Phil Steele's "dis" on Vandy - no all-conf

STATS aRE EVERYTHING!!!!!

Not everything. But he put up very respectable numbers individually. It is however a team game and our wins and losses don't fall entirely at his feet.

He is a very solid QB who will be drafted. You would hardly know it from the way people talk here.

Not everything. But he put up very respectable numbers individually. It is however a team game and our wins and losses don't fall entirely at his feet.

He is a very solid QB who will be drafted. You would hardly know it from the way people talk here.

That frustrates a lot us, but at the same time, it is the wins that we all want. I just wish people could see more of whats going on.

Steele is obviously predicting this based on "potential" and not past results. Most people can agree that Urban Meyer's offense should help Braxton Miller become a better all around player. He was a very highly recruited player for a reason; he just needs the right situation and experience.

Iowa lost a lot of key components on offense, so it is a possibility that JVB's production could take a step back or not improve. He had very good numbers last year; he just needs to improve in certain situations.

Either way, I hope JVB reads it and plays like he has something to prove.

I have to tell u the truth and Im not being a smart arse here.....I havent seen those stats broke down by game in sometime. Those are very, very good stats for a new QB, Cleary he has issues on the road, but his accuracy numbers are better than I rmbr. Just like most things eventually the negativity affects us all and jades our thoughts.....thats a solid QB!!

His best games were against the worst defenses. It isnt being negative...just pointing out what happened last year.

His best games were against the worst defenses. It isnt being negative...just pointing out what happened last year.

For the record thts pretty normal and I wasnt saying u in general are negative, but there is pleny of negativity in the world and in here....the world dont need more negativity and quite frankly Ricky had plenty of poor games against good D's...I struggle to understand what people want here.......these were good D's for a reason and would it have been better had he struggled in all of them?

SPUD - I dig your thoughts and think you are one of the smarter guys in the room always, but this isn't your best moment here.

What a silly thing to say! We are basing judgement based on the body of evidence that we have seen so far. You wonder if people (me) will change their tune if he wins 9 games this year?

Of course we will, because the body of work and evidence we have will have changed.

The film that we have on him to this point is more mediocre games than good games.

If Vandenburg does exactly the same thing but the recievers dont drop a ton of balls, running backs take some wide open lanes to the house instead of 15 yards and the defense is able to get three and outs he is somehow a better QB?

Your logic is absolute garbage. That makes as much sense as me arguing that past QBs have actually won zero games and that the other 21 starters are solely responsible for the wins.

Going off wins and losses alone is a moronic was to judge QBs. Serioulsy what role do you thing the rest of the team plays?

Put the 2011 defense on 2009 team and they are 7-5 at best, same for 08,04, and 03.

Last edited:
Did you even look at the game splits?

What I am saying is that if you put Stanzi or Tate or Banks or McCann on last years team, we may not have won more games but our offense would have been better.

JVB put up good numbers against Tennessee Tech, Pitt, ULM, JNU, Indiana and Purdue. He was acceptable against Iowa State, Minn and Mich. He didn't belong on the field against Penn State, Michigan State or Nebraska. He was equally awful in the first half of the Pitt game.

In my mind a QB that completes 50% or under of his passes with 2 TD and 4 INT's in THREE OF YOUR CONFERENCE GAMES is not worthy of being considered ONE OF THE TOP FOUR QB'S IN THE CONFERENCE THE FOLLOWING YEAR.

The guy doesn't suck, but he's not all world, and I can promise you that if he looks the same this year, he will be nowhere near an NFL field. Lots of the drops were the result of him throwing the ball way too hard or making routine plays circus catches.

What I don't understand is how Davis is going to be first team WR if the quarterback isn't even top 4 in the league.

WHile I think JVB needs to improve from last year, there is no reason to think he won't because he is an intelligent kid who works hard. That is why I don't get Miller being on there or Martinz because I am assuming that Steele thinks they will improve and that is why they are on there. So why doesn't he think Vandenberg will improve. If he ups his play on the road he will probably have the best single season stats of any Iowa QB and he will definitely lead the league in passing yards if he does that as well. So it is rather curious that he left him off.

What I don't understand is how Davis is going to be first team WR if the quarterback isn't even top 4 in the league.

Because Robinson, Martinez, Scheelhaase and Miller aren't likely to have a WR put up big numbers.

Big stats don't necessarily equate to big wins. We saw this first hand last year. It's not irrational that some would speculate JVB to have another good numbers year without the wins.

What I am saying is that if you put Stanzi or Tate or Banks or McCann on last years team, we may not have won more games but our offense would have been better.

JVB put up good numbers against Tennessee Tech, Pitt, ULM, JNU, Indiana and Purdue. He was acceptable against Iowa State, Minn and Mich. He didn't belong on the field against Penn State, Michigan State or Nebraska. He was equally awful in the first half of the Pitt game.

In my mind a QB that completes 50% or under of his passes with 2 TD and 4 INT's in THREE OF YOUR CONFERENCE GAMES is not worthy of being considered ONE OF THE TOP FOUR QB'S IN THE CONFERENCE THE FOLLOWING YEAR.

The guy doesn't suck, but he's not all world, and I can promise you that if he looks the same this year, he will be nowhere near an NFL field. Lots of the drops were the result of him throwing the ball way too hard or making routine plays circus catches.

Well here is the problem and the reason many get so frustrated over here......to a degree you just described all 4 of those QBs on that list....Drob completed 45% of his passes against us and 37.5% vs MSU…..people just aren’t being honest or at least fair in how they rate these guys. I suppose it’s typical but really it sure aint right?!?!

He also rushed for over 1,000 yards... different kind of QB for sure, but the point is, he made things happen.

Look, I'm not defending the other guys being there, I'm just saying not putting JVB on there isn't a slight.

OK, let's look at game splits. In 2 of the 5 conference games that Stanzi started and completed his junior year (Penn St. and Indiana), he completed 46.1% of his passes (under your 50% threshold) and had 2 TDs and 7 INTs. Are you suggesting that Stanzi should not have been considered ONE OF THE TOP FOUR QBS IN THE CONFERENCE ENTERING THE 2010 SEASON??? No you're not. The only difference is that Adrian Clayborn took a blocked punt to the house (Penn St.) and Tyler Sash somehow took a plinko chip to the house (Indiana). Those types of plays by the defense didn't happen in 2011. Too bad FOR THE TEAM!

In my opinion, BOTH Stanzi and JVB are above average QBs and I'm glad that both were/are Hawkeyes. I simply don't understand anything to the contrary.

Stanzi was maddening, and believe me, I understand how close we were to a 7-5 season again in 2009 - it's why I call KF a 7-5 coach.

PS... you also forgot two blocked FG"s in a row.

But it is UNDENIABLE that Stanzi had a certain, je ne sais pas. He could be Vinny Testaverde for 50 minutes and John Elway for the last 10.

I thought JVB had that after the Pitt game, but that seems to be more of an anomoly than the norm.

He also rushed for over 1,000 yards... different kind of QB for sure, but the point is, he made things happen.

Look, I'm not defending the other guys being there, I'm just saying not putting JVB on there isn't a slight.

But he did NOT in those losses clearly....

Tom Dienhart ‏@BTNTomDienhart
I am stunned that Phil Steele doesn’t have Iowa’s James Vandenberg as one of the top four QBs in the Big Ten. Just a shameful omission.

It will be curious to see if some poster's change their tune about JVB if he repeats his numbers from last season and Iowa wins 9 games this season.
SPUD - I dig your thoughts and think you are one of the smarter guys in the room always, but this isn't your best moment here.What a silly thing to say! We are basing judgement based on the body of evidence that we have seen so far. You wonder if people (me) will change their tune if he wins 9 games this year? Of course we will, because the body of work and evidence we have will have changed. The film that we have on him to this point is more mediocre games than good games.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, in this post. JVB was underwhelming at times in nearly every game, but was hamstrung (IMO) by a running attack that lacked explosion, a defense that was not up to typical Iowa standards, and an OC that was an idiot savant- at times his playcalling was uncanny, but mostly idiotic.

JVB has some flaws that only he can improve- pocket presence, locking onto a single target, and throwing on the move. I don't know if Davis will be better than KOK, but I know he will be different which should only help JVB this season. Teams like Northwestern and Michigan State will likely be able to sell out against certain formations bades on long established tendencies. I think criticism is healthy, and that JVB has plenty of room to grow. If JVB leads an offense that tops 33.0 ppg and again has a td/int ratio of better than 3/1 and we go 7-5 he will not be to blame.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, in this post. JVB was underwhelming at times in nearly every game, but was hamstrung (IMO) by a running attack that lacked explosion, a defense that was not up to typical Iowa standards, and an OC that was an idiot savant- at times his playcalling was uncanny, but mostly idiotic.

JVB has some flaws that only he can improve- pocket presence, locking onto a single target, and throwing on the move. I don't know if Davis will be better than KOK, but I know he will be different which should only help JVB this season. Teams like Northwestern and Michigan State will likely be able to sell out against certain formations bades on long established tendencies. I think criticism is healthy, and that JVB has plenty of room to grow. If JVB leads an offense that tops 33.0 ppg and again has a td/int ratio of better than 3/1 and we go 7-5 he will not be to blame.

Yikes! Then he is going to be worse than underwhelming this season! No running game and a Ferentz worst D-line. Plus a new OC to adjust to.

Hey Springsteen,

I'm curious how you would rate Ricky Stanzi's senior year against JVB's junior year. Similar stats and wins. Just curious...because if you were to ask me, Stanzi's year was far less impressive.

Latest posts