Pipe Dream

Iowa has played at a top 25 level this whole season without Nunge, Pemsl, Touissant or Patrick Mac so far. They lose Baer. To think that bringing everyone else back and adding those guys in and saying it's a crack pipe dream seems a little unfair at this point.
It's the history of the coach, and the team, that's holding back the dream. One Sweet Sixteen in thirty years is not a good trend.

What we do have a long history of is scewing up just enough in the B1G, along with questionable non con's, to get put on the 8-9 line or the 7-10 line. Where Duke, Kentucky or Villanova are usually waiting in the round of 32. How many times have we been knocked out by the eventual National champion since 1991. Five? Six?

Do you think early NBA entries will ever skip postseason games, like the football players are starting to do? Final Four injuries probably derailed the NBA dreams of at least two players. Louisville's Kevin Ware in 2013 and Kansas Archie Marshall in 1986.
I doubt it. Risk of career ending injuries for basketball are much less common. And the FF is similar to the CFP. I'm not aware of any players that have skipped the CFP. Maybe.

I don't agree, respectfully. He makes bad choices with the ball. Chooses to shoot 2 pt instead of moving back 1 ft & count as 3. He's not hustling after rebounds. Can't or unwilling to pass the ball inside when Cook / Garza are open. When he does get it into the big men, it's late. Often resulting in turnovers. Watch Moss when he's off the ball.
I've been very vocal about Moss's inability to play without the ball.

I've sometimes wondered why it took Fran so long to get a head coaching gig in a major conference.

What I find amazing, is that a week ago, it was all doom and gloom around here. Now after beating Nebraska and Northwestern (murderer's row!) there's a new thread suggesting this team can possibly make the Elite 8 next year.

If Iowa loses to OSU this weekend, the general tone will be back to how we won't win another game this year, I expect.

I tend to overreact too, but this is good stuff.

Over-reaction and hyperbole . . . two things that will get you fired in the real world, but will get you a Nazi-cult following on message boards.

And now I'll engage in both. (using ESPN only)
GatheringMoss - 4 star
the Cook, the thief, his wife and her lover - 4 star
J-Bo - 4 star
Connor-4-real - 4 star
Luke Skygarza - 4 star
GI Joe Weisman with kung-fu grip - 4 star
Paddy McCaffy (graded out higher than Cook) - 4 star

That's seven 4-stars. Call the OP stupid all you like, but even if Cook is gone we only lose Baer (but we have his younger clone so are we really losing him?) and that leaves a core group that should be fantastic next year. If Fran can't make magic with that line-up we should park a van outside his house and blair this at him . . .

as far as this season is concerned I'm getting . . .

Last edited:
Although I agree that Cook is likely leaving... is it really that crazy that an argument could be made for him to stay?

I think the real thing to watch is his class attendance and grade point during this semester. When Ricky Davis didn't come back, it was common knowledge because he simply didn't attend class at all after winter break. If Tyler attends class and keeps up the GPA, there is at least a chance he's coming back.

When I was in HS I shot about 250-500 a day. Depending on if it was a school night or not. During weekends I was in the gym almost all day shooting. How D1 basketball players (and pros for that matter) who can allocate more time to it then I did can't get to where they can hit 80% of their free throws or more and hit open jumpers more consistently is beyond me... Because I got better. Between my freshman and sophomore years in HS I got to be pretty automatic at free throws. You find a feel for what works for you and repeat it over and over. I got to where the moment it left my finger I knew if it was a swish or not. Not just in the hoop. Those guys sure as heck should too...
Many don't know how to practice free throws. I believe, and this is open for discussion, that the best way to practice free throw shooting is to get your legs as tired as they would be at the end of the game, because that's the conditions where you're likely to shoot your most critical free throws.

On top of that , there has to be a consequence for missing, or not hitting your goal, even when it's practice in an empty gym. You have to create that built in pressure to match the pressure of a game on the line.

Neither of these are easy to duplicate but those that can have the advantage, in my opinion.

He could make way more than that. ISU's Matt Thomas and many others make 500k or so a year. I just think most guys want to make a legit run at the NBA before they go over there.
I didn't realize the salaries had risen that much. He would be one of the upper pay scale earners.

I think the real thing to watch is his class attendance and grade point during this semester. When Ricky Davis didn't come back, it was common knowledge because he simply didn't attend class at all after winter break. If Tyler attends class and keeps up the GPA, there is at least a chance he's coming back.

Yeah but Ricky was only here 1 year. With Tyler being here 3, wouldn’t he be close to graduating if he’s taken some summer courses?

Unless he wants to make a living in Europe or G league or D league or whatever it's called. I'd opt for Europe, personally. He can make 100K a year with his room and board paid for.
Aaron Whites net worth is $3 million. I would think he can make a lot of money overseas if he doesn't make the NBA. He probably will be gone after this year either way.
The basketball team will look a lot different next year with 6 ft 11 Garza and 7 ft Nunge along with Toussaint and Fredrick. I think Toussaint, Fredrick, and Nunge will be a lot better than people think. I don't know if they will start, but they definitely will provide quality depth if they don't. Nunge and Fredrick should be a lot stronger next year.

Aaron Whites net worth is $3 million. I would think he can make a lot of money overseas if he doesn't make the NBA. He probably will be gone after this year either way.
The basketball team will look a lot different next year with 6 ft 11 Garza and 7 ft Nunge along with Toussaint and Fredrick. I think Toussaint, Fredrick, and Nunge will be a lot better than people think. I don't know if they will start, but they definitely will provide quality depth if they don't. Nunge and Fredrick should be a lot stronger next year.

To be honest, I didn’t realize White was making that type of money.

But... we’re only talking 1 year. Of course the risk of injury is always there.

I’m hopeful Joe and Nunge will be ok. I’m not high on the Frederick kid.

I've sometimes wondered why it took Fran so long to get a head coaching gig in a major conference.

What I find amazing, is that a week ago, it was all doom and gloom around here. Now after beating Nebraska and Northwestern (murderer's row!) there's a new thread suggesting this team can possibly make the Elite 8 next year.

If Iowa loses to OSU this weekend, the general tone will be back to how we won't win another game this year, I expect.

I tend to overreact too, but this is good stuff.
This is what I was thinking. Iowa has beat meh teams and a few good jerseys this year, but have gotten crushed by MSU and Purdue and choked away against a mediocre Wisconsin team. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me for a decade.... not gonna fool me anymore.

I think if I take the high end of each individual on this roster they could compete for a B1G title, but Fran can’t get consistency from anyone really so it’s not gonna happen.

I don't agree, respectfully. He makes bad choices with the ball. Chooses to shoot 2 pt instead of moving back 1 ft & count as 3. He's not hustling after rebounds. Can't or unwilling to pass the ball inside when Cook / Garza are open. When he does get it into the big men, it's late. Often resulting in turnovers. Watch Moss when he's off the ball.

The shooting part and the feeding the post part, I disagree. Moss has always been a "feelings" type of player, not the "cerebral" player. He makes athletic plays where he doesn't really have to think about a lot of things like where his feet are (long 2 pt vs. 3 pt shot) or a pass to a posted up player (I think the only 2 on the team that do this well are Jordan and Connor). I believe it's the way he played up until he got to the college level.

Yeah but Ricky was only here 1 year. With Tyler being here 3, wouldn’t he be close to graduating if he’s taken some summer courses?

You are possibly correct. I don't know what his academic progression has been. However, he would likely spend more time concentrating on his NBA aspirations more than his economics (substitute class of your choice) test, wouldn't you agree? It's not like he couldn't later pick up academic credits and get his diploma.

Yep.

As far as the "Elite 8" talk goes.. Let's just say I've been watching Iowa basketball since the 80's and more talented Iowa teams than this one have failed to even make it past the first weekend.

The 1986-87 team made the Elite 8. Sweet 16 the year after that. Since then, just one Sweet 16. ONE.

I know it's not last year anymore either, but coming off a 19 loss season, and given this program's history, you guys will have to forgive me if I think even considering the notion of this group realistically making the Elite 8 is a little bit.. How shall we say.. Premature?

Let's get to the NCAA Tournament with a good seed, like 3-5 (or better), and then I'll feel there's a realistic shot of making a deep tournament run.

Your last sentence is key. Unless/until an Iowa team is, at worst, a 5-seed, they are playing a team that, in terms of that current season, has performed significantly better to "earn" that 1- to 4-seed position for the second game. Fran's best seed, thus far, is a 7-seed. That is--literally--a seeding that is positioned to lose by the end of the first weekend. Anything above 4/5 seed playing in the second weekend is "unexpected". Even TDs last team in 1999 "upset" Arkansas (with many thinking UAB could beat us in the first round) to earn the right to play eventual champ UConn in Sweet 16.

I think I know why Fran never got a P5 gig before our idiot AD came calling. But I'm going to keep that to myself. It's nothing scandalous or bad, in case any of the champions think about coming at me.

In reality, what did he do at any mid-major that "screamed" out "P5 material"? Nothing I can find.

Tyler Cook’s game has improved but without the jump shot, I don’t anticipate he’s there and somehow is convinced to stay.

Touissant ends up being legit and can help right away.

We’d have:
JBo, Connor, Touissant
Moss, JBo
Joe, Dailey
Cook
Garza, Kriener

Nunge or Pemsl can play back up minutes at the 4.

What would be the ceiling if that team? Elite 8?
Nice dream if that's true!

The shooting part and the feeding the post part, I disagree. Moss has always been a "feelings" type of player, not the "cerebral" player. He makes athletic plays where he doesn't really have to think about a lot of things like where his feet are (long 2 pt vs. 3 pt shot) or a pass to a posted up player (I think the only 2 on the team that do this well are Jordan and Connor). I believe it's the way he played up until he got to the college level.

I've said this before on here, but watching Moss shoot around in pre game warmups, he probably had is foot on the line in half of his 3 point shots. Why would you possibly do that? If you cant keep your foot off the line in a shoot around, of course you cant in a game either.

Moss has gradually been making smarter decisions on the court, being more agressive, rebounding as of late. He had a beautiful backdoor feed to either Baer or Wiescamp Wednesday night. He is beginning to play like an upperclassman.

Moss has been one of our best all-around players the last few games. He is getting more comfortable shooting the ball and his floor play is very good. He is active on D and moves the ball on offense. His play recently reminds me of Kenyon Murray.....

It would be in Tyler's best interests to stay another year. He has improved his game dramatically this season. Cut the turnovers down, has more assists, is making free throws and draws fouls like bumblebees to a fat man.....

If he sticks around we will be top 25 all season and undoubtedly in The Dance. Then, as always, it will be the luck of the draw, perhaps we won't have to play Villanova on their way to a National Championship destroying #2 Oklahoma by 44 points in the Final Four.....

:cool:

Last edited:
I've said this before on here, but watching Moss shoot around in pre game warmups, he probably had is foot on the line in half of his 3 point shots. Why would you possibly do that? If you cant keep your foot off the line in a shoot around, of course you cant in a game either.

Because, as I said, he isn't "cerebral". He shoots where he feels he should shoot. He doesn't look down to see if his feet are behind the three point line, he just shoots.

Another reason is because I believe that there are two types of long range shooters: 1) those who have to check to make sure their feet are behind the line, and 2) those who just know that their feet are behind the line and don't have to look. Moss would be the first type, Jordan would be the second type.

Moss can get freaky hot from the outside. He is also pretty good at driving in and around the hoop and drawing fouls. He is a very good free throw shooter. I would guess 80% from the line. What is freaky hot? Remember the first half of the ISU game this year? He lit up ISU for 6 first half three pointers! Now that is flat out fun!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts