Pipe Dream

ibahawkeye

Tyler Cook’s game has improved but without the jump shot, I don’t anticipate he’s there and somehow is convinced to stay.

Touissant ends up being legit and can help right away.

We’d have:
JBo, Connor, Touissant
Moss, JBo
Joe, Dailey
Cook
Garza, Kriener

Nunge or Pemsl can play back up minutes at the 4.

What would be the ceiling if that team? Elite 8?

Tyler Cook’s game has improved but without the jump shot, I don’t anticipate he’s there and somehow is convinced to stay.

We’d have:
JBo, Connor, Touissant
Moss, JBo
Joe, Dailey
Cook
Garza, Kriener

2nd or 3rd round in tourney. But only if Moss & Dailey sat. Neither of them have a very high basketball IQ. If either one has an off shooting night, they're useless.

2nd or 3rd round in tourney. But only if Moss & Dailey sat. Neither of them have a very high basketball IQ. If either one has an off shooting night, they're useless.
Moss has gradually been making smarter decisions on the court, being more agressive, rebounding as of late. He had a beautiful backdoor feed to either Baer or Wiescamp Wednesday night. He is beginning to play like an upperclassman.

We’d have:
JBo, Connor, Touissant
Moss, JBo
Joe, Dailey
Cook
Garza, Kriener

Eite 8 with that roster? Crack pipe dream. That roster won't get past round of 32 opponent.

Eite 8 with that roster? Crack pipe dream. That roster won't get past round of 32 opponent.

The roster this year may make the tournament and if they do I think they can win a game.

So... the ceiling of the roster with all these guys a year older in my opinion has to be at least sweet 16.

Getting to the tournament is a healthy goal right now, and in the future.

Although it is nice to dream and a bit of grandiosity won't hurt things.

Lots of teams who do well tend to have the desire to play lock down defense.

Aside from the players, does Fran and his staff have what it takes to be more than a long tenured group of underachievers?

We’d have:
JBo, Connor, Touissant
Moss, JBo
Joe, Dailey
Cook
Garza, Kriener

It depends who’s coaching number one and number two how good Joe T is.

Fran would likely try to play everyone including Pat Mccaff who I think should redshirt. If John Beilein were the Coach probably a different story.

On Joe T it’s pretty apparent we still lack a true ball handler and guy that can create shots for our shooters. Cmac is okay and might be slightly ahead of the other guys but that says more about our other ballhandlers than it does Cmac in my opinion.

But to the OP’s point you’d have a 1st Team All B1G guy in Cook, two 2nd Team All league level guys in Garza and Jow W, with a couple very experienced seniors in Moss and Bohannon.

Exactly. I get the sense that Tyler might take a different path than the norm.
If this is his last yr at Iowa he'll have to. He's still not NBA ready if he'll ever be. Be it over seas or D-league or whatever it's called now he'll have to go one of those routes.

If this is his last yr at Iowa he'll have to. He's still not NBA ready if he'll ever be. Be it over seas or D-league or whatever it's called now he'll have to go one of those routes.
Needs to take about 5,000 mid range jumpers per day, until he thinks he can make them in a game.

Odd how everyone in this thread is discounting Patrick. 4 star kid. Cause he's skinny, or cause he's Fran's kid?

Personally, I think Cook is gone and Patrick will be in the mix for a starting position. But, I would prefer that JW move down to the 2 and Patrick to the 3 in that scenario.

The roster this year may make the tournament and if they do I think they can win a game.

So... the ceiling of the roster with all these guys a year older in my opinion has to be at least sweet 16.
We'll have to wait and see but I doubt TC is back next year.

Iowa has played at a top 25 level this whole season without Nunge, Pemsl, Touissant or Patrick Mac so far. They lose Baer. To think that bringing everyone else back and adding those guys in and saying it's a crack pipe dream seems a little unfair at this point.

Odd how everyone in this thread is discounting Patrick. 4 star kid. Cause he's skinny, or cause he's Fran's kid?

Personally, I think Cook is gone and Patrick will be in the mix for a starting position. But, I would prefer that JW move down to the 2 and Patrick to the 3 in that scenario.
Because he's skinny. He's going to need a couple of seasons to bulk up and be effective against BIG competition. IMO. Unless we move JW to the 2 and play Patrick at the 3. At this point, I'm just not sure where Patrick's position is going to be. He cannot play the 4 in the BIG.

Getting to the tournament is a healthy goal right now, and in the future.

Although it is nice to dream and a bit of grandiosity won't hurt things.

Lots of teams who do well tend to have the desire to play lock down defense.

Aside from the players, does Fran and his staff have what it takes to be more than a long tenured group of underachievers?
Exactly. The level of athleticism and defense we're likely to see in the round of 32 is better than what we have on that roster. At least in my opinion. We've had better rosters under Fran, get beat down in the round of 32.

Needs to take about 5,000 mid range jumpers per day, until he thinks he can make them in a game.
When I was in HS I shot about 250-500 a day. Depending on if it was a school night or not. During weekends I was in the gym almost all day shooting. How D1 basketball players (and pros for that matter) who can allocate more time to it then I did can't get to where they can hit 80% of their free throws or more and hit open jumpers more consistently is beyond me... Because I got better. Between my freshman and sophomore years in HS I got to be pretty automatic at free throws. You find a feel for what works for you and repeat it over and over. I got to where the moment it left my finger I knew if it was a swish or not. Not just in the hoop. Those guys sure as heck should too...

But to the OP’s point you’d have a 1st Team All B1G guy in Cook, two 2nd Team All league level guys in Garza and Jow W, with a couple very experienced seniors in Moss and Bohannon.
Had better talent than that on the 2013-14 roster. Couldn't win the play in game. Better talent on the 2014-15 roster. Got destroyed by 19 points in the round of 32.
Better talent and a 4 SR, 1 4th yr JR starting line on the 2015-16 roster. Got destroyed by 19 points in the round of 32.
I'm gonna have to see it to believe it, when it comes to a Fran McCaffery coached Iowa team.

Last edited:

This was a Pipe dream and we're much better off having Tyler Cook than relying on Patrick as a freshman. In fact, if Tyler were to stay I think that would provide the perfect opportunity to redshirt Patrick.

Latest posts