it as a tournament game.

How many legs does a dog have if you call its tail a leg? Four...just because you call its tail a leg doesn't make it a leg.

So if its not the ncaa tournament what it is? a regular season game? So if they expanded the tournament to 120 teams it would still not be the ncaa tournament....

Are these just some games played in the matrix? Some undefinable dimension..

Basically this is just an extension of people crying from when we got in five years ago or so...

That's all it is.

Last edited:
The only people that think of it at part of the tourney are the unfortunate teams that get stuck there.
It's a playin game

But it has nothing to do with what people "think" though...it's a simple fact. Just because there are a bunch of people who fail at basic logic agree with you - doesn't make it truth.

Iowa will finish right around 500. Some of those teams are hot and some are not. If I'm on the committee I'm going to weigh heavily on how they've been playing recently.

So if its not the ncaa tournament what it is? a regular season game? So if they expanded the tournament to 120 teams it would still not be the ncaa tournament....

Are these just some games played in the matrix? Some undefinable dimension..

Basically this is just an extension of people crying from when we got in five years ago or so...

That's all it is.
Correct.

If the Dayton games are not part of the NCAA tournament (according to the “play in game experts”) then the 2 teams that lose should be able to play in the NIT or CBI. And yet they don’t. Perhaps the “play in game” experts can explain that to all us dunderheads who go by the official NCAA website, and not what some fans say.

I dont think we the play in game crowd fail at logic. Looking at the logical dynamics, this is a play in game for entry into the field of 64. When the NCAA chose to add these games, even they called them play in games back in 2011. The fact that they changed the terminology to be more friendly and all inclusive does not change the fact that logically these are play in games.

Latest posts