Pipe Dream

Had better talent than that on the 2013-14 roster. Couldn't win the play in game. Better talent on the 2014-15 roster. Got destroyed by 19 points in the round of 32.
Better talent and a 4 SR, 1 4th yr JR starting line on the 2015-16 roster. Got destroyed by 19 points in the round of 32.
I'm gonna have to see it to believe it, when it comes to a Fran McCaffery coached Iowa team. Sorry.
Why are you sorry? I literally questioned Fran’s ability to coach up that team in the post you are responding to.

Talent level with say a Beilein, maybe sweet 16 type team. With Fran unlikely.

It’s a stupid thread anyway because Cook ain’t coming back.

Why are you sorry? I literally questioned Fran’s ability to coach up that team in the post you are responding to.

Talent level with say a Beilein, maybe sweet 16 type team. With Fran unlikely.

It’s a stupid thread anyway because Cook ain’t coming back.
Agreed. I don't think Cook is coming back. And I don't blame him.

When I was in HS I shot about 250-500 a day. Depending on if it was a school night or not. During weekends I was in the gym almost all day shooting. How D1 basketball players (and pros for that matter) who can allocate more time to it then I did can't get to where they can hit 80% of their free throws or more and hit open jumpers more consistently is beyond me... Because I got better. Between my freshman and sophomore years in HS I got to be pretty automatic at free throws. You find a feel for what works for you and repeat it over and over. I got to where the moment it left my finger I knew if it was a swish or not. Not just in the hoop. Those guys sure as heck should too...
Concur, a puzzle to me.

Cook looks much better at the FT line, but he balks when given a jump shot, just doesn't think he can make it, lack of confidence and technique. (If I was the opponent I would lay off him all the time...take it) Default setting is to drive to the basket and to his credit, look for others a bit more than he has in the past. Right now he reminds me of the QB who has talent but when under duress decides to run the ball, rather than relying on what the QB can do, make passes to the receivers and RBs, and look pass first.

Connor is another guy who doesn't seem to display confidence in his shooting. Baer does, Weiskamp does, JB does, Kriener and Garza do.

Moss, wild, no conscience, can get very hot and carry a team or take way too many shots and hurt the team.

The team needs to adopt, with their whole hearts, a shut down defense that suits them best, and execute it 100% of the time or what they achieve won't be much more than average.

You have to run with the horses you have, play to their strengths.

Concur, a puzzle to me.

Cook looks much better at the FT line, but he balks when given a jump shot, just doesn't think he can make it, lack of confidence and technique. (If I was the opponent I would lay off him all the time...take it) Default setting is to drive to the basket and to his credit, look for others a bit more than he has in the past. Right now he reminds me of the QB who has talent but when under duress decides to run the ball, rather than relying on what the QB can do, make passes to the receivers and RBs, and look pass first.

Connor is another guy who doesn't seem to display confidence in his shooting. Baer does, Weiskamp does, JB does, Kriener and Garza do.

Moss, wild, no conscience, can get very hot and carry a team or take way too many shots and hurt the team.

The team needs to adopt, with their whole hearts, a shut down defense that suits them best, and execute it 100% of the time or what they achieve won't be much more than average.

You have to run with the horses you have, play to their strengths.
Yeah I think that kinda answered your own question. I like your analogy of mobile QBs cause I agree with that for the most part. In practices and scrimmages he can tinker with his game all he wants but when the bright lights are on your still going to go to what puts you in your comfort zone evidently. Something he don't do is catch and shoot in a smooth motion either. He wants to put it down or pause for a long time to read the situation before deciding what to do. Garza is pretty darn good at catching and deciding what to do with the ball be it shoot it right away or fake and make a move or whatever. Cook just isn't comfortable with it. I'd be interesting to know to what extent he practices just catching and shooting. Because he could have as many 10-15 foot jumpers as he'd like to have... Catching and shooting isn't just a guard thing it should be for everyone on the floor thing.

Yeah I think that kinda answered your own question. I like your analogy of mobile QBs cause I agree with that for the most part. In practices and scrimmages he can tinker with his game all he wants but when the bright lights are on your still going to go to what puts you in your comfort zone evidently. Something he don't do is catch and shoot in a smooth motion either. He wants to put it down or pause for a long time to read the situation before deciding what to do. Garza is pretty darn good at catching and deciding what to do with the ball be it shoot it right away or fake and make a move or whatever. Cook just isn't comfortable with it. I'd be interesting to know to what extent he practices just catching and shooting. Because he could have as many 10-15 foot jumpers as he'd like to have... Catching and shooting isn't just a guard thing it should be for everyone on the floor thing.
Probably one of those ultra athletes, better than anyone else by a long shot, in grade school, junior high, high school, can run by out jump, jam over almost anyone, why learn a jump shot?

Good shooters love to shoot, and don't think about shooting, they do it as a reflex.

Had better talent than that on the 2013-14 roster. Couldn't win the play in game. Better talent on the 2014-15 roster. Got destroyed by 19 points in the round of 32.
Better talent and a 4 SR, 1 4th yr JR starting line on the 2015-16 roster. Got destroyed by 19 points in the round of 32.
I'm gonna have to see it to believe it, when it comes to a Fran McCaffery coached Iowa team. Sorry.

Yep.

As far as the "Elite 8" talk goes.. Let's just say I've been watching Iowa basketball since the 80's and more talented Iowa teams than this one have failed to even make it past the first weekend.

The 1986-87 team made the Elite 8. Sweet 16 the year after that. Since then, just one Sweet 16. ONE.

I know it's not last year anymore either, but coming off a 19 loss season, and given this program's history, you guys will have to forgive me if I think even considering the notion of this group realistically making the Elite 8 is a little bit.. How shall we say.. Premature?

Let's get to the NCAA Tournament with a good seed, like 3-5 (or better), and then I'll feel there's a realistic shot of making a deep tournament run.

Yep.

As far as the "Elite 8" talk goes.. Let's just say I've been watching Iowa basketball since the 80's and more talented Iowa teams than this one have failed to even make it past the first weekend.

The 1986-87 team made the Elite 8. Sweet 16 the year after that. Since then, just one Sweet 16. ONE.

I know it's not last year anymore either, but coming off a 19 loss season, and given this program's history, you guys will have to forgive me if I think even considering the notion that this group of players realistically making the Elite 8 is a little bit.. How shall we say.. Premature?

Let's get to the NCAA Tournament with a good seed, like 3-5 (or better), and then I'll feel there's a realistic shot of making a deep tournament run.
Fran's been coaching for 33 years and he's never even been to a Sweet 16. That's not the longest case of bad luck in the history of College coaching, either.

Fran's been coaching for 33 years and he's never even been to a Sweet 16. That's not the longest case of bad luck in the history of College coaching, either.

I've sometimes wondered why it took Fran so long to get a head coaching gig in a major conference.

What I find amazing, is that a week ago, it was all doom and gloom around here. Now after beating Nebraska and Northwestern (murderer's row!) there's a new thread suggesting this team can possibly make the Elite 8 next year.

If Iowa loses to OSU this weekend, the general tone will be back to how we won't win another game this year, I expect.

I tend to overreact too, but this is good stuff.

I've sometimes wondered why it took Fran so long to get a head coaching gig in a major conference.

What I find amazing, is that a week ago, it was all doom and gloom around here. Now after beating Nebraska and Northwestern (murderer's row!) there's a new thread suggesting this team can possibly make the Elite 8 next year.

If Iowa loses to OSU this weekend, the general tone will be back to how we won't win another game this year, I expect.

I think I know why Fran never got a P5 gig before our idiot AD came calling. But I'm going to keep that to myself. It's nothing scandalous or bad, in case any of the champions think about coming at me.

That's because the doom and gloom guys are nowhere to be found after a win. We've played half of a season and are still hanging around top 25. Giving all these guys another year of experience (especially Joe) and adding 5 new players while losing Baer is a pretty significant thing. All they would need to do is become a top 15ish team, then get one upset in the tourney. Far from likely, but the OP never suggested it was.

I think most on here agree he’s not ready for the league. I also think most realize Tyler ideally does not want to stick around.

It doesn’t leave a lot of good options... G league, overseas but if he goes that route will he ever make it back to the league??

The G League/Overseas option for underclassmen isn’t all that common.

Fran certainly would benefit having him back as well as his teammates so probably not far fetched to think they may encourage him to stay.

Although I agree that Cook is likely leaving... is it really that crazy that an argument could be made for him to stay?
I don't think so... I mean if he gets similar feedback from NBA again (sure kinda seems like he would) then his options are what they are. Finishing and graduating would then factor into the decision process if so. That's something isn't it? So yeah an argument could easily be made for him to finish up next yr. But will he....

Moss has gradually been making smarter decisions on the court, being more agressive, rebounding as of late. He had a beautiful backdoor feed to either Baer or Wiescamp Wednesday night. He is beginning to play like an upperclassman.

I don't agree, respectfully. He makes bad choices with the ball. Chooses to shoot 2 pt instead of moving back 1 ft & count as 3. He's not hustling after rebounds. Can't or unwilling to pass the ball inside when Cook / Garza are open. When he does get it into the big men, it's late. Often resulting in turnovers. Watch Moss when he's off the ball.

I don't agree, respectfully. He makes bad choices with the ball. Chooses to shoot 2 pt instead of moving back 1 ft & count as 3. He's not hustling after rebounds. Can't or unwilling to pass the ball inside when Cook / Garza are open. When he does get it into the big men, it's late. Often resulting in turnovers. Watch Moss when he's off the ball.

Moss had the biggest offensive rebound and put back against Nebraska late in the game.

Moss has been better these last 2 game.

I thought the broadcaster did a good job of describing Moss as a baller. He’s getting closer to a being a more polished player.

I like what I’ve seen these last 2 games

Long two pointers with a foot on the line are like fingernails on a blackboard to many people. And Moss is one of the best at it.

I think you are being too hard on him. His rebounding was one of the keys to the Nebraska win. He's increasing his assist totals. But I will take your advice. I'm attending the Illinois game Jan. 20. I'll watch Moss when he's off the ball, in person.

We'll have to wait and see but I doubt TC is back next year.
Do you think early NBA entries will ever skip postseason games, like the football players are starting to do? Final Four injuries probably derailed the NBA dreams of at least two players. Louisville's Kevin Ware in 2013 and Kansas Archie Marshall in 1986.

Latest posts