Phil Steele's "dis" on Vandy - no all-conf

I have to say, my god there are some morons on here. JVB numbers put him in the top four hands down. Steelechase...seriously...how good was Illinois at the end of the year. Let me see, McNutt has a career year, best in Iowa history for the most part, Keenan Davis catches 50 and drops 20.

He didn't play well against Penn State, MSU, and Nebraska because they were better TEAMS and we couldn't run the ball against those teams. When your offense is predicated on play action and you can't run the ball...guess what, you are in deep (&*$. But it was all JVB's fault.

My understanding is that Phil Steele got most of his information from the "whiner" wing of the HawkeyeNation message board.

The only stat that matters is W/L. He also didn't play well against Iowa State, Minnesota, the first half of Pitt, and while he was good in some games, he only showed brilliance in one half of one game.

Bottom line - you get behind center, you are the most important single player on a football team.

Who knows, but wev'e had a lot of doubters proved wrong on here before.....in fact many, many, many times.....:D

I agree but when a QB is drafted in the 1st 3 rounds that team expects him to be their starter in the near future. Unless he has improved a lot I just dont see a QB with marginal accuracy who got most of his stats in the non conference season against lesser opponents (he only had 13 passing TD's in conference with 7 of those coming against Purdue and Indiana) being drafted in the top 3 rounds.

I agree but when a QB is drafted in the 1st 3 rounds that team expects him to be their starter in the near future. Unless he has improved a lot I just dont see a QB with marginal accuracy who got most of his stats in the non conference season against lesser opponents (he only had 13 passing TD's in conference with 7 of those coming against Purdue and Indiana) being drafted in the top 3 rounds.

Well I’m not saying he will be (in fact he’d have to get major pub), but quite frankly if I started listing the amount of poor and uninformed things people have said over here, that were alter disproved, Id have several posters mad at me yet again….…:eek:

Point being I’m not that upset with Vandys play for a first year starting QB and quite frankly I thought he played pretty good in several games and if we had 10 less drops and 10 less, critical false start penalties KOK is still here and you guys are still on the back burner…:D

Well I’m not saying he will be (in fact he’d have to get major pub), but quite frankly if I started listing the amount of poor and uninformed things people have said over here, that were alter disproved, Id have several posters mad at me yet again….…:eek:

Point being I’m not that upset with Vandys play for a first year starting QB and quite frankly I thought he played pretty good in several games and if we had 10 less drops and 10 less, critical false start penalties KOK is still here and you guys are still on the back burner…:D

I am a Vandy fan - I just dont see the skills to be a 3rd round or better draft pick. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it...doesnt mean I think he will have a bad year

Braxton Miller is nowhere near the top 4 QBs in the league, let alone #2. He was so awful at times last year. Against Illinois last year he finished the game 1-4 with 17 yards. No other QB played in that game. That is pathetic. And that is Phil Steele's #2 QB in the B1G. Makes sense.

Braxton Miller is nowhere near the top 4 QBs in the league, let alone #2. He was so awful at times last year. Against Illinois last year he finished the game 1-4 with 17 yards. No other QB played in that game. That is pathetic. And that is Phil Steele's #2 QB in the B1G. Makes sense.

Wow, I don't know what Steele is thinking here honestly.

I guess Miller is getting the most benefit of the doubt of all time based on what seems to be almost entirely being coached by Myer.

Seems like a bad criteria for a QB that was not in the top 2/3 of the league last year.

Well I’m a Phil Steele fan but he is far from full proof and you are right Miller was absolutely horrendous in a number of games last year. And I mean epically bad…I watched him play several times. Now I do think he’ll improve but Ill also tell you….I watched Cardale Jones (rs Frosh) play in high school and although he is raw, he is big.... 6-5ish 230ish and he has some skills himself, so I don’t think it’s set in stone Miller plays exclusively unless he tears it up early.

Steele is a pretty smart guy, but he isn't omniscient. He is also in the business of selling magazines. I can understanf putting Braxton Miller in the top four given his fit in Meyer's scheme but JVB is light years ahead of Scheelhause.
Jvb will be a top 5 Iowa Qb numbers-wise after this season. He isn't to blame for taking over for one of the worst Ferentz era defenses or for Coker's lack of explosion type running plays last season.
It will be curious to see if some poster's change their tune about JVB if he repeats his numbers from last season and Iowa wins 9+ games this season.

It will be curious to see if some poster's change their tune about JVB if he repeats his numbers from last season and Iowa wins 9+ games this season.

SPUD - I dig your thoughts and think you are one of the smarter guys in the room always, but this isn't your best moment here.

What a silly thing to say! We are basing judgement based on the body of evidence that we have seen so far. You wonder if people (me) will change their tune if he wins 9 games this year?

Of course we will, because the body of work and evidence we have will have changed.

The film that we have on him to this point is more mediocre games than good games.

Martinez is really the only one of those four that I think isn't worthy. He's pretty awful. Vandy hasn't really proven anything yet, anyway. Nothing to get all butthurt about.

SPUD - I dig your thoughts and think you are one of the smarter guys in the room always, but this isn't your best moment here.

What a silly thing to say! We are basing judgement based on the body of evidence that we have seen so far. You wonder if people (me) will change their tune if he wins 9 games this year?

Of course we will, because the body of work and evidence we have will have changed.

The film that we have on him to this point is more mediocre games than good games.

I guess Im going to have to go back and watch the tapes again because holy snikes, he most have put up incredible numbers in a couple games.....to have mostly medicore ones?!

The truth is his thgts are dead on.......he is saying if he had the same or even worse stats, say 2800 yds, 12 ints and say 22 Tds but won 10 games peoples opinion would change and it wouldnt really be based on anything other than more wins and all tht proves is the old axiom about coaches and Qbs!

Martinez is really the only one of those four that I think isn't worthy. He's pretty awful. Vandy hasn't really proven anything yet, anyway. Nothing to get all butthurt about.

No butthurt people in here, but I do know thts the word of the day around here.....

I guess Im going to have to go back and watch the tapes again because holy snikes, he most have put up incredible numbers in a couple games.....to have mostly medicore ones?!

The truth is his thgts are dead on.......he is saying if he had the same or even worse stats, say 2800 yds, 12 ints and say 22 Tds but won 10 games peoples opinion would change and it wouldnt really be based on anything other than more wins and all tht proves is the old axiom about coaches and Qbs!

I've said all along that it's all about W/L.

He can throw there is no doubt about that. I don't think he's very heady and I don't think he likes getting hit very much.

James Vandenberg Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

There are quite a few mediocre-poor games in there especially on the road against good defenses. Stats dont tell the whole story but there were plenty of games he wasnt sharp

James Vandenberg Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

There are quite a few mediocre-poor games in there especially on the road against good defenses. Stats dont tell the whole story but there were plenty of games he wasnt sharp

I have to tell u the truth and Im not being a smart arse here.....I havent seen those stats broke down by game in sometime. Those are very, very good stats for a new QB, Cleary he has issues on the road, but his accuracy numbers are better than I rmbr. Just like most things eventually the negativity affects us all and jades our thoughts.....thats a solid QB!!

Latest posts